Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8717152 - 07/07/16 09:24 AM Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore?
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Looking for a Senior Tech at our security company. We have had many interviews and even hired some people but had to let them go after a few weeks for bad attitude, pathetic work productivity and just general lack of knowledge. Why is it so hard to find a motivated person with decent knowledge of electronics and willing to work hard? Maybe this industry isn't "cool" enough because you can't blog or code all day \:\)
#8717192 - 07/07/16 09:54 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Because millenials. \:D
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8717205 - 07/07/16 10:00 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: hyper-s2k]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I hate to say it, but its not just manual labour with millennials. Man they have such a poor attitude, work ethic and a feeling of entitlement.

Did our seniors think this way of us when we entered the workforce? I wouldn't be surprised if they did. It probably happens with every generation.

#8717207 - 07/07/16 10:01 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Of course that is a generalization and doesn't apply to all
#8717213 - 07/07/16 10:04 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: hyper-s2k]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k

spot

on

#8717215 - 07/07/16 10:05 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
I hate to say it, but its not just manual labour with millennials. Man they have such a poor attitude, work ethic and a feeling of entitlement.

Did our seniors think this way of us when we entered the workforce? I wouldn't be surprised if they did. It probably happens with every generation.

Last good guy we had started to hint that he didn't really want to pull wire or do grunt work anymore after 8 months on the job, and thought he should be in the office programming and doing something that suited him more lol

ok there buddy

#8717239 - 07/07/16 10:18 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: hyper-s2k]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada

pot/kettle/n-word

#8717241 - 07/07/16 10:19 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz
Looking for a Senior Tech at our security company. We have had many interviews and even hired some people but had to let them go after a few weeks for bad attitude, pathetic work productivity and just general lack of knowledge. Why is it so hard to find a motivated person with decent knowledge of electronics and willing to work hard? Maybe this industry isn't "cool" enough because you can't blog or code all day \:\)

what's the pay?

#8717254 - 07/07/16 10:25 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper

what's the pay?

it's competitive in the industry, but normally talked about during an interview to see if you fit the criteria first

#8717260 - 07/07/16 10:28 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

spot

on

Aren't "we" technically millenials?

It's just kids in general, physical labour is so 1900's

#8717270 - 07/07/16 10:32 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Rental Business

spot

on

how are kids going to code and do office jobs if they don't have the construction crews to build the offices and the technicians wire the outlets and the network guys setup the switches etc \:\)

#8717289 - 07/07/16 10:43 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
hire mexicans

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8717291 - 07/07/16 10:45 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
hire mexicans

know any? \:D

#8717303 - 07/07/16 10:52 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
hire mexicans

hat0r is one actually

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8717358 - 07/07/16 11:16 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Rental Business

spot

on

Depends on your year of birth I guess. \:\) I think Loudsubz's reply afterwards painted the picture of what I was eluding to.

It's just the new "wave" of the young work force have a sense of entitlement and none of the grit - thinking that they can just job hop and move up (with no merit).

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

From what I recall from one of those emotional intelligence workshops that they make us take, the seniors (baby boomers) are more rigid and stick to the rules; their gripe with the "younger" gen at the time (us = gen x) is that we don't conform to rules and think outside of the box to move up the corporate ladder.

Now with gen y / millennials rolling in - we (the "seniors" now) - have to deal w/ their entitlement crap and make work more "fun" to keep their interests.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8717403 - 07/07/16 11:42 AM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
hire mexicans

sup

#8717463 - 07/07/16 12:08 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8717493 - 07/07/16 12:27 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Risky Business]
Post Master Supreme

how many of us here work in non manual labour/blue collar jobs?
#8717550 - 07/07/16 12:59 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There

c2k turned from blue to white collar but he still acts like a badass blue collar liberal hater though

#8717740 - 07/07/16 03:17 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: iamfob]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I just finished taking down 4 dead trees with my chain saw, and cutting off all the branches, then cutting them up for campfire kindling. Gotta balance out the box drawing with some real manual labour.
I'll split them later with an axe when they dry out a bit more. Find me one millenial who will do that.

Oh, network guys don't configure switches, the intermediates prep the config and the schleps paste it in. The real network guys just draw boxes

#8717819 - 07/07/16 04:24 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
I just finished taking down 4 dead trees with my chain saw, and cutting off all the branches, then cutting them up for campfire kindling. Gotta balance out the box drawing with some real manual labour.
I'll split them later with an axe when they dry out a bit more. Find me one millenial who will do that.

Oh, network guys don't configure switches, the intermediates prep the config and the schleps paste it in. The real network guys just draw boxes

find me a millennial with a home (or cottage) requiring that kind of maintenance and I'll find you a millennial who'll do that, surely you did that out of necessity/needs not for the love of cutting up wood.

what's with the hate on millennials in here?

#8717871 - 07/07/16 05:29 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know

Right here

I make the drugs you take at pharmacies lol

#8717876 - 07/07/16 05:32 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: civic13]
SiZ Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Longdon, Ontario
I like manual labor. \:\)

#8717896 - 07/07/16 05:44 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

I do. I make sure everyone is wearing their PPE, doesn't die or get hurt, render FA if they do until our Fire Dept or city EMTs show up, basically a babysitter lol.

My bro-in-law is an Electrian with ES Fox and he's sitting on his ass at home for months on end. If a job isn't 9-5, indoors and in a clean/dry location, he wont take it.

#8718057 - 07/07/16 09:09 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A

spot

on

x A BAJILLLION

#8718070 - 07/07/16 09:17 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: Euphoricuck
hire mexicans

sup

jon. seriously. you would be a great tech > senior tech > tech manager in this field but you have to love it. you have the brains.

this industry (and many 'labour intensive' ones) need people who actually love what they do. many just do it for the pay check cuz its 'easy enough' until they realize it's not that easy.

#8718084 - 07/07/16 09:24 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I don't mind manual labour and I've done it growing up to a degree but I'm done with it now (for pay). Don't mind riling up my sleeves though. Nothing wrong with it though I know a lot of people that do quite well as blue collar people. Some people just aren't cut out for it.

#8718171 - 07/07/16 10:28 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

this industry (and many 'labour intensive' ones) need people who actually love what they do. many just do it for the pay check cuz its 'easy enough' until they realize it's not that easy.

for a second i thought you were talking about racing because that sounds so fucking familiar

#8718922 - 07/08/16 12:06 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck

find me a millennial with a home (or cottage) requiring that kind of maintenance and I'll find you a millennial who'll do that, surely you did that out of necessity/needs not for the love of cutting up wood.

#8718934 - 07/08/16 12:10 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Wildout]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Millennial's are to sheltered. They won't get dirty or even know how to get dirty.
#8718937 - 07/08/16 12:13 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

hire mexicans

sup

jon. seriously. you would be a great tech > senior tech > tech manager in this field but you have to love it. you have the brains.

may as well install a punch clock at our office for some of the new guys...thats how serious they take their jobs \:\)

#8718945 - 07/08/16 12:18 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

hire mexicans

sup

may as well install a punch clock at our office for some of the new guys...thats how serious they take their jobs \:\)

That has been/is the reality for 90% of workers since forever.

#8719056 - 07/08/16 01:05 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: OracerO]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: OracerO
Millennial's are to sheltered. They won't get dirty or even know how to get dirty.

To be fair though: we've been brainwashed by society and our parents that manual labor is beneath us. I don't do ANY manual labor except undocking my laptop and inserting it into my backpack before I go home.

However, the guy washing my office windows a few months ago was a Millenial.

Edited by Just A Troll (07/08/16 01:09 PM)

#8719122 - 07/08/16 01:51 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: Just A Troll]
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll

To be fair though: we've been brainwashed by society and our parents that manual labor is beneath us. I don't do ANY manual labor except undocking my laptop and inserting it into my backpack before I go home.

i see a lot of landscapers that would fall into the millennials group as well.

i think it's just this group seems to think that millennials are this mythical entitled group.

let's be real, from the age perspective, many of us (in this thread) falls into the millennials/digital native generation, but we seem to think we've done our time so it's okay for us to not be in a blue collar/manual labour market.

and it's not that we're taught that manual labour is beneath us, but we're told and can see that the knowledge economy has a lot more potential and that you're not taking moon shots drilling holes in the ground or snaking a pipe.

#8719730 - 07/08/16 10:57 PM Re: Does nobody want to do manual labor anymore? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll

i see a lot of landscapers that would fall into the millennials group as well.

i think it's just this group seems to think that millennials are this mythical entitled group.

let's be real, from the age perspective, many of us (in this thread) falls into the millennials/digital native generation, but we seem to think we've done our time so it's okay for us to not be in a blue collar/manual labour market.

and it's not that we're taught that manual labour is beneath us, but we're told and can see that the knowledge economy has a lot more potential and that you're not taking moon shots drilling holes in the ground or snaking a pipe.

??? whaaaaa?

I'm still doing my grind on a daily, but working inside as well to keep everything running like clock work. I still work late on site when a customer needs something done THAT DAY, while the rest of the techs go home to their nice warm dinner \:\)

I don't think I will ever give up the love for manual labour. Like Risky I love everything that comes from my blood sweat and tears. I wouldn't have it any other way. My biggest pet peeve is when people tell me "Yeah I redid my kitchen" or "We finished our basement" and talk all big like they did it themselves when in reality the only work they did was pick up the phone and pulled out their wallet \:\)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads