Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#33925 - 12/09/03 12:05 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
I did my own little schematic drawing.. not realizing that one had already been done. If you can interpret my drawing at all (I know it's not electronically correct) I used a two sided LED that will light green on one side and red on the other. The schematic that I drew will cause the LED to light green when the fuel pump is active and red when the fuel pump is disconnected. Also, as was alluded to above, the two-color leds are NOT 12v and thus need a resistor to keep the power down, the exact resistor value will depend on which LED you get, but the one I purchased required a 333.33 Ohm resistor.

Hope this helps someone

Here it is. (PDF)

Edit: After reviewing my circuit, I need to make some modifications. Pin 6 needs to be tied to ping 7. (critical..or the damn thing won't work) And a co-worker suggested tying pin 4 on RELAY_DPDT to ignition power so that when you shut off the car, it automatically collapses everything and your fuel pump is disconnected... only bad thing about that is that you have to have your key in the "on" position for the whole thing to work. This means that if you have to have the magnet OFF of your key right
Last thing: The momentary switch on the bottom that's tied to pin 8 should be a normally closed... I forgot to specify/draw that. I'll leave that link up, but it will be revised this evening.

Daniel

Edited by danielsmith (12/09/03 01:51 PM)
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#33926 - 12/10/03 08:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
LBSpearo Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Quote:

Quote:

If you cant wait and you dont have the switch installed....

if im parking in a really sketchy neighborhood, etc... ill pull the ignition fuse from under the hood.
the car will try to start but wont turn over completly.

Yeah and those "sketchy" guys watching u go under ur hood will think " He needs a kill switch."

Too much trouble for me. If the projects i'm going to is too ruff, either someone picks me up or fuck it I ain't going.

I met a guy at the dealer getting parts for his stolen Civic. I was talking to him about how my Si was broken into several times. We discussed if he had an alarm and he said he did. He even took out the ignition fuse and they replaced that and drove off with his car in his driveway. Thieves are getting smarter and carry their own fuses. Just an FYI.

#33927 - 12/12/03 09:22 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
marshun Offline
Poster

i just installed a switch that doesnt let the car get turned on. the fuel pump doesnt turn on and theres no spark or starter. and the switch stays right up front. i dont even have to leave the drivers seat to flip it.

#33928 - 12/12/03 11:21 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Quote:

Thieves are getting smarter and carry their own fuses. Just an FYI.

Yeah but did he take out ALL the SPARE fuses too? Not only that.. all fuses that are >= the ignition fuse that are not needed to drive the car? A theif doesn't need an extra fuse, there's tons in your fusebox already. Pulling the fuse is hard and kinda pointless IMO (but hey i used to do it too)
Quote:

i just installed a switch that doesnt let the car get turned on. the fuel pump doesnt turn on and theres no spark or starter. and the switch stays right up front. i dont even have to leave the drivers seat to flip it.

Me too.. Well i got sick of forgetting the switch and cranking the engine w/ no fuel.. so i installed an LED to remind me.. but that didn't work too well so then i connected it to a starter kill relay
"You are what you eat."

#33929 - 12/13/03 06:36 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Quote:

I did a fuel cut off and it works great. If the car is running and i flip the switch, it take about 3 seconds before it dies. Great post everybody. Psssss. just hid the switch in a good spot.

I also did it, but mine dies in 1 sec.

#33930 - 12/13/03 08:55 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Columbia,SC,USA,North America,...
Did u guys have some profetionals do it or did it yourself? I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. thinking of letting my pops do it when i go home to Boston. I wanna install my switch in a place where if i get car-jacked i can hit the switch without getting shot for sudden moves.

#33931 - 12/13/03 09:08 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
I did the install myself. I dont do much of my own work but this was really easy. Its easier if you choose to tap into the wiring under the door kick panel.

#33932 - 12/20/03 10:16 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

Well.. I finally did this last night (the magnetic version) It's FRICKEN AWESOME. I rigged it up so there's a green light when the fuel pump is active and it turns red when it's disabled. I ran into one big snag though. I had run the wire from behind my dash back to the fuel pump and I kept popping fuses on the +12v I was tapping off of. Finally, 2 hours (and dinner) later.. I realized the wire I sent to the back was laying on the metal where the seat was.... *grounded* so when I applied power: POP! Stupid wires... so here's my tip: use electrical tape around EVERYTHING... even if you don't think it needs it.

-DS
'92 Honda Accord - AEM CAI, Tenzo Springs -- WTB: Stock 92-93 Accord Hub Caps (she's going back to stock) '00 Civic Si - Greddy EVO Exhaust, 17" OZ Superleggeras, TEIN Springs. (DC Intake for sale.. pm me)

#33933 - 01/20/04 01:44 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Just did it, works great, very impressed. Mad props to civicgeek for diagramming it all out for us in a very easy to understand and folllow fashion
#33934 - 02/02/04 12:51 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
danielsmith Offline
Jr Poster

I've gotten a couple PMs about the dual color LED setup... so I modified civicgeek's diagram for that setup... my overall setup is a little different, but the concept should still work... the resistor values are based on a 1.7 - 2.2 v LED at 30 mA (some LEDs may be different)

#33935 - 02/03/04 03:58 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiGuy00 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Minnesota
Quote:

Did u guys have some profetionals do it or did it yourself? I haven't had a chance to install mine yet. thinking of letting my pops do it when i go home to Boston. I wanna install my switch in a place where if i get car-jacked i can hit the switch without getting shot for sudden moves.

Did it my self in about 2hours. If i had to do it again on someone elses car it would take less time but its worth it.

#33936 - 02/05/04 12:18 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
Ziatic Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Toronto
Maaan I want a kill switch so bad but the magnetic method seems so hard so I was wondering, is the first method just as effective assuming the theif can't find the switch or is there some other way to bypass the first method???
btw thanks to everyone that contibuted

#33937 - 02/06/04 09:55 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Magnetic method isn't hard at all, just follow the diagram. It does take a bit of time if you're not too practiced at this stuff, but is not hard at all. If I weren't too lazy to unsolder my LED I'd do the red/green LED thing too, but for now just red will have to suffice
#33938 - 02/08/04 10:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

What gauge wiring did you guys use? Also... What size fuse did you use to fuse your circuit with? And... What 12v source did you tap? (magnetic version)

#33939 - 02/09/04 01:34 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiToeKnee Offline
Major Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
i used 14 gauge wire, but i did the switch way, not the magnetic way. didn't have to use a fuse as long as the switch was high enough in amperage. the switch one was really easy. i didn't want to do the magnet one, even though it's a really good method, i didn't feel confident in my abilities to do the work. good post.

#33940 - 02/09/04 01:57 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
HoWheels Offline
Post Master Sr

And FYI ... there are alot of proponents of fuel cut switches.
I'm a firm believer that a switch somewhere in your ignition system, IE somewhere between the key and spark plugs (lol vague) is just as effective if you do it right (albiet at the risk of flooding your engine).

It's saved my dad's '64 StingRay twice, his '84 RX-7 once, and just saved my Civic last week.

They broke in, jammed a screwdriver in the ignition switch, and cranked. Nothing. My car remained. Minus $700 worth of shit stolen of course.

It was so effective and inconspicuous on my Civic that when it went to the repair shop (long story) ... and they began repairing my car WITHOUT MY FUCKING AUTHORIZATION (lol uncontrollable rant), they replaced the ignition switch, and it SHOULD have been starting properly. I was told they actually went and bought a new ignition coil, BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY MY CAR WAS STARTING.

If a repair shop can't figure out how to start it, it must be good.

Or they're just stupid.

-a

PS sorry I can't be more specific about my settup (paranoid ), but follow the rest of the advice in this thread and you'll be good. In fact, you can't be too safe. Find as many security methods as you can and use them all.

#33941 - 02/09/04 11:30 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

My stupid connections came unsoldered yesterday, bah. I guess I need to use more solder... I'm off to home depot tomorrow for an extension cable so I can solder in the driveway
#33942 - 02/15/04 10:44 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
civicgeek9 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas
Quote:

Just did it, works great, very impressed. Mad props to civicgeek for diagramming it all out for us in a very easy to understand and folllow fashion

I'm an electronics engineer, and I know these thngs can be difficult, even for me at times. So I was hopin I had made it simple enough for everyone.
Thanks man, I'm really glad it was easy and worked for you!!

Quote:

My stupid connections came unsoldered yesterday, bah. I guess I need to use more solder... I'm off to home depot tomorrow for an extension cable so I can solder in the driveway

No you do not need more solder, you need a CLEAN solder.
If a solder fails, it's cuz the connections you were soldering were dirty or soiled in one way or another. Try using some alcohol on the wires and terminals before you solder it. Wash and dry your hands really good, and touch the wires, etc, as little as possible before applying solder.

I just visited this thread for the first time since I posted my original schematic... I am VERY happy to see that a lot of you have been able to follow it and do one for yourselves. Congrats to all who take the steps necc to protect their investments!!

And to DanialSmith.. Nice work on the dual LED setup.. that's pretty nice as well. I might have to add that on to mine when I get back home from Mass on business.

Good job everyone! Stay safe and secure!

#33943 - 02/21/04 08:32 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

HELP ME PLEASE!! I followed the instructions perfectly, TWO TIMES! and it still pulls constant power somewhere. There were no wires grounding out in the first setup and there are none in the second setup! Can anyone help me with this? Are there any small specs. in the equipement that I had to look out for? Did I make a wrong purchase for parts? I just dont get why it constantly pulls power, even when not activated.The only thing I've thought about is that the wire going from the fuel power line to the relay or whatever is pretty long, could that have any posibilty of being it? Any suggestions, please!

#33944 - 02/22/04 08:26 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Well, this setup has just saved my car from being stolen. It's truly a sad day, and I dread dealing with the insurance company and repairs and all that, but it would be much worse to have the Si RIP. Pictures of the failed theft can be found at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justy119/album?.dir=/b001&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/justy119
#33945 - 02/23/04 08:40 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Loc: KS
I just did mine this weekend and talk about a simple insurance.

Hid the switch, and tested it......works like a charm...

I tapped in the wire closer the the front of the vehicle it was alot easier than pulling the seats out..........

This is truely one of the best post EVER

Thanks

#33946 - 02/23/04 11:42 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

I tapped in the wire closer the the front of the vehicle it was alot easier than pulling the seats out..........

Thanks

I'm glad i started a thread that people really appreciate. The sad thing is , i'm the guy that asked for the help and i still haven't done the damn trick to my car. Thanx to everyone who has contributed to this post. If there's anyone who can help me out in Columbia,SC drop me a message.

Mike

Edited by DXorsist77 (02/23/04 11:44 AM)

#33947 - 02/23/04 11:42 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiR Driver Offline
Post Master

Loc: Toronto, ON
Quote:

Well, this setup has just saved my car from being stolen. It's truly a sad day, and I dread dealing with the insurance company and repairs and all that, but it would be much worse to have the Si RIP. Pictures of the failed theft can be found at http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/justy119/album?.dir=/b001&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/justy119

That sucks dude but nice that the switch at least saved your ride. Losing the car altogether would have been a much bigger pain. Are those EX seats in your Si or do you drive an EX?

#33948 - 02/23/04 01:12 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

That sucks dude but nice that the switch at least saved your ride. Losing the car altogether would have been a much bigger pain. Are those EX seats in your Si or do you drive an EX?

Del sol seats.

#33949 - 02/23/04 02:52 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiR Driver Offline
Post Master

Loc: Toronto, ON
Ah yes, my bad. Any estimate on damages yet? $$$

#33950 - 02/23/04 04:19 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Nope, not yet. Insurance company = slow as molasses
#33951 - 02/24/04 08:21 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I'm glad i started a thread that people really appreciate. The sad thing is , i'm the guy that asked for the help and i still haven't done the damn trick to my car. Thanx to everyone who has contributed to this post. If there's anyone who can help me out in Columbia,SC drop me a message.

Mike

What do you need help with???????
I'll help if I can......

#33952 - 02/24/04 05:45 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

Damn i used to live in KS.(Ft. Riley) Well I'm "electronicly challenged". I could work on a car but when it comes to electronics I let the pros handle it. Maybe if u can come up with some really, really,really simple plans I might be able to do it. Tell me what i need and what needs to where first, second and so on. I would really appreciate it.

#33953 - 02/24/04 08:48 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Quote:

Damn i used to live in KS.(Ft. Riley) Well I'm "electronicly challenged". I could work on a car but when it comes to electronics I let the pros handle it. Maybe if u can come up with some really, really,really simple plans I might be able to do it. Tell me what i need and what needs to where first, second and so on. I would really appreciate it.

These plans are about as simple as you can get. And they detail exactly what's needed, and how to do it. *shrug*

#33954 - 02/24/04 08:51 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
DXorsist77 Offline
Jr Member

I'll sit down study them and give em a try with some supervision ofcourse.

#33955 - 02/25/04 11:15 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
jjtackleberry Offline
Jr Member

you have PM

#33956 - 02/26/04 02:15 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

When you guys installed yours, did it kill your battery? None of the wires are shorted on mine, but the reed is pulling a constant... .1xx volts. Over a short period the battery dies. Is this happening to anyone else? Could it be a dead piece of equipement? I replaced the reed but it still does it.

#33957 - 02/26/04 03:23 AM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

The only current it should be pulling is to power the LED. My battery hasn't died so far b/c of it.
#33958 - 02/26/04 06:35 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
SiBuddy00 Offline
Jr Member

I'd really like to keep this setup while fixing the problem! Do you think it could be the reed iself? I bought one from radio shack. Why the hell wouldn't it work I wonder, why is it pulling constant power! this is pissing me off, I'm happy to hear it works perfect but shit man, why won't it do that for me? Damn reed keeps pulling power. Does current go through culking or something?!

#33959 - 02/26/04 09:14 PM Re: Need a Kill Switch
yomuppet Offline
Poster

Maybe you wired it up wrong? Did you have all components facing pins down when looking at the diagram? Mmm... other than that I don't know enough about it. You might try PMing civicgeek if he has time, he seems to know a lot about it. Good luck.
Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads