Page 10 of 35 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#4387079 - 01/01/10 05:53 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: cvclover]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: EST
 Originally Posted By: cvclover
So for example, if you did Fran in like 8 minutes, that's your workout for the day?

yes. that would be the equivalent of 45 front squats 95#, 45 shoulder press 95#, and 45 pull-ups. most people dont put up that many reps in an hour at the gym and they're resting 80% of the time.

#4391951 - 01/04/10 01:31 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

dont know if you guys have to be on beyondthewhiteboard to see this...

http://beyondthewhiteboard.com/workout_sessions/162543

this guy is a beast. 50 strict pull-ups, 270 pushups, 2:30 fran time. link is to a video of his Diane workout

#4391995 - 01/04/10 02:32 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
BTW, did the L-sits on your guys' recommendation. Made it to 45 seconds and then my arms gave out. I'll have to try it on a non-arms day. They were just too tired to support me any longer than that.
#4395917 - 01/05/10 07:53 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Silock]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Damn nice work.

How's everyone else been with their workouts? I'm finally getting back in the swing of things again when it's been fucking frigid around here (not great considering my gym has no heat). I did the HQ workout of

3 rounds
12 muscle ups
75 squats

27 minutes. Slow as balls but I haven't gotten to the point where I can do more than one muscle up in a row yet. There's a GHD workout posted for today and I'm a little nervous about them since it's been so long since I did them.

#4398246 - 01/05/10 06:43 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
toothy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
what does GHD stand for?

#4398283 - 01/05/10 07:02 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: toothy]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: toothy
what does GHD stand for?

glute hamstring developer. but crossfit just uses it for situps and back extensions

#4399480 - 01/06/10 07:27 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: antness
what does GHD stand for?

glute hamstring developer. but crossfit just uses it for situps and back extensions

What he said. My hip flexors have really starting popping since I began doing them on a semi-regular basis, otherwise known as those muscles that make up that "v" shape that girls always go nuts for.

Today's workout is:
5 rounds of
50 wall balls
25 pullups

Can't wait, puke city.

#4409626 - 01/08/10 10:56 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

anyone have any recommendation on how much i should be able to DL before using Rx weight (225#) on Diane?

i did a WOD last week that was 15-10-5 on DLs and used 200#. that was ok i just dropped the bar after each rep to make it easier.

#4411562 - 01/09/10 08:03 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

since this is the Fitness Forum, we obviously need to find out what Fran time we could expect from Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler

also..

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_f...296760&pageNo=0

#4414216 - 01/10/10 11:26 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

Loc: The Bayou City
It's honestly easier to not drop the bar doing higher rep heavier DL's... the energy it takes to reset every time is pretty significant.

I'd say you would want a max in the high 200's-300's before you try a WOD at 225, that's just my personal opinion, what is comfortable for you, might be different for me. A friend at the gym did a WOD a while back with me that had reps of 5 or so DL's at 285 and his max was 295 or so. He fought through and got a few rounds as it was an AMRAP wod, I wanna say the WOD was something like 5 DL, 10 knees to elbows, 15 push ups AMRAP for 15 minutes.

#4414225 - 01/10/10 11:32 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

On a side note, I resigned from my sales job last week and have started coaching/training at the box I've been a member of for the past 10 months or so. I'm starting CrossFit bootcamps in a very popular local park, as a supplement to the WODs in the actual box. We'll be offering less heavy weighted stuff, sort of targeting women and soccer moms. Should be sick! First class starts tomorrow!

Before anyone asks, yes I'm CrossFit L1 certified and CrossFit Kettlebell Certified. I'm planning on going to an Olympic Lifting cert soon, and I really want to go to the mobility and recovery cert. that Kelly Starrett offers.

This is something I've really wanted to do since probably 3 months after discovering CrossFit, thanks to Club Si for introducing me to this life changing community!

#4414287 - 01/11/10 12:02 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Andrew Mitchell
It's honestly easier to not drop the bar doing higher rep heavier DL's... the energy it takes to reset every time is pretty significant.

I'd say you would want a max in the high 200's-300's before you try a WOD at 225, that's just my personal opinion, what is comfortable for you, might be different for me. A friend at the gym did a WOD a while back with me that had reps of 5 or so DL's at 285 and his max was 295 or so. He fought through and got a few rounds as it was an AMRAP wod, I wanna say the WOD was something like 5 DL, 10 knees to elbows, 15 push ups AMRAP for 15 minutes.

i did Rx weight on Diane and dropped the bar after each rep. didnt try to string together reps. i scaled the DLs down to 15-10-5 but was going to keep HSPU 21-15-9. the DLs made them way harder than i expected because i lost control below my waist. went 21-10-5 on those. time 9:41. i've also been walking up the wall for HSPU, so i lose a couple reps each time i do that. after the WOD i finally got the nerve to kick up the right way. i'm hoping 225# feels a lot lighter after this

#4414958 - 01/11/10 09:58 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

I agree with this. I have weird (read: shitty) form so if I'm warm I can rep 225 out easily (once did 18 reps of 225 on a max deadlift day to finish out). But once I go heavy enough my form goes to shit. So for the meantime I'm stuck at 305. I want to at least get 315 so I can have 3 plates. Weaksauce.

On a side note, I resigned from my sales job last week and have started coaching/training at the box I've been a member of for the past 10 months or so. I'm starting CrossFit bootcamps in a very popular local park, as a supplement to the WODs in the actual box. We'll be offering less heavy weighted stuff, sort of targeting women and soccer moms. Should be sick! First class starts tomorrow!

Congrats! I've always figured that if me or my wife came into money I'd probably do some sort of training full time if I didn't have a day job. Did/are you taking a pay cut? What about health insurance?

#4419705 - 01/12/10 01:50 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detroit
been a while, just checking in to say I am still in. Did filthy 50 last saturday for the first time, can't remember my time but it was in the mid 30's. The burbees killed me. Also did Barbera on Thursday so I was still hurting from that. Started eating paleo on january 4th and have been about 90% successful. I need to just man up and starting posting pics to help motivate. maybe tonight.

OH yeah, my wife started her fundamentals last weekend, today is her last one before she joins the regular group. Can't wait for her to get that crossfit butt!

#4420587 - 01/12/10 05:20 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Kickass, you still liking it? I am jealousy of your wife joining.

I'm finally back in the swing of things I think. Last night I made up the strength WODs from the weekend (got 185lbs on both power clean and push jerk), did some tabata squats, and did a max effort of 41 pullups. I am pretty happy with all of the above.

#4420715 - 01/12/10 05:54 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
lunchbox Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detroit
I love it. just got back actually.

did 1 minute each of:
dumbell thrusters @ 25lbs
box jump
pushups
double unders
row
1 minute rest
repeat 3x

my filthy fifty official time was 32:59

I put my pic in the sexi pics thread but it is nothing to write home about.

Edited by beefbox (01/13/10 12:08 AM)

#4421808 - 01/13/10 02:31 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: lunchbox]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

on Cindy, my best is 18 rounds with strict pull-ups which is the only movement that I'll fail at, needing to break...usually starting around round 8-10. but, now that I can do kipping, i'll be past that and maybe pushups will start to be limiting. would kipping pushups be allowed? never seen anyone do them
#4421831 - 01/13/10 03:17 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
toothy Offline
Post Master Sr

on Cindy, my best is 18 rounds with strict pull-ups which is the only movement that I'll fail at, needing to break...usually starting around round 8-10. but, now that I can do kipping, i'll be past that and maybe pushups will start to be limiting. would kipping pushups be allowed? never seen anyone do them

lol, what would a kipping push even look like?

#4421836 - 01/13/10 03:28 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: toothy]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

like a snake. go all the way to the ground, like you're supposed to anyway, then pop your hips up

#4421839 - 01/13/10 03:47 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
toothy Offline
Post Master Sr

Oh, I get it lol..

#4422816 - 01/13/10 12:33 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

like a snake. go all the way to the ground, like you're supposed to anyway, then pop your hips up

Sounds like a girl pushup. Or that exercise, whose name escapes me at the moment that's kinda like the plank but you push your face to the floor and then up.

Glad we have another new convert around here. So far I've been unable to convince a single friend IRL to try Crossfit. Anyone had any success? Most people are really put off by the price.

#4423189 - 01/13/10 02:07 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: NateD Z24

Sounds like a girl pushup. Or that exercise, whose name escapes me at the moment that's kinda like the plank but you push your face to the floor and then up.

Glad we have another new convert around here. So far I've been unable to convince a single friend IRL to try Crossfit. Anyone had any success? Most people are really put off by the price.

There are a lot of people who want to be members but just don't know it. People who are paying between $25-60 PER SESSION at a globo type gym for small group or personal training that is similar to CrossFit.

#4423361 - 01/13/10 02:57 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Andrew Mitchell Offline

I'll be taking a temporary pay cut, but once I find a good location and actually set up the gym/affiliate the opportunities are pretty limitless...

On the workout side of things, my back is still kind of jacked and it's pissing me off, it's just tight muscles that act up during somewhat heavy squats/DL/cleans and sometimes even 30" box jumps. It's really pissing me off! I'm going to continue some airrosti treatment and hopefully that will fix it. I'm hoping it gets better soon because I'd really like to get back to training for the affiliate cup. Next year I plan on attending the games as a competitor, this year, pending my injury improving, the affiliate cup is in my sights!

As far as insurance I've got another week of insurance from my company, and I'm going to be purchasing private insurance, which will kind of suck. Once we get things rolling though my business partners and I plan to implement all the goods, 401k, insurance, etc.

#4424870 - 01/14/10 02:08 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Andrew Mitchell]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

chest is damn sore....did 300 pushups for time. just under 18 minutes.

next up...300 air squats, 300 situps, 200 kipping pullups, 75 handstand pushups. trying to work in 1 a day if the box WOD isnt too bad

#4426491 - 01/14/10 03:14 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tampa/Philly
ok i skimmed this thread because im very interested in starting a crossfit program for myself. i have access to a gym for lifting, so id like to that first each day, then head to the field near my house to kick my own ass. can u guys direct me somewhere that has some pretty good workout detailed that i would be able to do on my own without a crossfit gym? there is a park so it has monkey bars and shit for pullups. i just dont know where to find the workouts. sorry if its already been mentioned

#4428271 - 01/15/10 09:38 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hugh_G_Rection
ok i skimmed this thread because im very interested in starting a crossfit program for myself. i have access to a gym for lifting, so id like to that first each day, then head to the field near my house to kick my own ass. can u guys direct me somewhere that has some pretty good workout detailed that i would be able to do on my own without a crossfit gym? there is a park so it has monkey bars and shit for pullups. i just dont know where to find the workouts. sorry if its already been mentioned

Start here:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

That should give you the basics of crossfit methodology. You can also do crossfit stuff with weights too, it's not necessarily exclusive to bodyweight stuff (although that is a good place to start too.) There are also three Crossfit gyms in Gainesville that you may want to check out just to get some more hands on experience:

http://www.crossfitgainesville.com/getting-started.html
http://www.gatorcrossfit.com/
http://www.goprimalfitness.com/gym/get-started

And lastly, a comprehensive bodyweight workout list can be found here:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38312

Hope this helps, let us know what you do \:\) It may be useful to get some coaching to help you learn kipping pullups and the like.

#4430342 - 01/15/10 07:11 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: NateD]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

angie for the first time today (100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 abmat sit-ups, 100 air squats)

16:19 Rx and torn hands again

#4430585 - 01/15/10 09:54 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

awesome Nate!!! thanks a ton!! and yea, kipping pullups are evil lol

#4430632 - 01/15/10 10:37 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

ok new question. now that i have a better understanding of the routines and exercies, the WOD seems fairly easy some days. i know it will prolly crush me, but some of them look like they can be completed in 10-15 mins a day. how can that be construed as a full workout? i guess maybe its cuz im just conditioned to think i need to lift for 45 mins and then run for 45 mins to get a full workout in

#4430677 - 01/15/10 11:05 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

which one do you think is easy?
#4431125 - 01/16/10 09:03 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

ok let me rephrase. im in fairly good shape as ive been hitting the gym for 4-5 nights for the past year, so i can complete most of the "girl" WOD's without having a heart attack. what im asking is for those of u who have been doing this for a while, do u feel that these workouts are all encompassing? its odd going from selectively isolating muscles on certain days to workout and doing basic endurance cardio, to these fast-paced, all-body workouts. does that make sense?

i will say this tho. the best shape i was ever in was HS when our football coach made us do plyometrics and medicine ball work 3 times a week. i feel a lot of this is very similar in the tempo and maybe that is what ive been lacking in my workouts. ive had modest weight losses this past year (20 lbs.... down from 216 to 196), but it took just that... a year with amazing diet and still hitting the gym pretty hard. granted, i put on a ton of muscle, but im hoping crossfit is what ive been looking for to blast off these last 20 lbs (ok sorry, long post is long)

#4431451 - 01/16/10 11:42 AM Re: CrossFit [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

ok so i devised my own routine today because i dont have access to a real crossfit gym... tell me what u vets think of it

15 kipping pullups (hope to increase this as soon as i get the form down)
30 knuckle pushups
30 situps
30 second oblique planks on each side
30 air squats
30 box jumps (24 in)
sprint my ass off for 400 meters

repeat cycle 3x as fast as possible... it def worked me today, plus it was raining so i felt extra manly

i want to keep doing this routine until its really easy, also mixing in incline/decline pushups, dips, rope climbing/towel pull ups, jump rope, etc. also a few nights a week, i can access my apt gym and do shoulders (front/side raises, military press) to compensate for not having kettle balls, squats and good mornings (to compensate for dead lifts, cleans), bicep/tricep iso's, etc. this way i ensure a full body workout over the week. what do u guys think? i def feel like i worked way harder today than my usual 5 mile run at 7 mph

#4431600 - 01/16/10 01:32 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

dont repeat the same workout more than once every few months

here is a good one...

11-10-9-8....1 reps of Renegade Man Makers, 20 situps (real sit-ups). so do 11 RMM then 20 real situps, then 10 RMM and 20 situps, etc

here is a renegade man maker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwAW3g_750
try 30lb dumbbells. You can do this with very little space

Also, there are plenty of benchmark crossfit workouts that you can do at a regular gym. A lot of people think Cindy is boring, but its probably the one newbies try most often. That one is as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of 5 pullups (any kind), 10 pushups, 15 squats. Try to keep up a 1 round per minute pace.

Barbara is also one easy to do at a gym. It's 5 rounds of 20 pullups, 30 pushups, 40 situps, 50 squats, rest 3 minutes between rounds.

Jackie: row 1000m, 50x 45# thrusters, 30 pullups

the list of all the benchmark girl/hero workouts is here: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0

#4433510 - 01/17/10 03:39 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
ElementBabe Offline
Post Master Supreme

angie for the first time today (100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 abmat sit-ups, 100 air squats)

this has resulted in the most sore my lats and forearms have ever been in my life. some muscle in my armpit is sore too and i dont know what it is

#4433582 - 01/17/10 04:11 PM Re: CrossFit [Re: ElementBabe]
NateD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hugh_G_Rection
what im asking is for those of u who have been doing this for a while, do u feel that these workouts are all encompassing? its odd going from selectively isolating muscles on certain days to workout and doing basic endurance cardio, to these fast-paced, all-body workouts.

Yeah, it's definitely a new way of training for most people. But you have to remember that in Crossfit you're training for performance, not aesthetics. But the good thing about that is you become a lot more balanced than if you were still isolating. I have filled out way more than I ever did when I did the traditional stuff, which is really surprising to me. All the olympic and other compound lifts recruit pretty much everything, so you get the extra lung capacity and you build muscle proportionally. It's actually pretty amazing. For instance my back used to be lacking and it has filled out quite a bit. Lats too, and even upper chest (even though I seldom do bench or anything besides pushups.)

Some workouts are biased more towards legs or shoulders or arms, but if you follow the programming consistently you get a bit of everything. Sometimes cycles (they go in cycles of 3 days on, 1 day off) seem very leg-centric, shoulder-centric, or the like. But your muscles stay confused, every day is different, and it keeps it interesting. So you get to pretty much throw out the leg day/shoulder day/back day etc concept completely out. Which was a huge plus for me, because I was really tired of that. Plus I was a serial neglecter of various bodyparts, especially abs. No more of that!

Be careful about underestimating the workouts though, they're usually way harder than you think. Just yesterday I thought the workout was going to be easy but I got my ass kicked. We did:

30 tuck jumps
30 jumping pull-ups
30 KB swings(55#)
30 KTE
30 thrusters (#40) Dbs
30 wall balls
30 burpees

WAY harder than it looks.

Quote:
i will say this tho. the best shape i was ever in was HS when our football coach made us do plyometrics and medicine ball work 3 times a week. i feel a lot of this is very similar in the tempo and maybe that is what ive been lacking in my workouts.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same idea. Shorter, more intense workouts with compound lifts do wonders. I have lost a lot of weight too; it really strips fat off you. I lost about 20 lbs and 10% bodyfat in about 6 months or so of crossfit.

I say you get more into it. You'll not only feel like a badass (when you're not being humbled by a WOD) but you can feel more confident knowing you can do pretty much any workout that none of your friends would be able to do without puking their guts out. Plus it will make you WANT to get your diet in line so you won't cheat much. Ever since I started, I've always had a lot easier time of dieting.

Quote:
dont repeat the same workout more than once every few months

This is good advice. If you repeat a workout often, you get trained for that workout, and not general physical preparedness as CF teaches. The best way to go about it is to only repeat a workout once every couple months, and your time WILL get better. Plus as time goes by you get better at pushing yourself harder, upping the intensity that much more. And before you know it, you'll be a lot leaner, stronger, faster, than when you started.

this has resulted in the most sore my lats and forearms have ever been in my life. some muscle in my armpit is sore too and i dont know what it is

Shit dude, that's an awesome time. I have personally never managed to get below 20 minutes for Angie. My arms always go dead in the middle of the pushups.

Page 10 of 35 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads