Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9223748 - 01/04/18 01:45 PM Do you offer to help?
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
For whatever reason, when I see someone in vehicular distress I offer to help. I’m not saying I pop their hood and start wrenching, but if I can help push a car out off to the side or to a gas station, or offer a boost etc I do so.

Today I was in a parking lot and a guy had his driver front rotor sitting on the ground. I’m guessing he hasn’t jacked this car up before as he didn’t place the jack under the proper mounts and it slipped when he was changing his flat tire. He wanted to try jacking it from the passenger side but I told him that would just push the driver side down more. He then wanted to jack it from the middle of the driver side (since the front was on the ground) but I told him that was a bad idea for obvious reasons.

I had a spare jack in my trunk (the rotating kind that come with the car) and so I offered to jack it up from the rear driver side (not the rear of the car) just enough to get his jack to slide under the driver front mount. It worked.

It wasn’t the best day as it was cold out and I was dressed for work and ended up getting salt all over me, but hey if I can help someone I’ll try. What’s funny is back in November I was driving my wife’s car and the battery died when I stopped to put gas. I asked about half a dozen people and no one would give me a boost. Are they afraid I would scam them somehow? I ended up calling a friend to come and give me a boost.

#9223772 - 01/04/18 02:00 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
yeah these days it's different (and perhaps being a big city too and all) vs. say 20yrs ago or even less. re. the issue of you not getting a boost, i think it is ppl just being more weary/worried, you're right. mind you some of them prob also just didn't wanna help because it was an annoyance or they didn't have time which IMO is prob more common today...sadly.

if it's a simple enough situation in a public parking lot like yours then yes i'd try to help (if sans wife/kids). if it's on a live lane on the hwy or even say steeles or something, fuck that.

pics of you in work clothes?

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9223808 - 01/04/18 02:21 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Did you have booster cables? Don't forget a lot are ignorant when it comes to how their cars work and are afraid of damaging it. That said on a freezing cold day like today and if I were without my kid I might stop to help, but I don't carry booster cables lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9223817 - 01/04/18 02:26 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i try to help as much as possible.

the other day, i was coming home at about 4am. exiting 400N, there was a CAA flat bed. the exit is a slight right turn, followed by a sharper left turn and then the lights. this guy in the CAA truck doesn't even attempt the left, and runs straight off the road, down a small hill into the ditch, truck instantly turns left from hitting the other side of the bank, goes along the ditch and then ends up smashing into a hill.

i hit the 4 ways, get out, help dude out of the truck because he seemed to have trouble getting the door open. young indian kid, looked like he's been driving for 2 days straight or something. so I start to ask him questions, did he hit his head? does he need EMS? anything hurting? does he have a cell phone to call for help? he says he's all good then asks ME how he's going to get his truck out...da faq? i told him he should call CAA

#9223926 - 01/04/18 03:18 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: titty sprinkles]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah I had booster cables with me and I would tell people that. I think it was just a case of people being more defensive these days and not wanting to get involved with other people's problems. That and being cautious from hearing so many stories of people getting scammed.
#9223932 - 01/04/18 03:23 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: titty sprinkles]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
I’ve given random people who need a boost in parking lots and what not. Never hurts to build up good karma.
#9223936 - 01/04/18 03:28 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I got out of the habit when I drove the Insight. (I think) the manual said that it shouldn't be used to boost other cars. I do keep cables in the trunk now (and did before the Insight) and would be likely to help out now if needed.
#9223955 - 01/04/18 03:45 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
Yeah I had booster cables with me and I would tell people that. I think it was just a case of people being more defensive these days and not wanting to get involved with other people's problems. That and being cautious from hearing so many stories of people getting scammed.

It's sad how society has become. When I was at Walmart I help a few ppl out boosting their cars with a booster pack.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9223989 - 01/04/18 04:26 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I'd like to say i'd stop and help, but it really depends on the situation.

Good on you OP, good karma your way

#9224493 - 01/05/18 08:16 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Risky Business]
User7 Offline
Poster

Loc: TORONTO
Depends on the situation. If they're looking for help in a parking lot, no problem. If it's the side of the highway and I'm with my kids, likely not.

I was once stranded at the airport parking lot with a dead battery at 2:00am. No problem, I have booster cables. I waited for next flight to arrive and was able to flag down two separate cars and the people simply said "no thanks" to helping me. Ended up calling a friend.

#9224557 - 01/05/18 08:53 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: User7]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

As upsetting as it is for people not to help you, you can't hold it against them imo. A lot of people live in fear, that on its own is a sad existence, some that didn't help may regret it after. Point is, if someone didn't help you, doesn't mean you don't help. This isn't aimed at anyone, just a general statement.
#9224816 - 01/05/18 11:13 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Ironically this actually happened this morning in frigid cold. I was at starbucks in line to grab my morning coffee and I saw the elderly lady in the parking lot that she could not turn the engine over. She popped the hood and she could not figure out why the car would not start. I went to go outside and I offered assistance. She told me that her car would not start and I offered to give her car a boost. I gave her a boost and off she went to her way as I went back inside to get my coffee.

I have no problem helping people out anyway I can - especially elderly people.

#9225013 - 01/05/18 12:50 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: c2k]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
If I can I will. I had a guy and his son help me 20kms into Algonquin Park a few years ago. Buried the sled, couldn't get it out, was walking back along the trail and they were coming down. I really don't know what I would have done if they didn't show up. Wasted half their day helping me get that fucking sled out. I gave them whatever cash I had and profusely apologized for ruining their day. Father refused to take the $$$ as well, I had to give it to the son

#9225920 - 01/06/18 03:11 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: LNXGUY]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
I've changed a tire for a couple of old folks stranded on the side of the dvp. And with the traffic congestion, there was no fear of getting hit. Boosted a few cars. Some people are pretty apprehensive about help offered by strangers, thinking there's an ulterior motive. Those old folks offered money, and from the diamond crusted pinky ring and the Texas licence plate, they probably had a nice chunk to offer. I'd never take it tho. You just gotta believe in good will. Feels are good.

#9226336 - 01/07/18 02:35 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: 4Three]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Canada
Always, unless I have my little girl in the truck and it's going to be messy.

I keep tools and when the weather is warm enough, a trauma bag from my work in the truck.

#9226337 - 01/07/18 02:36 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: 4Three]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
Its risky helping people on the side of the road. Like, to the OP that help the guy jack his car....i'd never do that, clearly he's inexperienced and if something did happen, he'd likely blame you. Thats the reason why people don't do the boosting anymore either. Back in the 80, all you had was fuel injection and that was it. Its not like that anymore so its way more risky to boost someones car with your car. If I see someone that needs help with a push, i'll gladly stop my car and give a push. But thats pretty much were it ends for me. its all about liability. I'd let someone come into my car to warm up while they use their own phone to call for help as well. I don't keep booster cables in my car. If I get stuck, i'll call a tow truck to remove my vehicle. We need to be responsible for ourselves. I've seen people just stall while on the road and have jumped out and helped push, I know i've needed that once before as well and someone helped me push. But I'd never ask for a boost, only for help to move my shit can out of the way so as to not endanger or inconvenience others.
#9226340 - 01/07/18 02:41 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Raocorp]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Canada
I was working late on NYE and it was -35. I brought an extra charged battery and booster cables. That way, if I boosted anyone, (co-workers), it wouldn't affect my electronics and fry anything, if something went wrong.
#9226426 - 01/07/18 05:23 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: spnx]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
Usually in a rush to go somewhere so I don't have time to stop. That said I've never asked a stranger for help, usually go to my family first, then friends. It's not like back in the day where people didn't have cell phones.
#9226451 - 01/07/18 06:11 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: BroKe]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Timely thread. The BMW said a very firm "nope, fuck you" when I tried to start it this morning after it had sat out in -30* Peterborough all night. The nice lady at the front desk of the hotel I was staying at pulled up her Taurus and gave me a boost. Gonna have to pay that one forward for sure.
#9226612 - 01/08/18 04:27 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I always help. Always. 3 people so far that have put themselves in a ditch, nothing I could do so they warmed up in my car while the tow came.

Boosting cars is a no-brainer just double check it's hooked up correctly & rev the car providing the power.

Driven a student that a bus driver clearly drove past without stopping to school (on the way).

Called in a vehicle on fire on the 410 it was Northbound while I was heading Southbound.

Taken a drunken driver off the road, followed him while on the phone with the police to update him with his whereabouts. Provided a full police report his 3rd offence & his license was suspended.

Too many to list really. If I can help I always will. I find the opposite actually most people are too proud to ask and/or mention they need help so I usually ask them if everything okay just to double check.

For people I actually know I usually just let them use my CAA when I'm not with them. Ran out of gas, boost a car or tow to mechanic.

In each car I keep booster cables, basic socket set & gloves.

Like Vas said a lot of people live in fear. My parents hate that I help random strangers.

#9226679 - 01/08/18 08:59 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Wildout]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Good on you. Helping is what makes us a community. I get that people are worried about liability, but really if your intentions are good and just, you should never have to worry.

#9227054 - 01/08/18 02:43 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Wildout]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
I always help. Always. 3 people so far that have put themselves in a ditch, nothing I could do so they warmed up in my car while the tow came.

Boosting cars is a no-brainer just double check it's hooked up correctly & rev the car providing the power.

Driven a student that a bus driver clearly drove past without stopping to school (on the way).

Called in a vehicle on fire on the 410 it was Northbound while I was heading Southbound.

Taken a drunken driver off the road, followed him while on the phone with the police to update him with his whereabouts. Provided a full police report his 3rd offence & his license was suspended.

Too many to list really. If I can help I always will. I find the opposite actually most people are too proud to ask and/or mention they need help so I usually ask them if everything okay just to double check.

For people I actually know I usually just let them use my CAA when I'm not with them. Ran out of gas, boost a car or tow to mechanic.

In each car I keep booster cables, basic socket set & gloves.

Like Vas said a lot of people live in fear. My parents hate that I help random strangers.

so much this. last year i saw this old guy stranded down the street at the intersection nearby, his subaru shit the bed and it was like -25 out. i was on my way home, dropped the kid off then went out for food and still saw him stuck there car not running, got the food was still there on the way back, so many people driving right past so i dropped the food at home, went and offered him to sit in my car until the tow truck shows up. turns out he's a veteran and a cancer survivor. guy was shivering his ass off sitting there waiting.

#9227072 - 01/08/18 02:55 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: titty sprinkles]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham
I always help when I can, helped boost a few cars. I think it's sad when people are more worried about liability.
#9227525 - 01/09/18 08:30 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: SiRice]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
I was helped out huge buy passers by a couple years ago.
Was driving to my wifes family Christmas dinner thing and I was on call for work.
I got a page so I did the responsible thing and pulled over onto what I thought was a shoulder, turned out it was a ditch covered over by deep snow. Went right in and instead of stopping I did the guy thing and tried to power through and out the other side, just went further down and further stuck.
I always carry a tow strap, so there I am at the side of a deserted county road holding a tow strap waiting for a truck to pass by.
bunch of guys in pickups where driving buy and thankfully stopped and pulled us out.
I had no cash and felt so dumb, as soon as we where out I thanked them and left with my tail between my legs.

Haven't had the chance to help out anyone but I totally would.

On the flip side my wife, who was like 7-8 months very pregnant, blew a tire. Pulled into the gas station in Brampton. And you think any fucker would help her, none! Pregnant lady waddling about changing a tire

#9227828 - 01/09/18 01:45 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: zc911]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: bAt_Rob_zc911

On the flip side my wife, who was like 7-8 months very pregnant, blew a tire. Pulled into the gas station in Brampton. And you think any fucker would help her, none! Pregnant lady waddling about changing a tire

Ya that's just sad.... If I saw a pregnant chick struggling I'd help out.
When I was going to university I helped a bunch of ladies with their baby carriages up and down stairs in the subway stations . I was surprised how many people just walked by

#9227905 - 01/09/18 03:20 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Raocorp]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I'm not surprised, being on the Go-Train you constantly see men ignoring pregnant women who don't get a seat, it's usually other females offering up their seats while the wastemen sit there and pretend they don't see them.
#9228012 - 01/09/18 05:54 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Wildout]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Wow that's so fucked up

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9228462 - 01/10/18 12:17 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: Wildout]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
I'm not surprised, being on the Go-Train you constantly see men ignoring pregnant women who don't get a seat, it's usually other females offering up their seats while the wastemen sit there and pretend they don't see them.

That's fucked. Pregnant women, old people, moms with kids, always get my seat.

#9229223 - 01/11/18 11:10 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: LNXGUY]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
Walked out of the superstore yesterday and noticed an SUV with a flat, sitting in a grocery pick up spot... walked over to let them know.. it was a mom with two baby seats in the back (twins, had to be under a year)

ended up gutting her trunk and changing her tire for her. It's scary how many people just walk on past these days.

#9230674 - 01/12/18 02:33 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: markw]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
That's awesome!

Moving to the country, I have to say, the difference is night and day. Everyone will stop and help. It's a much more friendly place to be.

Edited by bAt_Rob_zc911 (01/12/18 02:34 PM)

#9230785 - 01/12/18 04:55 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: zc911]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Nice one Mark!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9232148 - 01/15/18 11:59 AM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
 Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
I’ve given random people who need a boost in parking lots and what not. Never hurts to build up good karma.

Same here

#9233509 - 01/17/18 12:13 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: iamfob]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Would help push if someone is stuck in the snow on a small / side street (and if i don't have any passengers in my car at the time).

Helped an old lady [in a Buick, of course] start up her car in front of Walmart (she flooded the car by trying too many times; taught her the "step fully on the gas pedal and turn the key" method to clear the fuel injection system).

Helped someone boost their car at the gas station (of all the times I had a spare set of battery cables in the trunk which I rarely do).

Gave a guy a ride to the gas station so he can get gas and dropped him back off at his truck.

Generally I will try to help out if i'm not in a hurry to go somewhere or busing the kids around -- during the day, or at night if there are people around [witnesses if I disappear - lol].
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#9233565 - 01/17/18 01:29 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: hyper-s2k]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k

Gave a guy a ride to the gas station so he can get gas and dropped him back off at his truck.

I would be a little torn with this one. I'd really want to help but would be cautious of putting a stranger into my car.

#9233651 - 01/17/18 03:27 PM Re: Do you offer to help? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
 Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
 Originally Posted By: hyper-s2k

I would be a little torn with this one. I'd really want to help but would be cautious of putting a stranger into my car.

If this happened again, I probably won't do it (as this was at night too, which contradicts my previous conditions for helping) .. this was on my way back from class - it's a street near my house; I've seen the truck before (he had a company logo on the door, and I always see that thing park on that street so to me its recognizable and was consistent with his story of claiming he lived around here).

It was a bit - I was kind of caught off guard but my intuition did NOT say: "don't let this guy get in".
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads