Page 8 of 60 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#6395418 - 06/10/12 02:36 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
shitty. good time to relax and have a couple beers and tylenol 3's \:\)
#6396435 - 06/11/12 09:54 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Damn dude, glad to hear you're okay.

Feel free to share the whole story once you're all healed up. Was this preventable?

#6396897 - 06/11/12 12:45 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
 Originally Posted By: shamrok
http://imgur.com/a/usQbq

you can see crack in top tube in the T, on both sides
another smaller bit of rash on left knee, right thigh has a small amount, but didn't rip up bib.

my back feels like rodney king

Fuck dude.

#6397943 - 06/11/12 08:04 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
it was 4 laps to go and there is a somewhat deceptive hill between turn 3 and 4, but its a good place to make ground and get yourself nice placement for the surge in the last few laps. I got around turn 4 and was probably in the top 5, come around turn 5 in the top 3 (which is a slight decent - 30mph with no work)

I grabbed the wheel in front of me, realized momentum was bringing me into him a little fast so i feathered brakes - next thing I know *POP* front tire blows out.

the rider behind me was from soundpony too and he thinks I blew out and wheel went and got caught in the skewer in front of me, or i'm thinking the blowout caused my tire to come off the seal and jam into my brakes and seize the wheel up. I was never knocked out - just dazed... but I had to take a bad piss right afterwards lol

annnnd really fucking sore - minus one tarmac

edit: the depressing thing is I was feeling great at this point - my heart had not gotten over 184 and was only around a 165 average and I was keeping with the front of the pack pretty easily

Because IRC is just filled with gems like this

#6398114 - 06/11/12 09:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Tubbies or clinchers?

#6398120 - 06/11/12 09:43 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

clinchers - but I've logged a chunk of miles on the same tires/tubes with no problems.

more I think about it when I was making ground between turns 4 and 5 I had to take a tight line inside and probably picked a bit of debris or something

#6398297 - 06/11/12 11:13 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

sigh -
RIP again dear friend (excuse the reddit kit)

#6398378 - 06/12/12 12:05 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
\:\(

still have an EM1--go figure

#6414914 - 06/20/12 04:08 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

New bike, found 2011 allez for dirt cheap. Tarmac components all moved over. Week and a half without a bike was miserable!

#6420830 - 06/23/12 04:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
some pics of today. cat4 race. .8 mile circuit, 25 laps. got 5th after attempting a solo breakaway with 5 laps to go. got caught with 3 to go. last lap was blazing 29.8 mph avg, 456 watts and 193 hr according to my garmin. bright yellow shoes is me

#6421768 - 06/24/12 02:40 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That looks scary as shit. :D. Maybe that's why I prefer to hunker down in aero and go straight. \:D

#6421903 - 06/24/12 04:26 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Here
 Originally Posted By: Mr. Mom (prude)
That looks scary as shit. :D. Maybe that's why I prefer to hunker down in aero and go straight. \:D

I haven't raced in a crit since last year. We had a guy suffer a serious head injury in one last June and never go home - three weeks in the hospital before they took him off life support. Then had another guy break both a hip and a wrist in a crash in September. Obviously broken bones are not as bad as being dead, but the broken wrist meant no crutches. Spent more than a month in a wheelchair. Since I had a kid on the way, decided I wasn't going to take that risk any more.

I really do enjoy it, but at the same time I would chicken out at times about mixing it up in the pack at 30+ mph. I think I'll just stick to cross.

#6422069 - 06/24/12 07:01 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

ive actually been racing mountain bikes primarily this year...im doing to stage races the rest of the year and hopefully getting enough pts to upgrade to cat3. gotta stay at the front to stay out of trouble!
#6422377 - 06/24/12 10:54 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, that's WAY too gnarly for me. I don't have balls that big or brass.

I'm gonna try a local shop time trial soon, though. They run them every Tuesday night, but this Tuesday looks like it's going to be a bit rainy. I'm just curious to see how far from last I can come in.

Rode 2 hours in the woods on the MTB today--cardio hell.

#6425235 - 06/26/12 12:36 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

3 wide at 27mph

#6426510 - 06/26/12 11:10 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sick pics. Still too nuts for me. Plus, I'm just too damn slow.

I did that LBS weekly TT tonight. A hilly 14.3 mile course (brutal at times). I did it in 48:27 ("organizer's" iphone said 51:xx, I'll see for sure when they post results). I wasn't DFL, but the 2 people behind me were WAY behind me, so I might as well have been DFL.

That said, it was fun and a nice, challenging change of pace that was really laid-back. A (chick) friend of mine from the MS150 was slaying people on megadollar TT bikes on her midrange Fuji road bike with clip-on aero bars and SPD sandals (yes, you read that right). She did it in 41.xx. She has incredible quads and has done a bunch of Ironmans. Good to see a friendly face at my first "race" (as casual as it was).

I'm pretty wrecked right now. Not used to going that intensely.

#6426512 - 06/26/12 11:12 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job. Keep at it and I bet you a $100 you'll have a TT rig in your stable in no time. \:D

#6426538 - 06/26/12 11:22 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice job. Keep at it and I bet you a $100 you'll have a TT rig in your stable in no time. \:D

Thanks. Nah, I think my wife would crucify me if another bike entered my garage without one leaving.

I do think the road bike will be getting a healthy dose of carbon/lighter parts in the next year, though. \:\)

#6426747 - 06/27/12 03:57 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm doing two stage races here in the next two months so ill get to test my TT skills. Mom, should I borrow a TT bike, use road bike, or road with clip on aero bars? What do you think? My cat3 buddy did a TT on a borrowed TT bike and he said he should have just used the road bike and he woulda been faster. I'm leaning towards just road bike and using the drops
#6426789 - 06/27/12 07:39 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

For me, the bike wouldn't make much of a difference. For you, it probably would, assuming you could get used to the aero position.

#6426996 - 06/27/12 09:24 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, you'd need to make sure you have a good fit and that you could hold a nice low position for the duration of the race. There is no denying the aero benefit (at any speed) but if you can't make your normal power in that position, it won't do you much good.

You might just try some clip on aero bars.

#6427043 - 06/27/12 09:47 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377
I'm doing two stage races here in the next two months so ill get to test my TT skills. Mom, should I borrow a TT bike, use road bike, or road with clip on aero bars? What do you think? My cat3 buddy did a TT on a borrowed TT bike and he said he should have just used the road bike and he woulda been faster. I'm leaning towards just road bike and using the drops

I would say it depends on the distance and the elevation changes. The shorter the distance, the less meaningful any aero advantage becomes. And if it is hilly, you aren't going to in TT position while climbing that much anyway.

When I am not doing a Merckx category time trial (i.e. where a crit legal bike is required), I have a set of clip on aero bars and a fast forward seatpost with a spare saddle that I throw on. They definitely do make a difference. If they have omnium awards and you really think you could be in the money, I would try to get my hands on something more than just a road bike.

#6427440 - 06/27/12 12:26 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Sir Ironpool]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Yeah, you'd need to make sure you have a good fit and that you could hold a nice low position for the duration of the race. There is no denying the aero benefit (at any speed) but if you can't make your normal power in that position, it won't do you much good.

You might just try some clip on aero bars.

yeah i think that was my buds problem. didnt have the fit dialed in and couldnt make the power

#6427447 - 06/27/12 12:30 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: CheeseGoggles

I would say it depends on the distance and the elevation changes. The shorter the distance, the less meaningful any aero advantage becomes. And if it is hilly, you aren't going to in TT position while climbing that much anyway.

When I am not doing a Merckx category time trial (i.e. where a crit legal bike is required), I have a set of clip on aero bars and a fast forward seatpost with a spare saddle that I throw on. They definitely do make a difference. If they have omnium awards and you really think you could be in the money, I would try to get my hands on something more than just a road bike.

thats another reason why i asked. they are pretty short. 8 and 10 miles i believe for my cat. the 10 mile one has some little hills but nothing major, the 8 mile one has like 47 ft of total elevation change. i definitely believe i can be top 5 or at least 10 GC, top 5 pays out money. ill see if i can bum clip ons if not ill just use the drops and get low at possible or improvise a tt position with my arms on the bars like i had aero bars

#6427763 - 06/27/12 02:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CheeseGoggles

thats another reason why i asked. they are pretty short. 8 and 10 miles i believe for my cat. the 10 mile one has some little hills but nothing major, the 8 mile one has like 47 ft of total elevation change. i definitely believe i can be top 5 or at least 10 GC, top 5 pays out money. ill see if i can bum clip ons if not ill just use the drops and get low at possible or improvise a tt position with my arms on the bars like i had aero bars

10 miles and mostly flat - do it with the aero bars if possible. I bet it is worth 2+ minutes over that distance if you can get a decent position. If you go with the clip-ons, remember that you will need to move your saddle. It will need to go forward to open your hip angle back up, and I think you will want to raise it a bit too.

#6428090 - 06/27/12 04:53 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: Cheesegoggles]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

So it seems like it's worth having a second post with a second seat in the forward position, with the proper height marked off, huh?

#6428096 - 06/27/12 04:57 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

BTW--I'm a bit shocked at the toll race pace had on my body (legs) compared to my regular pace. I was REALLY sore this morning. Clearly, I need to ramp up my intensity a bit.

New goal is to do my regular 18-mile loop in an hour flat. My best is 1:03 so far.

#6429716 - 06/28/12 12:37 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
Cheesegoggles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby
So it seems like it's worth having a second post with a second seat in the forward position, with the proper height marked off, huh?

That is what I did. I had a couple of days where I had a time trial in the morning and a crit in the afternoon. The extra post makes swapping between the two super easy.

Easier yet is just buying a time trial bike

#6436616 - 07/02/12 08:49 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Did a 24 hour relay race last weekend, they took 11k+ photos at the event, unfortunately wasn't too many of me, i'm cheap though and wouldn't buy the full res. pictures anyways. Tons of fun though, 85km total for me over the 24 hour period.

#6439614 - 07/04/12 09:52 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
shamrok Offline
Post Master Sr

30mph paceline with a bunch of 2/1's this morning
hung on for dear life

PUKE

#6440066 - 07/04/12 01:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: shamrok]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

6 hours 8 minutes, 109 miles, 6363ft of climb, 17.9 avg. 100 degree temps. im toasted
#6440769 - 07/04/12 11:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

6 hours 8 minutes, 109 miles, 6363ft of climb, 17.9 avg. 100 degree temps. im toasted

Jesus CHRIST I can't come anywhere near that average speed--even in the flats. Over that mileage? Cray.

I did that local TT again and was slower than last week. 14.3 miles in 49:50 (last week was 48:27). A lot of decent climbs that kicked my ass again.

I'm just slow. No getting away from it. \:\(

#6442144 - 07/05/12 03:49 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Jesus CHRIST I can't come anywhere near that average speed--even in the flats. Over that mileage? Cray.

I did that local TT again and was slower than last week. 14.3 miles in 49:50 (last week was 48:27). A lot of decent climbs that kicked my ass again.

I'm just slow. No getting away from it. \:\(

wasnt to bad for the first 62 miles until my buddy dropped out and i had to do the rest of the ride solo. first 28 miles were pretty flat and we had a 24mph avg through them. hes not a climber so waiting for him once the hills came killed me avg. i had a 18 avg for 100 but the last 9 i just soft pedaled it home cuz the heat was getting to me.

might be slow now but keep riding and youll get faster. when i started 2 years ago i could barely get through a 20 mile ride at 16mph avg

#6442929 - 07/05/12 11:41 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

might be slow now but keep riding and youll get faster. when i started 2 years ago i could barely get through a 20 mile ride at 16mph avg

I'm three years in and while my stamina is WAY better, my speed never got all that impressive.

There is something to be said for natural athletic ability--of which I have very little.

#6443021 - 07/06/12 05:47 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: gamby]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

There is something to be said for natural athletic ability--of which I have very little.

True. When it comes to cycling there are two kinds of riders, thoroughbreds and donkeys. Thoroughbreds are just naturally fast, the guys who can hop on a bike after not riding for a month and put you to shame, the kind of guys who are just bullets on a bike and make you wonder how in the fuck? And then their is the rest of us, donkeys. We can train and train and train but no matter what we do or how much we train we will never be fast like the above guys. We may train to become fast donkeys but at the end of the day we are still donkeys.
Genetics and luck of the draw, you can't pick your parents!

Page 8 of 60 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads