Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Nailed it.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6445423 - 07/07/12 01:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
Rode 40 miles today in "feels like" 110 degree heat. Avg speed was 17.

I was pretty proud of that then reading this thread I realized we have some serious bikers on csi.

#6445673 - 07/07/12 04:57 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
40 miles in the heat is pretty serious. I woke up really early today to get a ride in before the heat, was out the door by 7:30 and home by 8:30. It was so hot and humid at 8am that I had to turn around.
#6446244 - 07/07/12 11:28 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lewis
Rode 40 miles today in "feels like" 110 degree heat. Avg speed was 17.

I was pretty proud of that then reading this thread I realized we ve some serious bikers on csi.

40 miles at 17mph is pretty damn good in my book! Hoping to throw down 40 tomorrow myself. The heat has broken a bit, so I'll be out there. My riding partner is having GI issues, so I'll likely be solo.

#6447375 - 07/08/12 09:48 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, his GI issues were settled by this morning and we ended up throwing down 34.14 miles in 2:10:57 15.64mph average on flat, minimally windy terrain. For as many stretches as we held 18-20mph, the average speed is disappointing.

Great ride, though. Felt fantastic.

#6451821 - 07/10/12 10:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, faster time for this weeks TT, although still nothing impressive.

14.3 miles in 48:01. The hills at the beginning and near the end are simply soul-crushing. Doing them at race pace just destroys me. The 35 mile/2 hour 10 min ride I did on Sunday was SO much easier on me.

The n00b I am figured out that I can shift 2 cogs higher near the crest and honk out of the saddle til the top so I could speed things up more. Got me into the descents faster. Clearly, it shaved some seconds.

Still fun, though. The intensity of it is a killer workout. Now if I weren't so damn slow...

#6460237 - 07/15/12 11:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Did a rather hardcore mountainbike ride on Saturday (with fellow CSi member "Stop Spying On Me"). 10.82 miles in 1.39.57 on a pretty hot, humid day. I consumed 3 liters of water, so that gives an idea of how much sweating I did. MapMyRide claimed 1032 calories burned.

This is my third mountain ride in the past couple of weeks and I'm pretty pleased with my stamina and my bikehandling. I haven't ridden mountain much at all in about 7 years. I'm hoping the intensity of the climbs will help my time trialing a bit.

Probably skipping this week's time trial because it's supposed to be 93 and humid as fuck on Tuesday.

#6460367 - 07/16/12 07:06 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I did a 38 mile mountain bike ride on saturday with lots of elevation gain as well, I did the entire thing at 90% of my race pace though. I have a 8 hour mountain race this up coming weekend that I am doing tag team, not looking forward to it with the heat and humidity, not to mention that the guys who have pre rode the course are saying it is killer, and not in a good way \:\(
#6460573 - 07/16/12 10:16 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have "Ragbrai" next week.

Going to get in a couple smaller rides this week so I can be decently rested.

http://ragbrai.com/routemaps/2012-route-maps/

#6460649 - 07/16/12 10:45 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: robbbby
I did a 38 mile mountain bike ride on saturday with lots of elevation gain as well, I did the entire thing at 90% of my race pace though. I have a 8 hour mountain race this up coming weekend that I am doing tag team, not looking forward to it with the heat and humidity, not to mention that the guys who have pre rode the course are saying it is killer, and not in a good way \:\(

Those kind of rides make any length road ride seem like a breeze. Crazy.

Looking forward to a post-ride report on this one. Sounds awesome.

#6461301 - 07/16/12 04:01 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Averaged 21.8 for the rolling 40k bike leg of the Olympic Tri I did last Sunday. It was in the low 90's and I lost my only bottle of fluids in the first mile, so I did the ride totally dry (no aid stations). My run suffered from it a bit as I have a hard time hydrating on the run and while normally I wouldn't need much on the run, I was already in the hole.

What I did realize is that I should be fine next month in Kentucky on the ride at least, but I'm really going to have to nail my hydration in order to survive the run in a respectable time.

#6461476 - 07/16/12 05:32 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
had a 17 mile mtb race on sunday at 8:45 am. got 14th in CAT2 (19-29) out of 25. i finished in 1 hour 48 minutes. 9.1 mph avg, 1800ft climb .avg. heartrate was 178bpm, max of 192. damn was i toasted at the end. i finished about 10 min behind the winners. cat 2 is no joke. i miss being CAT3 where i smoked everyone lol

Garmin Link
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/200051889

Edited by nato2377 (07/16/12 05:43 PM)

#6461479 - 07/16/12 05:34 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

nice man! i have a 40 mile mtb race on sunday with 4500ft of climb. ive never ridden more then 20 on my mtb so it should be interesting to say the least. from what im hearing its one of the most technical races in the area. cant wait!

#6461673 - 07/16/12 07:42 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377

nice man! i have a 40 mile mtb race on sunday with 4500ft of climb. ive never ridden more then 20 on my mtb so it should be interesting to say the least. from what im hearing its one of the most technical races in the area. cant wait!

Is it point to point or laps?
40 mile P2P would be my ideal race. That distance requires a bit of endurance and isn't and all out hammer fest, and without laps you don't constantly get stuck behind people.

#6461677 - 07/16/12 07:42 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

you doing all 7 days?

#6461717 - 07/16/12 08:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: nato2377

Is it point to point or laps?
40 mile P2P would be my ideal race. That distance requires a bit of endurance and isn't and all out hammer fest, and without laps you don't constantly get stuck behind people.

its 1, 40 mile lap

#6462182 - 07/16/12 11:30 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

you doing all 7 days?

4 days, I've done it in the past and rode maybe 1/10th of the miles beforehand on an old mountain bike so I should do a lot better this year. I'm riding with my younger cousin who is an absolute animal when it comes to anything cardio. He's going to destroy all of us.

I need to go out tomorrow and get a luggage rack and bag, also apparently a new seat post as I have a CF post and that's a big no no clamping the luggage rack to the CF post I was told.

#6462222 - 07/17/12 12:01 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mr. Mom (prude)
Averaged 21.8 for the rolling 40k bike leg of the Olympic Tri I did last Sunday. It was in the low 90's and I lost my only bottle of fluids in the first mile,

Sick average speed, but might you have benefitted from stopping to pick up the dropped bottle?

Otherwise, it might be camelbak time.

#6462274 - 07/17/12 01:04 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby
 Originally Posted By: Mr. Mom (prude)
Averaged 21.8 for the rolling 40k bike leg of the Olympic Tri I did last Sunday. It was in the low 90's and I lost my only bottle of fluids in the first mile,

Sick average speed, but might you have benefitted from stopping to pick up the dropped bottle?

Otherwise, it might be camelbak time.

Nah....stopping would have been a PITA (and dangerous too since it was a narrow downhill section and there were quite a few people heading out on the bike. I probably would have only drank half of it anyways, and I don't think it would have made my run that much faster in the end....probably just a little more comfortable.

#6462332 - 07/17/12 05:39 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

you doing all 7 days?

4 days, I've done it in the past and rode maybe 1/10th of the miles beforehand on an old mountain bike so I should do a lot better this year. I'm riding with my younger cousin who is an absolute animal when it comes to anything cardio. He's going to destroy all of us.

I need to go out tomorrow and get a luggage rack and bag, also apparently a new seat post as I have a CF post and that's a big no no clamping the luggage rack to the CF post I was told.

4 days is still killer and lots of riding. Have fun with it and grab some bag balm for your taint.

#6462443 - 07/17/12 08:42 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

you doing all 7 days?

4 days is still killer and lots of riding. Have fun with it and grab some bag balm for your taint.

I might just dip my whole body in that stuff.

It's a "fun" ride, lots of food everywhere and lots of stops. Some people get drunk every night and then ride, no idea how they do that.

#6462565 - 07/17/12 09:41 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Pro-tip: put a bunch of body glide directly on the pad of your shorts. Lasts longer than just on your skin. ;\)

you doing all 7 days?

I might just dip my whole body in that stuff.

It's a "fun" ride, lots of food everywhere and lots of stops. Some people get drunk every night and then ride, no idea how they do that.

#6462587 - 07/17/12 09:52 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm a big proponent of Chamois Butt'r. Smear on taint and smear where taint contacts shorts chamois. No saddle sores/chafing for me evAr. I use it on any ride that I know is going to be more than 25 miles.

#6462887 - 07/17/12 11:29 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I'm a big proponent of Chamois Butt'r. Smear on taint and smear where taint contacts shorts chamois. No saddle sores/chafing for me evAr. I use it on any ride that I know is going to be more than 25 miles.

That stuff is awful, i've used it in the past. Bag balm is the only way to go since it is an antiseptic.

#6462992 - 07/17/12 12:09 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I don't like the "wet" feel of chamois butter. Body Glide is much less noticeable and does a better job of lasting a whole 6 hour ride plus 4 hour run.

#6463294 - 07/17/12 02:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

dznuts is the best stuff ive used to date. love that stuff. its like a menthol cream for junk
#6464174 - 07/17/12 09:28 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
moved up to the next class in the weekly crit series. ugh do those surges hurt - especially right after you just took a turn out front

puke!

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#6464364 - 07/17/12 11:54 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

That stuff is awful, i've used it in the past. Bag balm is the only way to go since it is an antiseptic.

I have thousands of miles with it and I have zero issues. Hell, they sponsor the RI MS150 and most people who use it see it as a godsend.

"Wet" isn't much of an issue for me, as the sweat factor far outnumbers any wetness of the cream.

To each his own. That said, I'm open to trying Bag Balm as my most recent tub of Chamois Butt'r is about to kick.

#6470897 - 07/20/12 08:38 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Bought some bag balm, all packed up and ready to roll!

#6473115 - 07/22/12 05:59 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Lewis]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

holy shit this hurt today. picture a wet, moss covered rock garden for 35 miles and that was this race. took me 5 hours and 55 minutes. dude that won did it in 3hours and 44 minutes. wtf.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202063781

this was the race. no joke.

Edited by nato2377 (07/22/12 07:58 PM)

#6473309 - 07/22/12 08:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

looks fun, my kind of race.

I did a 8 hour mtb race tag team this weekend. I ended up riding 44 miles and was banging out lap times that I was really happy with, especially considering I did no riding in the 5 days prior to the race

#6475070 - 07/23/12 03:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

yeah...fun would not be what i use to describe this one lol ive been racing on nice smooth flowy XC single track all year. i needed a freaking downhill bike for this course. i was bottoming out my suspension everywhere. before this race ive only ridden 19 miles at most on the mtb, so this was a nice jump in that

mtb relays are sweet. i did one at the start of the year and its what got me hooked on mtb. 44 miles is no joke though, nice!

#6475128 - 07/23/12 04:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, those rocks don't seem to constitute a "trail". WAY too gnarly for my tastes. I'd think a freeride bike would be a must.

#6475143 - 07/23/12 04:23 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

yeah it def would have helped. dudes were bombing past me on the downhills and im like "how in the hell...".. some of the downhills were so steep i had both brake levers pulled to the handlebars and i was still sliding down the hill and had the rear wheel in the air after any little bump. some of the uphills i could barely walk up. i saw 38% grade on my garmin on the one kicker.
next time im doing the 20 mile loop lol

#6475447 - 07/23/12 07:13 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

do you do a lot of xc riding or more road?

No doubt that trail looks gnarly but if most of your time spent riding is on the road switching to that kind of riding is definitely going to be difficult. It takes lots of practice and repetition to get good at really maneuvering a mountain bike up and over that type of stuff smoothly without just smashing into it and letting the suspension soak it up. Same with downhills, it's all about picking a good line and being confident to let the bike roll over the obstacles without death gripping the brakes.

Page 9 of 60 « First<7891011>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads