Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8815067 - 10/11/16 09:04 AM So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada

So Phoenix Rage was nice enough to let me drive his BRZ for two sessions at Mosport DDT this weekend. And let me just say, wow. Ridiculous. This car is proper through and though. I was very impressed driving the FRS on the street, but after trying a BRZ on the track, my mind is simply blown. The BRZ/FRS is a monster on the circuit.

Where I have to really wrestle the wagon, the BRZ/FRS is simply composed. The steering response is ecstatic. The car does not simply change direction at a minute tug at the steering wheel - it darts over. Direction change is rapid and pointy. The car is so easy to get pointed to wherever you want the thing to go. Not only that, but the steering feel. Oh wow the steering feel. So much information comes in through the wheel it's insane. I thought a hydro steering rack off a 3 series would be pretty decent. No. It's poo. Compared to the BRZ, there is no comparison. It's like the difference between feeling the ground bare foot vs feeling the ground with shoes on. This car is so good. Where trail braking is a necessity to get most cars to turn, it is simply an option for this car. Moreover, because it is so great at changing direction (and with so much steering feedback), you can really dive bomb into corners at a much higher speed and still get the thing to turn in without washing out. It's nuts.

And that's just the nose of the car. The back end is similarly fantastic. Tons of side bite mid corner. It's super progressive. Honestly, the loud pedal on the thing is like having another steering wheel. One can finely control how much slip angle it has mid corner with no guess work. The amount of fine control over every bit of slip achieved from throttle steering is incredible. It slips slowly, progressively and can hang onto that angle for as long as you wish. It's a drift car out of the box \:D The LSD it has also locks up variably and progressively. More gas = more angle and more lock. The ramp up on that diff is very gradual, making control of the car super easy. On corner exit, the car rockets out of corners. No need to be gingerly around the gas pedal. Just mash and go.

The shifter feel is also excellent. Short, mechanical throws with very positive feel. You know exactly where the shifter is going, and what gear you are going to get. No vagueness. It feels like a real car should. The clutch has no delay valve, so grab is immediate, and the clutch bite is strong. You can pop the clutch at any time and chirp the tires - be it on a straight or mid corner for that clutch kick fun.

The seats are incredible for a street reclinable. They hug me perfectly (and I am a twig), and I can focus on driving rather than focus on holding my body up. As a result, one can rely significantly less on the dead pedal on this car and free up the foot for some more left foot braking work without the need for more physical bracing for the driver through those G forces.

The car is 100% stock other than tires (RE71). I have yet to drive a bone stock car that does not fall on its face on the track. This thing with the showroom stock setup is perfect. There is zero desire or need to make it drive differently. It rotates on the brakes, it rotates on the throttle. It is pointy on entry and the rear axle can be finely controlled all the way from entry through to exit. There is no issue getting power down, and there is no issue in transitions or anything. This thing does not understeer unless you make it understeer. It does not oversteer unless you make it oversteer. It is neutral and it is amazing @_@

Thanks to Ed for trusting me with his CRAZY car and Jon for snapping some sick pics \:\)

For the nerdy, this car did 1:45 in my hands at DDT (2 kink) while driving with reserve - this is not my car, and I am not going to go hog wild in this. It can do a 1:44 easily with just these tires. With some real pads in there, the times can drop even more. That's just insane.

Session video... the funny part where my buddy in his GTS lost his brakes \:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2eOjIcAwxM&t=594

Oh and wagon pic because wagon.

XD XD XD XD

#8815071 - 10/11/16 09:09 AM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: 4age]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Nice write up. Those FRS/BRZ are really good bang for the buck. That's what I've heard from a lot of owners.

#8815078 - 10/11/16 09:22 AM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Just A Troll]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Nice man, yes fun car at track fo'sho, nice balance. tires/pads/lines it's be super fun even with its flat powerband. With good driver always good R battle car.

z0mg Ed had his car at the track!? I think the leafs are due for the Cup this season in that case!! \:D - Wish I was there.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8815094 - 10/11/16 09:34 AM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
It's a super-fun and easy-to-drive platform right out of the box. My only gripe is the throttle mapping
#8815402 - 10/11/16 01:10 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
Nice man, yes fun car at track fo'sho, nice balance. tires/pads/lines it's be super fun even with its flat powerband. With good driver always good R battle car.

z0mg Ed had his car at the track!? I think the leafs are due for the Cup this season in that case!! \:D - Wish I was there.

Hey.. I took the car on the track last year, and watching some of his wagon footage, I was curious to see how he'd do in my car.. plus gives me a chance to see where I can improve.

Suspension is completely stock (other than the RE71R tires), just intake, and stoptech stage 1 brake kit (SS lines/slotted rotors and pads.)

Also, thanks to him, it confirms my feeling that I shouldn't touch the car in terms of suspension parts. Which is nice :).

#8815422 - 10/11/16 01:22 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: phoenixrage]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I want one (someday)
#8815430 - 10/11/16 01:33 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: phoenixrage]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage

Hey.. I took the car on the track last year, and watching some of his wagon footage, I was curious to see how he'd do in my car.. plus gives me a chance to see where I can improve.

Suspension is completely stock (other than the RE71R tires), just intake, and stoptech stage 1 brake kit (SS lines/slotted rotors and pads.)

Also, thanks to him, it confirms my feeling that I shouldn't touch the car in terms of suspension parts. Which is nice :).

Good man. Come out more next year if you can. Then again i barely freakin made it out as it is lol (kid life doe). But yeah that's the best way to start is good tires as such, basic mods and you're good. Learn that way as we all did and no need for more unless you need to.

The only simple thing left would prob be a good alignment more suited to lapping. Nothing nuts that would wears tires like crazy if you DD them. With the right specs the rear will feel even more planted.

#8815450 - 10/11/16 01:42 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: phoenixrage]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
404:stock pads not found.

Still good cars doe. Thanks for the review senna. What a beautiful day. Wish I couldve went.

#8815525 - 10/11/16 02:11 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
The feels !!!
#8815543 - 10/11/16 02:19 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

The only simple thing left would prob be a good alignment more suited to lapping. Nothing nuts that would wears tires like crazy if you DD them. With the right specs the rear will feel even more planted.

Yeah not sure the back end needs to be more planted.
Nothing tire pressures cannot fix. The rear end is very able to play ball as is. I would hate for it to have more toe \:\( FRS may be different, due to the spring and shock valving. but BRZ was spot on for how it is setup.

Oh and Euphoric, those brake upgrades are a down grade XD
I did not trust the pads. Stock honestly felt better. It had no bite. It's bad when a 4000lb wagon is more confidence inspiring under braking. Ed, pls change pads with the quickness.

XD XD XD XD

#8815577 - 10/11/16 02:48 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: 4age]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4age

Yeah not sure the back end needs to be more planted.
Nothing tire pressures cannot fix. The rear end is very able to play ball as is. I would hate for it to have more toe \:\( FRS may be different, due to the spring and shock valving. but BRZ was spot on for how it is setup.

Oh and Euphoric, those brake upgrades are a down grade XD
I did not trust the pads. Stock honestly felt better. It had no bite. It's bad when a 4000lb wagon is more confidence inspiring under braking. Ed, pls change pads with the quickness.

hrm yeah true. i'm going by my old s2k as reference and dat azz needing taming before you would really pin it

#8815598 - 10/11/16 03:04 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Here's my raw footage of my (casual by comparison) drive last year at the DDT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qeyyUAweb4

#8815615 - 10/11/16 03:22 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: phoenixrage]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

your buddy in the GTS can start by hitting apexes and not pinch every corner entry

edit: i have a question. has anyoone ever did a back to back lap comparo and see how much time difference it makes when they don't climb any of the kerbs vs climbing every single one on one of these lapping days?

#8815639 - 10/11/16 03:46 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Lafora]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

^ nope to the kerbs.
I try to avoid when possible. No need to fubar the alignment needlessly.

XD XD XD XD

#8815648 - 10/11/16 03:54 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: 4age]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

^ nope to the kerbs.

not the alignment i'm worried about. the alignment is going to get wrecked anyway. it's more on the longevity of the joints.

speaking of which, you always take that line thru 8, 9, 10?

#8816203 - 10/12/16 08:39 AM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Lafora]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Lafora
^ nope to the kerbs.

not the alignment i'm worried about. the alignment is going to get wrecked anyway. it's more on the longevity of the joints.

Yeah ball joints - I personally take it as a given wear item. I check them post lapping and always intend to replace them every couple of years (if they are going). The bimmer is getting new ball joints, so whatever \:D

Ed said the same thing about 8/9/10. I am fudging around and finding what gets the most speed by the braking zone at the bottom of the hill. I found that the tight line I took in the brz, i can just mat the gas to the floor at the very top of the hill.

XD XD XD XD

#8816756 - 10/12/16 02:35 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: 4age]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Lafora
^ nope to the kerbs.

Yeah ball joints - I personally take it as a given wear item. I check them post lapping and always intend to replace them every couple of years (if they are going). The bimmer is getting new ball joints, so whatever \:D

Ed said the same thing about 8/9/10. I am fudging around and finding what gets the most speed by the braking zone at the bottom of the hill. I found that the tight line I took in the brz, i can just mat the gas to the floor at the very top of the hill.

the lap where you followed the GTS, you ever tried that line at speed? (cuz it wasn't the same line in your 1:45 lap) just seems like the car won't be so tight through 9 and it can get a mega run through 10 all the way to the bottom.

#8816972 - 10/12/16 04:56 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Lafora]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

^I gotta check my videos. Will see!
As for the GTS - that is Aaron btw XD XD XD

XD XD XD XD

#8817059 - 10/12/16 06:38 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: 4age]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

XD

#8817369 - 10/13/16 07:46 AM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: phoenixrage]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

8====D~~~

#8818899 - 10/14/16 02:37 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
< Looks for an used one on the auto trader. \:D
#8818948 - 10/14/16 03:22 PM Re: So I drove a BRZ on the track and it was ridiculous [Re: A2B-Lexus]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

You should! Best car is best.
Really is a fantastic machine. CTR wishes it was this good \:D

XD XD XD XD

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads