Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7974367 - 11/21/14 01:42 PM Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine
RedheadsFTW Offline
Post Master

Loc: St. Paul, MN
First, sorry for coming into this not overly informed, I don't have a whole lot of free time right now!

It's been about a month and a half since I completed my first Marathon (4:43) and after taking it rather easy and letting my body fully recover, it is time to start winter training. I'm currently 6'2 and right at 200lbs, so I have some work to do.

Goals: Core strength, larger muscles throughout the body(I'm aware that "distance" running hugely affects this), become a faster runner (up to 13 miles)

I am having some trouble figuring out where to start. I have never consistently lifted weights before, and have never done a program.

Based on the little bit of research I have done, the Powerlifts 5x5 routine and treadmill speedwork on days off seems like about what I can do. Or should I hold off on speedwork for the most part until winter is almost over?

If anyone has any quick suggestions, post them up! I will eventually have time to sit down and figure out a plan.

Edited by RedheadsFTW (11/21/14 01:43 PM)

#7974463 - 11/21/14 02:19 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: RedheadsFTW]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'd be cautious about adding speedwork and weights at the same time. Both are pretty intense.

My thoughts, Keep your base miles decent. Add the weights (starting strength maybe?) Once you get to a decent level of strength in 4-5 months it'll be spring time. Change your weights to a maintenance level, and add speed work as your "intense" training.

As for why Starting strength? It tends to do more lightweight reps to help your body learn the movements and build teh muscle memory. A lot of newb gains are precisely from this. It's about your body learning to perform those moves as an efficient sequence. It also ramps up a little faster than most programs as it's for newbs experiencing newb gains. It also functions well as an all in one program. No need to figure something out. Just do what it says, there are calculators online for the warm-ups.

Also, any of the full body lifts will build core. All 6 of the movements in SS are relatively full-body and all of them help the core.

#7974549 - 11/21/14 03:02 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: ]
Flipped
Unregistered

Any 5x5 that includes dead lifts, squats, flat bench and military press will do fine. Do that until you stop getting newb gains.

Starting Strength is a good one.

#7974774 - 11/21/14 06:13 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Technically SS is 3x5, but it tends to have slight higher non-working sets.

I think the main benefit of SS is it moves up faster than many other programs(every work-out vs every couple weeks).

#7974790 - 11/21/14 06:28 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: ]
Flipped
Unregistered

I meant stronglifts....sorry, been while.
#7975153 - 11/21/14 11:04 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: ]
RedheadsFTW Offline
Post Master

So, it sounds like Starting Strength is recommended by a few of you, I'll start that on Sunday after I research it and print off a calendar.

I really want to work on my speed as well. I'm not looking for "huge" gains, but I would like to bring my 10k pace down to ~8:20/mile(at 9:30 right now). I don't feel like training for that pace is overly demanding on the body, as it really isn't that fast. Am I wrong with this train of thought? Am I just asking to injure myself if I try to increase my running pace?

Edited by RedheadsFTW (11/21/14 11:05 PM)

#7975187 - 11/21/14 11:54 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: RedheadsFTW]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Wewt that's right about where I am now (8:30 or so 10k pace)
I run about 12-15 miles a week, have a long/slow day (10:30 ish pace) and a few tempo-ish runs (8:30 pace for 3-4 miles) but I basically skip speed work days. I can't run a marathon but I'm bordering on holding a 8:00 pace for a 10k and 9:00 for a half. Most people say that Hal higdon guides are good.

But if you want to be fast I think the consensus is you need more time spent running fast, at goal pace, faster than goal pace, etc etc. I have no idea what I'm talking about FYI and am great if u need tips on being skinny-fat

#7975328 - 11/22/14 08:25 AM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: stickaz_old]
65_289 Offline
Post Master Sr

If he is doing SS 100% as written, I imagine recovery will become an issue fairly quickly if he is running many miles a week. Squatting 3x a week and deadlifting 1-2x a week will put a pretty decent load on the legs once you have been doing the program for several weeks. That's not to say that SS isn't a great program, but OP might find himself stalling on those lifts quicker than if he was just doing SS.
#7975519 - 11/22/14 12:24 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: RedheadsFTW]
bt0 Offline
Post Master Sr

Read something the other day that said to wait 1 day per mile raced before starting any serious speedwork. Easy recovery crosstraining after a long race is good.
#7975839 - 11/22/14 04:57 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: 65_289]
RedheadsFTW Offline
Post Master

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think at this point I'm just going to run ~10 miles a week and focus on learning proper technique while lifting. I won't be running another Marathon next year, so I'll focus on lifting til spring and see what kind of results I see.

#7976564 - 11/23/14 09:56 AM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: RedheadsFTW]
Flipped
Unregistered

Starting Strength book will be your key to proper form.
#8041980 - 01/12/15 01:55 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: Anonymous]
RedheadsFTW Offline
Post Master

So after reading Starting Strength and his Practical Programming for Strength Training books, I decided on the Starting Strength Practical Programming routine. After I gain some strength, I'll move on and add cleans to my routine, but at this point I feel that I'm too damn novice to add them to the list.

I went very conservative with my lifts, and I am currently at:
130 Squat
90 Bench
65 OHP
150 Deadlift
Chinup/Pullup 3x to failure with 40lb assist for now.

After a bit of research, I also decided that I'm going to do a 20min HIIT program twice a week on my off days. Now I really need to figure out my macro's and how to do weekly meal prep that meets those macro's/find out how the hell to eat 3100 calories a day.

Anything else you guys can think of that I should be doing?

#8042041 - 01/12/15 02:20 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: RedheadsFTW]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
damn ob1 gone already haha

#8055720 - 01/21/15 05:29 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: 137]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm semi-officially on the contemplating-a-first-marathon camp here

oct 25, morgan hill
http://mhmarathon.racemine.com/Themes/MHMarathon/content/files/mhm_2014_map_full.pdf

a decent hill [to me] in that first 14 miles or so.

:gulp:

#8055969 - 01/21/15 08:21 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
You can do it!

#8056145 - 01/22/15 12:51 AM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Don't do it. You'll get hooked, drop 30 lbs, continue kicking @ss, and start fat shaming the rest of CSI.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8057196 - 01/22/15 04:55 PM Re: Confused about how to proceed v.postmarathonworkoutroutine [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

huh if I lose 10# more I'm sitting at 15% body fat [assuming 2:1 fat vs lean losses] \:D [194 was 19% BF], I really doubt I have the calorie management skills to get below that level at this advanced age \:D

so I'm basically at the end of those types of gains imo \:\(

so off to consider slamming into the wall at/about mile 17 heh...

thks for the encouragement tho. I'm thinking unlike the half where I tried to 'race' it that I'd just try to 'survive' it, eg never faster than a 10/11:00 pace ever. Which I suppose is probably my fitness level to be honest but how would I know as my furthest long run lifetime has been 14 miles lol

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads