Page 12 of 60 « First<1011121314>Last »
Topic Options
#6567881 - 09/05/12 10:11 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
I've also thought about a shorter tri just for fun. I have no desire to do an Ironman - I don't think I could dedicate the time to training since I have a job ;\)

I think an Olympic distance would be a fun distance and pretty painless. I just can't swim worth a shit.

#6568079 - 09/05/12 11:17 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Yeah, I can pretty much say I'll NEVER do an Ironman. The thought of running a marathon after doing a massive swim and 112 miles on the bike doesn't (and will never) compute.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6568407 - 09/05/12 01:15 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
yeah training is the one thing thats going to get me. i have the bike down no prob. ive been in the water since i was really little, so swimming shouldnt be to bad to get down. its the mother f'in running thats going to kill me. i just hate running so much
#6569689 - 09/06/12 12:07 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
 Originally Posted By: CrayCrayCrayCrayCray
I've also thought about a shorter tri just for fun. I have no desire to do an Ironman - I don't think I could dedicate the time to training since I have a job ;\)

I think an Olympic distance would be a fun distance and pretty painless. I just can't swim worth a shit.

I know you're being half serious....but honestly, a "regular" job would have little to no effect on my training. The only thing I do during work ours is my daily trainer rides. Those could easily be done in the early AM. All of my runs are done in the evening...same with my swimming.

Now, I'm not saying tri training doesn't take up a good amount of time...you just have to be willing to give up other time consuming hobbies and activities. \:D Just take a look at my post stats from 3 years ago to today.

I'm pretty sure I could finish an Ironman in a respectable time (13-14 hours) on as little as 10 hours a week.

An olympic distance for you guys that are already cyclists....shit, just add in 3 runs and 2 swims a week and you'd be golden.

#6570278 - 09/06/12 10:45 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Ironmom

I know you're being half serious....but honestly, a "regular" job would have little to no effect on my training. The only thing I do during work ours is my daily trainer rides. Those could easily be done in the early AM. All of my runs are done in the evening...same with my swimming.

Now, I'm not saying tri training doesn't take up a good amount of time...you just have to be willing to give up other time consuming hobbies and activities. \:D Just take a look at my post stats from 3 years ago to today.

I'm pretty sure I could finish an Ironman in a respectable time (13-14 hours) on as little as 10 hours a week.

An olympic distance for you guys that are already cyclists....shit, just add in 3 runs and 2 swims a week and you'd be golden.

I have a friend who has completed four of them, and she supposedly has a real job in the accounting or financial department of a major construction company. And her last two have been in Zurich and Quebec. And she travels a fair amount on top of that. I don't know how she manages it all other than that she is single, childless and doesn't really date much to my knowledge - seems easy for her to find alone time for training.

This is what I imagine her life is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

#6575429 - 09/08/12 09:20 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

The remnants of a tropical storm are around here. I did a 23.5 mile loop today and the wind was nuts. Slugged it out at 13-15mph into the headwind on a lot of the way out. On the way back, along the water, those headwinds were now massive tailwinds and for a particular one mile stretch, I was able to hold 28-31.5 mph on flat ground. It was pretty rad.

#6575582 - 09/08/12 11:19 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Just signed up for a local sprint tri next sunday. Still recovering from Louisville, and haven't yet been back on my bike, but it's pretty flat and only 11 miles....so I WANNA GO FAST!

#6575640 - 09/09/12 12:14 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

11 miles--fuck. That's a straight-up, balls-out sub-1/2 hour sprint. It'll be a question of how much you need to preserve yourself for the run.

I wish I were in CA--I'd try it out with you. \:\)

#6580641 - 09/11/12 10:10 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah....thats the thing with sprints, they're not any less difficult than a longer race...as long as you're racing it.

I'd like to be as close to 1:10 as I can get.

800m swim: 13 minutes
11 mile bike: 33 minutes
5k run: 21 minutes
Transitions: 4 minutes

Total: 1:11

That could put me near top 5 in my AG of about 50 racers.

#6580708 - 09/11/12 11:29 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah....thats the thing with sprints, they're not any less difficult than a longer race...as long as you're racing it.

I'd like to be as close to 1:10 as I can get.

800m swim: 13 minutes
11 mile bike: 33 minutes
5k run: 21 minutes
Transitions: 4 minutes

Total: 1:11

That could put me near top 5 in my AG of about 50 racers.

Jeez--those distances are pretty doable for me right now. I think I have to look into this next season. I'm kinda planning on running in the late fall when it gets too cold to ride outdoors. Also considering joining the local public pool to swim laps with the old guys. \:\)

#6581834 - 09/12/12 12:39 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

33 minutes for the bike? i would think you could do it in less no? i did 10 miles in 23:26 a few weeks ago at my TT with no training and just aero bars. i would think with all your training you could do it in around 27? i guess you need to saving some for the would help though lol
#6582767 - 09/12/12 05:59 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
DaBears Offline
Post Master Sr

I have a friend who has completed four of them, and she supposedly has a real job in the accounting or financial department of a major construction company. And her last two have been in Zurich and Quebec. And she travels a fair amount on top of that. I don't know how she manages it all other than that she is single, childless and doesn't really date much to my knowledge - seems easy for her to find alone time for training.

You sound VERY jealous of us who haven't chosen to lock ourselves down. Sad. \:\(

#6584743 - 09/13/12 02:28 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377
33 minutes for the bike? i would think you could do it in less no? i did 10 miles in 23:26 a few weeks ago at my TT with no training and just aero bars. i would think with all your training you could do it in around 27? i guess you need to saving some for the would help though lol

I'm underestimating myself I'm sure, as I think I can go sub 30:00 on the bike and still run decently. I'm still dealing with some fatigue from the Ironman though. I always seem to be able to find a speed I didn't know I had when I race, so who knows. I'm excited about it either way.

#6588606 - 09/15/12 12:26 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

had my first cyclocross race today. 3.46km circuit, 40 minutes. i started 48th out of 130. i ended up 4th. missed podium by .6 seconds and was behind the winner by 3 seconds. left my move a little to late, or else i could have had a podium. might i add, i did this on a 50 dollar bike, with mavic ksyrium wheels, no rear brakes and the bike is painted highlighter pink. lol
#6588667 - 09/15/12 01:11 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

had my first cyclocross race today. 3.46km circuit, 40 minutes. i started 48th out of 130. i ended up 4th. missed podium by .6 seconds and was behind the winner by 3 seconds. left my move a little to late, or else i could have had a podium. might i add, i did this on a 50 dollar bike, with mavic ksyrium wheels, no rear brakes and the bike is painted highlighter pink. lol

That's awesome. I think cross is the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike.

#6588844 - 09/15/12 03:46 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Awesome job...and sounds fun!

#6588934 - 09/15/12 04:53 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
Hmm, Orlando has a 14 race season. Might have to look into it!

#6588989 - 09/15/12 05:23 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Pics of bike--NAO!!!

Fucking sick performance. Clearly you're a talented cyclist. I'm too much of a pussy to try cyclocross.

I rode 36.1 miles in 2:06:21 today. Average speed of 17:14mph

Theoretically riding a hilly century in 2 weeks but I haven't been doing big mileage lately. We'll see...

#6589348 - 09/15/12 09:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
i've been off the bike for 3 weeks, had a bad stomach bug for a week that had me running to the shitter every 15 minutes and kept me bloated and gassier then I have ever been in my life. It cleared up just in time for my vacation to whistler which kept me off a real bike for another 1.5 weeks. Today was my first day out on a real bike, exactly 3 weeks to the day since my previous ride, talk about painful. Hoping I can get my strength and stamina back up close to where it was in the next two weeks so I can do the last couple local XC races.
#6589948 - 09/16/12 01:07 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Juuuuust missed the podium this morning. Finished in 4th in the 35-39 AG...out of about 40 guys.

Swim was okay, took me 14 minutes. The incoming tide kept pushing me off course so I swam more than I needed too, but I felt pretty strong. Super long run up the beach (asskicker) to transition where I was out of there quick. Bike had a big bridge you had to cross twice, and somehow my chain dropped off the small cog and got jammed against the stays. Had to waste a minute or two fixing that, then get back up to speed. Probably lost 2 minutes...finished in 33 minutes. T2 was super fast (like 45 seconds) and the run felt pretty great. 21 minutes flat...like 7:02 pace. Nobody from my AG passed me on the bike or run, so clearly I need to be with the leaders on the swim to hang at the top the whole race.

#6590413 - 09/16/12 06:11 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sprint tri?

#6590423 - 09/16/12 06:14 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: g@mby

Pics of bike--NAO!!!

Fucking sick performance. Clearly you're a talented cyclist. I'm too much of a pussy to try cyclocross.

I rode 36.1 miles in 2:06:21 today. Average speed of 17:14mph

Theoretically riding a hilly century in 2 weeks but I haven't been doing big mileage lately. We'll see...

here she is!

and yes i painted over the brake cables, some of the brake pads, the rear derailluer, front derailleur lol

Edited by nato2377 (09/16/12 06:19 PM)

#6590425 - 09/16/12 06:14 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Juuuuust missed the podium this morning. Finished in 4th in the 35-39 AG...out of about 40 guys.

Swim was okay, took me 14 minutes. The incoming tide kept pushing me off course so I swam more than I needed too, but I felt pretty strong. Super long run up the beach (asskicker) to transition where I was out of there quick. Bike had a big bridge you had to cross twice, and somehow my chain dropped off the small cog and got jammed against the stays. Had to waste a minute or two fixing that, then get back up to speed. Probably lost 2 minutes...finished in 33 minutes. T2 was super fast (like 45 seconds) and the run felt pretty great. 21 minutes flat...like 7:02 pace. Nobody from my AG passed me on the bike or run, so clearly I need to be with the leaders on the swim to hang at the top the whole race.

nice job! youre right there!

#6590428 - 09/16/12 06:15 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Back 5]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Sprint tri?

Yeah. 1/2 mile, 11 miles, 3 miles.

#6590579 - 09/16/12 07:24 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

That bike is awesome, nato! If it included the levers, it was robbery. If it included the Mavics, it would be enron-level crime!

Awesome performance, Mr. Mom! 4th place is pretty badass.

Edited by g@mby (09/17/12 02:43 PM)
Edit Reason: autocomplete made "Mavic" into "Magic"

#6590617 - 09/16/12 07:42 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
Sprint tri?

Yeah. 1/2 mile, 11 miles, 3 miles.

Awesome job man. I am chomping at the bit to get out a run, healthy!

#6590633 - 09/16/12 07:51 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: g@mby
That bike is awesome, nato! If it included the levers, it was robbery. If it included the Magics, it would be enron-level crime!

Awesome performance, Mr. Mom! 4th place is pretty badass.

this is actually the cross bike i orginally had last year. i posted a pic a few pages back. it was gold and i painted it matte black, murdered out style. never raced so i sold it to my friend for 150 in the spring. friend stripped the paint off then decided to get a new CX bike and i bought it back for 50 and repainted it again lol. the mavics didnt come with it,it has rolf vectors on it when i got it. i did get a steal on the mavics though. 2011 kysrium elites with <100 miles. paid 325

#6592266 - 09/17/12 02:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I love that dudes on $3k Van Dessels got slayed by someone on a cheapie rattlecanned beater.

#6592354 - 09/17/12 03:27 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

thats partially why i painted it pink. throw a little more salt on the wound \:D
#6592752 - 09/17/12 07:04 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

You're the denmah of 'cross

I threw down 19.16 miles on the singlespeed in 1:12:59. 15.75mph average. I was doing my best to charge the hills hard. Was in the saddle until the crests of most of the hills and then I honked and stood up. Felt pretty good.

My disclaimer for that century is: if it rains--no dice.

#6603862 - 09/22/12 12:35 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
ugh after a crap wreck on mtb back around the first of August and being unable to do anything on bikes/run (which led to just being a drunk) I finally got out on the local trails today with some other people that are about as new as me. Felt good - still hate that feeling of rolling into a drop, def. need to hit gym and work on upper body some.

I also ditched the 26er rockhopper I've have for nearly 10 years in favor of something that didn't just recently introduce me to hard ground. Picked this tank up for cheap on tax free weekend a few weekends ago. Its amazing how a 29er just kind of erases the smaller bumps/roots.

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#6604210 - 09/22/12 05:10 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

thats a nice pick up and def 29er ftw. the difference from a 26 is awesome. i love my specialized epic FS
#6604274 - 09/22/12 05:59 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm in no rush to get one. The steamroller effect is pretty nice, but they also feel really big/less nimble than a 26er to me.

Did a flat 36 miles today. Was wearing one of my MS150 "Mission Possible" jerseys (that the high fundraisers get). A woman in a black Benz pulled up next to me and thanked me for my efforts for the MS Society. She had MS and gave me props for riding for the cause. Pretty cool little encounter. Good Karma FTW. \:\)

#6604323 - 09/22/12 06:36 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

any of you guys use Strava? im a strava-holic lol had a tough ride yesterday. 42 miles, 4200ft of climb. 6 cat4 climbs and 3 cat 3 climbs. woof
#6605181 - 09/23/12 12:34 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

had my first crash on a road bike today. was going down a hill about 40-45mph, was back over the seat on the brakes and hit a pothole. when i hit it, i jerked forward and my hand accidently pulled the front brake and over the bars i went. bike doesnt look to bad, bend the bars, shifters and brakes. i have some rash on my shoulder, spine, and a huge contusion right about my butt from where i landed on my phone and garage door opener. split my helmet as well. glad the car behind me didnt run me over lol

edit: just checked my garmin, 43mph

Edited by nato2377 (09/23/12 12:41 PM)

Page 12 of 60 « First<1011121314>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads