Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4415084 - 01/11/10 10:52 AM Losing weight faster than expected??i
Rain Machine Offline
Official Piece of Shit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, oh masters of fitness, I come to you with a strange question.

Is it possible to figure out why one might be losing weight at a rate somewhat faster than planned? Let me explain.

I've been changing my eating habits since the end of last semester, but I only really started counting calories hard-core about 10 days ago or so, along with tracking my weight. I signed up at myfitnesspal.com at mrnismo's reccomendation, plugged in all the info there, and set my goals. I started at 167.8 pounds. My goal is 155, just to lean up before I start a hypercaloric diet and start really hitting the weights. To that end I've been on a 1900 calorie diet.

Thing is, between then (about 10 days ago) and now, I've lost 4.5 pounds. I should only be running a calorie deficit of about 500 a day; I'm drinking tons of water (3 liters a day or so), and I'm exercising (doing P90 stuff, mostly), but not *that* hard.

What gives? I can't figure out how I've lost weight that quickly, and I'm not sure if its healthy or not. I want to make sure I'm burning *fat*, not muscle. I've gotten a bit smaller around the waist and hips, but not much (an inch or so).

Could it just be that I grossly underestimated the amount of calories I burn in a day? Any ideas? O_O

#4415188 - 01/11/10 11:27 AM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Rain Machine]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Could be water weight. Also you may be underestimating the amount of your calorie deficit. P90X probably burns a decent amount...
#4415413 - 01/11/10 12:32 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: NateD]
jimspeed Offline
Sr Member

Loc: San Diego/Las Vegas
starts with mostly water weight.

Weight yourself weekly and see how it flutuates. 1900 calories maybe too low.

#4415529 - 01/11/10 01:04 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Rain Machine]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
It's water weight. Keep up what you are doing and you will continue to lose weight, but at a slower (normal) pace. Ramp up your training if you aren't seeing the results you want.
#4415947 - 01/11/10 02:42 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Serendipitous]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
Agree with everyone else. You'll always see a quick drop in weight when you first start a new diet whether it's water or 'shock' or whatever.

Some people get frustrated when weight loss slows but you won't will you :-)

Be happy with what you have done so far and keep it up. You can make slight adjustments as needed now that you know how to log calories.

I will say though that being a pretty small guy is tough to really get rid of all the fat. I started P90x in June 2008 at 6ft ~180lbs and maybe %20-%25 bodyfat. I ended up having to go down to 161 lbs to get to %10 bodyfat and I was skinny as hell by then.

The more muscle mass you have, the easier it is to burn fat and you'll look a helluva lot better doing it. I guess what I'm saying is spend a few months getting rid of some fat, but at your weight you can't afford to go too awfully long in calorie deficit. Bust your ass for a few months, maybe see some abs then work on putting on some muscle :-)

#4416004 - 01/11/10 02:52 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: mrnismo]
LuckyRVA Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Queens, NY
The second I look at a salad funny I lose 5 pounds. But, after that it's much harder to lose the weight. Like other said it's mostly water weight that's first to go.

#4416535 - 01/11/10 04:46 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: LuckyRVA]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Water!
#4417308 - 01/11/10 07:58 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Silock]
Rain Machine Offline
Official Piece of Shit
Post Master Supreme

Even though I'm drinking like 3 liters of water a day?

Note that I'm only trying to get down to the mid 150s. I was just planning on it taking, oh, 2-3 months to get there, starting from 168. I'm 6'1", so even at 163 like I am now I'm pretty damned lean. I've just got a bit of padding around the stomach I'd like to see thin out a bit before I go whole-hog trying to gain muscle mass.

Pic?

#4417313 - 01/11/10 08:00 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Rain Machine]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

You'll piss that water out as you are taking it in. Trust us, we're doctors ;\)
#4417377 - 01/11/10 08:22 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Serendipitous]
Rain Machine Offline
Official Piece of Shit
Post Master Supreme

I just don't see how it would have contributed to losing "water weight" if I'm not dehydrating myself, unless I was somehow retaining fluid before improving my diet.

Note that I don't care, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything detrimental to my future goals.

#4417471 - 01/11/10 08:52 PM Re: Losing weight faster than expected??i [Re: Rain Machine]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

http://www.weightlossforall.com/losing-water-weight.htm
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads