Page 10 of 60 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#6475543 - 07/23/12 07:57 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Nah, my MTB prime was on a full rigid (and later a 1" travel fork bike in the early 90's) so I know bikehandling. Recently, I'm riding a decent amount of MTB now on a FS XC bike--I'm just not gonzo enough to tackle something like that.

That said, I'm still primarily a roadie.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6475632 - 07/23/12 08:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
 Originally Posted By: robbbby
do you do a lot of xc riding or more road?

No doubt that trail looks gnarly but if most of your time spent riding is on the road switching to that kind of riding is definitely going to be difficult. It takes lots of practice and repetition to get good at really maneuvering a mountain bike up and over that type of stuff smoothly without just smashing into it and letting the suspension soak it up. Same with downhills, it's all about picking a good line and being confident to let the bike roll over the obstacles without death gripping the brakes.

im about 40/60 mtb/road on my hours for the week. that said, this is my first year riding mtb so im still learning. ive been racing the mid atlantic superseries xc races. i won my first 2 cat3 races by over 1:30 at each, so i jumped up to cat2 and im like a mid pack finisher now. but those course are smooth and have flow with some rocky areas here and there. nothing like what this race was. im ok with picking lines and rolling stuff on the downhills just because i like going balls out like that, i death gripping cuz it was retarded steep and i didnt want to get my face up close and personal with the rocks lol on the flats it was def hard to keep my momentum up and i wasted a lot of energy fighting the rocks. i did exactly what you said and tried to let the suspension soak it up and it just killed my momentum. i did a little better when i was following someone elses line. but then i broke and that was the end of that.

#6478320 - 07/24/12 10:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

New PR for the Tuesday Night TT. 14.28 miles in 47:20 (previous best was 48:01). Average speed was 18.1 mph, which for me, is pretty decent considering there are a few decent-sized climbs where I'm honking up at 8.5-10mph.

The mountainbiking I've been doing lately definitely helped me charge a couple of the hills that I'd normally creep up.

Still slow for the entire group, but I'm creeping toward the top 2/3 now. \:\)

BTW--here's the course (from someone else's mapmyride)

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/74035454

#6485747 - 07/27/12 06:53 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
Back from the ride!

We had Temps of 100-110 all week, but Overall it was a great success...my cousin and I were riding like we were possessed, at times going 22-25 MPH for long stretches and passing 20-25 people up hills.

Tuesday was 82 miles and kicked my ass for half of the day with wind gusts up to 30 mph, being 6'4 and trying to ride into the wind really sucks.

RAGBRAI is a great time that offers the opportunity for small towns to put on some local festivities, eat really good home made pie at random churches and see the obscure person dressed in attire that doesn't belong on a bike ride.

I'd recommend it to anyone if you get a chance.

#6485882 - 07/27/12 08:41 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

nice! woulda liked to have been there. buddy on our racing team is a bianhci rep and was out there. looked like a blast
#6486333 - 07/28/12 08:44 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sounds epic. Glad it went well. \:\)

#6486460 - 07/28/12 11:00 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

2nd century this month in the books. 101.6 miles, 18.7 avg, 5 hours 27 minutes, avg. hr 148bpm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/203921972

Edited by nato2377 (07/28/12 11:01 AM)

#6488565 - 07/30/12 12:34 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm jealousy about the centuries. There's one century in this area for the whole year (The Flattest Century In The East). This year, all 2000 spots filled up in one day. FFFFFFUUUUU

As for riding, I pulled a PR on my 32-mile loop on Saturday--31.33mi in 1:49:03, 17.25 average (How much time to I have to spend at 20-22mph to get that average up?!). The last 9 miles of it were in a monsoon, but was no biggie as the wind was at my back and the rain kept me from overheating.

#6489242 - 07/30/12 12:19 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
1st-hybrid Offline
Major Member

Loc: Ri,USA
Just found this thread. I rode this loop on Saturday morning.. I know I can go faster, but a couple of the climbs on this one were rough:

This is a 25.27 mi Bike Ride in Pascoag, RI. The Bike Ride has a total ascent of 780.84 ft and has a maximum elevation of 790.68 ft

It took me just over 1.40...I'm either going to try and go faster this weekend or step it up and do a 30 mile ride.

I'm just starting to get more serious about riding my road bike and need some gear. Where do you guys get your stuff?

#6489275 - 07/30/12 12:28 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: 1st-hybrid]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
If anyone is looking for a nice, inexpensive bike bag - I used this all week and it worked well.

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Excursion-R...avenir+bike+bag

#6489321 - 07/30/12 12:41 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: g@mby
I'm jealousy about the centuries. There's one century in this area for the whole year (The Flattest Century In The East). This year, all 2000 spots filled up in one day. FFFFFFUUUUU

As for riding, I pulled a PR on my 32-mile loop on Saturday--31.33mi in 1:49:03, 17.25 average (How much time to I have to spend at 20-22mph to get that average up?!). The last 9 miles of it were in a monsoon, but was no biggie as the wind was at my back and the rain kept me from overheating.

you dont need a organized ride to do a century, just walk out the door and go ride 100 miles! thats what i did lol this one the past sat. i did solo. plugged in my ipod and just rolled.

#6492313 - 07/31/12 02:13 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 1st-hybrid

I'm just starting to get more serious about riding my road bike and need some gear. Where do you guys get your stuff?

For you, NBX is a great little bike shop with a rather cool staff. I get my shit at bike shops, ebay, amazon or Performance Cycle.

Originally Posted By: nato2377

you dont need a organized ride to do a century, just walk out the door and go ride 100 miles! thats what i did lol this one the past sat. i did solo. plugged in my ipod and just rolled.

Yeah, I'm tempted to do it sometime. The thought of doing it unsupported is a bit daunting. My longest unsupported solo ride is only 62 miles. I suppose with my 2L Camelbak, 2 bottles and some energy bars/gels, I could ride 100 without much concern. The trick would be finding a suitable route locally.

Meanwhile, another TT tonight, weather permitting. Cloudy, but the rain is supposed to hold off til 10PM or so...

#6492416 - 07/31/12 02:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
1st-hybrid Offline
Major Member

Loc: Ri,USA

For you, NBX is a great little bike shop with a rather cool staff. I get my shit at bike shops, ebay, amazon or Performance Cycle.

I'll have to look them up. I was actually just about to order two new jerseys from Performance cycle. I was also looking at some of their indoor trainers...they seem like steals when compared to local shops.

#6492554 - 07/31/12 03:09 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah, I'm tempted to do it sometime. The thought of doing it unsupported is a bit daunting. My longest unsupported solo ride is only 62 miles. I suppose with my 2L Camelbak, 2 bottles and some energy bars/gels, I could ride 100 without much concern. The trick would be finding a suitable route locally.

Meanwhile, another TT tonight, weather permitting. Cloudy, but the rain is supposed to hold off til 10PM or so...

yeah if you can do 62, you got 100. i had my 100oz camelback for this one cuz i didnt want to stop to refill my bottles so often, 2 bottles of hammer perpetum, and 2 cliff bars. legs felt great. gl at the TT tonight

#6493139 - 07/31/12 05:50 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
2 bottles of hammer perpetum

That stuff is naaasty, still have a half full container from around 2006. It's yours if you pay shipping \:\)

#6493409 - 07/31/12 07:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
ugh took a spill on mtb this weekend (bump at bottom of drop pulled right bar out of hand) - ugh i remember when I liked having skin on my knee and elbow
#6493470 - 07/31/12 08:02 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

That stuff is naaasty, still have a half full container from around 2006. It's yours if you pay shipping \:\)

what flavor do you have? i have mocha and it tastes like watered down coffee milk. its not terrible, just different. but the shit works wonders though. that stuff from 2006 is probably no good anymore lol thanks for the offer though :P

#6493638 - 07/31/12 09:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

yeah if you can do 62, you got 100. i had my 100oz camelback for this one cuz i didnt want to stop to refill my bottles so often, 2 bottles of hammer perpetum, and 2 cliff bars. legs felt great. gl at the TT tonight

Well, day 1 of MS150 is 83.5, but that's heavily supported. I agree though, 62 vs. 100, not that much of a difference.

Not familiar with Hammer Perpetum. Sports drink???

TT was OK. 20 seconds slower than last week (47:40), but it was drizzly, so that's my excuse tonight. A GORGEOUS ~25 y/o triathlete named Becca blew by me on a hill. I chatted with her afterwards and she finished in ~40 min.

I'm still a slowpoke. \:\(

#6493648 - 07/31/12 09:08 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: 1st-hybrid]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'll have to look them up. I was actually just about to order two new jerseys from Performance cycle. I was also looking at some of their indoor trainers...they seem like steals when compared to local shops.

http://nbxbikes.com/

They're moving to a bigger facility in the near future AFAIK. In early June, I did a training ride for the MS150 that started at their shop. Nice folks.

I like supporting local shops, but I agree, some stuff is way too pricey.

#6493699 - 07/31/12 09:29 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

what flavor do you have? i have mocha and it tastes like watered down coffee milk. its not terrible, just different. but the shit works wonders though. that stuff from 2006 is probably no good anymore lol thanks for the offer though :P

I know it's not good anymore, I was just kidding around \:\)

I don't recall what flavour it was but I had a container of perpetuem and heed, they were both awful, especially the perpetuem since it was like chalk. I was using it when we were doing 24 hour races with only 4 guys but it was making me shit like mad. Hammer gel is the only supplement I take now, everything else is solid real food otherwise my stomach goes upside down.

#6494888 - 08/01/12 12:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Well, day 1 of MS150 is 83.5, but that's heavily supported. I agree though, 62 vs. 100, not that much of a difference.

Not familiar with Hammer Perpetum. Sports drink???

TT was OK. 20 seconds slower than last week (47:40), but it was drizzly, so that's my excuse tonight. A GORGEOUS ~25 y/o triathlete named Becca blew by me on a hill. I chatted with her afterwards and she finished in ~40 min.

I'm still a slowpoke. \:\(

perpetuem is basically a endurance fuel source that helps to minimalize lean muscle cannibalization, provide long lasting energy and helps buffer lactic acid

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/perpetuem.pp.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks

#6511705 - 08/08/12 02:02 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Knocked another 9 seconds off of my TT PR. Did it in 47:11 last night. It beat the FUCK out of me, though. Race pace and hills--FFFFUUUUU

Mapping out a super long ride for tomorrow. The pipe dream is to do a century, but we'll see how far I get.

I also stumbled upon a lesser-known local century that I'll likely ride in September. The one I initially wanted to do sold out 2000 spots in 24 hours. This one only had 130 riders total last year. Granted, it looks like it's gonna be hilly.

#6515341 - 08/09/12 08:51 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, didn't hit the century mark, but came respectably close:

This was my longest solo unsupported ride to date. Brought a TON of fluids with me (2 bottles, 2L camelback and a bottle stuffed into the big pouch on that). Still needed to refill at a store on the way. Much of this ride is in the middle of nowhere, so a general store is a blessing. Started in North Scituate RI on rt 116, headed to Johnston, RI on rt 14 and doubled back to past Moosup, CT on rt 14.

Today's ride was the three H's--hot, humid and hilly. Clearly, the TT riding has increased my climbing ability, because prior to it, a route this hilly would NEVER average out to 15.05mph. What sucks about the humidity is that I feel like I have a slight case of pneumonia now from breathing in that heavy air for all that time.

I had one flat almost at the farthest point out (ain't that always the case). When I looked at my rear tire, dumbass that I am didn't realize that it's almost down to the cords--the front was still perfect. Switched the front on the the rear and vice versa and took it back with no drama. That tire's done, though.

Here are a couple of pics from along the way:

Yoga will be in order tomorrow in order to reset my beaten-up body. Left hamstring was starting to act up at the very end and it's a bit tender now.

#6515429 - 08/09/12 09:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

good job, that is quite an accomplishment and an amazing distance especially with elevation. I actually think you're better off doing a couple rides at the 70/80 mile distance before pushing for that century.

High five, ass slap and bro fist to ya.

#6515678 - 08/09/12 11:33 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Spending the week getting my bike in order for shipping off to Kentucky on the 14th. Got a new aero bento box (the wedge shaped pack on the top tube) to hold my salt tabs, Sport Beans, and Shot Blocks. In my previous IM's I've used a gel flask mounted there, but have decided I hate gels with a passion. With the heat that ill have to deal with in Louisville, I'll really need to stay on top of my salt intake, so that bag makes it easy to get to.

Also got a new chain and some new latex tubes.

I know I won't be setting a PR on this course, but I'd love to average 20 over the 112 miles and suffer through a 4:30 or better marathon.

#6515719 - 08/10/12 12:16 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

good job, that is quite an accomplishment and an amazing distance especially with elevation. I actually think you're better off doing a couple rides at the 70/80 mile distance before pushing for that century.

High five, ass slap and bro fist to ya.

Thanks so much!!!

Yeah, the climbs didn't start to grate on me until mile 50 or so. Heading into CT, there were quite a few 1 mile grinds that were just like "when the fuck is this going to crest?!". I turned around when I was at the top of a climb and there was a "7% grade descent" sign that I sure in hell wasn't going to climb on the way back.

At mile 62, I hit the climbs that open my TT (this route went through that area). MUCH more challenging on 62-mile legs than on fresh legs, but then again, I wasn't racing anyone.

Mr. Mom--I still can't wrap my head around how you do that shit, and I TT with a bunch of tri-dorks. Amazing. \:\)

#6517211 - 08/10/12 03:19 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: motorboated sun of a bitch
Spending the week getting my bike in order for shipping off to Kentucky on the 14th. Got a new aero bento box (the wedge shaped pack on the top tube) to hold my salt tabs, Sport Beans, and Shot Blocks. In my previous IM's I've used a gel flask mounted there, but have decided I hate gels with a passion. With the heat that ill have to deal with in Louisville, I'll really need to stay on top of my salt intake, so that bag makes it easy to get to.

Also got a new chain and some new latex tubes.

I know I won't be setting a PR on this course, but I'd love to average 20 over the 112 miles and suffer through a 4:30 or better marathon.

damn i need to get a TT bike....

i have a 2 day stage race tomorrow. last road race of the year for me. 10 mile flat time trial and then 20 mile crit, then 54 mile road race on sun. borrowed some clip on aero bars so i dont get shelled in the TT. cat 4 winner did it in 21 minutes last year. im so fucked lol

#6517256 - 08/10/12 03:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Do it! \:D

Better pic from today:

#6517283 - 08/10/12 03:54 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
Looks great.

I mentioned to my wife the other day that I would like a TT bike. That conversation did not go well. Apparently three bikes should be enough for one person.

#6517327 - 08/10/12 04:16 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Mine would say the same if I wanted any other kind of bike.

#6517445 - 08/10/12 05:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: motorboated sun of a bitch
Do it! \:D

Better pic from today:

fuuuuuuuu!

#6517448 - 08/10/12 05:19 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: CrayCrayCrayCrayCray
Looks great.

I mentioned to my wife the other day that I would like a TT bike. That conversation did not go well. Apparently three bikes should be enough for one person.

im in the same boat. apparently 3 bikes, 2 motorcycles and a sti are enough toys for 1 guy \:D

#6517902 - 08/10/12 10:51 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
TheKing Offline
TurboTony
Post Master Supreme

i love that bento box. I've been looking for one similar (who makes yours).

Luckily for me I dont have to deal with hills just the wind off the ocean which can catch you both ways on longer rides some days. You can seriously get in a tempo and just ride forever down here.

#6518077 - 08/11/12 12:50 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: TheKing]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It's the Speedpack made by Dark Speed Works. It's really nice and has a rigid plastic liner in it that keeps its shape.

I despise the wind. One of the reasons I stopped riding PCH and stick to the trainer. \:D

#6518084 - 08/11/12 12:54 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CrayCrayCrayCrayCray
Looks great.

I'm up to four: "main" road bike, restomodded '84 Trek 400 road bike, singlespeed and mountainbike. A fifth might result in crucifixion. Also, I'm out of room (in this current garage configuration, at least)

That said, serious TT'ing merits a dedicated TT bike--especially for a rider who is already fast and can truly benefit from all of the aero (it wouldn't make enough of a difference for me--my issues are the climbs in my weekly TT)

Page 10 of 60 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads