Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7368679 - 11/01/13 03:38 PM Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help.
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Well, I just got a call from a writer buddy of mine who just put in a good word for me with an outdoors magazine. There's an upcoming article he's doing (2014/2015) and I'm responsible for all the camera work (12+ pics PLUS MAGAZINE COVER! )

So now I'm got this giant pit in my stomach, am I good enough to do this? Do I have the right camera? The right lenses? Don't get me wrong it's exciting at the same time but god damnit, I'm a fisherman first and a very VERY amateur photographer second. I've got thoughts of off camera flash, FF bodies and expensive lenses running through my head. I'm sure guys like Nate will get a chuckle out of this but it's pretty nerve racking, lol. None of the lenses I've currently got are particularly fast (70-200 f4L, EF-S 10-22mm and a nifty fifty) which I'm sure aren't going to help me capture the type of action shots I want to take (and that the magazine wants)..

I've been eyeing the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 and will probably pick one up next week. I'd really like a 70-200 f2.8 but I'll probably just end up renting that for a trip to Michigan I've got in the next coming weeks. Is there anything else I should be looking at? As far as flashes go I've got a Yongnuo YN-565EX but haven't done much other then put it on, set it to ETTL and shot away. I think I should start scouring Flickr for EXIF data to see what all the pros are using

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#7368686 - 11/01/13 03:43 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
he wouldn't have requested for you to do the photography if he wasn't sure that you were capable of doing it.

doing it for a friend and just giving you the hookup on some side cash...that's different. doing it for an outdoor magazine and the potential for more incoming jobs from different magazines...he's confident that you can do it.

post up some of your work

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

#7368848 - 11/01/13 05:08 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Duc]
Huggy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Camera gear doesn't dictate half as much as a good eye for photography... so if your friend thinks you've got the skills, and if he's writing the article and using you as a photographer, then you're set.

#7368919 - 11/01/13 05:41 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
flyEX #1 Offline
Man in the Box
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Down in a Hole
The gear you have is more than adequate. One of the main advantages of FF is ultra wide angle but you have the 10-22 and it is an excellent lens. Don't buy the 17-55mm just for this - only if you really want it. Tempted to send you my copy with a few xanax in the dust cap. \:D

#7369035 - 11/01/13 06:54 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: flyEX #1]
GSParker
Unregistered

What exactly would you be shooting? I won't claim it is easy or hard, but it depends on what the assignment is.

I helped Nate by getting some shots of an EVO near me and while I think I could have definitely done better, I don't think they came out all too bad either.

Just let things come naturally to you and go with it.

#7369073 - 11/01/13 07:29 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: ]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
This is one of those things that there's no preparation for except doing it. So do it.

#7369099 - 11/01/13 07:39 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: flyEX #1]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: flyEX #1
The gear you have is more than adequate. One of the main advantages of FF is ultra wide angle but you have the 10-22 and it is an excellent lens. Don't buy the 17-55mm just for this - only if you really want it. Tempted to send you my copy with a few xanax in the dust cap. \:D

I've been after the 17-55 for a while, but I think it's finally time to pull the trigger. I love the 10-22mm but in some situations it's just not fast enough. I shoot a lot of low light stuff, either early morning/late into the evening and when conditions aren't the best (Overcast, rainy, shitty light etc).. It's been my go to lens for the stuff I usually shoot (On the river in tight quarters, in your face kind of stuff).. At 10mm, I can get f3.5 out of it but that's it. I do think the 17-55 would give me more keepers compared to the 10-22 in certain conditions.

Parker, this is going to be all on the river type of stuff. Action shots of guys landing fish, close up of specifics lures, techniques, etc. Magazine has pretty specific thoughts on the pics they want for the article, I just need to get them.

I do think I'm going to rent the 70-200 f2.8 IS for my trip in a few weeks, along with picking up the EF-S 17-55mm. If the IQ on the 70-200 f2.8 is anything like my 70-200 f4 I'm sure I'll be pretty happy. Those extra stops plus I should really come in handy. It looks like I'll be lugging more camera gear then fishing gear!

Scott, I get ya, I just don't want to ruin this opportunity...

#7369337 - 11/01/13 10:50 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

this is so cool! It will work out fine dude, I'm sure of it.

#7369354 - 11/01/13 11:12 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
very cool man! just go with what you know, don't try anything new unless you practice first, and follow your gut (and eye).
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#7371762 - 11/04/13 06:30 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: chef]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
Pick up a 50 macro for the close ups of the gear and fish? What you have should be sufficient. Bump the ISO.
#7372097 - 11/04/13 10:22 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Voltron]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
Don't over-think it. You'll end up changing how you do things and screw it up.

You got the job based on the merit of what you already did, which is really good. So keep it business as usual and focus on just tweaking some details to make it slightly better.

Easy for me to say, I know. I'd be freaking out too. But remain calm. Never let 'em see you sweat.

#7372118 - 11/04/13 10:32 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: MetalheaD]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
forget what everyone said and PANIC!!!

lol...congrats bill

#7372912 - 11/04/13 03:20 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: busfare]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think I'll just stick with what I know, snap a billion pics and hope I get some keepers.

#7373106 - 11/04/13 05:11 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: busfare]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
 Originally Posted By: busfare
forget what everyone said and PANIC!!!

lol...congrats bill

THIS!

Okay but seriously though, you are totally justified in worrying and wondering what to do. I would say try some new techniques between now and when you shoot, if it's not going to be until 2014 or 2015 anyway you should have plenty of time. Also, if they like what you've done so far, don't try to stray too far from your current style.

And make sure they PAY YOU.

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7373419 - 11/04/13 07:43 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Nate047]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I'd just start practising the shots you already do more often just to get a better keeper rate so that you'll have more choices of what you would want to submit to the magazine. One day it'll just come naturally where you don't have to think.

If you want a new lens that's fast & is a zoom, but sharp I'd say grab the new sigma 18-35 f1.8 & hope for a good copy.

#7374120 - 11/05/13 06:00 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Wildout]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks again guys, feeling a bit better about things, lol. I just picked up a EF-S 17-55 f2.8 the other day and will be renting the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM for my trip in the next few weeks. I just need to spend more time taking pics then fishing \:\)

Nate, definitely getting paid. I wouldn't want to get lambasted by you guys had I not

#7374201 - 11/05/13 07:16 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
Voltron Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Found
Good stuff Bill. Like you said, take many pics, better to have many to choose from with better angles/lighting than having to go with fewer shots that may not be on par with what they're looking for.
#7374395 - 11/05/13 08:48 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: LNXGUY]
Kierf Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cool stuff.

Keep doing what you've been doing (because they clearly like it) and practice some new shots. Grats!

#7374938 - 11/05/13 11:16 AM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Nate047]
GSParker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Nate047

Nate

and yet you couldn't pay me?

#7375089 - 11/05/13 12:14 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: ]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Do fluffers normally get paid?
#7375103 - 11/05/13 12:20 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
GSParker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Ohio_82

In many ways than one

#7375220 - 11/05/13 01:05 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: ]
Nate047 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: La La Land, CA
 Originally Posted By: GSParker

Nate

Hey man I wouldn't have done it if I were you. And for the record, that was not my call at all as junior editor, so don't lay that shit on me bro!!1!

Nate
"Nate047 > NateSTL" - TenTwelve
"As long as I have a face, you'll always have a place to sit." - SlowBlackCar

*insert picture of stock Fit here*

#7375780 - 11/05/13 03:56 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: ]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
 Originally Posted By: Ohio_82

In many ways than one

Fluffers usually do not receive the money shot.

#7375956 - 11/05/13 05:12 PM Re: Kinda freaking out a bit.....Could use some help. [Re: Nate047]
GSParker
Unregistered

Nate

Hey man I wouldn't have done it if I were you. And for the record, that was not my call at all as junior editor, so don't lay that shit on me bro!!1!

Nate

I just enjoy getting out and shooting so it didn't bother me at all.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads