Page 23 of 35 « First<2122232425>Last »
Topic Options
#5846660 - 10/07/11 01:47 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
 Originally Posted By: Rumble
So like are Crossfit monthly rates set in stone or can you lowball them to get a few bucks off? Aside from like military discounts.

Depends on the box. It's not like they're getting rich off of it (unless they have the top 7 contenders from the crossfit games training at their gym) lol

#5846992 - 10/07/11 08:53 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta, GA
 Originally Posted By: 137
So like are Crossfit monthly rates set in stone or can you lowball them to get a few bucks off? Aside from like military discounts.

Depends on the box. It's not like they're getting rich off of it (unless they have the top 7 contenders from the crossfit games training at their gym) lol

Werd. Crossfit gyms that are too cheap price themselves out of the market and go out of business.

#5867221 - 10/18/11 01:25 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: NateD]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
So far Crossfit is pretty easy, haha.
#5867248 - 10/18/11 02:09 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: EST
you're a shoe-in for the 250k prize next year at the home depot center.
#5867271 - 10/18/11 02:53 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: ElementBabe]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: antness

I've seen his workouts on my facebook, they're going pretty easy on him. just wait.

#5867290 - 10/18/11 04:09 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: antness

I've seen his workouts on my facebook, they're going pretty easy on him. just wait.
That's why I put the "haha" cause I know it's coming. The day I either pass out or vomit, haha.

I'm getting my form back pretty quickly. I did olympic weight lifting for 2 years with Mike Burgener at my high school 10 years ago. I guess he's a huge name in crossfit now.

#5867538 - 10/18/11 10:04 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Fuck... Crossfit isn't easy, haha.

Last place for Kelly today. Still fatigued from the power snatch last night.

#5867602 - 10/18/11 10:34 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
FireInTheWhole Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Fuck... Crossfit isn't easy, haha.

Last place for Kelly today. Still fatigued from the power snatch last night.

Resisting a power snatch joke......resisting........reeeeeesiiiiissssttttttt!

#5867628 - 10/18/11 10:42 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD

the crossfit gym i looked at wants 225 for the intro course and 200 a month for unlimited visits, while 2 days a week usage runs at 145 a month. on top of that, if you cancel your membership, you have to pay 50% of what membership plan you signed up for (1yr or 2yr memberships. there are no month to month memebrships at that gym)

one thing i noticed on an email that i got from them is that you have to email in and schedule a time for you to come in. there's no walk-in join on a workout policy there.

i was like wtf?!?

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

#5867756 - 10/18/11 11:28 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
Ionfyst Offline
Blackhawks 4 Lyfe!
Post Master Sr

Loc: Massachusetts
 Originally Posted By: big colloRAHRAH

the crossfit gym i looked at wants 225 for the intro course and 200 a month for unlimited visits, while 2 days a week usage runs at 145 a month. on top of that, if you cancel your membership, you have to pay 50% of what membership plan you signed up for (1yr or 2yr memberships. there are no month to month memebrships at that gym)

one thing i noticed on an email that i got from them is that you have to email in and schedule a time for you to come in. there's no walk-in join on a workout policy there.

i was like wtf?!?

Damn, that seems a little extreme. Any other places around you that are a little more relaxed? The yearly contract seems a little over the top.

For reference my gym was only $150 for the 3 session intro class and also offers either a 3 day a week membership for $160 or unlimited for $190. Weren't you in the military, did you ask about discounts?

Also, in terms of scheduling, my gym does that as well but it's mostly for keeping track of how many days you go. I am lazy as shit and always seem to either sign up around 11pm the night before a 6:30am class or about an hour before a night class. I sometimes forget to sign up and just go into the system afterwards and sign up for another class just to get it checked off my list of remaining days.

Edited by Ionfyst (10/18/11 11:30 AM)

#5868400 - 10/18/11 03:31 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Ionfyst]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

the military discount is only 10% and that is for personnel who are currently serving

i will look at other gyms in my area(the only other one that i can go to is by my fiancee's job but their website looks like a wordpress blog without any pictures of the gym and no updates to things that are going on.

http://www.crossfitmc.com (that's the one where i signed up)
http://www.cfsilverspring.com (the one by my fiancee's job)

#5868505 - 10/18/11 04:10 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

wow they got that 24 hour fitness structure. my payments can be late or adjusted if need be, I live 2 blocks away from my gym's owner and have a pretty decent personal relationship with the guy. It all depends on the owners.

And Jayson Mike Burger-nerrr lol is a very popular name in crossfit as his dad and sage burger-neeeer go around and perform o-lift demo's at crossfit gyms, we had sage do a seminar at our gym not so long ago. I haven't gone because a weekend isn't going to snap me out of my football mentality of crank and yank. Just getting critiqued every day helps a lot. I can deadlift my ass off now and never get soreness in my upper back or lower back always hamstrings.

haven't made much progress in my weight loss, put on 7lbs due to shitty eating and missing the gym. (big money ticket for my car, and then surprise clutch job.) but I got back on the horse last week and am back to 204 or even less now.

I'm still around here, just a pound lighter.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/us...Apm1Ae0142.jpeg

my forearms are getting pretty vascular and I think my bicep vein started peeking it's head out, I'm super excited about that.

yesterdays workout.

A: Max Front Squat (100kg - no improvement but I did do it w/o a weight belt)
*20 min Cap

5 Sets:

B1: 7 Tire Flips; 20 Sec
B2: 10 Burpees; 20 sec
B3: 100m Sand Bag Run; 2 min

(this took almost 30 minutes, it wasn't like the normal I'm dying crossfit workout I worked at a turtles pace took about 30 minutes. the 4th and 5th round of those tire flips were slaying me.)

today is

A: Power Snatch: Build to a Heavy 3RM
*10 min Cap

3 Sets:
B1: 800m Run; 30 sec
B2: 10 Back Squats (62/44); 3 min

fuck me.

Edited by 137 (10/18/11 04:15 PM)

#5868759 - 10/18/11 06:22 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

blame the DC cost of living on those crossfit rates. most people where i live in central VA pay $100-150/mo for unlimited, depending on discounts and how many months pre-paid.
#5869508 - 10/19/11 01:51 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Wow your local crossfit gym is crazy with those rates. Here I have 3 choices of gyms and they are all with in 10 minutes of my house or work.
Here are their prices:
Unlimited $150, 3x a week $100
Unlimited $125, 2x a week $65
Unlimited $175, 10x a month $100

They all don't require you to prepay or charge a penalty. In fact they give you a discount if you prepay and a discount depending how long you keep staying. Also discounts on LEO, military, firefiters, students, teens. Even couples get discounts when they join together.

The gyms I spoke to also don't require me to take the extra intro-course since I know all the olympic lifts already.

I'm doing a week long free trial membership at all 3 gyms so I am basically going to get 3 weeks for free.

#5869511 - 10/19/11 02:00 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

And Jayson Mike Burger-nerrr lol is a very popular name in crossfit as his dad and sage burger-neeeer go around and perform o-lift demo's at crossfit gyms, we had sage do a seminar at our gym not so long ago. I haven't gone because a weekend isn't going to snap me out of my football mentality of crank and yank. Just getting critiqued every day helps a lot. I can deadlift my ass off now and never get soreness in my upper back or lower back always hamstrings.
I heard Mike comes by 2 of the 3 gyms I'm looking at quite a bit for training sessions. I wanted to join his Olympic gym(Mike's Gym) a long time ago. About 20-30 minutes from my house. I can't wait to work out with him again.

#5869980 - 10/19/11 10:16 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow your local crossfit gym is crazy with those rates. Here I have 3 choices of gyms and they are all with in 10 minutes of my house or work.
Here are their prices:
Unlimited $150, 3x a week $100
Unlimited $125, 2x a week $65
Unlimited $175, 10x a month $100

They all don't require you to prepay or charge a penalty. In fact they give you a discount if you prepay and a discount depending how long you keep staying. Also discounts on LEO, military, firefiters, students, teens. Even couples get discounts when they join together.

The gyms I spoke to also don't require me to take the extra intro-course since I know all the olympic lifts already.

I'm doing a week long free trial membership at all 3 gyms so I am basically going to get 3 weeks for free.

damn that's nice

i wish our prices were that low. unfortunately antness has a point. i guess it's mainly driven by the cost of living/let's see how much we can charge and who will go along with it price structure

#5870023 - 10/19/11 10:32 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

another sad thing is that in my building(department of Labor), the rates for contractors to use the gym is either 6 mons - 185 dollars or 1yr - 325. for gov't employees, it's $10 a month

unlimited usage

#5870035 - 10/19/11 10:42 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
Ionfyst Offline
Blackhawks 4 Lyfe!
Post Master Sr

another sad thing is that in my building(department of Labor), the rates for contractors to use the gym is either 6 mons - 185 dollars or 1yr - 325. for gov't employees, it's $10 a month

unlimited usage

It's hard to compare though. I came from a gym that was $20 a month and had trouble stomaching the higher costs in the beginning until I really thought about what the differences are. At my old gym the only interaction I got from the staff was saying hi as I swiped my card at the front desk. At crossfit I can call over the coach any time I want to check my form or demonstrate something.

#5870169 - 10/19/11 12:00 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Ionfyst]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Ionfyst

unlimited usage

It's hard to compare though. I came from a gym that was $20 a month and had trouble stomaching the higher costs in the beginning until I really thought about what the differences are. At my old gym the only interaction I got from the staff was saying hi as I swiped my card at the front desk. At crossfit I can call over the coach any time I want to check my form or demonstrate something.

i understand you on that point

#5870528 - 10/19/11 02:18 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Duc]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Lol, these crossfit gyms are getting rich off you guys. Isn't the idea that the workouts are based on pretty basic moves and that you don't need a bunch of equipment? What is $150 a month actually getting you? /honestquestion

#5870672 - 10/19/11 03:04 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ionfyst Offline
Blackhawks 4 Lyfe!
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Mr. Mom
Lol, these crossfit gyms are getting rich off you guys. Isn't the idea that the workouts are based on pretty basic moves and that you don't need a bunch of equipment? What is $150 a month actually getting you? /honestquestion

Honestly, for me it mostly gets me out the door. My regular gym buddies schedules changed and after being on my own my gym appearances were sporadic at best. Now I not only have a regular group that I see often and can call me and get me out to the gym but I know that if I don't go it's money lost. It also helps if you don't really know what you're doing as the coach is always there to help out.

If you know what you're doing, have the space/equipment and can motivate by yourself then there's no real point in paying for a crossfit gym IMO because it does cost a lot.

Edited by Ionfyst (10/19/11 03:05 PM)

#5871495 - 10/19/11 08:27 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Like I said previously I live 2 blocks away from my gyms owner, while he does have a house he pays mortgage on, he's also paying for a facility that's like 4000 square feet in the heart of oldtown pasadena, his rent is probably like 3200-4000 a month, factor in he has a fuckload of equipment, at least 18 barbells, over 3000 pounds of weight, tires, 6 glute ham developer machines, about 30 abmats, 8c2 rowers, 3 airdyne bycicles, ring setups, a bunch more stuff.

After his overhead and shit he's just barely scraping by he drives a ford fusion, will order us the occasional ufc fight, his wife drives a honda accord and is a school teacher. He's not rolling up to the gym in a maybach and a personalized velour sweat suit.

So don't think everyone is getting rich overnight opening crossfit gyms, the people who think that are opening up their own gyms and those are the ones that quickly dissipate into nothing.

They thrive off of word of mouth business, there is no Julian whatever her name is from biggest loser on tv selling pedometers and year long memberships for 250 on television in between episodes of your favorite tv show. It's small business, and at the end of the day not everyone is as motivated as yourself Chris to run marathons, or have that self sufficiency to bust ass like you do (not that I'm knocking it I admire it.)

But like you said the other day you wanted to work on upper body stuff but you had no idea what you should be doing. Where as the same type of person in a crossfit gym is doing ring pull ups, dips, kipping pull ups, weighted pull ups, muscle ups, handstand push ups.

Not in a million years would I just go into a gym in front of other strangers on their smith machine loading up weight for the other people who are looking at them and not locking out, or properly executing the movements sipping on their redline and ON WHEY Stack protein after their workout and walking around for 10 minutes in between sets to drink that mouth full of water they've been holding in. and attempt a burpee to be criticized.

Everyone is on the same page, there is no negativity in a crossfit gym only encouragement, when you feel like quitting or saying that's enough you have someone else just as tired as you are telling you to make that extra rep. You have coaches checking your diet, you have other people eating the same as you or better giving you tips on what to eat, you build relationships and stuff with these people and it's a better social enactment than pm'ing people on the internet to hang at some random place.

You have something in common, and everyone has a common goal.

anyway, that's what I get out of my membership, that and I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been, and have netted the most overall results since I tried a super strict diet and a personal trainer which cost almost twice as much for just 90 days.

#5872192 - 10/20/11 03:57 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Olympic weight lifting is what I get out of it. The extra stuff is icing on the cake. Wayne pretty much nailed it on the head.

#5876461 - 10/21/11 02:11 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Like I said previously I live 2 blocks away from my gyms owner, while he does have a house he pays mortgage on, he's also paying for a facility that's like 4000 square feet in the heart of oldtown pasadena, his rent is probably like 3200-4000 a month, factor in he has a fuckload of equipment, at least 18 barbells, over 3000 pounds of weight, tires, 6 glute ham developer machines, about 30 abmats, 8c2 rowers, 3 airdyne bycicles, ring setups, a bunch more stuff.

After his overhead and shit he's just barely scraping by he drives a ford fusion, will order us the occasional ufc fight, his wife drives a honda accord and is a school teacher. He's not rolling up to the gym in a maybach and a personalized velour sweat suit.

So don't think everyone is getting rich overnight opening crossfit gyms, the people who think that are opening up their own gyms and those are the ones that quickly dissipate into nothing.

They thrive off of word of mouth business, there is no Julian whatever her name is from biggest loser on tv selling pedometers and year long memberships for 250 on television in between episodes of your favorite tv show. It's small business, and at the end of the day not everyone is as motivated as yourself Chris to run marathons, or have that self sufficiency to bust ass like you do (not that I'm knocking it I admire it.)

But like you said the other day you wanted to work on upper body stuff but you had no idea what you should be doing. Where as the same type of person in a crossfit gym is doing ring pull ups, dips, kipping pull ups, weighted pull ups, muscle ups, handstand push ups.

Not in a million years would I just go into a gym in front of other strangers on their smith machine loading up weight for the other people who are looking at them and not locking out, or properly executing the movements sipping on their redline and ON WHEY Stack protein after their workout and walking around for 10 minutes in between sets to drink that mouth full of water they've been holding in. and attempt a burpee to be criticized.

Everyone is on the same page, there is no negativity in a crossfit gym only encouragement, when you feel like quitting or saying that's enough you have someone else just as tired as you are telling you to make that extra rep. You have coaches checking your diet, you have other people eating the same as you or better giving you tips on what to eat, you build relationships and stuff with these people and it's a better social enactment than pm'ing people on the internet to hang at some random place.

You have something in common, and everyone has a common goal.

anyway, that's what I get out of my membership, that and I think I'm in the best shape I've ever been, and have netted the most overall results since I tried a super strict diet and a personal trainer which cost almost twice as much for just 90 days.

Wow, great response. Hit the nail on the head.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the volume of members is much less than gobo gyms. One of the big LA Fitness gyms near me has 40,000 members. Most mature CF gyms have about 100-200 tops. Space is a big issue, as is equipment. It will cost around 50k for a good amount of decent equipment. There are a few gyms that have before really successful, there's a chain in Atlanta that does really well and they charge a lot each month because they have so many members and high demand.

You are doing well if you have 150 members paying 150 a month, but usually rent is a big cost, as is paying for your equipment and people to work for you because there's simply no way to train all those people on your own. And 150 members is a lot for a CF gym. So yeah, no one is getting rich but it can be a fairly decent living. It's nothing like owning a 24 hr gym where you sit around and watch the money roll in. It's A LOT of work. I work part time at a CF gym as a trainer a couple nights a week, and sometimes it gets tiring being "on" for five hours at a time.

#5877494 - 10/22/11 12:36 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

wonder what would happen at that LA Fitness gym if 1/3 to 1/2 of the membership showed up on any given day -- like they do at most crossfit gyms.
#5887580 - 10/26/11 07:36 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

It would be bad news

Anyone hit any good wods recently? I am now a early morning wodder since I have a new job and don't have time in the evenings anymore. I did the Crossfit NW Regional wod this morning, 3 rounds of 10 135lb OHS and 50 double unders. The double unders fucking killed me...

#5888228 - 10/27/11 03:06 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: NateD]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

50, yeah fuck that. My damn calves are still sore from monday's wod.

A: establish heavy 3 rep front squat, I failed at 100kg got 90. I can get more on this easily but my front rack mobility is fucking me gently. Anything heavier than 90 and I feel it across my traps and delts like they're going to explode.

B: 20 minute amrap
30 double unders
200m run

I got 9 rounds. and 25 reps.
So a 1 mile run, and 295 double unders

#5888274 - 10/27/11 06:41 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 240sx805]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
damn, reminds me of a harder version of Muay Thai training.

I would love to try cross fit..

#5897795 - 10/31/11 05:29 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: OracerO]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

5 rounds for time.

5 126kg/277lbs deadlift
10 burpee's

I'm happy the people pushed me for a sub ten, I was totally okay with making those burpee's 2 minutes on the last round. Deadlifts were all unbroken 1st and 5th round.

Edited by 137 (10/31/11 06:50 PM)

#5897962 - 10/31/11 06:41 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nicely done, you're gonna be sore in the morning!

I'm thinking about doing "Bradshaw" in the morning...not sure if I want my back to be sore all week though since I'm out of protein powder

#5897990 - 10/31/11 06:51 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: NateD]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

doh, left out how many reps of deads. holy shit form was a shit show round five, whole class finished before me and the deaded cf cheers came through hard lol. couldn't let them down.

#5907539 - 11/04/11 06:49 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Friday may incapacitate me for the whole weekend.

2 Rounds for time:

12 Deadlifts (62/44)

24 Sit Ups

8 Hang Power Cleans (62/44)

20 Sit Ups

6 Front Squats (62/44)

16 Sit Ups

4 Squat Clean & Jerks (62/44)

12 Sit Ups

Followed Immediately by:

100 Double Unders

#5908783 - 11/04/11 02:39 PM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
toothy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Been back to working out again after a year or so off. I've been going to Crossfit Hells Kitchen here in NYC. We did max clean/bench press/OHS today and I was very surprised at the numbers I was able to put up after only working out again for a month.

195lbs Clean
215lbs Bench Press
165lbs OHS

My clean was limited surprisingly by my front squat and my OHS was limited by my shoulder strength. Give it another month and I'm sure those numbers will be much closer to what they used to be.

#5909776 - 11/05/11 03:07 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: toothy]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

that wod I posted sucked fucking ass. We had a bad ass in the gym smoke it in 9:16 took me 20 minutes and 40 seconds, I was the only other guy in class besides speedy fucking gonzales that did weight and double's as prescribed. Then again he is Gene LaMonica's little brother. http://games.crossfit.com/features/videos/struggled-come-back

#5970524 - 12/03/11 04:11 AM Re: First Crossfit class... [Re: 137]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Jeez todays workout sucked...

For time:

10 GHD Sit Ups
200m Run
50 Wall Ball (20/10, 16/8)

10 GHD Sit Ups
200m Run
25 Wall Ball

10 GHD Sit Ups
200m Run
50 Wall Ball

Took me about 16 minutes to finish, my Sartorius Muscle has been acting up on my left leg so you could imagine when going full extension on the ghd's I was hurting pretty bad.

Then me and my buddy Rob decided to do some dead lifting after the work out. I'm happy to report that I easily have a 200kg deadlift now. I was so burnt out from the workout plus yesterday's involved deadlifts so my grip was shit and it slipped out of my hand slightly at the top so I came down fast with it.

I was able to get 210kg slightly off of the floor so I think fresh on a max day I can pull that and it will be faily easy.

Rob took it to the hnl and did 220kg.

http://youtu.be/OSMK9CJb92s

Page 23 of 35 « First<2122232425>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads