Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#9327898 - 05/23/18 11:52 AM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: 4age]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Why don’t you bump start it btw? a starter is just a convenience XD

XD XD XD XD

#9327949 - 05/23/18 12:45 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: 4age]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: 4age
??? I thought the first gen was one of the best minis for reliability.
They have electronic throttle body failures (lol), but mostly, mechnically they are alright. Much better than 2nd gen, which oil starves and in fact burns oil like crazy, but there is no dip stick...so you can't tell how much has been consumed. And IIRC, the oil light isn't idiot proof - so it doesn't show low oil warnings until it is too late.

Plus...that s/c. It would be a fun as hell second car.

Are you nuts? I'm positive the first gens. were the absolute worse. Since the second gen. they have been built by Magna and seem to be 'better'.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9328221 - 05/23/18 05:31 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: Hatorade]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Pretty sure not nuts. I looked at minis as second car 😂

XD XD XD XD

#9328223 - 05/23/18 05:34 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: 4age]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

What haven’t you looked at? L O L

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9328436 - 05/23/18 10:49 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: phoenixrage]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
rarely see the starter ground cable go.. but it does happen.

on BMW's its mostly the body-exhaust ground wires that rust out first. or engine to engine mount/chassis...

I'll try and snap a pic of the corroded wire in taking about. But I'm fairly certain the car is grounding fine. The ground wire in the engine bay isn't even remotely corroded. Whereas the starter wire looks really bad. And the starter is definitely getting power cuz it sparked on me when I was checking continuity.

I might need a power steering pump fan from you Ed. Mine seems pretty seized atm but I might take it apart and see if I can free it up. I'm more concerned with getting it started first.

Originally Posted By: 4age
Why don’t you bump start it btw? a starter is just a convenience XD

I was worried that if it didn't start then I'd be up shits creek at the bottom of a hill with no way to get it back in the garage lol. I have thought about bump starting tho.

It's not the fastest car in the world but that go kart like feel is hella fun. Plus low end torque is something I haven't known in a long time. Last bunch of cars were all NA 4 bangers

#9341542 - 06/12/18 08:04 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: Raocorp]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

For anyone interested, some pics.

I put the car up a couple of weeks ago and started the tear down

Wheels off and ready to work:

This is what the starter looked like when I took it out. No wonder it didn't start the jump wire to the solenoid is totally disconected:

Then a quick test drive to home depot:

It wasn't shifting properly when I last drove it last year, I thought it was the clutch but turns out it was only a really gummed up shifter linkage. Some wd40 and compressed air cleared it out and it's fine now. Need to find a long term solution because wd40 doesn't really last long. Lithium grease should work. But i'll get to that after a pulley upgrade I have planned in a few weeks. I missed driving it, bottom end torque is wonderful. Such a fun car to drive. Hate all you want, I love it.

#9341546 - 06/12/18 08:10 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: Raocorp]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

WD40 is NOT a lubricant...

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9341557 - 06/12/18 08:38 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: Hatorade]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
dude if you like the car then that's all that matters. just like miatas \:D

#9342037 - 06/13/18 05:30 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: titty sprinkles]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
that lift you have - it looks interesting. care to provide details of it?

#9342045 - 06/13/18 05:41 PM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: c2k]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: c2k
that lift you have - it looks interesting. care to provide details of it?

It's called QuickJack.
Funny thing about this is I was going to buy one direct from the company. Then I found that Costco was selling it, and way cheaper than if I bought it direct.

https://m.costco.ca/Quickjack-BL-5000SLX....100401764.html

^ that's the one. I love it. Obviously you're still using a creeper but it's safer and easier than a jack and stands. For reference I bought mine in store for $1199.00. The price went up a bit from when I bought it. Was $1299 online when I bought...which was first week of April.

I believe QuickJack is owned by Bendpak now. I put the jack stand under it just because. Was my first time using it so for added safety I put the stand. It has safety locks already tho but can never be too safe.

#9342271 - 06/14/18 06:56 AM Re: Anyone know how to tell if key has lost immobilizer code? [Re: Raocorp]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads