Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

If you're worried about big brother should have went with the Ecobee
#9225559 - 01/05/18 09:39 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Wildout]
CIVIC dude Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Anyone read the terms for this program:

3. The Participant confirms that they have not removed (or have not permitted the removal of) the thermostat currently in use at the Property at the time of submitting the Participant’s Program application, and Participant agrees not to remove (or permit the removal) of the thermostat currently in use at the Property prior to the in-home installation.

Hmm that's odd. But wait there's more....

4. The Participant acknowledges and agrees that all right, title and interest in and to all benefits or entitlements associated with decreased environmental impacts now or in the future, direct or indirect, arising as a result of, relating to or in connection with the electricity savings or demand savings for which the Thermostats or other energy efficient devices and products have been provided, and the right to quantify and register these, including without limitation, any energy efficiency certificate, renewable energy certificate, credit, reduction right, offset, allocated pollution
right, and emission reduction allowance (collectively, the “Environmental Attributes”) are hereby transferred and assigned, or to the extent transfer or assignment is not permitted, held in trust in favour of Green Ontario Fund. Green Ontario Fund shall be entitled, unilaterally and without the Participant’s consent to deal with such Environmental Attributes in any manner it determines. The Participant further acknowledges and agrees that Green Ontario Fund may direct the Participant to take such actions and do all such things necessary to certify, obtain, qualify and register with the relevant authorities or agencies such Environmental Attributes for the purpose of transferring, assigning, or holding in trust, such Environmental Attributes to and for Green Ontario Fund. The Participant shall comply with any such directions, and will be entitled to reimbursement of the cost of complying with such direction, provided that Green Ontario Fund, acting reasonably, has approved such cost in writing prior to the cost being incurred by the Participant. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Participant may market, report and publish the environmental benefits and savings results associated with participation in the Program.

#9225581 - 01/05/18 10:08 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: CIVIC dude]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
#3 You actually have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats

#4 Cliff Notes?

#9225587 - 01/05/18 10:17 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
CIVIC dude Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
#3 is you need to have the same thermostat at install vs the time you applied for this program. So if you have a decent thermostat now you change it for a really cheap one that will be taken away at install time.

#4 basically any savings as a result of your new thermostat or energy upgrades will be signed over to the green ontario fund company.

No thanks.....this shit is getting complicated.

#9225589 - 01/05/18 10:19 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: CIVIC dude]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
Damn....that's a mouthful and a half. What the F is it saying?
#9225594 - 01/05/18 10:22 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: CIVIC dude]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: CIVIC dude
#3 is you need to have the same thermostat at install vs the time you applied for this program. So if you have a decent thermostat now you change it for a really cheap one that will be taken away at install time.

#4 basically any savings as a result of your new thermostat or energy upgrades will be signed over to the green ontario fund company.

The $100ish for the smart thermostat isn't worth signing all the savings away.

#9225634 - 01/05/18 11:10 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Meh, I had me Ecobee installed this week lol.
#9225730 - 01/06/18 07:43 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: CIVIC dude]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: CIVIC dude

#3 does that mean any government incentive in the future or just those through the green on program?

#9225774 - 01/06/18 09:22 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Does everyone here understand that you won't save any money switching to these thermostats compared to a regular one?

It's a piece of novelty on your wall.

#9225783 - 01/06/18 09:39 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Yup I just did it for ease of programming.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9225816 - 01/06/18 10:39 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Hatorade]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I did it to keep up with with Hatorade.

#9225817 - 01/06/18 10:44 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Does everyone here understand that you won't save any money switching to these thermostats compared to a regular one?

Well I'd like to see a study that shows you don't save any money compared to a regular programmable one. If you have your programmable one locked down pretty good with a schedule and you are bang on with the schedule I don't see much of a savings but the smart feature to not have the home up to regular temps when you're not ther would definitely be a benefit, something a regular programmable one wont do automatically.

I feel you're talking about ROI then yes it would probably take a while to break even but with this program it's a no brainer as long as that terms and conditions is clarified a bit

#9225821 - 01/06/18 10:51 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

True. My programmable one is programmed weekly and our routine doesn’t change. After the wall bling, it’s probably going to be programmed the same as it is now.

#9225836 - 01/06/18 11:18 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
I did the Ecobee for pure convenience. My wife normally works from home, but she goes to the office twice a week (different days each week). I set the unit to be "away" during 9-5 M-F, but the sensors detect when she's home and automatically set it to "home" as long as it detects that someone is in the house. That feature alone is worth the cost of the unit. I couldn't care less if I get energy savings from it.

#9225842 - 01/06/18 11:30 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

Well I'd like to see a study that shows you don't save any money compared to a regular programmable one. If you have your programmable one locked down pretty good with a schedule and you are bang on with the schedule I don't see much of a savings but the smart feature to not have the home up to regular temps when you're not ther would definitely be a benefit, something a regular programmable one wont do automatically.

I feel you're talking about ROI then yes it would probably take a while to break even but with this program it's a no brainer as long as that terms and conditions is clarified a bit

What you are describing equates to literally pennies over a year and because there are so many variables at play (outside temp being the biggest one) there is no good prior data for any sort of baseline.

Like i said, it's just a novelty item. From a value add POV these things have zero relative to an ordinary thermostat. The only redeeming feature is the data aggregation which allows better understanding of usage, but it doesn't change a damn thing otherwise.

#9225856 - 01/06/18 12:10 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

What you are describing equates to literally pennies over a year and because there are so many variables at play (outside temp being the biggest one) there is no good prior data for any sort of baseline.

Like i said, it's just a novelty item. From a value add POV these things have zero relative to an ordinary thermostat. The only redeeming feature is the data aggregation which allows better understanding of usage, but it doesn't change a damn thing otherwise.

Can you link me to some articles that show that smart thermostats don't save any money at all?

Everything I read shows some savings, maybe not as much for those going from programmable to a smart unit VS those going from a traditional set once basic unit.

If you can show me some data that shows it only saves pennies a year I may change my mind \:\)

#9225861 - 01/06/18 12:22 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: loudsubz]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

I like collecting leafs to show how green I am. Dat carbon footprint!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9225862 - 01/06/18 12:22 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: LNXGUY]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I did it to keep up with with Hatorade.

LOL bet you can't keep up with my usage!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9225865 - 01/06/18 12:32 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Hatorade]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,

#9225867 - 01/06/18 12:35 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

We should start with an article quantifying the savings and work backwards from there with the assumptions, most articles make the assumption that programmable thermostats aren't set to lower the temp automatically M-F when everyone is away...so of course it will skew the results.
#9225871 - 01/06/18 12:51 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

My house is a 17 degrees when I am not at home. 20 - 21 when I am. Smart thermostat won't change that much. When we get home, it goes to 20 pretty quickly. /small house problems.
#9225935 - 01/06/18 04:19 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
The Postman Offline
Post Master Sr

Wife can change the temps from an app on her phone. Mission accomplished. And it does look cool too.
#9226165 - 01/06/18 10:50 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: The Postman]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
got the email and did the process. waiting for call.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9226296 - 01/07/18 12:54 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Same, waiting on the call to schedule install date.
#9226455 - 01/07/18 06:21 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Big Tasty]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

The big benefit to me is wi-fi connectivity.

I can pre-set it to 17 when away from home, but if I know someone will be home early, or home during the whole day, I can override it from my phone.

The convenience/comfort is worth it to me more than whatever savings... since I have an "eco" schedule already pre-set with a programmable I'm sure the savings won't be much.

All bout dat pre-heat life

#9226560 - 01/07/18 09:40 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: spd-dmn]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I had my Nest installed last week. I didn't do it for any savings as I acknowledge there wont' be any considering I don't use a schedule. We just leave it at a constant temperature. Maybe that will change. Its a tech gadget/novelty that I would not pay for so I figured I'd take advantage of the promo.

To those who set their homes to 17* when they're away, that seems awfully cold to me. In fact one day I had accidentally turned off the furnace (bumped the switch) and the temp went down to 17.5* and the house was FREEZING. I figure the energy required to bring it up to at least 21* would counter any savings.

#9226568 - 01/07/18 10:15 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

https://www.directenergy.com/learning-ce...settings-winter

Quote:
We do have general recommendations for winter thermostat settings:
If someone is at home in the daytime, 72° F (22° C) is a good start, but aim for 68° F (20° C).
If everyone is away from home in the daytime, or you're asleep at night, we feel 66° F (19° C) to 62° F (17° C) is best.

My 5 yr old townhouse is 1800 sq ft and the temperature comes up pretty quick. For the baller Csi guys with bigger houses, I can see how dropping to 17 would take a while / use a lot of energy to bring temperature back up.

#9226615 - 01/08/18 04:41 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I got the email, have to fill it out still. Hoping to grab the ecobee & then give my current thermostat to my mom.
#9226737 - 01/08/18 10:10 AM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Wildout]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Wildout
I got the email, have to fill it out still. Hoping to grab the ecobee & then give my current thermostat to my mom.

If that's your plan, switch out your mom's thermostat with yours before they arrive for the installation. You have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats.

#9226975 - 01/08/18 01:24 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

If that's your plan, switch out your mom's thermostat with yours before they arrive for the installation. You have to relinquish your thermostat to them when they install the new one as part of the program. This is their way of preventing people from reselling the new thermostats.

Shit, thanks for sharing that info.

#9227920 - 01/09/18 03:29 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll grab the one the builder installed from the basement when they come

#9228033 - 01/09/18 06:45 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Wildout]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll grab the one the builder installed from the basement when they come

Make sure you install the builder's thermostat before they arrive. You can't just hand them it in place of the one on your wall.

#9229594 - 01/11/18 04:36 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Just got mine installed. I called their 1-888 number yesterday cause it's been awhile since i got their email with no further action (and i was bored at work). They were quite nice on the phone and booked an appointment for me today between 4-8, guys came at 4 and set everything up. They asked a few questions about other things I would update in the future and also age of appliances.

All done in about 30 mins.

#9248092 - 02/05/18 06:24 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: Big Tasty]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Got a message to call to make an appointment. On their website it says that they will need access to certain areas of the home and that it will take 2hrs. Did any of the installers go around your homes checking things?
#9248196 - 02/05/18 09:12 PM Re: free smart thermostat? [Re: civic13]
The Postman Offline
Post Master Sr

Nope. Thermostat to the furnace and back a few times.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads