Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8867891 - 12/01/16 10:18 AM For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades)
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
When was the last time you did a hardware upgrade through Rogers?

Basically we get

unlimited talk/text and all phone features - $22
6GB of data - $30

3 years ago they said we couldn't do a h/w upgrade due to our cheap plan. The only way they could was if we signed for a 3 year commitment versus everyone else who is on a 2 year. No problem.

Fast forward to the present and now they're being pretty firm with the fact that if we want a h/w upgrade we have to change our plan.

Whats everyone else doing? Paying for phones out right? Upgrading to other plans?

#8867906 - 12/01/16 10:32 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
just did back in april on new 2yr plan, as we had finished our 3yr plan already on no contract. and yes that sounds right cause they do not offer 3 yrs plans anymore and if you get a new contract you MUST go on new 2yr plan if you want HW upgrade. or, you just buy a phone out right from them or PMALL or whatever.

i got new 2yr deal so i got the new galaxy s7 for 0$ when it was just coming out (i got a bonus trade in for old LG phone like $175 and $225 credit for new contract sign up, + a 128 gig chip for the phone free). no fucking way i'm buying phones out right lol, waste of $ unless you keep it mint and re-sell it to buy another.

wifey and i have shared plan for $119+tax with two phones. shared 2gig data only the tight fucks (Rogers) but all the talk time is there/text/etc all decent.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8867917 - 12/01/16 10:39 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I have an unlimited corp plan for $50 with rogers (similar to OP), there is no hardware upgrade, however they always have promotions for new phones. So upon renewal you sign a 2 year contract and pay a reduced price for the phone.

So let's say if my renewal was up now a new iphone 6 would be $200 for the phone and contract renews, etc.

I just get whatever is free at the time of renewal and that's my "upgrade" granted I always get an older phone. Currently have an iphone 5 since it was the free phone when I renewed. In 2 years it will probably the iphone 6

I don't care.

#8867919 - 12/01/16 10:39 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Ya i definitely don't want to be buying the phones outright for $700+

Right now my wife is the only one with data. I get covered through my work, so a share plan may not be the best route.

#8867941 - 12/01/16 10:51 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
My corp plans at work are shit, but wifey has a decent corp plan. $50 with 6gb data.

But to do an upgrade they want us to go up to a $70+ plan each...fuck that. The cost of buying a phone outright vs. a more expensive plan is a wash over 2 yrs (depending on phone of course, talking newest shit as a comparison)

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8867949 - 12/01/16 10:55 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I have an unlimited corp plan for $50 with rogers (similar to OP), there is no hardware upgrade, however they always have promotions for new phones. So upon renewal you sign a 2 year contract and pay a reduced price for the phone.

So let's say if my renewal was up now a new iphone 6 would be $200 for the phone and contract renews, etc.

I just get whatever is free at the time of renewal and that's my "upgrade" granted I always get an older phone. Currently have an iphone 5 since it was the free phone when I renewed. In 2 years it will probably the iphone 6

I don't care.

Ya we'd be all over that if it were an option. Doesn't look like they have that anymore, at least it wasn't offered to us.

#8867952 - 12/01/16 10:56 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
My corp plans at work are shit, but wifey has a decent corp plan. $50 with 6gb data.

But to do an upgrade they want us to go up to a $70+ plan each...fuck that. The cost of buying a phone outright vs. a more expensive plan is a wash over 2 yrs (depending on phone of course, talking newest shit as a comparison)

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Weren't you selling some iPhones not too long ago?

#8867958 - 12/01/16 10:58 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Weren't you selling some iPhones not too long ago?

Yup both gone. Been buying phones outright for the past 3 years now ever since 3 year renewals ended,

Thanks to the general publics ignorance plans are more expensive now. There was absolutely nothing wrong with 3yr plans, people just didn't like the idea of being locked in...so stupid.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8868047 - 12/01/16 11:44 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Hatorade]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
It makes no sense to buy a phone and use a subsidized plan now unless you want to be paying over $100/month
#8868083 - 12/01/16 12:08 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

people just didn't like the idea of being locked in...so stupid.
And yet they had no intent on moving anyway. I believe this was even before you could port your number to another provider. So in the end its not like the majority of people were going to leave their provider.

#8868088 - 12/01/16 12:10 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
It makes no sense to buy a phone and use a subsidized plan now unless you want to be paying over $100/month

I don't agree with paying $700+ for a phone (heck I don't agree with paying more than $200) but what are you suggesting, switch to a higher plan and pay more money each month?

#8868090 - 12/01/16 12:11 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Yeah I'm not getting choco either.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8868105 - 12/01/16 12:17 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Just use your company provided phones guys /middle class chocolate canuck
#8868113 - 12/01/16 12:21 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Fuck company phones!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8868123 - 12/01/16 12:34 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I know a lot of people are against compaany phones. Personally I dont mind it. I'm not doing anything that I have to keep that private. Unlimited data and long distance ANYWHERE in the world is worth it to me. I go on vacations and its like I'm in Toronto. I'll take that anytime. I've been lucky and have been using company phones for the past 8 years.
#8868145 - 12/01/16 12:47 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
I am in the same boat as hator, I have been buying unlocked phones outright to keep a cheap plan. However, as of November, I was not able to keep the cheap plan bc bell decided it was a great idea to hike the grandfathered plan.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/bell/bell-price-hike-6gb-data/

As for why prices are increasing? Bell explains “unfortunately the weak Canadian dollar has significantly increased the costs of maintaining our world class network technology.”

Yeah ok.

I'll keep buying phones outright to keep the cost of the plans low. Phones are cheap enough as it is, you just have to know where the deals are.

#8868433 - 12/01/16 04:44 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: c2k]
titty sprinkles Online   pandAr
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
same boat as OP. i just have to buy out a phone because there's no way i'm changing my plan. the last time i called rogers they said that i would have to pay $30 more, and take 4gigs of data instead of 6 gigs. eff that.

#8868446 - 12/01/16 04:58 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: titty sprinkles]
Big Tasty Online   pandAr
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I'm on an amazing corp plan but looks like it will be the end if I upgrade my phone. Battery life is not the greatest on my galaxy S5 but I'd rather just band-aide it with a new battery than spend 3x more on a new plan and phone.
#8868509 - 12/01/16 06:18 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Big Tasty]
Cee_mon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
I am still on the old CSi deal from over 10 years ago. I keep buying used phones and keeping my 58$ after tax for everything plus 6gig of data.

#8868954 - 12/02/16 08:58 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: c2k]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: c2k
Phones are cheap enough as it is, you just have to know where the deals are.

Define "cheap" and where are you going/looking for these deals?

#8868958 - 12/02/16 09:14 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Just switched to Telus from Rogers because they were unable to match the Telus offer. Been with Rogers for 10 years.

Got iPhone 7 128gb for $230.
$63 plan, 4gb, 300 local min. Lol.
Could go as low as $57 plan, 2 Gb.

#8868987 - 12/02/16 09:40 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: c2k]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I am in the same boat as hator, I have been buying unlocked phones outright to keep a cheap plan. However, as of November, I was not able to keep the cheap plan bc bell decided it was a great idea to hike the grandfathered plan.

As for why prices are increasing? Bell explains “unfortunately the weak Canadian dollar has significantly increased the costs of maintaining our world class network technology.”

Yeah ok.

I'll keep buying phones outright to keep the cost of the plans low. Phones are cheap enough as it is, you just have to know where the deals are.

You just ruined my day.

#8869007 - 12/02/16 09:58 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm guessing Rogers will follow suit in no time \:\(
#8869052 - 12/02/16 10:36 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie_82

Yeah ok.

You just ruined my day.

look at your employers' workperks for the telus deals, that's why I made the switch as soon as I got nailed.

#8869058 - 12/02/16 10:39 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

RFD, workperks, online store, etc.

I paid 550 for my nexus 6 2 years ago when it's going for 900ish in the store.

I got my wife and son each a new iphone brand new unlocked from apple for 100 to 150 bucks off.

You gotta shop smart son.

#8869062 - 12/02/16 10:43 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: c2k]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: eddie_82

Yeah ok.

You just ruined my day.

look at your employers' workperks for the telus deals, that's why I made the switch as soon as I got nailed.

The current plans are all about the same from Bell/Rogers/Telus for us. I don't see any incentive to switch right now.

#8869095 - 12/02/16 11:07 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: c2k]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

RFD, workperks, online store, etc.

I paid 550 for my nexus 6 2 years ago when it's going for 900ish in the store.

I got my wife and son each a new iphone brand new unlocked from apple for 100 to 150 bucks off.

You gotta shop smart son.

While I can appreciate that $550 is a significant savings vs $900, thats WAY more than I'll ever pay for a phone.

#8869337 - 12/02/16 01:50 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
I didn't read the entire thread, just the first few replies.

This is what i know about Rogers and the current wireless industry and direction.

I have $50 unlimited everything and 5gigs (they took away my 6gigs last upgrade). IT's a corp plan.

- Corp plans play by different rules vs Customers
- Corp plans generally are better than Customer plans if you can get a good one
- Corp plans were fluctuating with 2 and 3 year terms
- When the new change or law came out that Wireless carriers can only offer 2 year contracts, corp plans was different and they can still hook you for 3 years.

- The industry is trying to go away from contracts all together, and thus Hardware subsidies
- Corp plans - dependent on company sometimes get hardware discounts
- It's almost cheaper to out right purchase a phone and use it with your line, as Carriers will want to change your plan if you want to renew and get a discount on your phone (generally give you a less valuable plan).

- Data is the new currency not call time.

#8871524 - 12/05/16 06:36 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Cee_mon]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Cee_mon
I am still on the old CSi deal from over 10 years ago. I keep buying used phones and keeping my 58$ after tax for everything plus 6gig of data.

same here....$56.50 w/tax. I only have 5gig data tho.
I need a new phone as well but if I switch, my price will easily double. Or stay the same but get half of options. So buying outright for me.
I have co-workers that pay $85-$90/mth but get phones every 2 yrs. In reality I save roughly $350/yr over them so I can subsidize my own phone every 2yrs anyway. Whatever I pay for a phone under that is my savings. I prefer it this way.

#8871571 - 12/05/16 07:42 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
My Note 5 is delaminating... God damn Samsung, of course this is a factory refurb because the original got crushed in the boat and only has a 90 day warranty (Which is up) I dunno what I'm going to get next.

#8871690 - 12/05/16 10:09 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Raocorp]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: Raocorp

I need a new phone as well but if I switch, my price will easily double. Or stay the same but get half of options. So buying outright for me.
I have co-workers that pay $85-$90/mth but get phones every 2 yrs. In reality I save roughly $350/yr over them so I can subsidize my own phone every 2yrs anyway. Whatever I pay for a phone under that is my savings. I prefer it this way.

Not if they flip their phones after. That's the main reason I put a case on mine, re-sell value is high.

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
My Note 5 is delaminating... God damn Samsung, of course this is a factory refurb because the original got crushed in the boat and only has a 90 day warranty (Which is up) I dunno what I'm going to get next.

Pixel

#8871721 - 12/05/16 10:50 PM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Wildout]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
 Originally Posted By: Wildout

Not if they flip their phones after. That's the main reason I put a case on mine, re-sell value is high.

My 3 year old iphone 5S is mint condition thanks to a $5 bumper and the Ghost armor.

I saved over $900 on my iphone7 by signing the contract.
$1,029+tax vs $230+tax
and I am sure I could get more than what I paid for after 2 years.
So, basically a free brand new iphone and $63/4GB plan.

#8871801 - 12/06/16 06:25 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: LNXGUY]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

Samsung is releasing Galaxy S8 in March/April 2017 with 2 different models, a 5.7" and a 6.2".

I like the pixel, but the amount of bezel on the phone just turns me off and the fact it looks so identical to an iphone so I will be passing on that.

#8876883 - 12/10/16 11:29 AM Re: For those with great/cheap cellphone plans .. (H/W Upgrades) [Re: Wildout]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Wildout

I suppose, never really thought of that. Any time i've ever sold a phone its been for a nominal value. I don't get the $500 price tag for a 2yr old, used phone. Thats fucked IMO. also, IMO, going forward used phones are going to be like computer were back in the early 2000s. "outdated" very quickly because of cpu specs, speeds, newer o/s' not being able to run on older phones etc. etc.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads