Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8804873 - 09/29/16 08:40 PM Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst!
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
Today was an absolute nightmare. The town I live in just outside of Windsor had record breaking rainfall (think they are saying 200mm) and the craziest flooding I have ever seen.

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/windsor-mayor-drew-dilkens-declares-state-of-emergency

http://windsorite.ca/2016/09/photos-basements-roads-flood-in-windsor-and-tecumseh-reader-photos/

I have never seen so many flooded basements in my life. Pretty much all my neighbours were 3'+ of water. My parents live about 4-5km away and they got hit and so did all their neighbours. Couldn't even drive down half the roads around here. All I can say is always be prepared for the worst, if something like this ever happens you won't care how much it cost to install preventative devices.

Everybody should have a backflow preventer on their sanitary.
Everybody should run a abs from their sump pump to the exterior of the home with a valve to switch the sump from storm drain to dumping it directly outside the house.
Also have a water backup pump that is plumbed directly outside. Chances are if its kicking on its because your sump can't push the water into the storm or sewer so spit it out onto your driveway.

I'm still in shock at how many thousands and thousands of homes flooded. Worst part is they're calling for another 70mm overnight. What a shit show of a day.

#8804909 - 09/29/16 09:25 PM Re: Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst! [Re: robbbby]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

My co-worker is originally from Windsor and she was showing me the pics. It's insane. The last serious storm we had in Toronto that flooded the Gardiner we thought about upping our coverage, but we live at the top of a hill, so pretty much the rest of the city would have to flood for it to affect us.

Was your house hit really bad?

I know Risky just a lot of pre-emptive measure during his renos.

#8805100 - 09/30/16 06:37 AM Re: Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst! [Re: Wildout]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

My house was fine except for some slight water that came in through my basement entrance. Totally my fault though since leaves I neglected to clean blocked the drain and water filled up and came through the door. I think I caught it early enough but i'm going to pull the laminate up just to be safe since I have a raised subfloor.
As for uncontrollable flooding, I installed a backflow preventer when I first bought the house and my sump was pumping into the storm drain which is much higher than sanitary. So many people still pump into sanitary thinking its safer than storm, though this totally depends on area and how everything is implemented.

One of the guys I work with has a rental home that is around a rather large man made lake/pond. The pond is used as retention for storm water and was completely flooded. He tried to bypass his sump pump to get it pumping outside and while doing so accidentally pulled the check valve off. He said the water coming back into his house through the "outlet" was like a fire hose running at 120psi. Said it was like fighting a bear trying to get it back on.

Going to be nuts to see what happens today.

#8819308 - 10/15/16 07:21 AM Re: Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst! [Re: robbbby]
compubob Offline
Logs in once a year to say hi
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Soviet Canuckistan
During this weather I was worried about my basement seeing as I haven't tested my pump all summer.. But the sump pit was, and still is bone dry. I'm not sure if that's cause for any concern. My house was moved here and the basement is much newer than the house, it's also higher than any other house around so the water just leaves my property. The pump mostly only runs in the spring when the snow is melting.

I've been in my house for 5 years and already replaced the pump 3 times. I have a water pressure venturi pump waiting to go in as a backup for when I finish my basement over the winter.

Edited by compubob (10/15/16 07:23 AM)

#8819327 - 10/15/16 08:53 AM Re: Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst! [Re: compubob]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I got a quote for installing a backflow preventer valve, it was close to 3 grand. City apparently gives you a rebate of $1200.
#8819337 - 10/15/16 09:42 AM Re: Insane flooding. Always prepare for the worst! [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Do it, best $1800 you will ever spend.

They finally finished collecting all the garbage around here. Garbage pickup was done with backhoes dump trucks.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads