Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4413630 - 01/10/10 07:10 PM 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results?
needs a Charger Offline
authentic and adventurous
Post Master Supreme

Loc: O H! I O!
Will I see any difference in results if I'm doing 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 using the same amount of weight?

#4413742 - 01/10/10 07:50 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: needs a Charger]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
What kind of results do you want to see?

Sets of 10 = general fitness, some hypertrophy
Sets of 15 = some hypertrophy, more cardio

There seems to be different thresholds, generall. 12 reps is pretty perfect for growing muscles. Above 12 is more for cardio work. 7-10 is great for general fitness. 6 and below is for strength (and the lower the number of reps, the higher the strength gain).

But these are just general guidelines. It really depends on how much weight you're moving vs. your max within those sets. Doing 70% of your max for 10 reps is pretty damn good. Doing 40% of your max for 15 is pretty terrible, provided that's not a superset.

Does that make sense?

#4414937 - 01/11/10 09:52 AM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: Silock]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Do the reps as fast as you can, and then you get all the benefits. \:\)
#4416530 - 01/11/10 04:45 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: NateD]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Not really \:\)
#4416729 - 01/11/10 05:28 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: Silock]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well shit it's sure worked for me. Although it probably depends on the particular lift you're doing, but doing workouts more intensely is better for you IMO.
#4417725 - 01/11/10 09:56 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: NateD]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Intense and doing the reps as fast as possible are two different things.

How long have you been lifting? Just curious.

There are a lot of negative things that can happen when you rush a lift. For one thing, if you're lifting heavy, you're not going to be able to explode into it like you would a lighter lift. Also, if you're not very strict on your form, doing lighter weights faster will make you move the weights in an unnatural way.

I'm sure that's not a problem for you, but it can happen to anyone.

If you're training for strength, sure you don't want to take 10 minute breaks, but you won't give your muscle adequate recovery time by working them every 60 seconds. That works for hypertrophy, but again, those are two different goals.

Also, a good way to train your nervous system for heavier loads is to lift lighter weights more slowly, but pretend they're heavy. By making sure you engage all of your muscles, and concentrating on a slow, deliberate lift of lighter weight, you can get your nervous system to better adapt to higher loads and thus, higher intensity.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because there's certainly a time and place for explosive lifting. But I am saying it depends on your goals. It works great in things like Crossfit, but then, *most* (not all, because there are absolutely exceptions) of the time, you're not using really heavy weights like someone purely training for strength would be.

You can vary the intensity of your workouts and still give adequate recovery time when training for strength. A good way to do this is to work opposite muscle groups. Do Bench, and then Rows. Incline, and then Pull-ups. Dips and then cable rows. That sort of thing. You can get in a quality, heavy weight, low rep, low tempo set, then move on to another quality, heavy weight, low rep, low tempo set on an opposing muscle group. By the time you get back to the first one, your muscle have had adequate recovery time for strength training, and you've kept up the intensity.

#4420581 - 01/12/10 05:17 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: Silock]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lol, I'm not so sure I like your question about how long I've been lifting. The answer is 11 years, started in high school at 16, now 27.

I agree with you on form being important. And I agree with most of your conventional wisdom but I think explosive lifts and intensity with workouts have a lot more benefit than most people realize (especially the olympic lifts). Kinda like how doing sprints often bring more benefits than meets the eye.

That all said, I'm glad I gave up the whole traditional way of lifting that most of us are used to.

#4420935 - 01/12/10 06:47 PM Re: 3 sets of 10 vs. 2 sets of 15 - same results? [Re: NateD]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: NateD Z24
Lol, I'm not so sure I like your question about how long I've been lifting. The answer is 11 years, started in high school at 16, now 27.

I was really just curious.

Quote:
I agree with you on form being important. And I agree with most of your conventional wisdom but I think explosive lifts and intensity with workouts have a lot more benefit than most people realize (especially the olympic lifts). Kinda like how doing sprints often bring more benefits than meets the eye.

IMO, intense workouts are a product of your overall effort, not how quickly you lift the weight. Like I said, though, that kind of thing has its place; it just depends on your goals.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads