Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8787530 - 09/12/16 08:57 AM New Milk Thread and Track day update :D
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada

Been probably 6 months now. I got a 328 Touring.
Most boring version possible: premium trim, automatic and xdrive.
For Canada, we never got the rwd wagon, so xdrive was the only choice. And for me, the primary purpose of this car was to haul my bike gear + wife to bike races in comfort with plenty of room to spare. This car does that in spades \:D

The original car out of the box didn't drive all that well - tons of feel through the steering, and the motor is a darn peach. But the car has loaded with a bunch of fun sapping features that BMW baked into the xdrive setup. This like BMW variably boosting brake pressure depending on the speed you are going and amount of pedal travel used in the brake. This made for inconsistent braking and the pedal firming up at different spots in the range of travel depending on what speed you hit the brakes at.

It also tries hard to vector power from front to rear axles multiple times in a corner when you're getting the car loose. The transfer case simply bangs the clutch and it makes for abrupt power transfer - the car shifts front and rear each time the clutches are hit. It's like a mild clutch kick. really bad. That and it had brake vectoring and reduces engine power when it calculates when the brakes are overheating (calculates! Not measured!). I coded all of this stuff off, and now it operates with a static 40:60 rear biased awd power distribution, and no brake funkiness. Car drives better.

Car is updated with paddle shifter retrofit, Bilstien stocks and camber plates. Oh and it has the intake manifold and tune out of a 330i - making it a 330i motor (that is the only difference - this wagon now has 255hp vs 230hp originally)

Track video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxCVvs5v-s

As can be seen on the track video - especially at around 3:42, the car rotates quite a lot on entry. Get it setup right for a corner with trail braking, and the back end will rotate very nicely. I set it up like a fwd car (-2.5f, -1r camber, -0.1f, 0.1r toe), and note that the front end toes out under compression (and rear toes out on lift), so the whole car gets loose in a trail braking situation. Hillariously fun on track.

Above, you can see me setting it up for a corner. Look how loaded the front tires are and unloaded the back is - and the camber difference. The back end is near 0 in that situation...and toe would be about 0 as well! I previously had the car lowered - looked sick...however, it drove like ass. Xdrive has reduced shock travel - and despite putting short stroke shocks on it, it bottomed out everywhere. On track, it would ride the bump stops and randomly understeer out of no where. I ended up selling the lowering springs (Eibachs) and went back to the stock xdrive springs. Car is way way way way better. Below is when the car was lowered...it did look damn cool doe.

Up next is m sport bumpers. It already has a bmw performance wheel, so I may as well continue the sport package retro fit and grab the sport seats too \:\) Oh and oil cooler. Car pulls timing on the track big time. Get's way too hot. I removed one of the under panels beneath the transmission and it helped big time - though timing is still pulled. Oil temps get too high, and the cooling system is burdened with cooling both the motor and transmission together.

Car drives great though, and is fun. Probably the only driver focused wagon in existence (ok - other than the Polestar).

For the nerdy, best lap time on ddt was 1:50.
This is on BFG SC2's, which are 380 tread wear tires. With real tires, it'll be in the 1:48 range no problem.

XD XD XD XD

#8787544 - 09/12/16 09:06 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Nice. Love the wagon. Need to the daycare for kids to end so I can start looking at German milk myself
#8787545 - 09/12/16 09:07 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Denis Si]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I'm loving it. Euphoric 2.0 ;\)
#8787684 - 09/12/16 10:54 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
haha nice man.

and cool starry bra.

those front brakes gonna wear out quick lol.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8787750 - 09/12/16 11:39 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
haha nice man.

and cool starry bra.

Dunno. This is the first car in a long line of cars where I do not have to worry about the brakes. Pedal is always solid, and brakes hold up even at DDT.
It's on stock size rotors with nothing but Ferrodo DS2500 front pads and Castrol SRF fluid. Works perfect on the current setup. No fade all day at DDT. It has factory brake ducts which help a lot. And I removed the rotor splash shields which also help a lot \:\)

XD XD XD XD

#8787756 - 09/12/16 11:48 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4age
haha nice man.

and cool starry bra.

Dunno. This is the first car in a long line of cars where I do not have to worry about the brakes. Pedal is always solid, and brakes hold up even at DDT.
It's on stock size rotors with nothing but Ferrodo DS2500 front pads and Castrol SRF fluid. Works perfect on the current setup. No fade all day at DDT. It has factory brake ducts which help a lot. And I removed the rotor splash shields which also help a lot \:\)

nice

#8787785 - 09/12/16 12:10 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
Nice!

#8787836 - 09/12/16 12:41 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: zc911]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Awesome! If you need any coding done let me know. Keep an eye out for a set of beige sport seats as well will ya? \:\)

#8787845 - 09/12/16 12:48 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: zc911]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Nice steering wheel

#8787915 - 09/12/16 01:26 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Euphoricuck]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
that red 86 tho

#8787920 - 09/12/16 01:28 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: phoenixrage]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
that red 86 tho

Yep!
It was on 120 tread wear tires. Gave my buddy's ITR a good run for the money \:D

XD XD XD XD

#8787924 - 09/12/16 01:33 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

wish I had the $$$ for the track time to push my car that hard.

#8787950 - 09/12/16 01:55 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: phoenixrage]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

love the fact that you track a wagon :D. that alignment...nice \:D

i'm not sure if that amount of corner entry rotation in some cases actually hurts you more than helps you.

lemme rephrase: i'm sure it hurts, but i'm not sure if you feel the same.

look at the spots where you turn in once and the car tracks beautifully. the spots where turning-in via the nose gets a bit overzealous and it gets......non-ideal, especially in combination corners. a lot of the mid-exit u/s that i see actually started from that (not sure if you felt those u/s places)

question: when it rotates as you turn it on the nose, you have to get quickly back on the throttle to stop the rotation? but you aren't on full throttle?

#8787993 - 09/12/16 02:34 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Lafora]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Lafora has chimed in!!!
I agree - the amount of entry rotation actually hurts in some cases, and slows down the lap overall. It's entertaining though, and I do not mind that it's a sloppy mess. I have no intention to make this wagon competitive - I just want to have a ton of fun out there driving the snot out of this - and mission accomplished as you can see \:\)

That said, yes there is mid to exit understeer--this happens as soon as I get back on the throttle. Expected, but also necessary...as I get the car to turn in on the nose as you say (trailing brakes - on brakes until car is pointed to turn-in point, no gas until I want rotation to stop). I do not utilize full throttle to stop the rotation - the car will push too much.

That said, I'm at a loss at how to get the car to drive better. My first outing was dreadful (i have a video of that, but it's a snoozefest) with a more typical alignment one would expect on a rwd biased car. I really wanted it to loosen up on entry so I can get it to play ball...and then play with the gas to get the car to play nice from mid corner to exit.

I don't think I'd need to touch the alignment to get it to play nice - I just need to adjust pressures. But again, it's fun as is, and I have it setup this way purposely. My hot pressures are 36f 41r LOL

XD XD XD XD

#8788022 - 09/12/16 02:56 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

^sorry if you already wrote it - but what about thicker adj. front sway bar install? did a bigger one on my s2k (Whiteline 3-way adj) and it helped a lot especially after realignment with more neg camber and 0 toe. eventually left it on the middle setting.

maybe dial in more rear camber as well, no?

i like the toe aspect with and without load, i can totally feel what it'd be doing with your description given lol. before i got toe down on the s2k that shit was super0-d0rift0 even with the slighest excessive turn-in or touch of early throttle trying to exit from apex ha.

also yes changing tires would make a huge difference too as you mentioned.

#8788033 - 09/12/16 03:00 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
car is still looking good! always been a fan of the wagons, the M bumpers will look sick on it.

#8788036 - 09/12/16 03:01 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

^i dont feel like the front end needs to be touched.
It's dialed and I like the way it behaves. To Cyril's point, the car isn't fast because of over rotation in some instances. But it's fun and engaging \:\)

It's the back end that needs to be dialed down, and tire pressures can do a big thing to fix that IMO. I'm actually going to an M3 rear sway bar to get the car to rotate more in lift throttle situations - it currently does not rotate in throttle lift - it only does so under trail braking (talking about 0 elevation here).

EDIT: Problem is combo corners and chicanes as Lafora noted. If the car is already rotating and setup for turn 1, then by turn 2 it's kind of out of shape and understeering on exit...and not ideal to setup for the combo corner. I compensate by either trailing the throttle here (not enough rotation in this scenario doe - which is why i want a bigger rear bar), or by left foot braking to load the nose again. Basically, I'm using the brakes to load the front tires up to get it to "turn on the nose" for the subsequent turn. You can see in the vid I lose time in the s turns and chicanes, but catch everyone up on entry and braking zones \:\/

Edited by 4age (09/12/16 03:05 PM)

XD XD XD XD

#8788041 - 09/12/16 03:05 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

if you want to get rid of the mid-exit u/s, ease off on driving it in on its nose. watch your clip again, every time the turn in isn't affirmative (ie you either turn in gingerly, or you turn it in and have to make a quick adjustment), it washes out by the time you get to the apex and you can't unwind as you want to. interestingly enough, every corner where you CAN turn it in with one firm input, the car just tracks like it's on rails. i won't bore you as to why that happens, but yours is not the first nor the last case that happens. I dare say at this level of driving (ie beginner-intermediate gentleman driver, kids with little car experience regardless of kartiing success) 95% of mid-exit u/s stems from that type of entry behaviour. Tl:DR; if you want to rid of the mid-exit u/s, fix the entry. It'll drive better. you might feel it's less fun, but it'll go where you want it to go when you want it to go.

Second educated guess from your reports and the car's behaviour is the feet are too happy. Either on brakes, or on throttle. GT cars rarely can be driven that way. Karts, yes; formula cars MAYBE (probably not); GT definitely not and I daresay production street cars definitely not. Basically the heavier the cars, and the more compliant the cars, the less you can rock the platform; and every time there's input (wheel, throttle, brake) the platform is being rocked. People who read this probably are thinking "so you're saying there needs to be coasting?" Believe it or not, yes there needs to be coasting. Coasting is when the car handles (and it'll rotate as well), it also lets you get on full power earlier. Name of the game isn't to get on power early, it's to get on FULL power early.

Go on youtube, search DTM, look at Marco Wittmann's recent onboard at race 2 at the nurburgring. I can watch that footwork all day. Confirmation bias aside, if I were to compare that onboard & footwork vs Wickens' footwork at the same race, give me MW's footwork all day, everyday. (one guy finished 3rd, one guy finished 14th btw....even though they're in the top 3 in the driver's standings overall this season)

#8788042 - 09/12/16 03:07 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Lafora]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

now I gotta re-watch my footage from DDT.

#8788044 - 09/12/16 03:08 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

interesting. you would think that the ass-end would be a little happy. the thicker swaybar should help with that tho.

front end does look good but something like this would be nice and aggressive to match the wheels.

i do like rice tho. lol

#8788055 - 09/12/16 03:17 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Lafora]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Thanks. I'm going to search up the Wittmann video you mentioned.
FWIW I don't *think* I am foot happy. I am coasting very often. I don't touch the power until I want the car to track out - usually that happens after I get the car pointed into the apex via trail braking. Thing is, the car pushes on power (open diffs here!), so my steering unwind is not as quick as optimal.

That said, I recognize the issue espeically in combo corners - turning this way is not the fastest way to do it. Totally get it. I am just having a ball out there. I'd rather be slower and have fun, than kick arse and not have fun - my S4 was the latter and I got tired of it quickly. I'll look to be less zealous about trail braking it in all over just to get the ass to come around next time. I'm sure it'll be faster. It's just...... I cannot resist XD XD XD

ESP in the wet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PpGodDX-gg
bahaha. Tires got too much scrub in a couple corners doe.

XD XD XD XD

#8788061 - 09/12/16 03:21 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

still boggles the mind you track a wagon XD
#8788285 - 09/12/16 07:46 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Lafora]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Is this car in addition to the s4?

#8788304 - 09/12/16 08:04 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: JEFFOS]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Don't worry jeff, no one balls more than you;)
#8788350 - 09/12/16 09:03 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I don't ball at all - I'm homeless

#8788558 - 09/13/16 08:05 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: JEFFOS]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS

No.
Stupid but, I traded the S4.
I was paying 550 a month to finance something that I grew to not like very much.
Not very driver involving and too clinical of a performance drive. It's very capable, but took no skill to go fast. Didn't find it worth while to continue paying for something which I did not enjoy. Got rid of it > got the wagon > pocketed some money and now I have no car payments.

Crazy, right? XD Car ADD right here for sure.

XD XD XD XD

#8788560 - 09/13/16 08:07 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

No.
I was paying 550 a month to finance something that I grew to not like very much.
Not very driver involving and too clinical of a performance drive. It's very capable, but took no skill to go fast. Didn't find it worth while to continue paying for something which I did not enjoy. Got rid of it > got the wagon > pocketed some money and now I have no car payments.

almost similar feeling i had with teh STI but in addition it was a gas pig lol.

sounds like you need an AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH

or better yet get a DD and first gen NSX as track toy ;\)

#8789492 - 09/13/16 10:02 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There

No.

time for you to go back to basics like Risky

maybe go back to a 91 EF Civic with no power steering, crank windows. Light weight and VTEC...dat feelz

#8789595 - 09/14/16 07:54 AM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: iamfob]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
And zip ties

#8789964 - 09/14/16 01:54 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

No.

almost similar feeling i had with teh STI but in addition it was a gas pig lol.

sounds like you need an AAAAAAARRRGGGHHH

or better yet get a DD and first gen NSX as track toy ;\)

I actually seriously think about the NSX.
But in reality, if you had one, would you track it?
With most groups - I probably wouldn't due to lack of safety. That's not exactly a car that is easily fixable (body wise) if something went awry. Would need to go to baller track days with less cars/people and more open track \:\)

BTW a guy following the wagon on track said I lift the inside rear tire everywhere. Bahaha. On stock sways. Brilliant. I tried it on the street and yup, you can feel it. And if you have the wheel in the air and get on the gas > and the wheel drops back down, there will be a jolt from the drive line shock and the wheel hitting the tarmac with traction again. A bmw that tripods...in the back. Yes XD XD XD

XD XD XD XD

#8790043 - 09/14/16 02:49 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I'd love to track the 335d but I'd be afraid I'd bust something

#8790109 - 09/14/16 03:39 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: LNXGUY]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I'd love to track the 335d but I'd be afraid I'd bust something

Go to a day with instructors.
Worth doing - you will learn a lot of car control and it applies to daily driving. Trillium BMW club is inexpensive and their instructed track days are dirt cheap at Mosport (250 a weekend???).

XD XD XD XD

#8790111 - 09/14/16 03:40 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

track days are dirt cheap

Said no one ever

#8790162 - 09/14/16 04:28 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Sir Risky Business
track days are dirt cheap

Said no one ever

Lulz, stock pads will be cooked on the 335d after a few laps

#8790183 - 09/14/16 05:00 PM Re: New Milk Thread and Track day update :D [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

^when's your new milk thread?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads