Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6933656 - 03/05/13 11:38 AM Yoga for fitness
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tampa/Philly
So I'm sure you guys have seen the viral video of the veteran that can't walk, and he loses 140 lbs in 10 months doing DDP yoga.

I always thought yoga was a great way of achieving flexibility, but is it really burning that many calories?? That's quite astonishing he had losses like that without intense cardio.

I've been curious to yoga for years since my back is so messed up. A lot of doctors have told me it's because of the tightness in my thighs, hips, flexors, etc. I'm thinking I might try a few sessions; it's free at my university. Has anyone tried it? I'm not trying to lose weight, just increase my flexibility and improve back pain.

#6933662 - 03/05/13 11:41 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
Hugh_G_Rection Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tampa/Philly
actually... i just did the math here....

140 lbs * 3500 cals/lb = 490,000 cals/300 days = 1633 calories/day

how the fuck did he create a deficit of 1633 calories a day?! even with the most insane diet, he was able to achieve that thru yoga alone?

#6933696 - 03/05/13 11:59 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I have no concrete numbers. All I know is that it's WAY more strenuous than people would think. If I'm sweating and breathing faster, I figure I'm exerting myself. If I had to guess, I'd say an hour of yoga equates to an hour of moderate walking. I guess the catch is, you have to do a lot of it to see big changes.

Working through a few sun salutations is a nice upper/whole body workout.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6933794 - 03/05/13 12:33 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: gamby]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
It can be hard, but you have to do it a long time to burn any serious calories. A one hour session isn't going to do it.

It's a great thing to do, and you should do it, but not to create a deficit. Also, if you're very, very fat, it's way easier to burn calories.

#6933897 - 03/05/13 01:08 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Silock]
SilverSiR2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I had to look up what DDP Yoga was and I couldn't believe it was the Diamond Dallas Page. I may have to "buy" it as right now I'm using Bryan Kest's Power Yoga which is actually pretty awesome but it was produced sometime in the mid 90's.

#6934391 - 03/05/13 04:43 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: SilverSiR2]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm sure you can get a decent workout with yoga, but I'll stick to what I'd say are more effective ways of burning calories. You can still include some yoga in any routine, I just wouldn't expect anything special for results.

From the limited amount I've read about the DDP Yoga, a lot of it is a complete lifestyle change. Yoga is a form of exercise many people (old, young, injured, fat) can participate in and I think just getting these people moving is a huge benefit to them.

#6936903 - 03/06/13 05:23 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Impulsive]
Sabotagebx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Kent, OH
I have been doing yoga 2-3 times a week and it is always a great workout. I usually do one of the p90x yoga videos. I am definitely way more limber than I used to be. I am always sweating up a storm and I do this shit in underwear. I am pretty sure it burns quite a few calories. Go for it, I swear by it, but like every exercise a few sessions is not going to result in anything. Keep at it, it wont hurt you...probably
#6937567 - 03/06/13 11:05 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Sabotagebx]
The Mighty BellRacer Online   content
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
A friend of mine uses a calorie counter and it registers 750 calories in an hour of hot yoga.
#6937638 - 03/07/13 12:46 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I know you're not saying it does, but heat doesn't burn extra calories.

I can barely burn 750 calories in a hard hour of a spin class where my heart rate reaches max more than a few times. Unless your friend is a behemoth, 750 cals burned isn't realistic (especially for those that are not too overweight).

#6937819 - 03/07/13 08:39 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Silock]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hot Yoga might feel pretty good, but too many people think OMG, such a good sweat, what a great workout!

#6938098 - 03/07/13 10:46 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Silock]
The Mighty BellRacer Online   content
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
 Originally Posted By: Silock

I can barely burn 750 calories in a hard hour of a spin class where my heart rate reaches max more than a few times. Unless your friend is a behemoth, 750 cals burned isn't realistic (especially for those that are not too overweight).

sounds on the high side to me too, but it's pretty incredibly repeatable and aligns closely with what i would expect out of other activities. 400 calories out of a moderately intense hour of aerobic like activity where max HR is approached a few times, 500 calories out of an hour of fairly intense jogging with varying elevation changes, etc.

#6938110 - 03/07/13 10:54 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: BellRacer

sounds on the high side to me too, but it's pretty incredibly repeatable and aligns closely with what i would expect out of other activities. 400 calories out of a moderately intense hour of aerobic like activity where max HR is approached a few times, 500 calories out of an hour of fairly intense jogging with varying elevation changes, etc.

I know on the bike, your calorie burn goes up with your weight. At 190lbs, I'm burning ~100 cal more per hour than a 150lb cyclist. That probably doesn't have much to do with yoga, though.

I'll bet it's like 400cal/hour for a particularly vigorous yoga session.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6938673 - 03/07/13 02:47 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: BellRacer

That's almost 100% more from an activity that doesn't raise your HR nearly as much. I don't buy it unless he's very, very overweight.

#6939621 - 03/08/13 01:15 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Silock]
toothy Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
If you guys are talking about burning calories in relation to yoga then you are completely missing the point.

#6939853 - 03/08/13 08:46 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: toothy]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd agree with that statement, but there are people thinking their yoga is a rigorous workout.

#6968733 - 03/22/13 11:55 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Impulsive]
CivicHarm Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: AZ
I do yoga twice a week but mainly for flexibility and while some of the poses are challenging I do not think I would consider it that aggressive of a fitness regimen.

Maybe if it was a more advanced class which did more intense poses and held them longer.

Either way good for him for getting out there and doing something!

#6969743 - 03/24/13 07:09 AM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Impulsive]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Impetuous
I'd agree with that statement, but there are people thinking their yoga is a rigorous workout.

For some people it is a rigorous workout. These things are all relative

#6972301 - 03/25/13 05:25 PM Re: Yoga for fitness [Re: Hugh_G_Rection]
bt0 Offline
Post Master Sr

I've thought about it but never gotten around to it. Mostly to work on some nagging back issues, while staring at asses.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads