Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8571338 - 02/28/16 11:57 PM this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome?
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
what's it like? How do you know if you arent just being a vagina?

the measure the waking HR thing? general feeling(s) of exhaustion?

Or maybe just having a shitty week? How to tell these apart lol cry

[I seem to be bouncing off of it at/around the ~12 hrs/week range of cardio with some hard stuff thrown in]

#8571361 - 02/29/16 12:57 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Probably just a crappy week. Maybe vary up the routine a bit or scale back intensity. See if things change.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8571369 - 02/29/16 01:42 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Design]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Overtraining is hard to do. Like REALLY hard. You probably aren't overtrained, in the classical definition of the term.

However, you can consistently over-exert yourself and need to dial it back or take some extended time off.

If you're really worried about it, morning HR is one way, but HR variability is the real way to tell. The more HR variability you have, the less overtrained you are. In this case, if your HR is like a metronome, that's actually a bad sign.

#8571371 - 02/29/16 01:56 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Silock]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool. I did a 8 miler at predicted half marathon pace friday on poor nutrition [hadnt eaten quite enough to that point in the day] and I got the following symptoms [after forcing myself to hang on to the pace at whatever price]:

a) hands shaking for a couple hours after
b) feelings of nausea, light headedness
c) general exhaustion, so I punted on everything this weekend just rested
d) basically I felt like I had broken myself somewhat

I want to agree that it's probably nothing but I'm noticing empirical workouts declining also. Like I nailed a 16 mile run about a month ago that I wouldn't be able to touch right now I am sure of it.

I can force myself to hit a certain goal pace, but the effort level is much higher than it used to be as recently as 4-6 weeks ago.

I did have bronchitis also about 2 weeks ago that I assumed I was fully recovered from. Maybe not I guess--that might explain it.

#8571388 - 02/29/16 05:08 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Dial back the training, get your nutrition and sleep back on point. That should resolve it.
#8571548 - 02/29/16 09:59 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I don't know, there are days I go running and I'm dying to make it a mile before walking. My legs are just done and my lungs seem to struggle. I can run 2000 stairs, but many days, my legs burn from a single flight since they are so tired.

If HR means anything, mine is pretty much pegged at 55-60 at all times. I just checked it after a bunch of coffee and it's 60.

In short, I have no idea.

#8571692 - 02/29/16 11:23 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I don't know, there are days I go running and I'm dying to make it a mile before walking. My legs are just done and my lungs seem to struggle. I can run 2000 stairs, but many days, my legs burn from a single flight since they are so tired.

If HR means anything, mine is pretty much pegged at 55-60 at all times. I just checked it after a bunch of coffee and it's 60.

In short, I have no idea.

I am similar to this, I think alcohol from the weekend puts me in a world of hurt during the week. Not so much where I am hungover, I feel fine but everything is sluggish. Sometimes it happens other times it doesn't. Hosted two parties back to back fri/sat and drank way more than I care to admit, still did 75km on the bike over the weekend, today I can barely function and feel frail as fuck.

#8571771 - 02/29/16 12:10 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

that sounds normal? my mondays after just a long-slow-run on sunday are usually fairly bad lol.

also forgot to add the other classic 'overtraining' symptom I had from friday night [fine, call it 'underperformance syndrome'] was I wasn't able to sleep that night. Went to bed exhausted at 10:30p or so, woke up at 2:30a, couldnt get to sleep again until 4:00a

not sure what do do with this week, I rested the weekend other than a decent surf on sunday, today I'll swim, also Wed, maybe will try a "recovery pace" 5k on tuesday to see how I feel.

Ugh.

I'm saying this is more than normal soreness/tiredness. I've been running ~30mpw and biking ~60mpw and swimming a couple hours a week for a long time now. Obviously this is nothing compared to a pro or even a successful age-grouper. BUT I've noticed fatigue has increased and performance has decreased beyond any normal weekly range I might otherwise have. I track everything lol. Perhaps it's just the untimely co-incidence of getting sick, pushing my boundaries a bit, and not eating enough and my body just cried 'Uncle'. Plus I'm not getting any younger lol.

If this is just the "over-extended" part of early overtraining syndrome, they say backing off for ~2 weeks should cure it.

#8571787 - 02/29/16 12:23 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I sometimes wonder if it's just age and life. I find I have less good days when running, but when biking, I'm pretty much the same no matter what (impact maybe).

I usually have a Monday morning hangover, but I play hockey Monday nights and despite feeling like ass all day, I'm on fire while playing and have legs for days. I also play on Saturdays and no matter what, I feel drained. Baffles me how I can consistently feel so different on different days.

I also seem to spend more time stretching and foam rolling then I'd like. I think having a sitting desk job does fuck with your body a bit.

#8571903 - 02/29/16 01:09 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I want a stand up desk, but we have a ton of empty cubicles that have them. All the actual offices are standard desks. I have a feeling they would just tell me to move to an empty cube.

#8572054 - 02/29/16 02:05 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I think OP over-exterted himself and forgot the importance of nutrition. 2 week seems like more time than is needed.

He should slow down on his non-fast running too.

#8572058 - 02/29/16 02:10 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Low T.

#8572064 - 02/29/16 02:14 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

not per my blood test from 3 weeks ago tho

#8572078 - 02/29/16 02:23 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I meant low t-cell. You got the AIDS man...sorry. \:\(

Just kidding. I have no idea. You're probably just getting a little burnt out. Take a week off and hit it again.

#8572869 - 03/01/16 09:14 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hemoglobin came in a little on the low side (13.9g/dL), anemia starts at 13.5 supposedly [ok range is 12.6-17.7]

Hematocrit 41.3% [37.5-51% is ok range] shows the same story

so checked my multivitamin last night: no iron

*goes to store for an iron supplement

**did masters swim last night, didn't feel terribly flat, but I intentionally stayed out of top gear

#8580513 - 03/07/16 05:55 PM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

feeling a little better. Have given up two-for workouts [2 things on the same day] and scaled back intensity tremendously [easy all of the things]
did 17 miles run, a single 30 min bike trainer session, and 3 hrs in the pool, all pretty easy. One easy dumbell session and I did pullups [3x10] on 2 separate days.
Yesterday I did a 10-mile run at like 9:05 pace and it felt pretty easy except my legs felt oddly heavy around mile 8 [I was underfueled for this as I dropped my cliff blox at like mile 1 without even taking the first one lol].

so maybe not bad for underfueled. The first 5-6 miles felt easy as fuck and I was going about 8:50 on a GAP basis

one more week of easy stuff and I think I'm back on track [??]

who knows. I want to get a blood test after 3 weeks of iron supplements and see what changed [if anything]

#8580820 - 03/08/16 08:44 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
I've heard on podcasts that low iron levels can have a huge effect on your training. I know from URP (www.ultrarunnerpodcast.com) the one co-host, Sarah Lavender-Smith had low iron and took supplements and it helped a lot. There was another elite ultra runner with the same issue that I can't remember off the top of my head. You might be onto something with adding in iron and giving it time to help.

Also, here's an article Sarah wrote about iron deficiency: http://trailrunnermag.com/component/cont...iron-deficiency

#8580979 - 03/08/16 10:16 AM Re: this is embarassing: Overtraining syndrome? [Re: Lividentity]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool. last night in the pool I had easy speed come out of seemingly nowhere lol.

did a warmup than a reverse ladder of 500/400/300/200/100 and held 1:20/100y pace for the 5/4/3 and then stepped it down to 1:15 for the 200 and 100 which is kinda ridiculous for me. I am normally captain fade on anything over a 200 haha. This one guy that normally keeps up with me was like "dude wtf are you on?" haha

My typical "workout" 500y would be 1:30 100y pace /moderate effort lol. Maybe a bit closer to 1:25. This is a huge difference. I was also pretty sore through my lats/shoulders from a pretty tough pullup set the day before so I had to modify my stroke so it wouldnt hurt [slows me down]

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads