Page 36 of 261 « First<3435363738>Last »
Topic Options
#5162536 - 11/10/10 07:32 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
I need to get you to critique my photos and catch the stuff I'm missing.

This is a heavy crop, but 200mm only reaches so far. I've got them coming closer to the house now. Taken a month ago - just noticed the chipmunk in the picture.

Cardinal Watching a Chipmunk by mjkjr, on Flickr

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#5162928 - 11/10/10 10:09 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: flyEX #1]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Mike, I really like this one, but now you have me curious to what the full frame looks like. Any chance that what they're looking at to the left is in the original frame (or at least something they could have be looking at)?

cheers,
scott

#5162940 - 11/10/10 10:12 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Homicide
Damn - I really love this shot but there's something about the green grass at his feet that is bothering me. Almost like too green, not sure, looks almost natural but it looks almost artificial - errr. Its killing me because I don't know what is bothering me.

I almost want to say it seems like there's too much 'clarity' while using LR but then I look at everything else and I'm like it's not that.

I'm just going to say I love the shot but the green grass directly under him is bothering me.

Yeah, I totally agree, the whole bottom edge of the frame is generally distracting. Maybe I'll make another layer just for that portion of the grass and try to tone it down.

*edit* changed it.

cheers,
scott

Edited by scootergeek (11/10/10 10:41 AM)

#5163011 - 11/10/10 10:33 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: scootergeek
Mike, I really like this one, but now you have me curious to what the full frame looks like. Any chance that what they're looking at to the left is in the original frame (or at least something they could have be looking at)?

cheers,
scott

Funny you ask. There isn't another animal in that frame, but the shots I took to the left a few seconds earlier explain why they were staring.

Pair of Doves by mjkjr, on Flickr

and the 100% crop:

Pair of Doves 100% Crop by mjkjr, on Flickr

I need to post those in the lens archive at POTN for anyone considering birding with the f/4L.

-Mike

Edited by Stuntman Mike (11/10/10 11:21 AM)

#5163223 - 11/10/10 12:01 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Damn - I really love this shot but there's something about the green grass at his feet that is bothering me. Almost like too green, not sure, looks almost natural but it looks almost artificial - errr. Its killing me because I don't know what is bothering me.

I almost want to say it seems like there's too much 'clarity' while using LR but then I look at everything else and I'm like it's not that.

I'm just going to say I love the shot but the green grass directly under him is bothering me.

Yeah, I totally agree, the whole bottom edge of the frame is generally distracting. Maybe I'll make another layer just for that portion of the grass and try to tone it down.

*edit* changed it.

cheers,
scott

That fixed my issues with it. I really wish you would have left the other image so I could compare them both to see if anything else changed (or if you could send me a PM maybe we could discuss more - I'm trying to learn all this, I know what looks right, I just sometimes don't know how to do the things). But the new edit definitely fixed that grass issue I had.

#5163251 - 11/10/10 12:13 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

That fixed my issues with it. I really wish you would have left the other image so I could compare them both to see if anything else changed (or if you could send me a PM maybe we could discuss more - I'm trying to learn all this, I know what looks right, I just sometimes don't know how to do the things). But the new edit definitely fixed that grass issue I had.

Old:

New:

Basically the entire bottom third of the image (not counting the bison) was all out of proportion to the rest of the background in brightness, saturation and sharpness. I originally tried to treat the background as a single layer, but thanks to the shade up front and some atmospheric haze in the background, they visually separated from each other - and again thanks to the shade, the foreground sort of attached itself to the bison, making him just a little indistinct along his legs and face. When I went back in, I copied the background layer, selected the tree on the left and the bottom third of the grass and just lowered the contrast on the shadows and softened the colors (cutting a lot of blue and magenta out on top of a slight overall desaturation) and gaussian blurred it slightly more.

Edited by scootergeek (11/10/10 12:22 PM)

#5163871 - 11/10/10 03:12 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Damn! Thanks for the explanation. Seeing them together really shows the improvement and your explanation definitely helps a ton. And seeing the original again makes me hate the original grass even more.

#5164439 - 11/10/10 07:15 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

St. Louis Zoo by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#5164635 - 11/10/10 08:36 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I love hippos!!! They always seem to be smiling and having fun.

#5164766 - 11/10/10 09:40 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I saw them next-to-last and they cheered me up immensely. Some animals don't seem to mind captivity one way or the other, but all the "cool" animals (big cats, bears, African savanna types, birds, etc.) seemed depressed, except the hippos - they were swimming laps and playing with each other.

cheers,
scott

#5165136 - 11/11/10 05:36 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I saw them next-to-last and they cheered me up immensely. Some animals don't seem to mind captivity one way or the other, but all the "cool" animals (big cats, bears, African savanna types, birds, etc.) seemed depressed, except the hippos - they were swimming laps and playing with each other.

cheers,
scott

I think a lot of it has to do with what the animals want to be in versus when you see them.

For example at the Cincinnati zoo the bears are always having fun and doing stuff, especially the polar bears. Most of our cats seem cool as they have plenty of room to roam and move around (especially the cheetahs). Most of our birds seem happy except the penguins, but penguins are typically chill animals I guess. Our rhinos and are badass, always playing in the mud - they make me laugh.

Our depressed animals seem to be the eagles (probably because their flight cage sucks), the bengal tigers (although I'm told they prefer dusk/night and go crazy then), and manatees (all the seem to do is float, far away from the view windows).

#5165960 - 11/11/10 12:31 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

I agree. Most cats sleep all day anyway. I have some tiger pictures, but the autofocus grabbed a branch and I didn't check the focus before moving on.

The lions seemed pretty content and can also growl pretty loud.

Here's the world's largest bas-relief sculpture on the world's largest monolith:

Stone Mountain by mjkjr, on Flickr

#5166747 - 11/11/10 05:32 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: flyEX #1]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Stone Mountain!!! I loved when we lived in Atlanta and went to the laser shows there. Awesome picture! I keep looking at it trying to find something I don't like but there's nothing. I hate you now. It's like perfectly set!!! Did you shoot it in monochrome or did you convert it? Did you do any cropping? I mean like the rule of 1/3s (which I don't understand much) has to be perfect on the front guys eyes - it's like perfect! (at least according to my finger measurements).

Seriously that's going to be background photo if you don't mind.

#5166872 - 11/11/10 06:30 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

It's a color image - you can see rust running down off parts of the sculpture. Took it in late afternoon after the direct sunlight was gone. Hand-held shot with a 135mm. I cropped it a little just because that was the best spot for a photo, but not much.

Thanks for your comment. You should be able to download the full size image and I can send you the original file, etc.

-Mike

Edited by Stuntman Mike (11/11/10 06:47 PM)

#5167045 - 11/11/10 08:29 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
jsmonet Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: So. Cali
Stone Mountain!!! I loved when we lived in Atlanta and went to the laser shows there. Awesome picture! I keep looking at it trying to find something I don't like but there's nothing. I hate you now. It's like perfectly set!!! Did you shoot it in monochrome or did you convert it? Did you do any cropping? I mean like the rule of 1/3s (which I don't understand much) has to be perfect on the front guys eyes - it's like perfect! (at least according to my finger measurements).

Seriously that's going to be background photo if you don't mind.

rule of thirds is simple. basically it says you're most likely going to be interested in shit at 4 points in an image.

__|__|__
__|__|__
| |

at the points where those lines intersect.

hard and fast rule? hardly. break it whimsically.

#5167146 - 11/11/10 09:25 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: jsmonet]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

jsmonet - well that's about what I know of the rule of 1/3s. I find in my paintball shots that if I typically try and align the person on a 1/3 line the pictures look more dynamic. Sometimes I get lucky and have the person on a 1/3 vertical line and the barrel going down the top 1/3 vertical line. I'll post some up in a day or two.

Mike - yeah I see the rust now - never even considered the sun was down as I've only seen it in direct sunlight or with lasers!

edit - I dl'ed the full size jpeg - that's all I need. Thanks man!

Edited by Homicide (11/11/10 09:26 PM)

#5167313 - 11/11/10 11:22 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Nate047]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lone Elk Park by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#5167441 - 11/12/10 01:15 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Page 37. wooohooo

Stone Mountain Sky Lift #1 by mjkjr, on Flickr

#5167672 - 11/12/10 08:23 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: flyEX #1]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Mike, that's a great pic man. I've been slacking as of late, but I will be down in the Niagara Gorge tomorrow fishing, so I should be able to get some wicked shots (I could really use that polarizer now, lol)

#5169597 - 11/12/10 08:40 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: LNXGUY]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Lone Elk Park by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#5169692 - 11/12/10 09:52 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mike - I love everything about that picture except the bright panel, and not because it's bright, but the sides. I thought maybe it was part of the flickr compression in size but in your full size the left edge as we look at it is very choppy. Maybe it's tape (or what appears to be tape) like on the right edge, don't know, but if that was cleaned up ever so slightly, it would help immensely.

Scott - is that a double flash during panning to get that effect? I really like the shot, different, almost spooky.

Edited by Homicide (11/12/10 09:54 PM)

#5169712 - 11/12/10 10:01 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Scott - is that a double flash during panning to get that effect? I really like the shot, different, almost spooky.

It's panning with a slow shutter speed and some rear-curtain fill flash right at the end. Of about a dozen or so tries this evening of bison and this doe, this is the only one that worked.

cheers,
scott

#5169760 - 11/12/10 10:18 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

That was tape. I've been going through my photostream for the last couple of days and flinching at a few overdone pics.

I don't have / use photoshop. I'd redo that pic, but want to see what happens after working with a real monitor now. I just recently started trying to make sure the 100% original pic was perfect. Never saw my old pics at a higher resolution than 700p tall. I haven't brought any of my old files or presets to this computer.

Here's my buddy the sparrow helping me clean up a spill. 10 minutes early for Saturday.

Hungry Sparrow by mjkjr, on Flickr

Edited by Stuntman Mike (11/12/10 10:49 PM)

#5169948 - 11/13/10 12:18 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: flyEX #1]
BobBarker
Unregistered

Another one for Scott, although I don't think he likes Fiats nearly as much as he likes Alfas.

#5170132 - 11/13/10 07:10 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's panning with a slow shutter speed and some rear-curtain fill flash right at the end. Of about a dozen or so tries this evening of bison and this doe, this is the only one that worked.

cheers,
scott

Awesome! At least it worked once.

Originally Posted By: Stuntman Mike
That was tape. I've been going through my photostream for the last couple of days and flinching at a few overdone pics.

I don't have / use photoshop. I'd redo that pic, but want to see what happens after working with a real monitor now. I just recently started trying to make sure the 100% original pic was perfect. Never saw my old pics at a higher resolution than 700p tall. I haven't brought any of my old files or presets to this computer.

Well if it's tape then it doesn't bother me anymore. I could easily see the tape on the right side, the left side though I was like - WTF! is that.

#5171101 - 11/13/10 07:40 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

November Steelhead by lnxguycsi, on Flickr

#5171102 - 11/13/10 07:41 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: LNXGUY]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm digging it, but why is the guy's hand so red?

#5171103 - 11/13/10 07:42 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Columbia Bottom Conservation Area by scottspaeth, on Flickr

#5171106 - 11/13/10 07:43 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

The water is about 38 degrees. As soon as you stick your hands in they go blood red, lol

I made a few small tweaks in PS, but nothing crazy, basically darkened it up a bit and added some contrast.

#5171110 - 11/13/10 07:48 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: LNXGUY]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
The water is about 38 degrees. As soon as you stick your hands in they go blood red, lol

I made a few small tweaks in PS, but nothing crazy, basically darkened it up a bit and added some contrast.

Cool.

cheers,
scott

#5171360 - 11/14/10 12:05 AM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: scootergeek]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Craigslist

#5171967 - 11/14/10 02:03 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: GB]
jsmonet Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: So. Cali
sharpness, you finally haz it \:D

dude, is that a light bar inside the windshield? rad!

#5172048 - 11/14/10 03:33 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: jsmonet]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Finally getting around to work on processing my paintball photos through the year (I've done a few of my teammates and people I know but now going back and redoing them with LR3). Hopefully I can get a few a week posted and please please please give comments, especially on post processing.

#5172183 - 11/14/10 05:35 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Huggy]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

Matcha genoise

#5172371 - 11/14/10 08:09 PM Re: Post one random shot *per day* [Re: Lafora]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
Teaser from yesterday:

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

Page 36 of 261 « First<3435363738>Last »

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads