Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8662957 - 05/18/16 06:38 PM uuuugh IT Band..
charlie_td1 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DC
marathon training starts in 2 weeks and I'm having IT Band issues...I'm doing 4-5 mile runs at a slightly slower than normal pace 4 times a week, and not having too much pain, but it's getting close to crunch time and I'm getting nervous... \:\(
#8663304 - 05/19/16 12:13 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: charlie_td1]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
The one time I had it I had It early on in my endurance career I had to take a full month of with zero running to shake it.

#8663378 - 05/19/16 06:26 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: Sir Ironpool]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
Do LOTS of hip flexor stretching before/after exercise. You can't actually stretch your IT band, it's like a piece of sheet metal but you can stretch your hip flexors where the IT band attaches. I had really bad IT band issues years ago from cycling, just absolutely awful knee pain that kept me off the bike for a long time. Started stretching the fuck out of hip flexors and continue to do so, I've never had problems since and I ride more than ever now.
#8663517 - 05/19/16 09:07 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: robbbby]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
My IT band only feels sore when I foam roll it, but I know it's tight as fuck. My hips are the culprit. They are TIGHT and I stretch a lot which helped a bit. I think sitting at a desk is what fucks me.

I've never had any issues cycling though other than some minor knee irritation (not even bad enough to call it pain). It's running that bothers my hips, soleus and gives me some achilles tendonitis.

#8663681 - 05/19/16 10:55 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: Impulsive]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
go see a sports therapist and have it massaged and then look at ways on how to maintain it, roll it out, do your own maintenance. You don't drive your car and not change the oil every time it's due so why perform an endurance sport and not take care of your limbs you use to perform it.

#8663738 - 05/19/16 11:31 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: 137]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Agree on the PT. They'll narrow down the issue (muscle imbalance, leg alignment, etc) and recommend targeted exercises to keep it in check. Anything else is just a crapshoot.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8663786 - 05/19/16 12:06 PM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
I'm hardly an expert but my go-to move in this scenarios is to take 4-6 weeks off [minimum or longer if it isnt feeling better but so far 4 weeks seems to do the trick]. In my downtime I focus on non running and even non biking as that can aggravate a running related thing to. So I just swim and do weights/stretch.

It's like a nice mini-vacation. Much better to roll into a marathon healthy/undertrained a little than injured ofc. Plus you can always bail. I think I have a new rule now: if sick/injured: bail on your event. Watched a buddy do the SF half last month with a nasty headcold. He looked like absolute shit, went 20 minutes over expected time, and proved absolutely nothing to himself haha.

#8671515 - 05/26/16 12:30 AM Re: uuuugh IT Band.. [Re: charlie_td1]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Do this often:

Foam roller on IT band

still have an EM1--go figure

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads