Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#7641199 - 04/10/14 12:06 AM Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe?
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
1-hr maintenance workout

100yd warmup
200yd warmup
6x50 on :50
6x75 on 1:15
6x100 on 1:40
Kick drill (100)
Breathing drill (200)
4x100 IM on 2 mins
200 free warmdown
100 warmdown

Basic get wet move around chill in one of the slower lanes comeatmebro workout \:\)
Right around 2400 meters

I'm guessing this thread won't be very popular ;\)

#7641206 - 04/10/14 12:21 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I always just got in and swam. Worked fine, but then I started doing 500's with like a minute rest and actually got a little faster. Haven't been in the pool since last August. \:\( My kids are on a team at our new fancy above ground pool though.

#7641207 - 04/10/14 12:23 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah I was looking at some tri workouts they go like this

Warmup
Swim 1000
Warmdown
Get out

#7641632 - 04/10/14 11:00 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I think just getting in and doing the motions is all that's needed. At least while training short to moderate distances, for us newbies.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7641710 - 04/10/14 11:31 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Design]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I tried some swimming last year. I couldn't get the timing right with my breathing. I swear water kept rushing into my noise unless I was constantly exhaling. I can swim with head above water without much issue, but obviously it's not efficient and my neck gets sore.

#7641752 - 04/10/14 11:59 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Impulsive]
McCavityCat Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
Mine usually consists of 5-15 bud lights or twisted teas. followed by 30mph whips outside the wake on a tube/wakeboard and then recovery swim from however far away i end up.

/prettyshrededbro

#7641758 - 04/10/14 12:04 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
I think just getting in and doing the motions is all that's needed. At least while training short to moderate distances, for us newbies.

I suppose but I feel obligated to put in a good effort on the swim because I ain't passing anybody on the bike [alright.... MAYBE somebody will flat lol] and sure as shit won't be passing anyone on the run

My only chance to get up somewhere decent in the rankings is on the swim leg for sure. So I feel like I have to at least train to my strengths. In other words---the opposite of what everybody recommends. If I listened to them I'd just drop everything and work on running.

#7641770 - 04/10/14 12:10 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I should probably let Chris weigh in since he's actually done one. But I'm told the swim is so short that unless you're a snail it won't make much difference. Seems the transition areas and the run are the biggest opportunities.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7641837 - 04/10/14 12:45 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

this is true, and why I can secretly do like a ~90% effort [while everybody else is just cruising] there and probably come in top 10 lol and then have the entire field pass me on the bike. I'm good with that. Elbows will be thrown on the first buoy My first one [since college] is in 10 days. I am going to redline that swim lol. I'm sure it's a much better race strategy to simply find someone on your pace and stick on his feet and cruise like everybody else.

#7642113 - 04/10/14 02:17 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

The fact that 99% of triathletes get into the sport with very little, if no structured swim background, that leg basically just becomes a matter of survival. Add in the fact that once they do take lessons, it can take years for them to get proficient enough to be at all competitive in the swim. Meanwhile they can run and bike every day with no real technical know-how and see their times come down by 10's of minutes.

Here's an example. At Ironman Arizona 2 years ago, I swam my fastest IM swim ever with a 1:06 which put me in the top 10% of the entire field. My buddy Joe is not a swimmer (but trains 4 days a week) and came out of the water in 1:40. We're similar on the bike so he put no time in me there, but finally caught me on the run at mile 17 and ended up beating me by almost an hour.

#7642198 - 04/10/14 03:08 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Holy crap.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7642225 - 04/10/14 03:17 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Impulsive]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Im not sure id say 99%.
All the good tri guys I know spent some time in a proper swim program. And I dont mean a few weeks.
Though i guess that number could be up there for weekend warrior/masters types.

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
. I swear water kept rushing into my noise unless I was constantly exhaling.
you should be exhaling between breaths....

#7642249 - 04/10/14 03:26 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Key word constantly.

The minute I didn't need to exhale, I'd snort in some water even if breathing was neutral.

#7642375 - 04/10/14 04:52 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Impulsive]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Body composition
#7642388 - 04/10/14 05:12 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
Im not sure id say 99%.
All the good tri guys I know spent some time in a proper swim program. And I dont mean a few weeks.
Though i guess that number could be up there for weekend warrior/masters types.

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
. I swear water kept rushing into my noise unless I was constantly exhaling.
you should be exhaling between breaths....

Yeah, I'm talking about people just getting into the sport at a later age...which makes up a very very large portion of any given Tri. You can look at results from any race and see that the number of competitors in the 35-39 or older age groups are usually twice as big as the 25 and under. I think that's mostly because those would be college aged kids and they will be focused on one sport.

My point is that anybody can go out and run or ride a bike. Proper freestyle form doesn't seem to come naturally to most people...and the older you are, the harder it comes. Open water mass starts also cause the most anxiety for newbies, so that's another hurdle that's isn't easy to overcome.

I've yet to meet a decently fast swimmer at a Tri that didn't have some kind of youth organized swim experience.

#7642389 - 04/10/14 05:14 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: It's Art]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Artomantium
Body composition

Actually....more body fat is helpful to swimming efficiently and quickly. What dat float do? \:D

I'm pretty sure my swim times slowed down as I lost most of my excess body fat....on the same amount of training. I had to up my time in the pool to get that speed back.

#7642439 - 04/10/14 06:19 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I wonder if art could go sub 50 seconds in a 50, guessing no

#7642514 - 04/10/14 07:14 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: stickaz
I wonder if art could go sub 50 seconds in a 50, guessing no
anything you can do I can do better

#7643028 - 04/11/14 07:04 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Body composition

Actually....more body fat is helpful to swimming efficiently and quickly. What dat float do? \:D

I'm pretty sure my swim times slowed down as I lost most of my excess body fat....on the same amount of training. I had to up my time in the pool to get that speed back.

anyone who is fast is generally carrying minimal fat. :p

#7643100 - 04/11/14 08:24 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

Nah bro, all Olympic swimmers are chubby
#7643237 - 04/11/14 09:29 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: It's Art]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Again...not talking about elite swimmers here guys. The topic at hand is about average joe schmo's getting into triathlon as adults. I'm talking about newbies who are still learning proper technique. I've seen it first hand. People that are more buoyant have an easier time with body positioning. Like I said, that doesn't make you fast, but it does help tremendously. Eventually you have to use physical strength and endurance to get faster.
Edit: you'll also see it at many masters swim groups. I used to swim alongside one and would regularily see guys with bellies way bigger than mine who would pass me like I was standing still. I'm willing to bet it was their years swimming competitively as kids in HS and college that developed that speed...not necessarily their current body composition. ;\) Look at Stickaz for example. (No offense to him at all.)

Also, take a look at a lot of the top distance open water swimmers.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (04/11/14 09:48 AM)

#7643538 - 04/11/14 11:44 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I dunno I think we're confusing an un-related property for some type of benefit. I've competed in swimming anywhere from like 8% BF (college/NCAA) to whatever I was a couple years ago (20s heh) and the only difference is slowing down, the 'do u even lift bro' guys that complain about swimming all have similar stroke deficits but were chasing the symptom for the cause. They always fail to glide or at least not have each additional stroke function as some kind of brake whe it enters the water, don't properly capture the water, rotate, and raise the hips properly. I always see some peculiar body angle with dropped hips. But it all starts with failure to basically 'catch' the water properly. Normally they are pushing down or something weird at the beginning of the stroke--easy to see underwater. I have no idea how to help them fix it. If they want to believe its their magic lean muscle mass that means they can't use proper form, who am I to argue. I see a lot of strange attitudes such as (bro? Do u know how much I can lift?) rather than trying to work on technique like everyone else does regardless of how advanced they might already be.

Some people get fat. Some swimmers get fat. That doesn't mean that because some swimmers get fat that being fat makes you fast(ER) just because it surprises people that in any other sport it REALLY slows you down, just not so much in swimming.

#7643689 - 04/11/14 12:56 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I agree...my original comment was just to contradict Arts statement that body composition had everything to do with it.

The guy Im running with in this picture came to triathlon from a weightlifting background. He's the one I mentioned above about beating in the swim portion. All indications (both visual and performance wise) would indicate he should be faster than me. His technique isn't horrible, but he gets really tired during the swim portion of an IM tri. He acknowledges his lack of skills, but is one of those guys that say he sinks like a rock. We followed very similar pool training plans for the 2 IM's we've done together.

#7643711 - 04/11/14 01:04 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

And this is my kids coach. He swam at Stanford and has the 5th fastest solo Catalina crossing time (just set a few years ago). He's obviously not 10% BF. \:\)

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (04/11/14 01:06 PM)

#7643839 - 04/11/14 02:00 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
It's Art Offline
Bitch of the Deer
Post Master Supreme

You realize I just said "body composition" to be a dick because stickaz is fat, right?
#7643844 - 04/11/14 02:02 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: It's Art]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

You realize I just said "body composition" to be a dick because stickaz is fat, right?

Nope.

#7643877 - 04/11/14 02:12 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

you are preaching to the choir in some respects. No one here is suggesting people with extra weight cant swim.

people with extra fat can do all kinds of sports quite well... thats not the point. Most power lifters and strong men are fat(theres a legit advantage in a lot of cases to be that way for those events)

I was just pointing out that... although fat may help you float to some degree its generally meaningless at making you faster.
An open water/distance guy may benefit from slightly higher bf percentage, due to colder water and possibly digging into more energy stores(depending on distance)...but for most people the lighter you are for your given strength/size the faster you are.

Most masters types suffer from typical aging,bad lifestyle choices that took years to accumulate. They may have a swim background so the technique and mechanics go well beyond those extra pounds they have acquired. So they rock it in the water against skinnier people. its not because fat is advantageous to them. its because they know how to swim. lol

Get those masters guys eating well, and spending the same amount years undoing what they did to themselves and they will all have considerably less bf and will only continue to get faster.

*edit those massive pictures mang. :p

#7660009 - 04/22/14 02:50 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NorCal
Yeah I was looking at some tri workouts they go like this

Warmup
Swim 1000
Warmdown
Get out

This was my workout today, lol. I finally got access to a lap pool again, so I am hoping to get in 2-3x a week. I will post my progress to keep the thread alive. Today, I did 1000m in 20 minutes. Pretty decent for just getting back into the pool after 4 months off. The garmin 310XT didn't work in the pool as well as I had hoped. However, I bike to the pool and back home, so the multi sport mode works out really well.

Lap swimming according to the GPS. It recorded 1200m as 1.5mi.

#7660067 - 04/22/14 03:20 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Corytrade]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

awesome lol, I was considering doing that [GPS watch in the pool] some seem to use a pre-determined pool-lap size and detect a flip-turn or something/rapid acceleration and simply counting laps. Pretty darn accurate they say. Perhaps if you blow a flip-turn and barely touch it won't count the lap tho [dont do that then, duh]

thats totally a solid pace [2:00 100m], good job!

I'm working on my technique and particularly the freestyle kick at this point including underwater streamline/butterfly kick from the walls.Trying to improve my age-group 50 and 100m sprint speed \:\)
theres a new guy in my masters class thats a faster sprinter than me [in workouts, not sure about block start but probably] and it is annoying me greatly

I like the feeling of speed/sprint work mainly

I try to get in (2) masters swim classes/week and at least 1 if not 2 days surfing in/week. Not sure how much those last 2 contribute to anything though lol

#7660594 - 04/22/14 10:22 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

My 910xt works great in the pool. Open water is a little iffy, but is not too shabby. Here's my swim from IM Tahoe:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/387351722

#7660596 - 04/22/14 10:24 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Corytrade]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: Corytrade
The garmin 310XT didn't work in the pool as well as I had hoped. However, I bike to the pool and back home, so the multi sport mode works out really well.

How were you wearing the 310XT, on your wrist? Some people have reported drastically improved accuracy if you place it under your swim cap (assuming you're wearing one during training) than on your wrist.

#7661117 - 04/23/14 10:24 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: SJP0tato]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NorCal
awesome lol, I was considering doing that [GPS watch in the pool] some seem to use a pre-determined pool-lap size and detect a flip-turn or something/rapid acceleration and simply counting laps. Pretty darn accurate they say. Perhaps if you blow a flip-turn and barely touch it won't count the lap tho [dont do that then, duh]

thats totally a solid pace [2:00 100m], good job!

I'm working on my technique and particularly the freestyle kick at this point including underwater streamline/butterfly kick from the walls.Trying to improve my age-group 50 and 100m sprint speed \:\)
theres a new guy in my masters class thats a faster sprinter than me [in workouts, not sure about block start but probably] and it is annoying me greatly

I like the feeling of speed/sprint work mainly

I try to get in (2) masters swim classes/week and at least 1 if not 2 days surfing in/week. Not sure how much those last 2 contribute to anything though lol

Thanks, I actually am not too skilled in kick turns yet, so I wasn't doing them during this swim. They actually have a Master swim program where I am at. They post the workout board, and anyone can do them, but they are always equate to something like 3500m , I'm just not there yet. And if I could substitute swimming for surfing, I would as well, even with no benefit lol.

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
How were you wearing the 310XT, on your wrist? Some people have reported drastically improved accuracy if you place it under your swim cap (assuming you're wearing one during training) than on your wrist.

Yeah, I had it on my wrist. Don't have a swim cap, but I may need one just for the GPS.

#7661276 - 04/23/14 11:23 AM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: Corytrade]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yikes, 3500m is a bit rough. yea you'll have to work up to that ;\)
I do a ~2000m/1-hr 2x weekly thing lol [sprint focused]

to hang with most masters classes imo you need a couple of things:
a) baseline fitness. Something like being able to do a 10x100 set on 1:45 or something (meters). This is a hard set, ~90% effort. It's what every workout leads up to--the main set. If you can hang here you can hang everywhere
b) efficiency---streamline, flip-turns. Take advantage of all the free yardage!
c) kicking--see if you can improve your straight freestyle drill kick speed [yea, w/board]. should be able to do 50s on :50 or 1:00 [if not better--I am weak here]
d) have a legit 2nd stroke [fly/back/breast], have no huge weakness in any stroke. If there's a 8x100 IM set in there you should be able to hang

if a-d you're a life-long masters swimmer anywhere, imo

c and d are probably optionally or stick to a slower lane. if not [b] you're going to have a hard time

but there is no comparison between working out alone and in a group... none [if you want to be fast!]. I can't push myself at ALL alone. Perhaps this is why my biking has gone nowhere lol

#7670382 - 04/29/14 12:00 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

stumbled into a completely bullshit 'butterfly day' in my masters class last night.

I don't even... \:\|
2500 of mixed butterfly/drills/kicks \:\| \:\|
at least nothing was longer than 100... my stroke really breaks down after 2 laps. My theory is if your stroke/efficiency breaks down, you really need to stop. My college-aged coach disagrees. Yawn

I took it as an opportunity to work on my underwater butterfly kick

#7670487 - 04/29/14 12:43 PM Re: Swimmers ? Woo post a workout maybe? [Re: stickaz_old]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
Girlfriend's back was built by swimming, her butterfly is stupid good. http://instagram.com/p/nRj90YhUMM/

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads