Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3768959 - 05/27/09 12:24 AM P0170 and P0172 After New Cat Converter Installed
00DoHcSi Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Northeast
So I just changed the cat converter along with a new secondary o2 sensor since I had a code for a bad cat converter (P0420) since my car is burning oil. I used a spark plug defouler for the secondary sensor to space it out of the exhaust gas this time around to make sure the code stays off since I don't want to see the code again. Also considering that cat converters and o2 sensors are expensive and I don't want to waste more money on new ones after this, I figure this could work for the P0420 code and would be ok to do since the secondary o2 sensor doesn't affect the air fuel ratio and there are countless threads on other forums on using the spark plug defoulers to solve this code problem.

Well, the P0420 code did not come up again but after going through some drive cycles, usually 2 cycles putting 40-50 miles, I get a P0172 and P0170 which are system too rich and fuel trim malfunction.

I just put in new spark plugs about two weeks ago.

The car has a stock fuel pressure regulator, OBD 2 JDM ITR fuel injectors with 20K miles on them (one of my old fuel injectors were damaged so I replaced them all) and a AEM fuel rail.

I've never gotten these codes before until I put in my new cat converter and o2 sensor about 2 days ago (they have like 150 miles on them).

Other codes prior to the new cat converter were always the P0420 for a bad cat and no other codes.

Car idles fine, drives fine although there is a little hesitation in 3rd, 4th gear around 3-4k rpm with the CEL on. If I reset the CEL to clear the codes, the car drives normal and fine with no hesitation at all, it only hesitates when the CEL comes back on. Normal MPG and no serious bogging at all.

Where should I look first to diagnose?

Could it be bad gas? I only use Shell 93 octane V power though. Bad primary o2 sensor?

Edited by 00DoHcSi (05/27/09 12:36 AM)

Videos
#3770963 - 05/27/09 03:54 PM Re: P0170 and P0172 After New Cat Converter Installed [Re: 00DoHcSi]
I Heart My Honda Offline

Loc: New York
I had the same code, P0420. I found out that I had an exhaust leak, a hole in my cat. I took the cat off and welded the hole up and my car was fine. You replaced your cat and sensor so idk where those codes are coming from.
#3770994 - 05/27/09 04:02 PM Re: P0170 and P0172 After New Cat Converter Installed [Re: I Heart My Honda]
I Heart My Honda Offline

Loc: New York
maybe this will help? http://www.engine-light-help.com/oxygen-sensor-codes.html
#3771132 - 05/27/09 04:41 PM Re: P0170 and P0172 After New Cat Converter Installed [Re: I Heart My Honda]
00DoHcSi Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Northeast
Thanks for the link, I'll read up on it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  4doorEG, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads