Page 8 of 16 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#9039508 - 05/25/17 09:21 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SiRice]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
 Originally Posted By: SiRice
From what I've seen Scott's Turf Builder Max has the highest amount of iron of the bags I've checked at 5%. Milorganite is listed at 2.5% so you would technically have to throw down twice the amount of Milorganite to achieve the same dosage as Turf Builider.

That being said Milorganite loads the soil with a better slow release nitrogen that won't burn the lawn and throws down a lot of great food to help other organic matter grow in your soil and has a better type of iron that is more easily consumed by the grass.

Does Milorganite stain at all as some reviews of the Scotts Turf Builder Max said it satined their driveway/walkway.

#9039514 - 05/25/17 09:27 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SiRice]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
From what I've seen Scott's Turf Builder Max has the highest amount of iron of the bags I've checked at 5%. Milorganite is listed at 2.5% so you would technically have to throw down twice the amount of Milorganite to achieve the same dosage as Turf Builider.

That being said Milorganite loads the soil with a better slow release nitrogen that won't burn the lawn and throws down a lot of great food to help other organic matter grow in your soil and has a better type of iron that is more easily consumed by the grass.

I keep hearing about Milorganite, but I was under the impression it's US only... I'll pick up some turf builder on the way home, thanks!

#9039515 - 05/25/17 09:27 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: civic13

Does Milorganite stain at all as some reviews of the Scotts Turf Builder Max said it satined their driveway/walkway.

From what I've read, it's idiot proof. Doesn't burn, doesn't stain, can go on the lawn, garden, etc

#9039568 - 05/25/17 09:54 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: markw]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham
 Originally Posted By: markw

I keep hearing about Milorganite, but I was under the impression it's US only... I'll pick up some turf builder on the way home, thanks!

It is only available in the States but next time I swing down I'm buying myself a few bags, that and concentrated pre emergents to take care of the weeds the lazy way.

#9039575 - 05/25/17 10:01 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SiRice]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

It is only available in the States but next time I swing down I'm buying myself a few bags, that and concentrated pre emergents to take care of the weeds the lazy way.

Damn, scotts it is! I've got a few jugs of the US weed stuff, used it last year and killed off most of the weeds, this year I've been pulling as I see them; hasn't been bad... not one weed on the lawn currently

#9040416 - 05/26/17 04:43 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: civic13

Milorganite doesn't stain. I stopped using Scotts Max Green because of the yo-yo effect. Put it down grass looks really green, 3 weeks later back to normal, put more down looks great & then 3 weeks later back to normal. Pretty much synthetic fertilizers only feed the blade so as soon as you cut it, you're moneys gone...whereas Milorganite feeds the soil.

Milorganite used to be local that's when I stocked up, but last year they banned it. I grabbed the last stock at my local Rona. Now gotta head to the states for it.

#9042673 - 05/28/17 06:47 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
All the effort is paying off.

Last year. First spring in new house.

Today after a fresh mow.

#9042718 - 05/28/17 08:28 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

wow, great work.

deets...

#9042742 - 05/28/17 10:00 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Fuck, weed is destroying my driveway. I have 5 going right thRough the goddamn asphalt. How to kill em?
#9042819 - 05/29/17 07:50 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
wow, great work.

deets...

+1

#9042824 - 05/29/17 08:16 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Looks awesome, Tasty!

One thing I'm going to try this fall is to rent a slit seeder. The last 2 springs, I've re-seeded and top dressed with triple mix with mixed results. Peat moss seemed to have helped in a few areas, but growth is sporadic. The slit seeder puts the seeds directly into the soil, so it should help with keeping the seeds more moist.

#9042826 - 05/29/17 08:20 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Thanks guys,

No real technique on my part. All of last year it looked like crap, I seeded and watered but didn't do any fall prep. This year I raked up all the pine needles (have a blue spruce in the front). Raked more and tried to dig up the ground doing so after a rainfall. Threw down a few bags of black soil mixture, used the coated seeds and grass nutrients just before another rainfall and then a week or so later dropped more grass seed (but the cheaper stuff this time).

Adding the soil + all the rain really helped (and a shit load of grass seeds) as you can see by the first pic the ground was pretty dry and hard. Going forward I'm going to keep the mower at the second to highest settings, I think I was cutting the grass too short last year and will leave the trimmings there instead of bagging it until the grass really gets root.

#9042858 - 05/29/17 09:59 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Denis Si]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: Denis Si
Fuck, weed is destroying my driveway. I have 5 going right thRough the goddamn asphalt. How to kill em?

Boiling water + vinegar.

#9042872 - 05/29/17 10:34 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
Looking good! Proper mowing height is so important and a minor detail practically everybody overlooks.

My lawn is still looking great. I made the mistake of not putting any pre-emergent down thinking I would need to do some seeding in the spring. Everything filled in so thick and lush that I didn't need to seed and am now battling a small crabgrass issue. I'll have to do the weed B gon on it now. Also got a bit of fungus in the front. Byproduct of a thick lawn that has remained very moist all spring. Threw down a fungicide already, I'm happy now that I picked up in the US. Got it just in case.

#9043014 - 05/29/17 01:29 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

^^^ my neighbour did this for 3 years straight until he finally asked me why his lawn keeps dying. I told him to stop mowing on the lowest setting.
#9043046 - 05/29/17 02:57 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: xza8]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: xza8
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si

Boiling water + vinegar.

+ salt ?

#9043158 - 05/29/17 06:57 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Wildout
^^^ my neighbour did this for 3 years straight until he finally asked me why his lawn keeps dying. I told him to stop mowing on the lowest setting.

They think they're turning their lawn into a fairway at the golf course. Not the same grass folks.

#9043370 - 05/30/17 07:03 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I've been guilty of that as well, shorter = more better!

My front lawn is like concrete, I'm honestly thinking of sodding the entire thing. 2-3in of topsoil + sod and we're done.

#9043382 - 05/30/17 07:23 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
Today after a fresh mow.

#9043383 - 05/30/17 07:25 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Fucking neighbours look like farm fields with the fucking foot-high dandelions all around me.

My backyard looks like shit -- fucking moss growing in some shadier areas...

Picked up some Weed B Gon and will spray that shit all over to see if it helps. (I also have a massive 4L or so jug of Round Up ... didn't realize there's a fucking diff between ALL-KILLER vs Weed Killers .. \:\| )

Edited by furball (05/30/17 07:25 AM)

#9043384 - 05/30/17 07:29 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: furball
Fucking neighbours look like farm fields with the fucking foot-high dandelions all around me.

My backyard looks like shit -- fucking moss growing in some shadier areas...

Picked up some Weed B Gon and will spray that shit all over to see if it helps. (I also have a massive 4L or so jug of Round Up ... didn't realize there's a fucking diff between ALL-KILLER vs Weed Killers .. \:\| )

You can kill moss with dawn dish soap and water. It won't fix the condition causing it though so it'll likely return.

#9043438 - 05/30/17 08:37 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

Speaking of fertilizers, how does Milorganite compare to Magic Carpet?
#9043717 - 05/30/17 12:26 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I've been guilty of that as well, shorter = more better!

My front lawn is like concrete, I'm honestly thinking of sodding the entire thing. 2-3in of topsoil + sod and we're done.

Water with baby shampoo ;\)

It'll be all soft after

#9043808 - 05/30/17 01:19 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Cutting short looks much cleaner/tidier.
#9043862 - 05/30/17 01:57 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Does everyone leave their grass clippings on the ground? Anyone bag them? I think a problem I had a few years back was I would leave them on the ground but I was cutting the grass short (and not often enough) which was resulting in longer clippings which in turn were doing more harm than good. I think the clippings were drowning out the rest of the grass.
#9043893 - 05/30/17 02:18 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
Does everyone leave their grass clippings on the ground? Anyone bag them? I think a problem I had a few years back was I would leave them on the ground but I was cutting the grass short (and not often enough) which was resulting in longer clippings which in turn were doing more harm than good. I think the clippings were drowning out the rest of the grass.

I cut at the highest setting, and I leave them on the ground. It's fine unless I miss a day and it starts to get long.. then I'd prefer to bag it.... But durham won't take grass in brown bags. I've got 3 in my garage now that they kicked holes into (to see whats in there), left a sticker on the bag, and left it at the end of my driveway.

#9043919 - 05/30/17 02:28 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: markw]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Yea I know mow at the second highest setting, but if i don't do it on time it gets long. I bag it and throw other yard wasted on top. Not sure how thats going to play out in Toronto. In Markham it was great. NEVER had a problem with grass in the brown bags (even then i put yard waste ontop)

I'm pretty sure nowhere in the province can you bag (yard, garbage etc) your grass

Kicking holes in the bags? Clever but \:\(

#9043982 - 05/30/17 03:05 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

You can brown bag grass clippings in vaughan and maybe a few other places?

Not in durham tho.. came as a shocker the first time i saw that.

#9043993 - 05/30/17 03:10 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Peel doesn't accept them either.

I'm not sure if they actually check though.

#9044026 - 05/30/17 03:29 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
You guys can bag grass clippings and put them at the curb?

#9044113 - 05/30/17 04:46 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I bag the first couple of mowes & then mulch the rest of the year.

I've brown bagged my clippings since 2010 & so far they've taken them. (Durham)

Watch now that I've said that, they won't take it tomorrow.

#9044147 - 05/30/17 05:06 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
ya in vaughan i brown bag the grass, what do you do with it then Bill?

#9044210 - 05/30/17 06:06 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
Speaking of fertilizers, how does Milorganite compare to Magic Carpet?

Never tried Magic Carpet. Reason I like Milorganite is it's organic and has iron in it.

#9044214 - 05/30/17 06:08 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

For mowing height you want to be cutting off the top third of the blade and mulching (leave it on the ground). The grass clippings themselves have stored nitrogen in them so it's like recycling your fertilizer. If you let it get too long and then chop it too short you can introduce all kinds of issues.
#9044386 - 05/30/17 09:45 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
#doyouevenmulchbro

my guys won't pickup grass clippings so mulch is only option for me.

Looking fresh T! I learned about now height the hard way too.

Need that US stuff so I can get rid of the crab and weeds meh

Page 8 of 16 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads