Page 180 of 261 « First<178179180181182>Last »
Topic Options
#7166909 - 07/09/13 05:18 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Utah
still playing with the lens

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7167279 - 07/09/13 10:25 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
of the watermelon, what i would expect from food photographers that know more than I, is that the light source could stand to be softer. The larger chunk out of focus I think would work just fine with a softer light. In or out, just depends on your preference of course.
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7167555 - 07/09/13 12:30 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: chef]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks. I have no lighting, no flashes or anything. That was just standard kitchen lighting. Kind of an impromptu thing really.

I should prob invest in a basic setup at this point.

#7167792 - 07/09/13 01:29 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: MetalheaD]
urapnis Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seoul, South Korea
 Originally Posted By: MetalheaD
LIKE! Nice shot Nate.

Here's one I really like from a recent bridal shoot:

Is she the one who was complaining about her panty lines showing?

#7167900 - 07/09/13 02:04 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: urapnis]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
You're confusing me with someone else. Going back to the thread, looks like some guy named "Jaxxx" said that. I have a helper that checks for crap like that on-set.

Actually, kinda funny, when I delivered her pics she looked at them and wanted to know what I did to make her look so skinny. Honestly, I didn't do anything. But I'll take credit, lol. I only saw her after the makeup and hair extensions were in, so I didn't know what she looks like day-to-day until I checked out her facebook weeks later.

#7168324 - 07/09/13 05:40 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

That was sorta what I was thinking. In that case, just diffusing the light directly over/behind the food can do the trick to soften the shadows. Tough though with just kitchen light when it's already kinda dim and you're trying to hold a camera at the same time.
 Originally Posted By: salty
Thanks. I have no lighting, no flashes or anything. That was just standard kitchen lighting. Kind of an impromptu thing really.

I should prob invest in a basic setup at this point.

David Hobby, while I don't like him much, has a pretty good setup with Lighting 101 on his blog. Runs through the basics pretty well, and offers a kit that is super simple but will work pretty well for a lot. Don Giannatti's Lighting Essentials is good too. He's the guy that does the p52 program. He's done two Creative Live broadcasts, one strictly on table top photography. Simple, goofy guy, doesn't use a lot of high end gear, but has decades of experience to make it all work.

#7168446 - 07/09/13 07:06 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: chef]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
I Hobby. He totally made the $100 I dropped on the Flashbus Tour worth it. I went in already a fan of McNally and he was good, but did nothing new I seen in his videos/books (though he did shake my hand )

#7168736 - 07/09/13 09:34 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
jon! Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T3X@$
Taken w the new (to me) 28-70mm 2.8 L

lol crappy test shot

#7168791 - 07/09/13 10:01 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: scootergeek
I Hobby. He totally made the $100 I dropped on the Flashbus Tour worth it. I went in already a fan of McNally and he was good, but did nothing new I seen in his videos/books (though he did shake my hand )
I can appreciate his process, but I don't like him. Nor do I begrudge anyone who does.

#7168841 - 07/09/13 11:03 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: jon!]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
 Originally Posted By: jon!

lol crappy test shot

Please explain to me HONESTLY how this "test" shot helps you in any way whatsoever. What did you learn about your lens from this shot?

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7168898 - 07/10/13 12:07 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
jon! Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T3X@$
Well I also took random pics of a dead bird, gardening gloves, a basketball and other misc stuff just to play around. Not much else to photo graph

Does it help me? No. Just playing around. I'll get some better ones.

Admittedly if its not of people I'm just not that good at taking pictures of it.

#7169577 - 07/10/13 10:39 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
BobBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Nate047

lol crappy test shot

Please explain to me HONESTLY how this "test" shot helps you in any way whatsoever. What did you learn about your lens from this shot?

Nate

#7169673 - 07/10/13 11:24 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: ]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

#7169913 - 07/10/13 12:56 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

#7170167 - 07/10/13 02:17 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: jon!]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well I also took random pics of a dead bird, gardening gloves, a basketball and other misc stuff just to play around. Not much else to photo graph

Does it help me? No. Just playing around. I'll get some better ones.

Admittedly if its not of people I'm just not that good at taking pictures of it.

Yea but dude, that shot is under exposed and not in focus. So how does it help you learn anything about how good or not good the lens is?

Nate

#7170171 - 07/10/13 02:18 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: MetalheaD]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Can you tone down her cheek bone a bit?

Nate

#7170498 - 07/10/13 04:03 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Here's a little behind the scene's peek from the Super Street Magazine shoot I did in October. The setup was a pretty random mixture of gear, because some of it was mine and some was owned by the studio. Basically what we had was as follows:

Broncolor Primo 1600 (main light, front, slight camera right. Gridded reflector with Rosco diffusion hung in front)
Profoto Compact 600 (hair light, directly above the model and slightly to the right. Normal reflector, flagged to prevent flare)
2x Speedotron OldFuckingShit lights with strip soft box modifiers (mirrored, one on each side of the model)
Huge piece of duvetyne hung as the back "wall"
Black seamless paper for the floor

I can't remember what the ratios were but it was all fairly close. I wanted the edge lights to be pretty much even with the main light up front, the hair light was I think a bit lower though. I wanted these images to look like a series I had seen in a Nike ad for Oregon Football (GO DUCKS!) A bit strange I guess, trying to light import models in a way that is definitely not "forgiving" to their figures or skin texture. But oh well! I wanted to try it anyway. I like how the came out, especially as a learning experience. The frame on the right is straight out of camera with no touchup.

Nate

#7170503 - 07/10/13 04:06 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh and special thanks to Fil aka TheStupidFock for all the help throughout the long and hectic 2 day shoot.

Nate

#7171396 - 07/10/13 10:55 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
please excuse the watermark

#7171405 - 07/10/13 11:02 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Voltron]
TheStupidFock Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Los Angeles
From a super foggy, purple hazy Venice night. The first shot is 15 minutes before the end of twilight, and the second shot is right at the end of it. 3200ISO, 1/160, 50mm @ 1.8, 5DMKII

#7171417 - 07/10/13 11:12 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: TheStupidFock]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
Washington Monument lit up.

#7171624 - 07/11/13 06:28 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Here's a little behind the scene's peek from the Super Street Magazine shoot I did in October. The setup was a pretty random mixture of gear, because some of it was mine and some was owned by the studio. Basically what we had was as follows:

Broncolor Primo 1600 (main light, front, slight camera right. Gridded reflector with Rosco diffusion hung in front)
Profoto Compact 600 (hair light, directly above the model and slightly to the right. Normal reflector, flagged to prevent flare)
2x Speedotron OldFuckingShit lights with strip soft box modifiers (mirrored, one on each side of the model)

I can't remember what the ratios were but it was all fairly close. I wanted the edge lights to be pretty much even with the main light up front, the hair light was I think a bit lower though. I wanted these images to look like a series I had seen in a Nike ad for Oregon Football (GO DUCKS!) A bit strange I guess, trying to light import models in a way that is definitely not "forgiving" to their figures or skin texture. But oh well! I wanted to try it anyway. I like how the came out, especially as a learning experience. The frame on the right is straight out of camera with no touchup.

Nate

What's up with the back of her right thigh?

BTW: the only reason I saw it was because I was looking at DAT ASS!

Edited by MetalheaD (07/11/13 07:47 AM)

#7172597 - 07/11/13 12:51 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: MetalheaD]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

#7172650 - 07/11/13 01:06 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: MetalheaD]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

http://photos.napalm.net/clubsi/IMG_1072.jpg

Nate

What's up with the back of her right thigh?

BTW: the only reason I saw it was because I was looking at DAT ASS!

Mmmmm, not sure. There's a highlight from the strip light over there, and her legs are not perfectly shaped, so it's probably just the light source drawing the shape of her leg. The blemishes on her left thigh were probably from, well... Use your imagination. She also had a huge bruise on the front of one of her thighs LOL.

Nate

#7172733 - 07/11/13 01:26 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Sex bruise!

#7173061 - 07/11/13 03:13 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: LNXGUY]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Is it ok if for my purposes I say that it was sex with another really hot girl instead of the large black man that it really was?

#7173286 - 07/11/13 05:21 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: MetalheaD]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yes that's fine I think.

Nate

#7174202 - 07/12/13 08:37 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis

Mardi by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#7174402 - 07/12/13 10:05 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
BP Fail Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Falls Church, VA

Bench by Qtep, on Flickr

#7174589 - 07/12/13 11:30 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: BP Fail]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

Delicate Arch by Alter Your Perspective, on Flickr

#7175446 - 07/12/13 05:46 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
My second favorite place...

In the world.

Is located just behind where you took that photo. Climb over the rock ledge on sit on the backside of the mountain overlooking the desert/mountains.

I love Arches so much but every time I've been there Delicate Arch was ruined by assfuck hippies (blanket statement ~ in no way am I making a political statement here) hugging up the arch and not admiring it's beauty from a distance... where it should be. So one day while having my view of the arch ruined by fucks, I explored some and found that back ledge.

#7175494 - 07/12/13 06:23 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yep i sat on that ledge until 1 am waiting to photograph the milky way. The weather didn't cooperate as you can see the clouds rolling in. That is actually a 25 second exposure (see the lights in the background?) I'll tell you this, when you're the only one out there for miles around in the pitch black with hundred for drop offs in all directions, it's a bit nerve racking. I decided it was time to make the hike back to the car when the coyotes started howling all around me.
#7175545 - 07/12/13 07:17 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I love that type of stuff. Nothing better than out backpacking and knowing that if you die... you might not be found for a long long time... /can't wait to see milky way pictures!

#7175611 - 07/12/13 08:20 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
Sir Salty A F Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah. I didn't get any good milky way pictures. My 17-40f4 sucks, and my 40f2.8 wasn't wide enough to get the arch and enough sky.... Well it might have been had i gone down in the bowl and looked up at the arch, but by the time i realized this, it was pitch black and i wasn't making that climb down. not to mention the clouds. Oh well, I'm thinking of either picking up the rokinon 14f2.8 or a tracker so i can use the 17-40 and trying it again

Here's a composite from a previous milky way picture and the arch from that night. Tried my had at light painting with my headlamp.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7342/9265432726_0243947e62_c.jpg

Edited by salty (07/12/13 08:23 PM)

#7175653 - 07/12/13 09:07 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Sir Salty A F]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I kind of like that, wish the arch was lite more evenly though (the sky is wonderful and the mountains in the background are edged awesome). What I did in the past was use flashlights and just keep moving them across the subject during long exposures. Of course this was 15 years ago with film... but I think would work even better with digital.

Page 180 of 261 « First<178179180181182>Last »

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads