Page 6 of 21 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#7179590 - 07/15/13 06:37 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

They are old shorts man...covered in paint and shit. I can't afford new clothes.
#7179602 - 07/15/13 06:41 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I just pity your taint if you're riding in underwear and shorts.

I went full roadie nerd last year and never looked back. It's faster (no parachute effect from shorts) and more comfortable.

There are deals on shorts out there, for sure.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7179611 - 07/15/13 06:48 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: gamby]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
This is the greatest noob thread of all time \:D ...and thus far with no flaming!
C'mon, someone bring some excitement!!!

XD XD XD XD

#7179616 - 07/15/13 06:51 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
^^ How long have you been riding for?
#7179749 - 07/15/13 08:08 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
^^ How long have you been riding for?

"Serious" riding at over a decade at this point.
Used to compete...now I just ride for fun and fitness--hence the 1 gear bike instead of some carbon uber machine (though I do love those!) \:\)

XD XD XD XD

#7179847 - 07/15/13 08:56 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: Stable Business

Also, quick question about the upswing pedal (it's a new concept for me). Do you do that mostly upon acceleration/hills or you emphasize it during your entire ride? I focus on keeping a good movement going on regular roads, the upswing really helps on acceleration and hills only (for me anyway).

Your pedal stroke should mimic a circle and you should be trying to put power through the entire rotation at all times. It is tough to get the hang of and takes many rides and constant concentration of your stroke before it becomes second nature. You will become a lot more efficient if you can learn to power through the back stroke of the pedal rotation, will also strengthen up your hamstrings!

#7179869 - 07/15/13 09:10 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
ya thats not quite "recovery" lol

My pedal pressure was super low, there was no effort and I was just spinning around to circulate the blood. 90-100rpm are my usual recoveries.

#7179913 - 07/15/13 09:37 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Want to learn a proper pedal stroke?

Pedal with only one leg. It's ass-kickingly awesome.

#7179914 - 07/15/13 09:38 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: 355-Si
ya thats not quite "recovery" lol

My pedal pressure was super low, there was no effort and I was just spinning around to circulate the blood. 90-100rpm are my usual recoveries.

This man has it right \:D
I do similar for my recoveries...........except I have little choice in rpm and pedal effort. uhhhhhhh. I should say I *used* to do recoveries like you do!

XD XD XD XD

#7179915 - 07/15/13 09:39 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: ohio_82
Want to learn a proper pedal stroke?

Pedal with only one leg. It's ass-kickingly awesome.

Good advice. Or if you don't want to look funny, ride rollers. That'll sort out any kinks in your pedal stroke \:\)

XD XD XD XD

#7179970 - 07/15/13 10:11 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
i don't have a road bike but i'm learning a lot here. picked up a cheapo mountain bike recently to keep up with my daughter since she started 2 wheeling this year. i also learned you get a lot of bugs in your mouth and eyes, and that you need to build up to bike butt. i managed to get up to 33kph on the local speed radar :P.

do you guys feel safe on the road next to cars, especially with your shoes 'locked' in? here in markham, i don't trust anyone behind the wheel which is why i ride on sidewalks for the most part. i couldn't fathom doing 50+kph with cars beside you.

#7179987 - 07/15/13 10:17 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
curious as to your HR (in relation to max) was and how long that ride took?

#7180003 - 07/15/13 10:26 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4Three]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
That's why I ride in the country. Far less traffic to deal with, and many of the roads have very wide shoulders specifically for cyclists, like King St for example:

http://goo.gl/maps/0Ypj9

#7180059 - 07/15/13 11:10 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
curious as to your HR (in relation to max) was and how long that ride took?
119bpm, 19.8km/h.

#7180090 - 07/15/13 11:48 PM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: 4age
This is the greatest noob thread of all time \:D ...and thus far with no flaming!

No need to flame. Risky bought a beautiful bike--he might as well optimize the riding experience.

Point is, the "accepted" clothing and equipment are what they are because they simply work. I started out in skate shoes, toe clips and MTB shorts. Slowly, but surely, I morphed into the roadie geek that I used to think was silly.

Granted, I still look silly, but I give no fucks. Also, if I showed up at my TT tomorrow in skate shoes and MTB shorts, I'd look like the silly one.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7180135 - 07/16/13 01:35 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4Three]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: 4Three
i don't have a road bike but i'm learning a lot here. picked up a cheapo mountain bike recently to keep up with my daughter since she started 2 wheeling this year. i also learned you get a lot of bugs in your mouth and eyes, and that you need to build up to bike butt. i managed to get up to 33kph on the local speed radar :P.

do you guys feel safe on the road next to cars, especially with your shoes 'locked' in? here in markham, i don't trust anyone behind the wheel which is why i ride on sidewalks for the most part. i couldn't fathom doing 50+kph with cars beside you.

I don't trust Markham drivers either. Luckily where I ride isn't too busy around the major mac woodbine to warden and Stouffville rd.

I do a 20km loop and avg around 26kph but that's without any real hills lol. I HATE climbing and always have since I was a kid. Till this day I suck big dick when it comes to hills and don't intend on changing it.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7180202 - 07/16/13 06:59 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

I don't trust Markham drivers either. Luckily where I ride isn't too busy around the major mac woodbine to warden and Stouffville rd.

I do a 20km loop and avg around 26kph but that's without any real hills lol. I HATE climbing and always have since I was a kid. Till this day I suck big dick when it comes to hills and don't intend on changing it.

I made the mistake of riding west on hwy 7 during rush hour to Warden and it was sh!t. For the most part people give you a lot of room, but then there are those who want to screw with you and will blow by you really close even if you are as close to the curb as possible. Then I had some fob that was scared to come near me so they kept riding my ass while I was going 30ish...that bothers me a lot more because they slow down everyone behind them and I am considered the cause.

4three, you live in a perfect place for good rides, just go east of markham road and it's quiet, roads are perfect, etc. I just ride over to Pickering on hwy 7 and it's perfect. You get the odd 18 wheeler, but again people give you plenty of space. It sounds more dangerous that it really is.

#7180203 - 07/16/13 07:00 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4age

#7180205 - 07/16/13 07:01 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: robbbby]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: robbbby
 Originally Posted By: Stable Business

Also, quick question about the upswing pedal (it's a new concept for me). Do you do that mostly upon acceleration/hills or you emphasize it during your entire ride? I focus on keeping a good movement going on regular roads, the upswing really helps on acceleration and hills only (for me anyway).

Your pedal stroke should mimic a circle and you should be trying to put power through the entire rotation at all times. It is tough to get the hang of and takes many rides and constant concentration of your stroke before it becomes second nature. You will become a lot more efficient if you can learn to power through the back stroke of the pedal rotation, will also strengthen up your hamstrings!

Yes it does take concentration, I honestly have to remind myself every time. If i get a chance to go out today I will make it a point to keep it going as long as i can.

#7180227 - 07/16/13 07:32 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 355-Si]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

nice, those are more important details than overall rpm.

#7180277 - 07/16/13 08:05 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4Three]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham

After a while you get used to the cars and you don't notice. I couldn't imagine riding on the sidewalks with a road bike, I don't think my ass could take that kind of punishment.

#7180293 - 07/16/13 08:15 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: SiRice]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: SiRice

After a while you get used to the cars and you don't notice. I couldn't imagine riding on the sidewalks with a road bike, I don't think my ass could take that kind of punishment.

This.

No issues with traffic here--I ride yonge st downtown almost daily during weekdays.
I used to work by the airport and rode to work there on occasion as well....oh and pickering too (all from north york). Riding in Markham traffic is no big deal to me either--but I prefer downtown traffic to Markham. Higher volume of vehicle congestion makes for more fun \:D As SiRice noted, you do get used to it. I try to stay away from going up north where there are *no cars* just because it's boring and I'd then turn my brain off. That's totally fine when with a group, but when alone, I prefer something that'll keep my alert \:\)

And when Hatorade said "I always hated hills since I was a kid and I don't intend to change it", inbetween the lines it says "I'm the biggest wussy" \:D

EDIT: Oh and riding sidewalks is straight up dangerous. Not only is it no longer legal if you arent on a kids bike (IIRC the law was 24inch wheels or smaller), but cars dont expect you rolling up swiftly on the sidewalk, and most drivers ignore checking sidewalks for bikes as they back out/drive out of a driveway or parking lot entrance...not to mention, people turning right or left from intersections may simply not have looked out for something on wheels on the sidewalk.

Edited by 4age (07/16/13 08:17 AM)

XD XD XD XD

#7180315 - 07/16/13 08:33 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: SiRice]
sivam Offline

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-...QAdIdZ504062340

do it

#7180325 - 07/16/13 08:40 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: sivam]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I am 6' and 205 lbs, the same seller told me I need XL.
#7180355 - 07/16/13 08:56 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

^^ large

#7180366 - 07/16/13 09:01 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

He says it fits like medium?!?!
#7180383 - 07/16/13 09:13 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Ya dude, some clothes fit small.
I have some jersies that I actually require in size M...and i'm like, 145lbs.
Sooo yeah. XL might be true.

XD XD XD XD

#7180387 - 07/16/13 09:14 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Does size really matter with the shorts? That's all I really need.
#7180389 - 07/16/13 09:17 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Risky Business]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

FWIW i wear size M bottoms.
If you get bibs and they are too small, they will scrunch your nuts...bc the bibs will be under constant tension against your taint XD

XD XD XD XD

#7180417 - 07/16/13 09:35 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: 4age]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

he needs an xs for bottoms.

anyways like most clothing...diff manufacturers fit differently and ymmv.

#7180434 - 07/16/13 09:41 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

^^ Euphoric, when are you going to quit being an armchair cyclist and pick up a bike and join us
#7180437 - 07/16/13 09:43 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

\:o
#7180450 - 07/16/13 09:50 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

I sold my bike yrs ago . sorry cant afford a new (or used)one.peasant town over here. #forrealpeasant.
dont worry though id make you look silly .

#7180458 - 07/16/13 09:54 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

riiiiiiiight
#7180464 - 07/16/13 09:58 AM Re: Cyclists sign in! CSI Ride? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

I sold my bike yrs ago . sorry cant afford a new (or used)one.peasant town over here. #forrealpeasant.
dont worry though id make you look silly .

Page 6 of 21 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads