Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8983289 - 03/24/17 05:46 PM so um...at what point do you sell your house?
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Dear CSi, let's have a hypothetical discussion. How much money would it take for you to sell your current place?

If you made half a mil clean is that enough?
If you made a million clean is that enough?
Or you love where you live that you don't give a shit and would just stay the course?

Do you need more, less? When do you really start considering it?

With that said, if you do sell and get half a million or a million+ over what you paid, where do you live for the next 5 years?

#8983364 - 03/24/17 06:28 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I am happy where I am now. House is everything I want, kids are settled in school and distance to work is good as well.

I would say if you are looking to move, do it before your kid(s) are in school so that can become part of your requirements in a new house/location. Get's more complicated the further along they are.

Now if you threw stupid money at me, well I could be persuaded. \:D

#8983376 - 03/24/17 06:32 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Big Tasty]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

A back split just went up for sale across the street from me. I'm eager to see what the asking and selling price will be, hasn't popped up on MLS yet. Last year a back split on my same street went for over 300k more than what i paid for my 4 bedroom.
#8983409 - 03/24/17 07:02 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Big Tasty]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
There have been a few TH around that have sold. My area has gone up 30%+ over LY. That said we love the area and have no intentions to move, especially after doing the reno.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8983412 - 03/24/17 07:07 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Hatorade]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Paper gains mean nothing if I still need a house to live in. If I sell, I still have to buy something else. If I had investment properties, I might consider selling, but I don't so it's moot.

#8983421 - 03/24/17 07:22 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
There have been a few TH around that have sold. My area has gone up 30%+ over LY. That said we love the area and have no intentions to move, especially after doing the reno.

If you get 1M+ over what you paid, what do you do? Ignore and stay? Sell, if so what do you do about housing for the next 5 years? Rent?

#8983423 - 03/24/17 07:22 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
I am happy where I am now. House is everything I want, kids are settled in school and distance to work is good as well.

I would say if you are looking to move, do it before your kid(s) are in school so that can become part of your requirements in a new house/location. Get's more complicated the further along they are.

If you get 1M+ over what you paid, what do you do? Ignore and stay? Sell, if so what do you do about housing for the next 5 years? Rent?

#8983424 - 03/24/17 07:22 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: SW20_MR2]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
Paper gains mean nothing if I still need a house to live in. If I sell, I still have to buy something else. If I had investment properties, I might consider selling, but I don't so it's moot.

#8983425 - 03/24/17 07:24 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Let's stop dodging the question, i want to know what CSi would do if someone dangled a carrot of whatever size to make them twitch. Be it half a mil, a mil, 2 mil, whatever.

What's your number and what do you do?

#8983432 - 03/24/17 07:42 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
Polkaroo Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Polka Dot Door
5-7% of 1 million is 50-70k/yr. More than enough to pay rent for a little while.

having the opportunity to realize a $1 million return doesnt come alone very often.

Just shows what bs the market it is. Everyone is all talk. Constantly gloating and bragging about how much their places have gone up. yet when push comes to shove. They wont do whats needed to realize those gains.

#8983453 - 03/24/17 08:07 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Polkaroo]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Gamble your clean $1M+ (your $1M is just pure profit... I'm pretty sure you have 20%+ from your initial downpayment PLUS your principal repayment) on an underrated area. Buy several homes in Hamilton? You still have 4 years until you need to settle down on a school.
#8983647 - 03/24/17 10:54 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: xza8]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
When I can downsize and not have to make a lateral move, or custom build. But there's no way I'm going to sell this place for like 850k and move into another place that's 850k, lol.

#8983697 - 03/25/17 12:39 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
C J Fly Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tondo, Manila, Philippines
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Let's stop dodging the question, i want to know what CSi would do if someone dangled a carrot of whatever size to make them twitch. Be it half a mil, a mil, 2 mil, whatever.

What's your number and what do you do?

Just do it... \:D

#8983721 - 03/25/17 01:59 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: C J Fly]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Won't move out of the neighbourhood until the youngest is done HS.

Would consider moving further north for bigger home or larger lot with a comparable sized home but with more space for a bigger garage) - ideally not having to top up that much more.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8983723 - 03/25/17 02:17 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: hyper-s2k]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
Depends where I need to access regularly be it work or in laws etc. Can I move where its cheaper and not affect quality of life? If not, just ignore and live there. Places I like to live (proper house) typically aren't reasonably priced rentals so that's not likely to work.
#8983756 - 03/25/17 06:57 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Based on what our neighbour's house just sold for, we are close to that situation. There is no thought whatsover to sell and rent. We are considering (<10% chance) selling and downsizing, but not getting out of the market. We like the area though, so even if we were to rent, I'm guessing rent would be $2500-3000 per month for a house in this area.

Edited by SW20_MR2 (03/25/17 06:58 AM)

#8983791 - 03/25/17 09:15 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty

Would have to be a mil+ to get my wife into the area she wants and the house I want. I'm not downsizing for any area and wife isn't moving any further out.

#8983805 - 03/25/17 09:28 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: 87ZCSi]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
Depends where I need to access regularly be it work or in laws etc. Can I move where its cheaper and not affect quality of life? If not, just ignore and live there. Places I like to live (proper house) typically aren't reasonably priced rentals so that's not likely to work.

I guess this is what it comes down to.

Where I live now is what's i've always wanted. Walking distance to family, etc, i feel i will just downgrade myself for no reason and then be at risk of not being able to secure similar housing later.

Now if i had a crystal ball to predict a crash then yes i'd sell and then buy back in when it crashes, but if it doesn't come down in flames i'd be fucked.

#8983861 - 03/25/17 11:16 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Doesn't matter how much money i would make on my detached if i can't use that $ to buy another home in a decent area.
#8984331 - 03/26/17 04:17 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: SW20_MR2]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2

This!

PS: Based on sale last week of a similar unit. My $750K TH (june 2016) is now over a Mil.

again... on paper

#8984363 - 03/26/17 04:41 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Just A Troll]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Met a couple recently who have sold out of their stocks (now in bonds and cash) and sold their home for +650k from where they bought. They will rent instead for less than the carrying costs of their home. If there's a crash, they'll buy back in.
#8984458 - 03/26/17 07:43 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
Met a couple recently who have sold out of their stocks (now in bonds and cash) and sold their home for +650k from where they bought. They will rent instead for less than the carrying costs of their home. If there's a crash, they'll buy back in.

If it doesn't, they'll have a hard time buying back into the housing market such that they may be renters for life.

#8984464 - 03/26/17 08:04 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: xza8]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: xza8
 Originally Posted By: eddie_82

If it doesn't, they'll have a hard time buying back into the housing market such that they may be renters for life.

That's quite a stretch. It will cost them more to get back in, but the odds of being renters for life seems pretty low.

#8984884 - 03/27/17 09:18 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
C J Fly Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tondo, Manila, Philippines

Hypothetical 5 year plan.

-Pay off Mortgage and debts.
-Put away for both children university education in full.
-Buy condo in university city where children are going. Rent out property(ies) in meantime.
-Move back in with in-laws, family or rent.
-Continue to make "mortgage payments' to high interest savings acct.
-Bank 1M and wait for market correction or crash, downsize and buy next property in cash.
-Live mortgage/debt free before 50.

#8984990 - 03/27/17 10:45 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: C J Fly]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: C J Fly

-Buy condo in university city where children are going. Rent out property(ies) in meantime.
-Bank 1M and wait for market correction or crash, downsize and buy next property in cash.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8984994 - 03/27/17 10:47 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: C J Fly]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto

-buy yellow type R from zc911

Awesome plan dude!

#8985157 - 03/27/17 12:23 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: C J Fly]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON

Nice plan, but ditch the HISA. You need to be more tax efficient with your money!!! Fuck the government.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8986107 - 03/28/17 08:06 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Hatorade]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
Currently discussing this at home... with work; cobourg isn't far (and I could work from home 2-3 days a week) If we sell, we could purchase a home out there with no mortgage, and bank 6 figures..... prices are climbing FAST out there too... the last 5 families to sell on my street have all gone that way. We'll see.

#8986279 - 03/28/17 10:04 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: markw]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

buddy at work, new baby and all trying badly to get into SOMETHING out of his basement rental. looking way out in whitby recently and had offer in last night on a place (ash st. i think?) - old ass townhome but ok shape inside...

asking $425k
offer $455k (they can't afford much after that)
sold for...........$620k (if you see the house, WHAT IN THE FUCK, and in whitby no less???)

chinese buyer (shocker ) like 6-7 ppl in the fam or whatever he mentioned lol.

sucks.

#8986338 - 03/28/17 10:45 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
buddy at work, new baby and all trying badly to get into SOMETHING out of his basement rental. looking way out in whitby recently and had offer in last night on a place (ash st. i think?) - old ass townhome but ok shape inside...

asking $425k
sold for...........$620k (if you see the house, WHAT IN THE FUCK, and in whitby no less???)

sucks.

Yeah, I was watching that one
https://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=17929507

It's absolutely nutty. Was told to expect 8 for my house.... 8 gets you a lot more house in different areas on Whitby.. why the fuck is my 1600sqft home at a price in line with 3000sqft houses with two garages and a lot more room.

#8986693 - 03/28/17 01:55 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: markw]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Location, location, location.
#8986754 - 03/28/17 02:38 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Big Tasty]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
gimmie a mill clean and i'll dip. i don't use like half my house anyway, i'd go into a condo. If i got a mill clean and move to a condo i can retire now.

Edited by titty sprinkles (03/28/17 02:43 PM)

#8987000 - 03/28/17 04:38 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: markw]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: markw
 Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

asking $425k

sucks.

Yeah, I was watching that one
https://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=17929507

It's absolutely nutty. Was told to expect 8 for my house.... 8 gets you a lot more house in different areas on Whitby.. why the fuck is my 1600sqft home at a price in line with 3000sqft houses with two garages and a lot more room.

that townhouse for 600k is depressing af, that's worth putting a bullet in your head for.

#8987017 - 03/28/17 04:58 PM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: Risky Business]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

Oshawa is the same shit now too. Even north oshawa....

New construction homes, offered in 2013 and completed in 2015, near Simcoe & Winchester, which is where Oshawa meets the 407 (aka 1hr to Toronto with zero traffic, unless you take 407 and then its 45-50mins)... were originally sold for 550ish new give or take.

Now selling for $1M.

dafuq

#8987575 - 03/29/17 08:10 AM Re: so um...at what point do you sell your house? [Re: spd-dmn]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

super L E L

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads