Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9269555 - 03/05/18 04:45 PM Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera
Gooneryoda Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Sawkmeighkoch, CA
Sony’s new A7 III is a $2,000 full-frame mirrorless camera that should terrify Canon and Nikon

Sony spent 2017 releasing pricey powerhouse cameras like the A9, but today the company announced one that sounds almost as good at half the price. The new full-frame A7 III splits the difference between the pixel-packed A7R III and the A7S II, the company’s low light and video king. It boasts big-time speed and just about everything else you could ask for, all for $1,999 (body only) when it ships in April.

The A7 III is being positioned by Sony as the “basic full-frame model” of its mirrorless camera lineup. But the new shooter is anything but. The centerpiece of the A7 III is a brand new backside illuminated 24.2-megapixel sensor with 5-axis optical image stabilization.

more here:
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/...cs-release-date

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#9270259 - 03/06/18 11:55 AM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: Gooneryoda]
10PlanesCrashing
Unregistered

Sony is making huge moves...i'm seeing people move in droves from canon/nikon.
#9271209 - 03/07/18 11:45 AM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: ]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
Looks like a great camera, but I'm really glad to have the higher-res EVF in the RIII, as well as no AA filter (they haven't actually said whether it has one or not, but it's likely that it does as manufacturers generally tout the lack of one, so most are assuming it does at this time). Really curious that it gets everything from the new bodies in terms of buttons and joystick and battery but it goes with a non-locking mode dial. I find the locking dial on the RIII a PITA. It doesn't get moved unintentionally IME with the OG 7R.

The lens lineup is pretty mature now unless you're a pro wildlife or sports shooter looking for really long, fast glass. Pricier than their CaNikon counterparts though, sadly. Their lenses are top notch though, and they have lines that cater to people who are MF die-hards. I have the Batis 18 (probably selling soon, just not better enough than the wide zooms), Loxia 21 (which is phenomenal, it's one of those you just never even consider parting with because it's just perfect from corner to corner, I try to use it even when it's not wide enough by stitching frames together since it's so damn good), Batis 25 (great, focuses really close and the bokeh is great for a wide lens), 35 2.8 (tiny, sharp, little too much CA for my liking but what can you do), 55 1.8 (same as 35 but even sharper and even more CA sadly), Batis 85 (does OK on bokeh, razor sharp as a landscape lens), and the 16-35/4, which is fine but I'll be selling it along with the 18 soon to try the 2.8 version as I'm looking for better corner sharpness. Tried two copies of the 12-24 but found both of mine decentered. Still rocking an old 70-200 2.8 Sigma that is a brick but is super sharp and it's my least used focal range so I'm still sticking with it, but I may go for something native once I have the UWA zoom situation settled.

Fucking expensive hobby, but going for walks on the weekend and taking crappy photos is very enjoyable. I could have a much nicer fun car if it weren't for photography.

#9271210 - 03/07/18 11:50 AM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: tylerdurden]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and I'm sure the high-ISO performance on the 7III will be fantastic. I can't believe how good the RIII is, and that's at 42MP. At web sizes, with a little work, you can barely tell the difference between ISO 100 and 10K. No hyperbole, I've tested it. Noise is really natural and film-like too, unlike Canon sensors.
#9275007 - 03/13/18 12:58 AM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: tylerdurden]
01Ryan10 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Orange, CA.
Looks like a good camera. It's just about as good as my 2 year old X-T2 only twice the price with very high GM lens prices.
#9275777 - 03/13/18 06:44 PM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: 01Ryan10]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just about as good with a FF sensor, much better AF, better battery life, wider lens selection, better video, better high-ISO performance etc etc lol.
#9276986 - 03/14/18 11:09 PM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: tylerdurden]
01Ryan10 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Orange, CA.
 Originally Posted By: tylerturdenhard
Just about as good with a FF sensor, much better AF, better battery life, wider lens selection, better video, better high-ISO performance etc etc lol.

For what i shoot, landscape, yes...just as good.

#9277009 - 03/14/18 11:38 PM Re: Thoughts on Sony’s new A7 III full-frame mirrorless camera [Re: 01Ryan10]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Probably close for that use. Same megapickles, though the Sony has bigger pickles, but the Fuji has no AA filter and the Sony probably does. RIII has all the pickles plus pickle shift. I'm used to the 36MP sensor on the OG R and the 42MP sensor is still noticeably better for landscape use.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads