Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#8643635 - 05/02/16 10:49 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Got a half in the books... good work!! Very respectable time regardless of the elements. Seemed like it was both awesome and horrible at the same time. \:D
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8643863 - 05/02/16 12:42 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
thanks guys. 48 hours later I guess I've calmed down. It was pretty bad though.

I probably had a decent race given my fitness levels and some HR metrics I was tracking [I hit 191 HR somewhere so possibly my HR is higher than I think it is but I doubt it I probably just was de-fib'ing out on the climb on mile 5 lol not joking]

I'm disappointed primarily on the bike performance tbh. I know runs suck for me and I'm always going to have a shit show it seems on the run relative to my peers BUT WTF BRO, 16.5 MPH?? BRO DID U MTBIKE IT???
https://www.strava.com/activities/562756544
[missed first 13 miles due to user error/not switching watch post transition--spoiler alert I was slow as fuck there too!]

Then again, I was basically riding around at 2.5w/KG net [3.0 on most of the strava segments tho including the climbs--I coasted most of the downhills and was doing upper 30s/low 40s all over the place and was pushing skin graft territory in the gusts and chopped asphalt surface with my disc wheel on the back so I just relaxed there] which is basically all I've got at my fitness level/biking experience for an effort this long/to stay aerobic. That's me I guess. On some courses w/flat winds this will produce a 20.0+ mph bike split [seriously], just not this one. I guess 25/56 isn't terribad in my AG as the rule of thumb in these things is people tend to be fast bikers/leave it on the bike course if not a little of both. I probably fell victim to that too but I'm glad when I was glancing at my watch for pacing I was ignoring mph and just looking at HR [only checking every couples miles, dont be triggered :D]

#8685924 - 06/08/16 12:53 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

First Oly Tri of the season this weekend [pacific grove]

last year I went 2:42:nn after nearly aborting the event due to being quite sick the day before, but decided to tough it out anyways

just writing my goals down to see how far/close I come to these:

1]swim 26:00 [last year 27:35, I can do 22:nn in a LCM pool without killing myself so hopefully this pace is about right]. Also I previewed the area a couple weeks ago and the kelp is way down [urchin problem] so I doubt I'll be getting stuck/stopped completely 2x on the ocean swim and untangling myself.

1a] T1: 3:00, will be hard as I'll have a wetsuit on this year for the speed boost

2] bike: 1:10:00, or 21.3 mph avg. Last year on this flat course I went only 1:16:nn, but I was trying not to puke/sick. My PR on a 40KTT in a tri is 1:12:nn from last year but that was a hilly course and I've switched to a TT bike and a disc cover rear. I actually want a 1:09:nn pretty badly. Willing to sacrifice a bit of my run to get there.

2b] T2: 2:00, should do better but whatev, all the best transistion spots are always taken by the time I get there at like 5:45a

3] run: 48:00, last year I went 52:nn but I was mostly trying not to die, the cold I had the day before was coming home. This is only averaging 7:45/mi on a flat course which I shouldnt have any problems with I'm hoping even possibly I might be able to pull some time out of this [46:nn on a perfect day?]

all together: 2:29:00, which gives me ~60s to get under my actual long-term goal of breaking 2:30:00 to get to semi-official try-hard oly tri results/hobby triathlete which is probably similar to my <20:00 5K run goal or to continue to be able to break 1:00 in a 100m free /hobby swimmer

hopefully my mental math wont let me down as I'm a pretty good pace slave to break a certain time goal. Eg if I'm projecting a 2:29:45 finish with a 47:00 10K run or something I'll just modify my pace to 7:30/mi and see what happens. The real risk there is just a mental math failure and of course an actual bonk. But I figure a 10/10ths effort is around a 46:00 which I'll reserve for some jackass in my AG that decides to pass me from miles 3+ \:D

I don't expect to get anywhere near an AG placing with a 2:29:nn effort though, just racing the clock. And/or someone in my AG that attempts to pass me on the run past mile 3 even if I'm on my projected pace to hit 2:29:nn

/novel //rambling ///excite ////TMI

#8690362 - 06/12/16 12:09 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

welp did it today, cant decide if I'm stoked or dissapoint. Missed the 2:30 goal by a solid chunk, and my bike leg sucked. Run leg wasnt much better. I kinda un-corked the swim a little not sure if thats related to the strugglez on the day. Day before and day of the race I wasnt feeling super energetic, and I didnt taper even a little for the race.

results:
2:36:nn
24:low swim [11:mid first lap, I noticed the split and decided to back off 2nd lap]: 3:low improvement
T1: 3:mid, only :30s slower than last year and it included a wetsuit swap this time
1:15:nn bike, :1:00 faster than last year. But I'm on a TT bike and disc cover rear this time, and wasn't sick. Very disappointed in this split. Sigh.
2:low T2 [: same as last year/push]
50:mid run, 2:00 faster than last year. I noticed my 2:30:00 goal was out the window right around lap 2 on the bike, so I decided I wasn't going to be killing myself today

5-ish mins faster than last year is an OK improvement but kind of a push. I guess I'm happy about being 3rd out of the water in my wave, but the rest was kinda meh. I just noticed my power was fading throughout the bike course. First lap I easily held on to a 1:08--1:09 bike split goal, and then was only a little under that lap 2, lap 3 and lap 4 I significantly slowed---wondering what that was all about. I guess it just wasnt my day. Maybe a sleep/nutrition/feeding on the bike thing. Maybe I swam a bit too fast. I'm kind of at a loss.

Got some work to do to figure out the bike leg I guess. I think I have some dangling bike fit issues to work through. My seat came loose again after lap 1 which sucks because then I have to use my arms to force myself back on the seat to balance it and cant just simply crank so power drops. Man that would suck if that was my whole problem the entire time... I'm struggling to push myself back on the seat to keep it ~flat [balances on a bolt/hinge], that bolt came just a little loose [grr should have locktite'd it].

Anyways got another oly tri in 2 weeks. I'll have the seat perfect for that one at least loctite

#8692184 - 06/13/16 01:01 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

alright slightly less mad at myself 2 days later:

revised goal for Pleasanton [dream of sub 2:30:00 on this hilly-ish/hot course seem unreasonable in my current state of fitness] but I'll look at 2:34:00 pretty closely when I start the run and hope for the best.

things to do differently this time:
a) locktite seat bolt. JFC
b) install the 2nd rear bottle cage [only have one in frame], gives me a place to put the 'empty' second bottle as I am cheap and dont want to throw mine away so it makes juggling the empty unnecessarily entertaining by not having a free empty slot behind me. oops lol. So I have 1 in frame and 2 behind me, but only use 2 slots /details
c) bring your GD bike pump. This time I borrowed a guys chinese floorpump and I must have pumped it to 140 PSI on my front [~110 indicated] as because after the race when my bike had been sunning for say 2 hours and I was walking it back to the car it had a blowout lol. which brings me to my next point...
d)bring your patch/tube/tire tools you dumbfuck. I got lucky this time
e)practice biking at LEAST a couple times on your TT bike to make sure your bike is on point. Since this was a flat course it didnt matter that my rear derailleur was kinda flaky jumping around between a couple mid-cassette. In my next one its going to get a workout up and down the gears.
f)decide by thursday if I'm going to taper/have an easy workout. I think having a hard thursday double workout hurt me a bit sat on race day

goal:
swim 25:00
T1 3:00
bike 1:12:00 [being conservative here, 1:14:nn last year]
T2 1:30
run :52:00 [hot and hilly, plus I'm sad and slow lol, plus I HATE this run course, I went 58:nn last year doe lol]

2:33:30

so in shouting distance of sub 2:30:00
I don't think I'm fit enough to pull that all out on the run so if I had to do a sub 2:30:00 at pleasanton I'd probably have to go like:

24:00 swim
2:30 T1
1:11:00 bike
1:30 T2
51:00 run

so I guess maybe it's possible. But that looks like a 10/10 effort on this course if not 11/10

#8692279 - 06/13/16 01:39 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sounds like a sensible goal to me.

If I had to guess, went at it too hard on the swim or didn't fuel enough.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8759390 - 08/13/16 01:27 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
silentfurymm Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: SoCal....again
Trying this tri thing this year as well. Just a Sprint, so its not overly daunting. Another Koz event, the Mission Beach Sprint in October. Have one other guy from the ship, possibly two who will be there as well. I will be the slow one, but still fun to encourage / rip on each other.

Now that deployment is over I can finally actually run outside, and I forgot how easy the treadmill is lol legs hurt. Also got to get the bike down, not going to buy a used road bike. Just going to gut it out on the hybrid.

#8760002 - 08/14/16 01:27 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: silentfurymm]
DalM3 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Stockton CA, 95210
I gave up running as my sole source of fitness activity as the miles were killing me, started tri's last year with a mini sprint. First off, I couldn't swim. I could float, maybe swim 20 yds. 8 weeks training in the pool got me into my first open water swim. Let me tell you it was the most embarrassing thing ever, totally panicked, was asked several times if I needed help out of the water. It was only 200 yards but eventually I got to the end, 10 minutes later.

A year later, I've completed 4 sprints. 1st one was this past May in Auburn CA. 500 yrd swim, followed by 2 w/ .5 mile swims and wrapped up yesterday with a .75 mi swim. I still can't swim very well, still intimidated by the water. My plan was to complete sprints this year, intl's next year, and then year 2 IM short course. If I can get registered for Vineman 70.3 next year, i'll do it. I did an open water clinic last month and swam 1600yds. Took 40 mins but I know the base it there. Just need help with form and breathing. I'm still a 2 stroke unilateral breather. That saying about teaching an old dog new tricks has a lot of traction here.

This swimming thing was really tearing me up. I almost bailed on the Auburn tri, was still scared shitless in the open water. Auburn had a training day with an open water outfit lending a hand. Their coached signaled me out right out of the gate. Spent 10 minutes with me and something clicked, got me over the anxiety. The open water swimming whisperers.

#8760909 - 08/15/16 11:43 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: DalM3]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

sweet! I'm probably doing vineman 70.3 next year [July IIRC]
IIRC vineman sells out in like :13s and the only sure way in is via a club--so find a local tri club, sign up for it [probably ~$100] and they'll give you a code to get in early at vineman. unfortunately its probably the only way...

the wildflower 70.3 doesnt sell out anywhere near like that tho, it's april and worth the trip IMO. Warning on the bike course: its rough as fuck. Also on the run: miles 4-7, dont get down on yourself for the thoughts/bad moments/walking you end up doing in that area.

regarding the 'breathe every 2 strokes' thing, I've always understood in ANY race over 200m, that the fastest method is breathing every other stroke--period/the end.

I know tri-dorks try to go every 4 [or 6, or GASP 8] for some unknown reason but it doesnt help IMO.

Your body is an aerobic /oxygen pump. Quick efficient every-other stroke breathing is the way to go in any full aerobic race [>200m]. My $0.01

I know some people feel strongly about this topic but take a look at any race over 200m and count the breathing!

one example: Ledecky 800m WR--> the patented loping/late breath method of every-other-stroke breathing
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30w0dd?GK_FACEBOOK_OG_HTML5=1

#8761895 - 08/15/16 10:01 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
DalM3 Offline
Sr Member

I've spent hours watching her and Sun Yang videos. I've found there are so many nuances to swimming, I learn something new and forget the last 3 things I picked up. Thank god for wetsuits. I do have a swim coach, he's called me a challenge. I do belong to a small tri club, our better swimmers breathe bilaterally, every 3rd stroke.

3 in our group did Vineman this year, 1 of them did both courses. They told me getting into the 70.3 would be difficult, 2018 is my goal anyway if I don't make it next year. I read your Wildflower report.....good stuff.

#8762006 - 08/16/16 12:20 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: DalM3]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Never swam bilaterally...and Ive got a 1:06 Ironman swim PR. Go with what's comfortable. On easy swims (endurance) Im a 4 stroke swimmer, but any kind of mass start or hard effort means 2 stroke breathing.

Best of luck and have fun!

#8765610 - 08/18/16 04:36 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

found a good article on "every other stroke" recommendation

--> https://swimswam.com/5-tips-for-breathin...of-5-olympians/

the last couple times I did a pool 1500m/1650y TT I ended up in the 22:nn range without killing myself. Like once even I had no idea the race was over heh [counting 1650y in a 25y pool is basically impossible imo] Been thinking about adding a workout/week in to speed up a bit but I dunno/I seem fast enough for my goals. Would rather increase sprint speed which at this point I guess is mostly in the weight room heh.

#8806360 - 10/01/16 03:37 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
silentfurymm Offline
Post Master Sr

Tomorrow morning, just picked up my stuff. Hope i don't drown, never did get in a pool
#8807773 - 10/03/16 12:03 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: silentfurymm]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

how'd it go?

#8808970 - 10/04/16 12:06 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
silentfurymm Offline
Post Master Sr

I finished, but my time makes me sad. 1hr 30 min flat. The two biggest things that cost me 10 minutes where my really long time of 7min!!! in the first transition and that I overtightened my front wheel when I got it out of the car.

The transition was because I insisted on putting on compression socks after the swim. I have been dealing with tightness in my calf for the last two months and I didnt want it to stop me that morning. I made it through the run just fine, but I could have been four min faster without those socks.

My wheel kept squeaking on the course and I thought the disc was crooked or something, but I my average speed seemed normal to me, even though the course was utterly flat compared to my training route (7ft elevation gain that morning as opposed to my normal 650ft). Once was the race was over I tried spinning the wheel and realized it would only go one turn before stopping. Basically I had the front brake dragging my the whole time.

The swim was ok, I was worried in the first 100 meters because I was really cold and I had to take several side strokes to get my breath, but then I warmed up and it was fine.

I will do another one next year for sure. I had fun and it kept me motivated. I will get a used road bike, and rethink the transition.

#8809032 - 10/04/16 12:58 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: silentfurymm]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

sweet! sounds good man

#8809204 - 10/04/16 03:54 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man! What I liked about triathlon was that there was always something to learn or work on from race to race. Tip: just wear the compression sleeves during the swim. ;\)

#8809217 - 10/04/16 04:10 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

for me lately it's always a push-pull thing where a 'good' leg in one discipline always seems to come at the cost of another.

or at least for me, violating the '...race only begins on the run' rule comes with consequences

also: not every day is PR day. I keep trying to remember that

like pulling 2-3 minutes out of the oly distance swim leg because why not kinda backfires haha. attach an eager bike-leg to that and the run is going to suck really bad and likely involve walking through water stops and stuff

#8814091 - 10/10/16 12:52 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
DalM3 Offline
Sr Member

5th sprint of the year completed today, .5/15/3. Personally, it felt good to finish with the little training I did leading up to it. I swam 3 times a week, but did about a weeks worth of bike and run spread over the last month. My left knee has been bothering me. Overall, I sucked though. I swam like shit, and my transition times were a joke. This was my first river swim, upstream w/ a strong current. There was a moment of water clarity where I could see straight down. It was as each stroke only moved me 1/2 a foot. Killed it on the bike though, it was 3 5 mile loops. Avg'd almost 21 on the first 2 laps. Blew my load to early and the third lap suffered. Avg finish was 20 on my 58cm Spec Roubaix. I knew better than to go that fast, but that grove feels so good when you're in it. The run was all about those 9 min miles.

My goal for next year is just learn how to swim. All I'm asking for is a measly 2min/100 time. My lack of swim skill is definitely effecting the run/bike. I'm so discouraged by it, i'm not running/riding as much as I should.

#8834233 - 10/29/16 02:00 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: DalM3]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm hovering over the signup for IM Santa Rosa 70.3, $340 and will fill/close this weekend

Ugh can't decide. Mainly because I'm not confident I will be able to run on my questionable hip that far next year. Ugh, I guess I can pay for the injury insurance , didn't see a pre-existing condition clause for that lol (but they carefully constructed a pregnancy pre existing condition exclusion)

Edit: signed up lol

#8837735 - 11/01/16 11:27 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
DalM3 Offline
Sr Member

I'm disappointed, Santa Rosa in May isn't going to work for me. I wanted to rest my knees and get in some PT between now and January. I figured on a solid 6 months training with an Oly or two leading up to July would be perfect. I'll most likely knock out 3-4 Olys instead. Santa Cruz is still in consideration, but I've never swam in the ocean. It took me 40 years to learn how to swim, I'm not going to get all cocky now and jump in with the sharks(well maybe, never ever thought I was going to learn how to swim)
#8837766 - 11/02/16 01:30 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: DalM3]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cool my schedule for next years tri season is complete now

April: half moon bay, oly
May: Santa Rosa 70.3
June: Pleasanton sprint (I hate this course so much)

Which gives me a solid chunk of time to look at CIM as a Boston qualifier in December if everything goes smoothly and I don't become disabled from my hip thing..

#9011893 - 04/24/17 06:41 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

my HMB tri sucked lol

37:nn swim (!!! I go 22:30 or so in a pool for 1500m, and went 24:nn a couple times last summer, heck in HMB 2 years ago I went 27:04 in my surfing wetsuit not even trying and that also included the jog up the beach quite a ways)

1:14:nn 40k bike split, 19.95mph not terrible I guess for 15 mph winds on course. 136 avg HR means I was awfully relaxed lol. 600' of climbing

50:nn 10k, 143 avg HR, wasnt working too hard I guess. Not supremely interested in suffering given what disaster I saw on my watch after the swim leg.

I'm pretty sure the course was longer than 1500m [my half iron (1.2 miles) swim time last year was 32:00, which corresponds to a 1500m of around 25:00. The far end buoys had blown off course overnight so they reset them in the morning and they just kept going further and further out lol. Not a big deal, but depressing I guess when we basically benchmark ourselves against set distances. This one was probably closer to 1900-2000 yards vs 1600 yards

snuck into the top 20% overall, was top third in my AG, and chicked 20 times lol

In spite of me not working very hard during the race, I was completely *ucked afterwards so I dunno. I'm sore af today still [day after], not sure what to think other than I'm fairly fucked for my 70.3 in 3 weeks lol

I'm annoyed that this is 13 minutes slower than my oly tri PR last summer primarily, and also annoyed that [2] years ago on this exact course I was only 1.5 minutes slower with the worst transitions I've ever done [16 minutes total!], here I had a 4:00 T1 and a 2:00 T2, and say I went 5:00 on the walk/jog to T1 from swim exit--- that's still 5 minutes in transitions less than 2 years ago.

#9012420 - 04/25/17 12:06 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice work dude. Seems all that running has worked against you to some degree.

You reminded me I need to sign up for another Tri this summer. They have a cheap one at Camp Pendleton that's a lot of fun.
89 Camaro - Sold

#9142809 - 09/27/17 12:53 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I thought I'd update this post and mention that I went and completed the Semper Tri at Pendelton this past weekend. Borrowed a hybrid bike from my brother (around 30-40 lbs). Fun little race but a little longer than advertised.

800 M swim, 18 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Around 2:09:xx Definitely getting killed on the bike. But the good news is that I inherited one from a friend after the race (at no cost to me). Fuji Carbon frame and fork. That's about all I know.

I now seem to lack excuses to suck at tri's.
89 Camaro - Sold

#9145034 - 09/30/17 08:18 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cool, I love the mtbers you see on course sometimes! Hehe

#9145469 - 10/01/17 05:43 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job Kent!
I just picked up my sister in laws bike to use at Arizona 70.3 in a few weeks. It’s got a cute color scheme. I don’t plan on riding it more than once just to adjust the seat. Should be a shit show.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (10/01/17 05:44 PM)

#9145604 - 10/02/17 12:33 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's cool you can borrow a road bike from the family. Regardless, should be a fun time. \:D

Starting to learn a little more about these type of bikes. Turns out I need clip shoes. Who knew?
89 Camaro - Sold

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads