Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8825157 - 10/20/16 03:22 PM garage project coming together - did I post this already?
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Canada
First off - no, I haven't insulated, drywalled it and put the natural gas heater in yet. There's plenty more to come.

Also the garage is a mess, and I have so many car parts that they're stacked on the hoist. I had to rip out a bunch of shelving for the install of the lift.

Second of all, this thing is awesome! 9000 lb capacity, hydraulic jacks, so I can work on the top car with the wheels off, drip trays for storage, and it's bolted down 4" into the concrete.

I had to put a high lift garage door in, with an end drive motor. It has a really cool solenoid deadbolt that locks in when the garage door closes, and it's a "soft close". Goes down quick until the last 12", then slows right down. That all sounded... dirty. I can also control the door with my smart phone now, which is kind of cool.

Just waiting on the other cars. 240sx has been in the paint shop for almost three weeks. Daimler has gearbox issues and the transmission is apart.

I have my NX2000 all ripped apart. I hope to have it ready for testing the new GT2871R turbocharger/HotBits suspension (shortened housings, remote reservoirs) and flares with 245 width Hoosiers setup come spring, at the track.

#8825173 - 10/20/16 03:29 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

The Sentra SE-R is pretty much mechanically identical to the NX2000 and I'm recreating the wheel/tire setup of my buddy Mark's car.

He's going to Road Atlanta this weekend. I am Jello-C.

I love his car, too. He's a design engineer, and it shows.

#8825212 - 10/20/16 03:52 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
WOW sick garage so very nice.
Lift, plus organized tire space and enough room to park car and open door. Tons of storage. I didn't even read the name of the poster and knew it was you once i saw the black fwd car on dollies. Clearly you.

And yes, NX2K confirmed.
Have you been to road atlanta? Man, I'd love to go.
More pix of red SER needed.

XD XD XD XD

#8825222 - 10/20/16 04:00 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: 4age]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Splitter too high off the ground.

Your garage project is eleventy billion times better than that shitbox ser \:D

#8825228 - 10/20/16 04:09 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: 4age]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: 4age
WOW sick garage so very nice.
Lift, plus organized tire space and enough room to park car and open door. Tons of storage. I didn't even read the name of the poster and knew it was you once i saw the black fwd car on dollies. Clearly you.

And yes, NX2K confirmed.
Have you been to road atlanta? Man, I'd love to go.
More pix of red SER needed.

Hah, thanks.

No, I haven't. Apparently the pucker factor is high, with the speeds you can reach there.

Tires and wheels are going to be mounted on racks on the walls eventually. I just can't do three car projects and a garage project - all at once!

#8825239 - 10/20/16 04:15 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Euphoricuck]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Euphoricuck
Splitter too high off the ground.

Your garage project is eleventy billion times better than that shitbox ser \:D

I thought you meant my splitter, but you must mean Mark's. Yeah, to be effective, it could be lower for sure.

Mine is like this (ok, it's actually ripped off the car, and I have no idea where it is in the garage), but I'm lowering it as low as I can. The front nose cone will come off with dzus fasteners, so I can get it on and off the trailer.

The red SE-R visually isn't that much to look at, but it's a nice DD sleeper, since it's turbocharged. It punches way above its weight. I think this is the only pic I have of it.

#8825242 - 10/20/16 04:19 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
looks effin sick. i need to get off my ass and make my shack of a garage a bit better looking.

#8825260 - 10/20/16 04:34 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: titty sprinkles]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Well, I'm not crazy about the plywood, but it's a start.

I really like 12 Gauge Garage, but I think I'm going to paint everything white and install light racks on the ceiling. That green colour in the 12 Gauge Garage is cool, but it will suck up light. I need lots of light to work properly.

I did find another pic in my buddy's shared album with the red SE-R.

#8825269 - 10/20/16 04:45 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

that's exactly what i need to do to mine, paint it all white and install some lights on the top and sides, maybe a new floor too.

how much power do you think you'll make with the GT2871R?

and those sentras are nasty. last time i was in new york my cousin took me to the shop that he gets his 700+hp civic done at, one of the guys there had just a black, stock looking sentra the same year with 400+ hp. thing was a flippin rocket.

#8825300 - 10/20/16 05:12 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: titty sprinkles]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm going to epoxy the floor. I might add a bit of grit to it for traction too.

Yeah, they're surprisingly quick.

I was a little shocked when I sent my ECU for reprogramming to Jim Wolf - Ben, the tech, casually told me 450 hp. Easy reliable 400 hp.

I have three extra transmissions, but I have to turn the wick down a bit. It's still a FWD econobox, and I want to do Time Attack and fender to fender racing, so it has to be reliable.

P.S. I have two sponsors already - OK Tire and a local craft brewery.

#8825316 - 10/20/16 05:26 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

I have also gone against Ben's wishes and I'm running an open wastegate (screamer pipe, whatever you want to call it).

He doesn't like them because I won't be able to hear if the car is detonating. Heck, that's what gauges are for.

I'm turning money into noise here. I want the Full Monty.

#8825319 - 10/20/16 05:28 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

wastegate out the hood! no matter what 400hp will haul ass in that thing, what's full spool going to be around?

#8825322 - 10/20/16 05:30 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
wow! Jelly of the lift
#8825353 - 10/20/16 06:00 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: titty sprinkles]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
wastegate out the hood! no matter what 400hp will haul ass in that thing, what's full spool going to be around?

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't really researched it yet. I scored all this stuff last Spring for $1200 US and I haven't looked at it since.

#8825362 - 10/20/16 06:02 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
wow! Jelly of the lift

It's going to be great! OMG, nut and bolt checks on the underside of the car, no need to benchpress trannies into place, brakes can be done at shoulder height, dammit.

My NX isn't running now, so I literally put a pint of beer on it and then I did this for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TboDmLD0ZU

#8825422 - 10/20/16 06:56 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: spnx
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't really researched it yet. I scored all this stuff last Spring for $1200 US and I haven't looked at it since.

OH, side exit huh? just put a bend up in that downpipe and cut a hole in the hood lol

#8825435 - 10/20/16 07:34 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yes I meant your buddies car.
Looking forward to more garage pics/update.

#8825440 - 10/20/16 07:51 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Euphoricuck]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
i'm interesting in photos of the high lift garage door...

#8825517 - 10/20/16 09:12 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: zaius]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Nice!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8825729 - 10/21/16 07:26 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I have the same garage door opener by the sounds of it (remotely controlled/jack shaft/slows down at 12"/etc). Liftmaster 8500?

I wish I had headroom like that at my place.

#8825764 - 10/21/16 08:14 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
sexytime

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8825842 - 10/21/16 09:38 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Risky Business]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I have the same garage door opener by the sounds of it (remotely controlled/jack shaft/slows down at 12"/etc). Liftmaster 8500?

I wish I had headroom like that at my place.

You're right, it is!

I'll take some pics of the high lift thing. Really, all the guy did was remove the tracks and motor and put them higher.

Oddly, I could have sworn I measured the ceiling at 14' when I moved it, but it's actually only a 12' ceiling.

#8825845 - 10/21/16 09:40 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

"only" 12' LOL I'd kill for that.

And yea for the garage he just installed higher top rails and moved the springs/jack shaft up.

When I moved my garage door I basically became a garage door expert LOL even made my own custom tools to replace the springs. Call me bob villa

#8825861 - 10/21/16 10:00 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Risky Business]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Did you end up cutting rebar to wind the springs? That's what my installer did.
#8825897 - 10/21/16 10:27 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Ok, took some more pics. Obviously, I have to tidy up wiring. And generally tidy up, but...

So from the outside, the garage door is even with the top of the garage opening - no need for it to go any higher (i.e. right up flat against the roof, when it's fully retracted)

The end drive motor is nicely tucked away now. The installer was awesome and didn't like the lack of lateral support in case the door came off the tracks a bit, so he made support trusses. Didn't charge extra. So I did give him a good tip, and also ordered in a pizza, so he had dinner with my little girl, wife and me. The guy spent two days putting in the door, just being really careful and taking his time.

Ok, blurry, wirey

This gives a pretty good idea of how stout the hoist is - look at the size of that bolt. The cables for raising/lowering are the size of elevator cables too.

One of the rolling jacks. They can support 3500 lbs. They're handcranked, so I wouldn't blow all the budget at once, but they can be upgraded by bolting up motors to them.

Solenoid activated deadbolt. Pretty much the only way to get into the garage now is to drive through the door. Have to drive through my truck first, though, since it will box in whichever side the Daimler is on (whenever it comes - I have gearbox issues).

#8825908 - 10/21/16 10:31 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
Very cool, you must be excited to get your baby hemi home!

#8825926 - 10/21/16 10:38 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: zc911]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Oh God, no. It's really pissing me off so much.

I've been back and forth with him - gear whine on overrun. He took the tranny off - I asked if there were chipped teeth. No.

I asked if there were metal flecks in the fluid. No.

I'm actually worrying that it is normal whine. It's a loud gearbox. It actually sounds like a dogbox.

If you listen to it here, you'll see what I mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv_nHIB8WNE

However, Peter Howe has restored other Daimlers, and that gearbox is used on Triumphs and many other British cars of the 1950s and 1960s, so there probably is a problem.

I'm just trying to focus on the 240sx. It's been in the paint shop for the last three weeks - should be done soon. That's a positive.

#8825931 - 10/21/16 10:40 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd enjoy the gear whine.

#8825944 - 10/21/16 10:46 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Euphoricuck]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Actually, I do like the way the gearbox sounds. But it must sound worse than what I posted.

I am still thinking about a PAR gearset for the NX2000 - mostly for, ahem, cool sounds. Ok, and it can take more power too

#8826017 - 10/21/16 11:51 AM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Did you end up cutting rebar to wind the springs? That's what my installer did.

Something along those lines.

Garage is sweet!

#8826056 - 10/21/16 12:20 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Risky Business]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Thank you. I didn't actually expect this many positive comments. I shared these pics with the SE-R/NX2000 list I'm on and there are a lot of picky people on there.

They focused on how I hadn't drywalled and insulated, how messy it was, the lack of shelving and tire racks.

It's all stuff I intend to do, but I haven't done it all at once. It's a work in progress and I'm doing the garage at a pace I can afford.

#8826077 - 10/21/16 12:44 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
SiZ Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Longdon, Ontario
Its a very nice garage!! I just got the 80,000btu mr.heater that's on sale at TSC all the time. I put it in last year at new years, its tits. My shop is 20x30 and this thing hardly has to work at all to get the place up to a balmy 22+. It turns on and runs for about 5 minutes and you're ripping your clothes off. I'm glad I didn't get the 50,000btu unit.

#8826088 - 10/21/16 12:53 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: SiZ]
spnx Offline
Post Master Sr

Oooo, yeah. Searched for it. That's exactly what I want. Ok, good to hear. My natural gas fireplace is through the laundry room on other side of the garage - it will be really easy to pipe it up.
#8826147 - 10/21/16 01:48 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: spnx]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thank you. I didn't actually expect this many positive comments. I shared these pics with the SE-R/NX2000 list I'm on and there are a lot of picky people on there.

They focused on how I hadn't drywalled and insulated, how messy it was, the lack of shelving and tire racks.

It's all stuff I intend to do, but I haven't done it all at once. It's a work in progress and I'm doing the garage at a pace I can afford.

THat's internet forums for you, that's why I can't stand this place sometimes (mostly OT, not Ontario). A bunch of fucks like euphoric chiming in, while their garages are complete piles of shit

Everyone is an expert on the internet after all.

#8826170 - 10/21/16 02:04 PM Re: garage project coming together - did I post this already? [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Looks awesome! I wish my garage was that clean lol

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads