Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8668954 - 05/24/16 07:35 AM now.....wait for it.....and actual car question!
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
Whenever I buy a new car I always change the tranny, oil but on the SX it has diffs too and I've never done diffs before.

I usually use a synthetic tranny fluid when I do that so I'm thinking of doing the same in the diffs on the SX. Any suggestions from the awd peeps? I was thinking of royal purple from Crappy rather than motormaster.
Tranny and diff oils are easy to change on this one so I might do it every 25-30 going forward. depends how lazy i get as the years go by. As it is right now I do about 10k a year but thats only because I live really close to work, which will be changing soon times as I progress through CPA.

Also, anyone use Motul in their cars? I was thinking of going Motul in the Mini for my next change. I only change the oil once a year on that one cuz it has like 8k or something interchange interval but I don't do anywhere near that so i'll just change it every summer. Did the first change last summer, took it to my mechanic and they used Mobil 1 Syn, but not a fan of Mobil 1 actually and will be doing my own changes going forward.

#8668976 - 05/24/16 08:18 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Raocorp]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
in the STI i used the oem fluid but when lapping i switched it to redline and it seemed good. quieter for sure. i can assume it holds (held up) better than the oem stuff. can't go wrong with motul here either, or maybe even royal purple if they make diff fluid? amsoil is another option.

as for motul, i run the 8100 xcess in the R and it's great. switch over from mobil 1. for honda/acura specific, the older RDX oil is awesome as well as it's highly rated. rotella T6 apparently is very good too as are some other brands like above.

Edited by Screamin DC2R (05/24/16 08:18 AM)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8669094 - 05/24/16 10:16 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
Check the manual for specs on the diff fluid before you buy any.
When I changed the fluid in my wife's SX4 I went with synthetic castrol.

In my jeep I went with royal purple because it had friction modifier for the limited slip

Oh and almost any oil will be fine as long as you change it regularly.

Edited by zc911 (05/24/16 10:18 AM)

#8669095 - 05/24/16 10:18 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: zc911]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
This is highly recommended for buttery smooth shifts.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid/

#8669128 - 05/24/16 10:33 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: c2k]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

GM Synchromesh is good too apparetnly.

#8669170 - 05/24/16 10:53 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: c2k]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R
in the STI i used the oem fluid but when lapping i switched it to redline and it seemed good. quieter for sure. i can assume it holds (held up) better than the oem stuff. can't go wrong with motul here either, or maybe even royal purple if they make diff fluid? amsoil is another option.
as for motul, i run the 8100 xcess in the R and it's great. switch over from mobil 1. for honda/acura specific, the older RDX oil is awesome as well as it's highly rated. rotella T6 apparently is very good too as are some other brands like above.

Amsoil, thats the other one I couldn't remember. Have to check their offerings

Originally Posted By: zc911
Check the manual for specs on the diff fluid before you buy any.
When I changed the fluid in my wife's SX4 I went with synthetic castrol.
In my jeep I went with royal purple because it had friction modifier for the limited slip
Oh and almost any oil will be fine as long as you change it regularly.

dex 3 atf for tranny, and 80w90 for the diffs.
I might try the royal purple for the diffs as its supposed to be good. crappy only has 75w90 so I'll have to source my needs elsewhere.

using oem isn't really an option in my case unless I want it overnighted from Japan lol

Originally Posted By: c2k

SX4 is auto

#8669188 - 05/24/16 11:01 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Raocorp]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I always raise an eyebrow when people discuss/debate fluid quality/performance without lab data

Anyway, I have nothing to add. Mobil 1 in the M3 was shit, would burn a L easy. Mobil 1 (different viscosity) in the TL is great, no burning, stays clean.

I honestly don't even think it matters, buy whatever is on sale.

#8669328 - 05/24/16 12:41 PM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Risky Business]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Follow the specs it calls for. Pick your poison.

#8669350 - 05/24/16 12:56 PM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Euphoricuck]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
Follow the specs it calls for. Pick your poison.

Venom Piss!

#8669360 - 05/24/16 01:02 PM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Piss on it

#8672044 - 05/26/16 11:12 AM Re: now.....wait for it.....and actual car question! [Re: phoenixrage]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

I usually check the car specific car forums to make sure there's not something specific that the manufacture makes for the car.

If not Motul/Amsoil has always gotten good analysis on BITOG

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads