Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4417186 - 01/11/10 07:03 PM getting my ass back into shape?
1lowvento Offline
Jr Member

Loc: nyc
I'd like to develop some sort of a fitness program to help keep my sorry ass in shape. I'm in average shape right now, I'm 27, 5'11 165lbs. I've always kept physically active, sports in HS and recreationally in college, and have lifted weights on and off throughout. I've never weighed more than about 175. My lifting routine has always been roughly based off of the routine I learned in my HS weights class, which is as follows:

core lifts: 1 week of 3x10 reps, 1 week of 4x6 reps, 1 week of 4x3 reps, repeat
supplemental lifts: 1 week of 2x10 reps, 2 weeks of 3x8 reps, repeat

Thing is, I don't really want to be the next Mark McGwire, as I would like to stay my same size but loose the fat/stay healthy for long term health. I don't want to be eating 300g of protein a day if I can help it. However, I don't really know any fitness routines other than weight lifting and running.

Last March I joined a gym when I was in even worse shape, lifted for 3+ months and was getting to the point where my clothes were not fitting properly (I wear slim fit pants, so it's not saying much). I don't want to buy a new wardrobe, just want to stay in shape.

My gym is nice for NYC standard (which means anemic for the rest of the country) I have access to free-weights, cardio, spinning, and punching bags. Any suggestions?

#4417738 - 01/11/10 10:01 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: 1lowvento]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
If you're happy with your size, just use low reps and train for strength. Do sets and reps of 5 on the core and supplemental lifts. That will let you gain strength without a ton of size increase.

You don't need 300g of protein. At your body weight, 100-125g would be more than enough to build muscle and stay active without losing it.

Lift 3 times a week, do HIIT cardio 3 times per week. Easy. Does your gym have classes? Do you like to play sports? Try doing that for your cardio or an alternate lifting day.

#4417799 - 01/11/10 10:19 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: Silock]
1lowvento Offline
Jr Member

Should I be lifting and doing cardio on the same days? I've got a pretty hectic schedule, 12 hours of my day is given to work and I also spend about half of the days at my girlfriend's apt.

My gym does have a few classes, spinning, abs, thai kickboxing to name a few. I played all kinds of sports back in HS and college (basketball, baseball, cycling) but since moving to NYC I have found it difficult do to these things.

#4417851 - 01/11/10 10:30 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: 1lowvento]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
You can do both. Do 30 minutes of lifting and 30 minutes of HIIT. I'd suggest sports if you're worried about it getting boring or something.
#4417899 - 01/11/10 10:45 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: Silock]
1lowvento Offline
Jr Member

Yeah, I do get bored just running on a treadmill, I like to be going places or doing things while I'm working out.
#4418554 - 01/12/10 09:01 AM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: 1lowvento]
LuckyRVA Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Queens, NY
What gym do you use?

#4420938 - 01/12/10 06:47 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: LuckyRVA]
1lowvento Offline
Jr Member

evolution sports club, 37th st and 35t ave
#4421072 - 01/12/10 07:43 PM Re: getting my ass back into shape? [Re: 1lowvento]
LuckyRVA Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Queens, NY
is that astoria?

at any rate, good luck with the weight loss/tightening things up. If you keep it up long enough it'll become a sweet sweet addiction and you'll feel like a lazy ass if you don't hit the gym.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads