Page 10 of 16 « First<89101112>Last »
Topic Options
#9066356 - 06/26/17 12:28 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
Anyone have issues with mushrooms? My front lawn has some. I pick them out throw down iron rich fertilizer and they still come up. I've done that about 3 times now.

Ya I have them sometimes too, big fatheads coming out of nowhere.

#9066994 - 06/27/17 08:37 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Wildout

Take a quick picture. There's no way the grass should be dead with this amount of rain we've had. Pooling is okay, obviously depends on how much. Take a quick pic, could be a simple fix.

It's getting worse by the day. Looks almost like the whole section of yard is sinking... it's a big bowl now.

(large pic)
http://i.imgur.com/D4sV57w.jpg

#9067015 - 06/27/17 09:15 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: markw]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
So much rain, my backyard looks like a mushroom farm.

wow, titty's lawn!

#9067407 - 06/27/17 03:17 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
oh that's not mine that's my uncle's in jamajax

#9067826 - 06/28/17 01:28 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: markw]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: markw
 Originally Posted By: Wildout

Take a quick picture. There's no way the grass should be dead with this amount of rain we've had. Pooling is okay, obviously depends on how much. Take a quick pic, could be a simple fix.

It's getting worse by the day. Looks almost like the whole section of yard is sinking... it's a big bowl now.

(large pic)
http://i.imgur.com/D4sV57w.jpg

You have grubs \:\(

Do you have any Grub Ex on hand?

#9123977 - 09/05/17 08:29 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Milwaukee, WI, USA
Thread revival...

So we have a backyard that is half dense shade and half part shade. We took down the previous owner's swingset this spring and raked up all of the wood chips, turned the soil and added topsoil. Did a few rounds of Scott's seed for shade/sun mix which they say is just fine for dense shade.

It grew in pretty well this spring but come July I noticed if I turned the lawnmower on it too rough (waited a good 6 weeks to mow over the new stuff), the grass would easily rip out and is a bit thin. I figure it's young and will grow deeper roots but it hasn't really. It seems like it has gotten thinner too.

Fast forward to yesterday. Had some people with their kids over and there was an area they were fucking around in and they basically managed to turn a section of grass into bare soil. This wasn't even the new seed but old grass. I went over to examine and the grass isn't even attached if but a little to the soil. Like I can just grab it and it comes right up with no effort and barely any soil attached. I think I could probably rake this section from the small 2x1 foot patch to about a 6x4 foot patch before it gets to grass that is somewhat rooted.

Upon reading first thought was grub worms but I dug around and found none. What should I do? Rake up that large patch and just reseed? Lightly rake in some topsoil over the new stuff and overseed it? Apply GrubEx for the hell of it? Aerate?

I want my lawn to be somewhat nice but shade always seems like more work. Tips appreciated!

#9123982 - 09/05/17 08:31 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: DooMer_WI]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Post of pic....it could be a couple of things, but sounds like you have hard soil.
#9123995 - 09/05/17 08:48 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

Will do in the morning.
#9124340 - 09/06/17 11:01 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: DooMer_WI]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

So here are the pictures. First one is the area I seeded this spring. Since the lawn is long, it doesn't show as much of the bare area. But its somewhat sparse. When we seeded, I did turn the soil up and throw down some top soil... So, do I just rake in some Scott's Seeding Soil and spread seed/water? Should I aerate?

Here is a sample of the grass that just comes up with basically no effort. The soil looks a little more loose than it was because I dug around looking for grubs. Notice how there is basically no dirt attached to the grass. It comes up almost like hay! If I rake this section up until it stops coming up easy, should I just turn up the soil and add soil and re-seed?

I'm wondering if before I even do anything if I should rent an aerator this weekend? I can guarantee the lazy-ass owners never did any amount of yard-work other than mowing before we moved in last fall.

#9124674 - 09/06/17 02:30 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: DooMer_WI]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Ahh the pic helps a ton.

Basically this is what happens when one waters too often, the roots stay near the top of the soil instead of growing down instead to get the water. This isn't your fault as it's rained pretty much constantly this year.

To fix it, now is actually the best time in preparation for next year. You have to rake up as much as the dead grass that you can (do the whole yard), not just the one spot. There will be a lot of dead grass just the time of year & your lawn will look thinner, don't worry.

Aerate if you want, it's not necessary, but doesn't hurt. And re-seed & fertilize again now & again in 4 weeks. You need your lawn to thicken up. Cut more often as you don't want the current grass to shade out the new seed. Twice a week is fine, don't cut too low, for the look. Try the 2nd or 3rd highest height on your mower.

Costco has the massive bag of Scotts Sun & Shade for $62ish. I've seen it as low as $45 in-store.

https://www.costco.ca/Scotts-Turf-Builde....100368569.html

#9124780 - 09/06/17 03:17 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks so much for the reply!

First off, if you haven't noticed, I live in Milwaukee. I actually found this thread by mistake searching all forums for "lawn", instead of Out There, which had a much less helpful thread last year that I was trying to find. So I ended up accidentally posting in Ontario, but we probably had very similar weather regardless; "cool", rainy summer. \:\)

Anyhow, should I rake in topsoil into the areas where good grass remains? Or just lay down the seed/fertilizer and let it do its thing?

Also, an auxilary question, and I'm glad I waited before doing anything - Some areas of the lawn have some clover patches. I was actually going to spray weed and feed on the patches after the rain ends in the next day or so, but obviously if I'm overseeding the whole yard its probably not a good idea. Worry about the clover patches now or next year?

Thanks so much!

#9125130 - 09/06/17 08:21 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: DooMer_WI]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
Seed now. Best time of year. Scott's coated sun/shade mix and throw it down liberally on top of bare soil. Best practice is to cover the seed with some peat moss. Water daily about 1/2" for the next couple of weeks. Go buy yourself a couple of bags of Milorganite and spread a full application over your entire lawn, not just seeded areas.

You're fortunate you reside in the US and not under the draconian anti-lawn laws we have up here. Deal with the clover next year. Get yourself some Ortho Weed B Gone concentrate and mix it in a gallon hand pump sprayer.

Check out The Lawn Care Nut on YouTube. He's got great tips on everything. I came to post an update on my lawn. Standby.

#9125191 - 09/06/17 09:09 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Full growing season of Milorganite. Had to spot spray a few weeds in August, mostly clover. Had a bit of crabgrass come in but knocked it out with the Weed B Gone. I'll definitely be putting a pre-emergent down in spring.

Close-up.

Got to keep watering.

Decided to fill in some low spots and seeded with Kentucky Bluegrass. Best time of year to fix any problem areas.

Edited by TYJelly (09/06/17 09:18 PM)

#9125194 - 09/06/17 09:10 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

Excellent, I will be doing this after the inlaws visit this weekend (Sunday). My wife requested there at least be some semblance of grass for their first visit to the new place.

Supposed to rain off and on through tomorrow night anyhow. Thanks guys!

#9125219 - 09/06/17 09:27 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: DooMer_WI]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

You're actually in Milwaukee! The source of Milorganite is your own shit! Keep up the great work.
#9125244 - 09/06/17 09:52 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
DooMer_WI Offline
Post Master Supreme

I was going to post that.
#9125367 - 09/07/17 01:27 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: TYJelly
Seed now. Best time of year. Scott's coated sun/shade mix and throw it down liberally on top of bare soil. Best practice is to cover the seed with some peat moss. Water daily about 1/2" for the next couple of weeks. Go buy yourself a couple of bags of Milorganite and spread a full application over your entire lawn, not just seeded areas.

You're fortunate you reside in the US and not under the draconian anti-lawn laws we have up here. Deal with the clover next year. Get yourself some Ortho Weed B Gone concentrate and mix it in a gallon hand pump sprayer.

Check out The Lawn Care Nut on YouTube. He's got great tips on everything. I came to post an update on my lawn. Standby.

Spot on advice. I'm jealous you get the good stuff (Orthro, Milogranite) without jumping through hoops.

Looking good TYJelly. I have a ton of repairs to do as well.

#9125526 - 09/07/17 08:55 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
TY/Wildout, nice info man. I follow very similar practice for my lawn as such and it works out well. Mind you my front lawn isn't much larger than my kitchen...so yeah

i'm about to see it in the coming weeks, and winter fert later.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9126038 - 09/07/17 02:28 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
ITT, wildout shares his wisdom from growing weed.

#9126599 - 09/07/17 08:14 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham

I would actually do a combination of starter fertilizer and Milorganite, throw down starter fertilizer so you get about 1 lbs P in per 1000 sq ft. You will usually end up with .70-.75 of Nitrogen in per 1000 sq ft. with the starter fertilizer. Supplement the remaining Nitrogen with a second application of Milorganite to make up the difference so you end up getting a total of 1 lbs of N in per 1000 sq ft.

Edited by SiRice (09/07/17 08:17 PM)

#9126615 - 09/07/17 08:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SiRice]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Haha someone's been watching the Lawn Care Nut!

I forgot to mention the starter fertiliser.

#9126618 - 09/07/17 08:30 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Haha someone's been watching the Lawn Care Nut!

I forgot to mention the starter fertiliser.

LCN is a god amongst men.

#9152111 - 10/07/17 10:00 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: zaius
just used my dethatcher yesterday. for $100, it works pretty well.

after top dressing, overseeding and fertilizing. i hope this works.

my backyard is another totally different problem. i don't know where to start

not sure if you guys remember my lawn before, but after a bit of fertilizer and care, I got the front lawn to look like this.

and backyard still looks like donkey poop, but it's getting there...

All I've been using is magic carper fertilizer and general all purpose grass seeds. I'm not a fan of the costco scotts grass seeds. Too low in kentucky blue... so I've been using my local landscaping store's grass seeds instead.

#9152956 - 10/08/17 05:57 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Nice job on the front yard, it’s amazing what can be accomplished in under 1 year.
#9310757 - 04/27/18 09:08 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: xza8]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

Soooo.... whats a good pre emergent to use? Never done this step before.. is it too early?
I read its too early now to put down soring fertilizer.

#9310778 - 04/27/18 09:34 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

ahhhhhhhh that time again. fuck me it's hard to even get 1hr free with 2 kiddies roaming the house. hopefully the older one will help with the labour during a Sat or Sun afternoon since i'm getting lazy lol.

spddmn wait until mid-May.

#9310825 - 04/27/18 10:19 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
I wish I had photos from last summer ... I've never had my grass as perfect, beautiful, green, and consistent as ever...

I actually sat there like a Chinaman on a little stool, using my v-shaped weed tool extracting weeds

Now the grass looks like shit again ... Time to overseed again... (I REALLY REALLY overseed...)

QUESTION: So, I have a swale in the backyard, AND it doesn't get much sun throughout the day ... it's always moist, and I routinely get moss 'n shit...

Fill that shit in to level it out? Construction/landscaping buddy says to leave it alone, as a swale is meant to channel water / etc / etc... But... it's in a real awkward location, and also where I enter the yard...

#9311035 - 04/27/18 01:32 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Worked on the backyard last weekend cleaning up old leaves and raking. Doing the front this weekend and will throw seed down. Hopefully keep the weeds at bay this year (fingers crossed).
#9311061 - 04/27/18 02:11 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I've got some 2,4D. When do I put this shit down? I've still got some snow in the back yard, lol.

#9311423 - 04/28/18 07:30 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I've got some 2,4D. When do I put this shit down? I've still got some snow in the back yard, lol.

if you’re planning on seeding, don’t spray the 2,4d. you need to wait at least 2-3 weeks after spraying.

if you’re seeding, wait until the 2nd or 3rd mowing of the new grass before throwing down the 2,4d. that’s going to be like at least a month.

#9311697 - 04/28/18 10:23 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

Sooo... pre emergents? Any good ones out there recommended? Other than typical boxstore products?

I want to kill eeeds early this year for a change lol

#9312135 - 04/30/18 07:37 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

i dunno but FUCK ALLERGIES MUTHERFUCKING FUCK!!! \:\(

#9312152 - 04/30/18 08:25 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
Sooo... pre emergents? Any good ones out there recommended? Other than typical boxstore products?

i think it's too late for pre emergents now. i see dandelions leaves popping up everywhere. FFFFFFFF

#9312197 - 04/30/18 09:14 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: zaius
 Originally Posted By: spd-dmn

i think it's too late for pre emergents now. i see dandelions leaves popping up everywhere. FFFFFFFF

Nothing up here yet, I need to get that 2,4D down soon before my backyard turns into dandelion heaven like it did last year, lol.

#9312325 - 04/30/18 11:22 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
What's 2,4D you guys keep talking about?

Page 10 of 16 « First<89101112>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads