Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7261040 - 08/30/13 02:23 PM How do you handle your backups?
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Right now I just have 2 internal drives. Primary & backup. I've only experienced one hard drive failure wayback like 8 years ago.

I get I should have some sort of external preferably somewhere off site.

What do you have? Cloud? Fireproof safe? None?

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7261312 - 08/30/13 05:55 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
I upload a bunch of edited JPEG keepers to flickr.

But then, I also have duplicate folders one for each camera on one laptop and the desktop computer. I also have a NAS in RAID 1 that has all the pictures, raws and everything.

On top of that, I have two portable Western Digital hard drives, that I get out of the safe and back up pictures and things to whenever I think about it. One of the hard drives is 1tb and is used to backup the 1tb drive in the desktop PC.
The other portable drive is a 500gb model that I use to back up the 320gb drive in the laptop.

#7261990 - 08/31/13 01:38 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: ewraven]
GSParker
Unregistered

Right now, it's just a 1tb external drive partitioned for both of my laptop drives and is an exact duplicate of the drive.

I still have my old G5 with 1tb and 640gb drives in it...I should turn it into a backup solution.

#7262123 - 08/31/13 04:40 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

3 USB3 1TB external drives. Rotate backups, automatically setup with Time Machine.
#7265120 - 09/03/13 08:12 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Kierf]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
3.5TB RAID 5 Synology NAS that's backed up to a 1TB drive. Currently only have less than 1TB of data on the NAS so plenty of room for redundant backup for now.
#7265219 - 09/03/13 09:13 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Voltron]
MugenFreakSI Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NY USA
One OWC Guardian Maximus 3tb + 3tb Raid0 connected through FW800 where all of my images live and I edit from. I then Vault them out of Aperture and back that vault up to a external that is separate from the OWC. Everything has been backed up to Crashplan and is updated hourly with files that have been changed.

Crimson, how is Synology working for you? It really intrigues me. How are read/write speeds over your network?

#7265515 - 09/03/13 11:22 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: MugenFreakSI]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

I like the synology for the remote tools and ability to access my content via my phone or ipad whereever I have a wifi or cellular signal. I don't have any benchmarks for the read/write over the network, I do everything locally. It is slow, but a lot faster than the Drobo I had for a very short time.
#7267617 - 09/04/13 09:52 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Voltron]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
I am backing up 2013 (waited about 8 months too long to do this) right now.

All I have is a WD Elements 2TB USB hard drive besides internal storage on my PC and laptops. It has worked remarkably well so far, but there are some drawbacks from shooting RAW only and converting to DNG. Like not being able to see the images without opening adobe.

The 2TB external drive should be full after this morning. It's fairly easy to access but was slow as balls when I bought it 3 years ago. Transferring 300 gigs at ~15MB/s is a pain in the ass, and that's not much data these days.

Thinking about starting to shoot in RAW+JPEG so I can send the JPEG's straight to G+, flickr, etc. I have dropbox on every device but haven't used it out of sheer laziness.

CN: Not well.

#7267842 - 09/04/13 11:24 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: flyEX #1]
Sirbeefhead Offline
Clearly Stealing Corporate IP
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Massachusetts
crashplan.com
#7281877 - 09/12/13 07:11 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Sirbeefhead]
Skizzz Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: zombo.com
4 x 1Tb Nas, Raid 10
And best photos uploaded to minus.com at full resolution

#7285274 - 09/13/13 06:00 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Skizzz]
Macros83 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Raid + offsite backup (backblaze of all things) that monitors the folder RAW+J gets unloaded into.

The initial backup took a week or so at 35MB/s

I also switched from using larger cards in the camera (when using them) and spread the risk to multiple cards.

#7290920 - 09/17/13 08:03 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Macros83]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just had my 3 disk RAID 5 set experience drive failure, degrading the RAID set. I purchased a DX213 expansion device to mirror my DS1511 and 4 WD RED 2tb hard drives, created a RAID10 on the DS1511 and am moving the green drives (super inefficient) to the DX213 since it's only mirroring. I'll probably see if the one failed drive can be reused stand alone and use that as my video scratch drive.

Edited by crimson773 (09/17/13 08:03 AM)

#7295143 - 09/19/13 02:16 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Voltron]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Did you end up losing any data? The more and more I've done my research I'll probably end up with some sort of Synology.

I like the idea of beiing able to have access to my photos at anytime.

#7295938 - 09/19/13 11:51 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

No data loss. I pulled all of the data off of the external esata drive I used for backups of the NAS. Since I was swapping drive types, I had to have a way to get the OS on the new drive while maintaining the data. I still haven't cloned the files to the extension.
#7309475 - 09/27/13 12:51 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Sirbeefhead]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
 Originally Posted By: mrbeefhead
crashplan.com

That's pretty reasonable.

I didn't realize G+ allowed RAW until I saw this a minute ago:

http://petapixel.com/2013/09/26/google-unveils-improved-raw-jpeg-conversion-supports-70-cameras/

#7331645 - 10/11/13 06:26 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: flyEX #1]
Sirbeefhead Offline
Post Master Supreme

yeah, crashplan works well for me because I don't want a photo manager as my backup device. I don't want to use a flickr, or a smugmug, etc. as my backup. All I want is for my file to be saved offsite.

I also backup other files, etc. so going just the photo manager site as my backup tool wouldn't work. I have all my music up on crashplan too. In total it's around 1.5tb that I have backed up.

#7332034 - 10/11/13 10:23 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I've finally dialed in my workflow. It's a little goofy sometimes because I use Aperture, which makes one GIANT file for my library, so crashplan would be a bear to use.

-I shoot, the cards go back into the card wallet face down to indicate they've got data on them.
-On the road, I have two USB 3 1tb drives that I copy the files over to. They're labeled Onsite1 and Onsite2. I now have three copies of the originals. One in the car, One in my backpack, One on the card.
-At home, I'll import to the second hard drive of my laptop (SSD is the primary, 750gb 7200rpm drive resides in the optical drive bay), into a folder that is "Imports NEED to be copied to external"
-Once those raw files are copied over to my Drobo "Imports" folder, they get moved to "Imports HAVE been copied to external". They reside there until I need drive space or I'm done with the project and know I have enough copies of the files spread around.
-I create a new project in Aperture and import the raw files. This project is saved in "Projects NEED to be copied to external". I then edit and work through the project. When this project is done....
-I open up a 2013 library on another external drive. It's a FW800, 7200 rpm portable drive. The 2013 file is 500gb so far. I then import the standalone project into the annual library. The standalone project on the laptop is moved into "Projects HAVE been copied to external"
-I use Aperture's "Vault" feature to create a backup on the Drobo
-Weekly, I bring a Seagate Backup Plus 3tb drive in from my work office to my home office and use Super Duper to clone the 2013 library. I'm going to stop that this weekend and just run another Vault backup. That will do incremental backups and save time. It's easy to restore from a Vault backup, but not as easy as just opening the 2013 project on the drive. I use this Backup Plus drive because it has the dock, so I just drop the drive on it and then pull it off, don't have to worry about cables. It is a USB 3 dock, though I intend to get another drive with a Thunderbolt dock, and then just swap drives.

RAID alone is not sufficient for backup. It's great for a local backup but you still need something else in case the RAID array is damaged, which I've dealt with in the past.
I worry about relying solely on a service such as Crashplan, as much as I want to. Too many reports online of people losing their data and the service just shrugging their shoulders.

Edited by chef (10/11/13 10:25 AM)
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7332149 - 10/11/13 11:20 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: chef]
Sirbeefhead Offline
Post Master Supreme

Chef - you're right about backup redundancy. In addition to just an offsite I do need to figure out a drobo type local backup...
#7332338 - 10/11/13 12:37 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Sirbeefhead]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
fortunately i haven't lost anything permanently, but i've had enough scares between home and work stuff that i try to be very disciplined about following a procedure. Knowing the importance of that, i've worked out a system that can be slightly cumbersome but is actually pretty fluid and simple to use. That's the key, beyond just doing it, but making something that's easy enough to stick with. i bought all the pieces over the course of a year or so and now am pretty confident in it. and that's a damned good feeling
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7333130 - 10/11/13 10:02 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: chef]
jon! Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T3X@$
Various Drives but every photo goes to google + for extra backup and online viewing
#7366937 - 10/31/13 06:38 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: jon!]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Well it happened, main hard drive died FUCK!

I backed up this morning, but won't know for sure what I lost until I get everything back up & running.

#7367084 - 10/31/13 07:56 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

Losing a hard drive sucks. I lost 3 out of 2 hard drives about 5 years ago or so. 3 out of 2 because I had 2 new drives, both failed and one of the replacements failed as well. Fuck Seagate. It all happened within 5 months. I lost some good stuff with them. \:\(

What did you choose for your backup? This thread is 2 months old.

#7371477 - 11/03/13 08:10 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Kierf]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Update: I didn't end up losing anything thank goodness. I upgraded my main drive to a SSD thanks to Choc C he hooked me up.

As for backups I have my os/apps on the ssd. Working pics on the second drive which is then backed up to the third drive once I'm done. Then the third drive gets backed up to my external. Only issue is that I keep the external on top of my desk when I really should move it to another location.

Oh yeah, SSD boot times & app loading is snappy

#7371534 - 11/03/13 08:45 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Wildout
Update: I didn't end up losing anything thank goodness. I upgraded my main drive to a SSD thanks to Choc C he hooked me up.

As for backups I have my os/apps on the ssd. Working pics on the second drive which is then backed up to the third drive once I'm done. Then the third drive gets backed up to my external. Only issue is that I keep the external on top of my desk when I really should move it to another location.

Oh yeah, SSD boot times & app loading is snappy
Good thing for having backups!
Just be aware that SSDs tend to be a little less reliable.

#7371538 - 11/03/13 08:51 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Kierf]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Are you guys just doing a simple copy within Windows or using specific software that will do incrementals, etc? I'm still trying to find something for Win7 that's a bit better then me dragging and dropping gigs of data.

#7371562 - 11/03/13 09:05 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: LNXGUY]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Are you guys just doing a simple copy within Windows or using specific software that will do incrementals, etc? I'm still trying to find something for Win7 that's a bit better then me dragging and dropping gigs of data.

I use TimeMachine, which is part of OS X. Works well and is stupid simple.

For a Windows machine, I'd look into something like StorageCraft's ShadowProtect. It has a TON of features.
http://www.storagecraft.com/home-user.php

#7371763 - 11/04/13 06:31 AM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Kierf]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

I use time machine and then backup everything to my NAS after I'm done editing locally.
#7373387 - 11/04/13 07:31 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Voltron]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I drag & drop till I get a NAS & have it setup
#7379769 - 11/07/13 12:08 PM Re: How do you handle your backups? [Re: Wildout]
01Ryan10 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Orange, CA.
2TB ESATA drive.

I scripted RoboCopy.exe to backup everything at 2AM everyday. In my opinion, there is no better solution considering RoboCopy is native to Windows 7 and is extremely robust.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads