Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9695095 - 12/08/19 01:30 PM What game console do I need (v. kids)
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Keep in mind I don't know the first thing about gaming consoles. With that said I am looking for a setup for the game "Just Dance" or whatever equivalent is there.

It seems this game is available for all consoles and they all work a little different, I have no idea what's ideal for kids under 5 for example.

The appealing one to me is The Xbox kinect since it has no remote that needs to be held when using the kinect to track movement/voice, but I have no idea how it compares to the Wii/Switch/whatever else is available.

I will most likely buy it used as there is a high chance it's not going to get much action and this is more of a trial than anything.

tots?

#9695113 - 12/08/19 02:04 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
stick with nintendo switch for kiddos. i think there's a new "light" version too.

xbox kinect is dead since awhile lol, it was shiiiit. MS ended all support and development for it. not sure if ppl still play the nintendo wii even.

"xbox one X" is the lastest model, but you can find "xbox one" cheaper still and it's not much worse.

ps4 is current and there are deals to be had, but it's also on the way out.

xmas 2020 next year both sony and xbox will bring out new consoles that'll be insanely powerful but also insane money lol.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9695115 - 12/08/19 02:17 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

For the switch you need to hold a remote for it to detect movement? How does that compare to whatever other variations are out there? Because I've never seen these IRL I am trying to figure out if some are more 'real' than the others where correct body movement maps better to the screen. Seems like a sensor like the kinect does a better job than a remote you hold in your hand, at first glance anyway.
#9695116 - 12/08/19 02:18 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

$800 for a used nintendo switch?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-nintendo-switch/sudbury/nintendo-switch-and-accessories/1473392178

guess Santa isn't coming this year, gtfo

#9695141 - 12/08/19 03:16 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
lmao.

naw man forget that, just get a new one on its own and a couple of used games from EB Games or kijiji. that dude selling price is on drugs.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-HDHSGAZAA...ps%2C164&sr=8-3

the lite is here new, cheaper of course. not sure what/how it plays vs the switch. i guess not for you cos it is just a handheld gaming device.

the switch, yes you can use like regular handheld console and use the screen on the "remote" itself or send that signal to the tv. then you can slide the "controllers" sides off and use it like a small controller to play. i *THINK* it also has axis's within it to play like a wii, but i'm not sure. Phoenix can prob chime in and advise.

reg switch is 399
https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Switch-Ne...75839536&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Switch-Ma...75839734&sr=8-5 (with MK8 but wtf price jumps a lot just for that) - hence i said find used games (assuming you can?)

you shoulda been buying this shit on black friday/cyber monday that just past man. i know one of them had a decent deal going on.

do not even bother with kinect man, as i said it is dead and was shit. i had one.

Edited by Screamin Type ARGH! (12/08/19 03:18 PM)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9695165 - 12/08/19 03:42 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

The "lite" version is a no go, not looking for a mobile device.

$400 to dance a couple of times, nope.

This is literally a throw away buy, meaning I am more certain than not it will be useless in my house, I thought there is a solution for "just dance" that could be picked up cheap while everyone else is upgrading consoles to see if there is interest in it at home.

#9695172 - 12/08/19 03:51 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Nintendo Switch is a great device for the kids. Although I will speak from experience that once you buy it for the kids, they will be addicted. Try to avoid buying any consoles for the kid, or any electronic gadgets until they are older. IMO, it's best to avoid any electronics for them.

#9695205 - 12/08/19 05:40 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good call, we don't really allow phone/tv use at home, maybe 30 mins tops if we need to get shit done. Figured instead of watching cocomelon she could do the dance thing. Could be a downward spiral tho.
#9695345 - 12/09/19 06:05 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
or perhaps enroll her into a dance class? that way she can make new friends, be active and you'll get to mingle w/ the other parents during the class

#9695349 - 12/09/19 06:30 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

already enrolled...
#9695386 - 12/09/19 08:15 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
It sounds like OP is really only interested in Just Dance and if there was a standalone option, that would be ideal.

Another option is to go with something like the PS3. They can typically be had for $50. Games are usually between $10-$20. Having said that, the PS3 does use a wand for its motion tracking, not sure how other console's work

If you wanted to take it a step further, get the PS3 modded and never pay for a game, just download them (I know this isn't really appealing to OP, just throwing it out there).

Edit:

Here's the console for $40 - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-playstation-3/mississauga-peel-region/ps3-controller/1476610730

Camera and wands for $100 - https://www.kijiji.ca/v-playstation-3/city-of-toronto/ps3-camera-and-controllers/1476028042

Here's are a couple of package deals with console, wands, camera and controllers

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-playstation-3/city-of-toronto/playstation-3-with-move/1476417392

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-playstation-3/oshawa-durham-region/sony-playstation-3-ps3/1476064135

Edited by SuPeR-MaRiO (12/09/19 08:29 AM)

#9695421 - 12/09/19 09:10 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Exactly the info I was looking for.

Now that I know what I need, do you think these controllers will work for a kid under 3? They seem pretty bulky. Totally down to try it.

#9695426 - 12/09/19 09:12 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Buying used consoles is always a .... Risky .... venture.
#9695438 - 12/09/19 09:23 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Care to elaborate?
#9695455 - 12/09/19 09:28 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
There's a lot of broken, junk, bricked, repaired crap out there. Not to mention stuff that's been blacklisted and won't be able to connect online. Not dissimilar from phones (which I would also never buy used).

I'd ask friends or coworkers if they have one to sell. Never an online stranger.

#9695481 - 12/09/19 09:44 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
do you think these controllers will work for a kid under 3? They seem pretty bulky.

They're not too bulky to be honest, but for a 3 year old anything that isn't catered for that age will appear bulky. All in all, I think it will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Eduardo_82
There's a lot of broken, junk, bricked, repaired crap out there. Not to mention stuff that's been blacklisted and won't be able to connect online. Not dissimilar from phones (which I would also never buy used).

I'd ask friends or coworkers if they have one to sell. Never an online stranger.

Doesn't this apply to almost anything you buy used, especially electronics? You have to do your own due diligence and gauge your comfort level with the seller. If they're able to demo the product, even better.

#9695771 - 12/09/19 02:51 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
vas, where you want to be is a wii u. it's been out for a little bit, it's nintendo's last console and is in the $150 area new. just buy another used controller so that you can play with her.

it's also compatible with the origional wii games, the classics like bowling. kids love it because even your daughter now will understand how to use it, so you can get the classics like wii bowling, tennis, golf, fishing in a pond, riding a cow etc lol....and you can get just dance.

my daughter has played it all her life, it's more of a electric board game really and it gets kids up and moving and occupied indoors which can be hard to do.

#9695869 - 12/09/19 05:19 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: titty sprinkles]
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Just dance was even out on the regular nintendo Wii. If you wanna consider going that old, I have a system with the balance board and Just Dance and about 10 other games. Message me

#9695926 - 12/09/19 07:08 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Cee_mon]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
just play music videos on youtube, shine flashlight behind her so the shadow looks like its dancing on screen with the video.

#9695945 - 12/09/19 07:31 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

vas just wants to dance.

Edited by titty sprinkles (12/09/19 07:32 PM)

#9696197 - 12/10/19 09:16 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
just play music videos on youtube, shine flashlight behind her so the shadow looks like its dancing on screen with the video.

Now that's legit!

All great suggestions, so PS3 or WII U, looks like same ballpark cost wise, one is more versatile but potentially more problematic (PS3). Also messaged Cee_mon, have some time to think about it.

Would be ideal to buy from someone I know though.

#9696199 - 12/10/19 09:18 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
vas just wants to dance.

Gotta start 'em young.

#9696260 - 12/10/19 10:26 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

There are a number of guys that do this on the side and for a lack of better terms have a reputation. Granted, they're more on the modding side but at least (a) they know the resale value of consoles (even non-modded ones) and aren't trying to rip you off and (b) are more reputable versus an average Joe selling his stuff.

#9696518 - 12/10/19 02:12 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

i got a ps3 for ya. trade you for some buckwheat.

#9696577 - 12/10/19 03:16 PM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

Now that's legit!

All great suggestions, so PS3 or WII U, looks like same ballpark cost wise, one is more versatile but potentially more problematic (PS3). Also messaged Cee_mon, have some time to think about it.

This one isn't even a joke. You're looking for a dancing game for the kid that ideally doesn't require any controller input other than motion capture. A lot, if not all of the just dance videos are on YouTube. My younger used to watch those videos and dance along. They don't care about getting points or motion capture. It's actually better this way because I believe those guys have some red indicator when you miss a dance move which might be discouraging for a young child. This way, you can be the indicator for your kids!

#9696985 - 12/11/19 10:05 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: 4Three]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

In reality, I think the YouTube option is the best one. I didn't realize that all the videos are on there.

I think OP should get his his kids to master this one first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4aGJWbVsNw

#9696998 - 12/11/19 10:24 AM Re: What game console do I need (v. kids) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
In reality, I think the YouTube option is the best one. I didn't realize that all the videos are on there.

I think OP should get his his kids to master this one first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4aGJWbVsNw

We did this last night, it actually worked out pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPVI3PH7AY

She followed along for half the time (not even close to what they were doing, but at least directionally the moves/tempo mapped what they did). It was also obligatory for me to participate \:\|

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads