Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8727671 - 07/18/16 07:24 AM Why do asians gotta be racist too?
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration...ommunities.html

Interesting read, especially since they have both Japanese and Korean person talking about racism, yet out of all Asians they are probably the most racist \:o

A group that represents young Asian Canadians is taking an anti-black racism education program to their parents, grannies, uncles and aunties to help break down longstanding tensions between the two minority groups.

In light of the backlash against Black Lives Matter, the aftermath of Toronto’s Pride parade and recent police gun violence in the U.S., hundreds of Asian Canadians plan to launch a letter campaign this week reaching out to elders in their own communities.

The campaign, which follows a similar effort in the United States, aims to create a space for “open and honest conversations” about racial justice, police violence and anti-blackness in Canada’s Asian diasporas.

“The letter is meant to help Asians start having conversations within their own communities about anti-black racism, and specifically, about the anti-black racism that Asians are complicit in,” said Ren Ito, a Japanese Canadian from Toronto and one of the organizers of the Canadian campaign.

“The reality, though, is that different Asian communities are shaped by race and racism in different ways. And this means that different communities have different needs when it comes to starting conversations about anti-black racism or even about racism in general.”

A similar letter effort by Asian Americans was spurred by the recent killings of Alton Sterling in Louisiana and Philando Castile in Minnesota.

“For some of us in Canada and in Toronto in particular, the timing was also apt because we’ve had to deal with controversy and racist backlash against Black Lives Matter-Toronto for their actions during the Pride parade to hold Pride Toronto accountable for its marginalization of queer and trans people of colour,” said Ito, 28, who came here with his family from Japan at age 2 and is a PhD student at the University of Toronto.

The letters are being translated into Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Chinese, Hindi, Farsi, Punjabi, Tamil, Urdu, Spanish and Arabic to help supporters from these communities reach out to their peers and their own ethnic media, said Anita Ragunathan, another campaign organizer.

“I began the conversation about anti-black racism within our community with my parents following the murder of Trayvon Martin in Florida (in 2012). It’s an ongoing conversation, and I am hopeful that this letter will help them understand why this is so important to me and others in our generation,” said Ragunathan, 27, who was born in Toronto to Tamil immigrant parents.

“To refuse to speak against racism is to be complicit in allowing it to happen.”

Another organizer, Sun, an artist and educator who has gone by one name for about 10 years, said anti-blackness is almost a given in many Asian communities.

“Many of our communities conform and internalize these ideas in very deep and unconscious ways. This is problematic, and we need to work towards unlearning these oppressive ideas so we can build healthier communities,” said Sun, who came to Canada from Korea when she was 5.

“The media is complicit in perpetuating these biases. Our parents turn on their televisions and see images of black men as ‘thugs’ and ‘criminals.’ Victims of police brutality are not treated as such. Instead of their humanity being the focus, we hear about their records alongside photos that are meant to make them look menacing. We are brainwashed to forget that these men and women are fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters.”

Sun had first-hand exposure to her community’s anti-black sentiment when her father disowned her six years ago because she had a black partner.

“I have not spoken with (my father) since,” said Sun, 30. “My mother is more sympathetic to this issue but doesn’t yet know of my involvement (in the letter campaign). I am waiting for the Korean translations to begin this conversation with her.

“Sometimes it is easier to talk about how our own communities are oppressed versus acknowledging how our communities perpetuate the oppression.”

The letter campaign is seeking more volunteers to help translate the letter into more languages.

#8727675 - 07/18/16 07:42 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Denis Si]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/17/asian-canadians-launch-letter-campaign-to-address-racism-in-their-own-communities.html

Interesting read, especially since they have both Japanese and Korean person talking about racism, yet out of all Asians they are probably the most racist \:o

tr00f

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8727677 - 07/18/16 07:52 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/17/asian-canadians-launch-letter-campaign-to-address-racism-in-their-own-communities.html

tr00f

Whites of Asia iirc

#8727793 - 07/18/16 09:48 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Denis Si]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Everyone is racist, don't exclude Asians here.
Your assumption of Asians not being racist, is racism and ignorance.

Equity man!

#8727817 - 07/18/16 10:04 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: porschetr]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: porschetr

Equity man!

Equity man!

Equity man!

Equity man!

Equity man!

Equity man!

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8727943 - 07/18/16 11:37 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
My hak gwai self will slink away now. Even the yellow man hates the black man? \:o
#8727949 - 07/18/16 11:40 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

You really surprised Wayne? FOB Asians are not exactly fond of blacks
#8727964 - 07/18/16 11:50 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Denis Si]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Why though? I mean white people are still mad at losing their free labour source, but asians have no reason. Bandwagon jumpers?
#8727967 - 07/18/16 11:52 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

From the asian living in my home: blacks are a bunch of criminals!

#8727974 - 07/18/16 11:57 AM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Just A Troll]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll
From the asian living in my home: blacks are a bunch of criminals!

Considering how little interaction there is between Asian FOBs and blacks, how does this opinion come about?

#8727978 - 07/18/16 12:01 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

See my post about the 3 black kids a few weeks ago. My other half is Chinese. My immediate neighbours are Chinese. About half the complex seems to be populated with Chinese.

Sometimes the stereotype is actually rooted in reality!

Edited by Just A Troll (07/18/16 12:02 PM)

#8728122 - 07/18/16 01:53 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Just A Troll]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

But how many Asians fobs (not CBCs) have been robbed by blacks, I'd say thats anecdotal at best
#8728139 - 07/18/16 02:03 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

1992 LA riot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

-The 1992 Los Angeles riots, also known as the Rodney King riots,
-Widespread looting, assault, arson, and killings occurred during the riots, and estimates of property damage was over $1 billion.
-Stores owned by Koreans and other Asian ethnicities were widely targeted

Religion of peace eh? ...oh wait. Wrong people

#8728141 - 07/18/16 02:03 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
most fobs don't take care of their properties, so it probably won't be appealing to potential thieves.

Edited by phoenixrage (07/18/16 02:03 PM)

#8728147 - 07/18/16 02:05 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: porschetr]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

1992 LA riot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

-The 1992 Los Angeles riots, also known as the Rodney King riots,
-Widespread looting, assault, arson, and killings occurred during the riots, and estimates of property damage was over $1 billion.
-Stores owned by Koreans and other Asian ethnicities were widely targeted

to be fair, gardena (mini-k-town in LA area) is like right next to the "black" areas..

#8728169 - 07/18/16 02:15 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: phoenixrage]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Doesn't matter.
It happened.

The news spread all over the world include to Asia.
I was like 10 at that time and I firmly remember watching that.

Things group of blacks do, then and now, just feeding the already negative images.
I was listening to a couple of old men talking yesterday. Highly educated Jewish man (WW vet) and an Italian son-in-law. They were saying,,,
Here, Italians, Jews got out of poverty by working hard and going back to the community to help and raise their status. Blacks had 300 years to fix it, but the successful ones just want to get out of their community and join the whites.
Can't blame them. A lot of blacks get killed by blacks.

I watched a documentary film the other day, Hampton something, showing celebrities coming from that area. One rapper was saying he wanted to stay in the community and did. But one day a bullet went through his windshield and hit the seat where his daughter normally sits. The car was parked in front of his house. He got out of there ASAP.

#8728188 - 07/18/16 02:26 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: porschetr]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

that part I agree. A lot of it is self perpetuated.

#8728189 - 07/18/16 02:26 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: porschetr]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Highly educated and he said blacks had 300 years to fix it?
#8728224 - 07/18/16 02:50 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Big Tasty Online   pandAr
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto

#8728272 - 07/18/16 03:34 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Glad you found something to laugh from that.
I am sure he meant "a long time" and it wasn't even the Jewish guy who said it.

#8728389 - 07/18/16 05:16 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: porschetr]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
They don't even need to be vicitimized by one. It's a result of stereotyping. When you watch the news reports of crimes, and the person wanted is black the majority of the time, you develop a stereotype that blacks are criminals and should stay away from them. When a large proportion of the older Asians stick to themselves when they go out, they never even give it a chance to change their perception. Those of us that are born here and/or interact with all different cultures knows better.

#8728463 - 07/18/16 06:56 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: SW20_MR2]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada

#8728500 - 07/18/16 07:26 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper

*Dead*

#8730047 - 07/19/16 10:58 PM Re: Why do asians gotta be racist too? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads