Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#33960 - 02/28/04 05:20 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

If the reed switch 12v supply (coil in) and coil out is switched (diagram is congruent) could that matter? The reed is normally open type.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#33961 - 02/29/04 12:46 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I dunno (I don't think so) but if you did it wrong, just tear it up and do it right... then you'll know for sure
#33962 - 02/29/04 04:04 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch *DELETED*
altangerel Offline
Poster

Post deleted by altangerel

#33963 - 02/29/04 01:02 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded. I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

#33964 - 02/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
altangerel Offline
Poster

Quote:

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded. I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

are you sure you want to do the kill switch with the magnet?
i would prefer the other simple one. just hide your switch in a good place.

#33965 - 02/29/04 06:01 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
altangerel Offline
Poster

Quote:

It works for me, I don't have any problems there. It just pulls constant power and over a period of a couple days kills my battery. Theres a small pull somewhere in the system, none of the wires are grounded . I checked and there was like, .13 volts running to the reed at all times. I can't figure out why its constantly pulling power.

i think you need to ground your wires. especially the reed

#33966 - 03/01/04 01:55 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

wups my bad! i mean their grounded but their not grounding out. Like shorted. Sorry for the confusion

#33967 - 03/02/04 12:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Are you leaving your car alone for a few days or something? Ask civicgeek, he'll probably know.
#33968 - 03/03/04 08:48 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas
You have PM.

BTW.. for everyone.. I am not sure what his problem is. My reed has a constant 12V input, as well as the coil unit, like in the schematic.
I have left my car for about about 2 months before and it never drained my battery.
The LED is the only thing drawing CURRENT from your battery that will drain it. As for 0.13 V draw.. That is pretty much 0. That is most likely the draw from the meter itself, not just the wiring. But it would prolly take like 6 months if just sitting and never recharging. Which could be your problem, you have a weak battery? How old is it?

Not sure what else to tell you. I have never had a problem with mine. :shrug:

#33969 - 03/03/04 06:45 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Me neither. Car is almost fixed back to how it was, with minor stereo and alarm upgrades, rather than having all my goodies stolen and getting paid for a stock car, thanks to the switch. It's not much consolation, but it's something.
#33970 - 03/03/04 07:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Columbia,SC,USA,North America,...
Quote:

Me neither. Car is almost fixed back to how it was, with minor stereo and alarm upgrades, rather than having all my goodies stolen and getting paid for a stock car, thanks to the switch. It's not much consolation, but it's something.

If the post I started helped at least one person out there(sobs), it was worth it.

For real tho, i'm glad it help u out yomuppet.

#33971 - 03/12/04 10:02 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
ORcivicsi Offline

Good post
#33972 - 03/13/04 11:58 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civic98vtec Offline
Poster

Loc: Southwest FL
why don't you just buy an alarm. There is an alarm that when ARMed you cannot start the car, and if someone tries to hot wire your car or use a different honda key (this has happened to me) while ARMed it will kill the starter and you would have to reset your computer by unplugging your battery to reset computer.

So it makes it to where you have to disarm the alarm in order to start your car. It is really cool and it works, my buddy has it on his prelude.

#33973 - 03/13/04 09:41 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

name and price?

#33974 - 03/15/04 12:30 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

why don't you just buy an alarm. There is an alarm that when ARMed you cannot start the car, and if someone tries to hot wire your car or use a different honda key (this has happened to me) while ARMed it will kill the starter and you would have to reset your computer by unplugging your battery to reset computer.

So it makes it to where you have to disarm the alarm in order to start your car. It is really cool and it works, my buddy has it on his prelude.

Though this may or may not help, any additional security measures can only help further.

#33975 - 04/25/04 12:37 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
False Alarm for me.

I thought my newly installed (within the past month) magnetic kill switch was draining my battery as well. It was actually the battery's fault it was dead.......

DS
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

#33976 - 04/25/04 10:49 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

False Alarm for me.

I thought my newly installed (within the past month) magnetic kill switch was draining my battery as well. It was actually the battery's fault it was dead.......

DS

#33977 - 04/28/04 06:39 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Say I want to have another break in the fuel pump circuit in another location for multiple levels of security, what would be the best way to do this? Do I need another setup complete with switches, can I just add another 2 relay (dpdt + auto) setup to the circuit, or can I get away with adding just 1 auto relay? Thanks in advance
#33978 - 05/03/04 12:31 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i did this one this morning and tested it. the only problem in the chattering sound and it's not very reliable. would buying a different brand, other than radio shack work?

#33979 - 05/03/04 06:33 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

What do you mean it's not reliable? My reed is very reliable. Did you mean your relay? Something else? Please explain.
#33980 - 05/03/04 11:28 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

Quote:

What do you mean it's not reliable? My reed is very reliable. Did you mean your relay? Something else? Please explain.

sorry about my post earlier. i didn't have time to elaborate because i had to head off to work, but anyway...

before i start explaining, i'd like to say that it has not been installed in the car yet, because i wanted to test it out. i hooked everything up and soldered the wires where needed and tested the circuit in my room. everything looks good and works okay and i bought all the parts from RadioShack.

when power is first supplied to the circuit, the LED goes on. well when i slide the magnet over the reed, the LED light goes off when the magnet is closeby (which it is supposed to), then as i move the magnet away, the LED light comes back on (not the way it suppose to be. the LED light should remain off, as the only way it suppose to come back on, is if i push the push button).

everytime the LED light goes on or off, you can hear the 10A plug-in relay clicking inside. this let you know that it is working, and you can visually see the metal connector inside the relay moving, so i know that the 10A relay is working.

one solution i found to work, is if i don't slide the magnet over the entire reed, but to just point and pull away at only one end of the reed with the magnet. by that i meant putting a magnet close to one end of the reed (the black part of the reed, with the 3 metal connectors coming out of them) in just that one area.

if i slide the magnet near the other end of the reed (the black part of the reed, with just one metal connector; that's the one that needs to be grouned), then the 10A relay will just keep clicking for as long as the magnet is over it.

another weird thing is that if the LED light is already off and sliding a magnet over that particular end of the reed (the one with just one metal connector, like i said before), then it will turn the LED light back on, so in essence, the reed can do both work, and that would defeat the purpose of having a push button to re-arm or disconnect the fuel pump wire. that's what i meant by reliability. you don't want to accidentally disconnect the fuel pump wire when you're trying to re-connect it.

---

besides this, i was wondering if there is a way to wrig up something similar to this wirelessly. i was thinking of using IR or radio. i like the idea of installing a kill switch, without running a set of wires from the back of the car to the front, thus making it even harder for thieves to trace the wires.

#33981 - 05/03/04 11:49 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I ran my wires all over the friggin' place, so hopefully they won't take the time to figure out how the circuit works. When my car was an attempted theft, they didn't. Fuckers. Anyway, I believe that's how the switch works (correct me if I'm wrong), one polarity of the magnet will turn it on, the other off. Either that, or you have a grounding problem (if your switch will not stay set). I followed the diagrams exactly and mine works perfectly. Maybe someone more electronic-oriented can help you out, best of luck.
#33982 - 05/03/04 11:57 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

if it's set up properly... there shouldn't be a chatter sound. you've probably crossed some wires some where along the line. if you hookup the NC side of the relay up to the power, it can engage/disengage really fast... causing that sound.

DS
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

#33983 - 05/04/04 10:18 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i know you guys are probably tired of me asking this question, but i went back to radioshack and re-bought all of the parts and redone this kill switch cleanly. i know that i didn't cross any wires at all in the installation. when i hover the magnet over the reed, the LED lights goes off and when i pull the magnet away from the reed, the LED comes back on. WTF??

i checked all of the wires and i don't see a problem at all. i've even tested the Automotive relay (connectors: 30 & 87) on a simple 12V light bulb, and it works when the LED is off. all wires have been soldered. i've redrew the same schematic, according to how i hooked everything up here:

now here are some pictures of the individual parts i put together using my webcam:

the reed (front / top):

the reed (back):

the momentary pushbutton:

some pictures of the Automotive relay with the DPDT relay:

okay. i narrowed down the probem to the reed. i switched my new reed, back to the old one and it still has problems.

***edit
i'm using a normally open reed and i think that the metal connectors inside the reed does not stay closed when a magnet passes over it.

Edited by sxng9 (05/06/04 12:25 AM)

#33984 - 05/05/04 05:01 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Loc: The city that never sleeps
Hey sxng9, you said that the reed you are using is normally closed, but I believe the schematics calls for a reed that is normally open. I don't know if this is the problem or if there are even two types of reeds since I am currently studying this thread to build mine. HTH

#33985 - 05/06/04 01:23 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

whoops. i meant normally open. it was really late when i typed it up, but anyhow, i'm gonna give this one more try, then call it quits and go with a regular kill switch. i've wasted too much money and time on this project, but it was fun. i burned myself a few times with the solder and cut myself a few times with razor blades.

yes, razor blades. i was working on a different car security project prior to this one and it involves lethal, but not deadly razors. lol, i guess i'm paranoid, because i live in the ghetto (that's what my friends call the area where i live). anyhow. i've attached double sided razor blades (the ones that you can buy at your local Walmart store) to the underside of the doorhandles, so that the theif, or would be theif, would cut himself. yea, i got two deep razor cuts on my fingers from forgetting that i have razor blades underneath the doorhandles - lol.

i've also started to mod the air vents to shoot out razors when the ignition is on, but didn't quite get it to work perfectly, mainly due to the part that i've already cut myself twice, and because i might accidently hurt someone i care about. in the first case, i used rubber bands to propel the blades; not reliable, and doesn't shoot straight. the second case involves modifying my paintball gun to use airtight hoses to shoot out the blades; too fast & deadly, plus it will ruin the seats.

#33986 - 05/06/04 10:01 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Well, I want to get this kill switch installed within the next 2 weeks and before I go out to buy this stuff, I wanted to know if anyone can pm me the "step-by-step" to this. I think I know what to do but wanna make sure. Also I'm in nyc and would like to know where can I pick this stuff up (besides radioshack). Thanks guys/gals.

#33987 - 05/06/04 11:59 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

Well, I want to get this kill switch installed within the next 2 weeks and before I go out to buy this stuff, I wanted to know if anyone can pm me the "step-by-step" to this. I think I know what to do but wanna make sure. Also I'm in nyc and would like to know where can I pick this stuff up (besides radioshack). Thanks guys/gals.

It's all in THIS thread. Want me to PM you with the url to this thread? Sigh.

#33988 - 05/06/04 12:07 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

sxng9, your setup looks WAY more professional than mine, you must just be having a simple problem in the way it is wired. My setup used much more electrical tape, and much less heat shrink tubing, loom, circuit board, and any of that other cool looking stuff you used. I can tell you from personal experience that this setup is worth it, and if you spent anything less than a hundred bucks or so then I wouldn't worry. Mine has cost me about 20-40, and that's after having to redo it due to a theft attempt. The first time I set it up it was around 20. Have you tried turning the magnet around the other way and putting it close to the reed? Have you made sure whatever you're using as a ground source is actually grounded?
#33989 - 05/06/04 01:29 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
esseye Offline

Quote:

Quote:

It's all in THIS thread. Want me to PM you with the url to this thread? Sigh.

Well, I wasn't sure of the proper guage of wires to use (someone above mentioned 14 but wanted to make sure) and which way the dual color led is hooked up (so that it lights green when the reed is closed and not red when the reed is closed). Also, just wanted to know where I can get better quality parts besides from radioshack. Well, if it was too much to ask, then it 's alright, I'll manage.

Edited by esseye (05/06/04 01:44 PM)

#33990 - 05/06/04 01:40 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

esseye: Better parts than radio shack... I do most of my shopping @ http://www.partsexpress.com and that's where I got most of the parts for this project. (and many other projects) In addition to parts express I usually shop at a place called Gateway Electronics here in San Diego (no relation to Gateway computers)

As for the problem with the cool new schematic. It makes sense that it's not working, I'm just trying to figure out how to explain it without confusing everyone. I only used 2 wires from the reed switch and I didn't really follow that previous schematic at all But give me a few minutes and I'll see if I can figure out your problem (or offer a solution)

#33991 - 05/06/04 07:44 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

Quote:

sxng9, your setup looks WAY more professional than mine, you must just be having a simple problem in the way it is wired. My setup used much more electrical tape, and much less heat shrink tubing, loom, circuit board, and any of that other cool looking stuff you used. I can tell you from personal experience that this setup is worth it, and if you spent anything less than a hundred bucks or so then I wouldn't worry. Mine has cost me about 20-40, and that's after having to redo it due to a theft attempt. The first time I set it up it was around 20. Have you tried turning the magnet around the other way and putting it close to the reed? Have you made sure whatever you're using as a ground source is actually grounded?

yea, haha. i guess i am sorted impressed about this kill switch project. i spent a lot of time on this. i'm pretty good with electronic things, so i know that's it's not anything electrical. like i said in my previous post, the main problem is the reed.

there are 2 factors that contribute to the problems with the reed i bought at Radio Shack:
1) the polarity of the magnetic side on which you use to slide over the reed.
2) the glass tube inside of the blue casing, needs to be adjusted.

i'm trying to push myself to get this finished before i go on vacation in July, but if i don't, hell with it. oh, also, one of the funniest thing i did the past 2 days was i went to every single radio shack store where i lived and bought every single reed they had, due to breaking so many reeds.

Quote:

Well, I wasn't sure of the proper guage of wires to use (someone above mentioned 14 but wanted to make sure) and which way the dual color led is hooked up (so that it lights green when the reed is closed and not red when the reed is closed). Also, just wanted to know where I can get better quality parts besides from radioshack. Well, if it was too much to ask, then it 's alright, I'll manage.

as for the proper wire guage, 14 is good enough. for my project, i used 14 and i think i used 16 for the circuit board & around where im running wires that are less than 5 inches long.

the thing is, don't make it sound more complicated than it really is, and always be sure to test it out on a bench to make sure it works the way you want it, before you rip the car interior apart and drilling holes.

#33992 - 05/06/04 11:06 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I used 14 for all wires that will be carrying current on a regular basis, and 22 to hook up the switches.
#33993 - 05/06/04 11:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
sxng9 Offline

i have just one final question on this topic:

which wire do you guys tap into to get the 12V constant power at (even when the engine is off)? i prefer to tap, or splice into a wire from inside the car, rather than directly from the battery in the engine bay. thanks.

#33994 - 05/07/04 05:41 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

I just found one that was thick and red and used a multimeter to confirm it was hot. I got lucky and hit one the first time.
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads