Topic Options
#2943927 - 08/22/08 04:59 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: FCobra94]
ResisterGo Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Buffalo NY
 Originally Posted By: FCobra94
 Originally Posted By: ResisterGo
 Originally Posted By: BigBadBlack93Z
is like 4 pounds boosted on blower 8 if turbo but intercoolered with water sometimes 100 shot but wet then 2 step off the 8 71.

I really wish I could remember the original quote you're parodying. That was a classic thread.

Was it the one where DopeSi was explaining OB1's knowledge behind buying his truck?

No, like mentioned above, it was some noob asking about weightlifting advice (we think). His post looked like a copy of weightlifters for dummies had a bad case of diarrhea all over the post. Totally unintelligible. And hilarious.

Videos
#2949868 - 08/25/08 07:10 AM Re: what would u prefer [Re: ResisterGo]
FCobra94 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
Oh yeah, I saw a recap of that thread over the weekend and it totally had me thinking SvA

#8624878 - 04/15/16 09:27 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: Brockstar]
96lapis coupe Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: acquiring satellites.....
 Originally Posted By: Brockstar
what would u prefer turbo or super charger.
Turbo hurts ur engin but i think it give u more power dose it????

Yes

#8625329 - 04/16/16 06:21 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: 96lapis coupe]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Both.

Actually I'm fine with just a turbo I5, but it's kind of cool.

#8626017 - 04/17/16 10:25 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: Brockstar]
A_Mantis Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Valley of the Sun
 Originally Posted By: Brockstar
what would u prefer turbo or super charger.
Turbo hurts ur engin but i think it give u more power dose it????

No gym from home...

#8632482 - 04/22/16 08:56 AM Re: what would u prefer [Re: A_Mantis]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD
I don't have a lot of confidence in those T5/T6 engines.
I get it: lower emissions, lower displacement...
I wholeheartedly think Volvo is the right group of engineers for the job, but man.... I don't know how this is going to go. Look at the S/C...sitting directly over the manifold/turbo, and likely right up against the firewall. It's like heat/failure city in there!

#8633542 - 04/22/16 08:42 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: g96nt]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well, BMW's plastic coolant system parts haven't stopped those sales. Maybe Volvo will just call everything that melts a "wear item".

Though personally, I'd rather just stick with an I5 and a single turbo (and a manual gearbox)

#8635545 - 04/25/16 12:46 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: scootergeek]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm curious, though I always wonder why engines would have issues in this day and age with all the testing done. I mean, Ford bragged about torture testing the ecoboosts, yet I've heard they aren't very reliable.

I just wish Volvo would have done a bit more freshening to their lineup.

#8636261 - 04/25/16 10:02 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: Impulsive]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I'm curious, though I always wonder why engines would have issues in this day and age with all the testing done. I mean, Ford bragged about torture testing the ecoboosts, yet I've heard they aren't very reliable.

It's harder to simulate time and neglect than companies are will to admit.

Manufacturers should test their cars with just random used oil from Jiffy Lube changed at completely random intervals to better imitate the suffering cars owned by non car people experience.

#8659240 - 05/15/16 02:28 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: scootergeek]
DomesticPower Offline
Post Master

Loc: USA
A turbo is MUCH easier on parts than any other power adder and you can even make the argument with NA thrown in at high specific outputs. It's the idiots who do not know how to tune that give turbocharging a bad name.

Supercharging is the same damn thing, both are glorified air compressors but the turbo relies on exhaust energy for "power" and that doesn't necessarily mean backpressure, especially once under full boost with the wastegate partially or mostly open. For the same measured hp, a supercharged engine will have to actually make more hp and more stress on the bottom end because the supercharger eats up some of that power. For a given RWHP, the supercharged car will require slightly more fuel which has to be accounted for when designing the setup. So at the same rwhp, a turbo car is easier on engine internals than a supercharger.

You can throw in the fact that the compressor side of a turbo is usually lots more efficient than a supercharger with only a "laggy" centrifugal blower matching a turbo's compressor efficiency with comparable charge air temps but you still have that pesky belt zapping power and most make boost according to rpm where a turbo makes boost according to load. In other words, the turbo car will likely have much more power "under the curve".

IMO, one of the biggest advantages to a modern turbo car is that the turbo completely shapes the power curve and determines where peak torque will be made. You now have small engines making tons of torque and some are doing so at very low rpm. Where ever the turbo can hit full boost, you're at full torque. If you prefer the naturally aspirated-like powerband you can shape the boost curve to kill the wonderful bottom end torque and have it ramp up more like a NA car but with lots more power.

My GN makes a peak of 620lbs to the tires at 2,800rpm which happens to be the stall speed of the converter, I'm sure peak torque would be even lower if it had a lower stall. It holds that torque for a few thousand rpm. The only way to make good low rpm power is to make tons of low rpm torque. It drives like a 600 cube big block, not like a high strung 6 banger. My 4 banger '14 328 is even more impressive with 290lbs to the wheels at 1,500rpm yet pulls hard to 7k. You will never, ever, get that kind of torque and power from a 2.0L without a turbo. It drives like a healthy non performance V8 car, not like a laggy high boost 4 banger that makes full boost right before it's time to shift.

The low rpm power can be hard on bearings but as long as you run an oil with a high enough HTHSv and don't have toothpick sized rods like my TL does, you'll be fine. I knew back in the mid '90s that one day most cars would be turbocharged and one day the V8 guys would begin applying the same technology that I've enjoyed all of these years and that time has come. Now you have fully streetable LSx cars that idle smooth and near stock quad cam Mustangs making an easy 750hp that drive just like a stocker with the help of an air compressor.

Direct injection is partially responsible for the explosion of forced induction from the factory scene lately. Now manufactueres can run respectable boost levels on 91 octane while maintaining the same compression ratio as they had without boost. Compression means little for power production but what makes it very important for a manufacturer is the much larger effect it has on MPG. With DI, you can have your cake and eat it too, overlooking the toothing problems they've had with it.

I'm going off topic now. Supercharging and turbocharging are both using air compressors to get more air in the cylinders. The turbo will usually do it at a lower temperature since the compressor is more efficient at a given boost and CFM over a blower and most turbos are accompanied by an intercooler while only some supercharged cars are intercooled (but more and more are being added to the list).

Nitrous tends to be harder on parts but to be fair, a lot of that is also a lack of tuning.

Even compared to naturally aspirated, at the same power and at the same displacement, a turbo car does not require that it be revved to the moon to make respectable hp, while to get that NA car to be in the same ballpark, you've likely got the best heads money can buy, a huge cam, a built bottom end, and you're revving it to the limits of the valve train and bottom end.

In the end, people need to stop romanticizing turbocharging and understand it better. When naturally aspirated, the engine has to suck air into the cylinders. Your range of throttle is ~20" vacuum to nearly 0" vacuum at full throttle. A turbo car expands this range. Now you can go from -20" at idle to +30psi at full throttle. That's it. But for some reason when you cross over from vacuum into positive manifold pressure people lose all common sense and reason and think something magical and unexplainable happens. You're just shoving more air into the cylinders and going from a vacuum to a positive pressure. Mine hits zero vacuum/zero boost at around 1/4 throttle. This would be full power if I was NA. Luckily I have another 30psi to go and luckily the turbo starts assisting by 1,500rpm, giving a big, fat, wide powerband and the cam/heads allow it to pull to 6,200rpm which is too much for the stock bottom end anyway.

Last, with today's awesome turbo choices, if you run into a car that uses a blower and a turbo and it's not a 2 stroke diesel, it's all for looks/marketing/cool factor. Today's turbos spool so well while supporting the top end so well, the blower is just dead weight. It's not like the late '90s when in order to make 600whp on a V6 and not run a Supra-like 13 sec 1/4 or pull a 3.3 60', a 50shot was needed to make it spool that would shut off at 10psi on a Hobbs switch. I forgot the original question lol.

One last thing about the Ecoboosts, while I have very little experience with them, I've had to change plugs in some family members' cars. Most had a tiny crack in the porcelain that would short to ground once cylinder pressure and the accompanying additional resistance across the gap would make it ground at the spark plug tube. In other words, they ran fine until they went under boost. Others just needed a smaller gap and I've never liked iridium plugs or even platinum plugs for boosted engines. Regular $2 plugs have always worked the best for me. Driving around with a misfire for long periods of time is obviously bad for fuel dilution (rings/cylinders/oil/catalytic converters/fuel trims based off of a false reading from the 02s. This might be partically to blame for failures. The ECU sees a false rich condition from the misfire and leans the whole bank (or whole engine) out until it sees the right AFR but in real life, one cylinder is sending raw fuel through the exhaust while the others are running lean. Even with DI, preignition (and to a lesser degree, detonation) can occur especially on the misfiring cylinder and preignition is the much worse condition. I'm sure the water in the intercooler doesn't help things either.

#8659243 - 05/15/16 02:29 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: DomesticPower]
DomesticPower Offline
Post Master

Loc: USA
Just realized my sig is a decade out of date lol.

#8978865 - 03/20/17 10:00 PM Re: what would u prefer [Re: FCobra94]
ypMs Offline
Jr Poster

nike air max running shoes
christian louboutin outlet
Air Max 90
Adidas Shoes Discount Marketplace
Nike Air Jordan 11
scarpe hogan outlet
ugg clearance
Adidas Originals Superstar
Oakley Sunglasses Cheap
Kobe Shoes Nike
Nike Shoes Discount Marketplace
cheap uggs
Air Max Pas Cher
Original Ugg Boots
canada goose jackets on sale
nike mercurial soccer cleats
chaussure Nike homme
zapatillas running
Doudoune Moncler Femme Pas Cher
Jordan Sneakers For Sale
toms sale
Pandora Store Sale
Adidas Originals Stan Smith
Canada Goose Outlet
new yeezy shoes
ugg store
Ray Ban Sunglasses Online
moncler jacket sale
Ray ban sale online
Nike Air Sneakers
Nike Shoes Sale Store
Michael Kors
nike schuhe günstig
The official UGG
fitflops sale uk
Canada Goose Outlet
adidas outlet
Nike Zapatos
Michael Kors Handbags Discount
pandora outlet store
air force one pas cher
Nike Online Store
adidas store
Nike Air Women
goedkope nike air max
Coach Bags On Sale
Air Nike
Air Max Sneakers
Adidas Neo Discount Sale
converse store
Hugo Boss Sale
Pandora Store
zapatillas nike baratas
Nike Shox Cheap
Ray-Ban Official Discounted Site
new jordan releases
UGG BOOTS FOR WOMEN
Boost Yeezy Sale On Line
uggs outlet
nike jordan shoes
zapatilla adidas
ADIDAS NMD SALE ON LINE
religion store
Discount Air Max
pandora jewelry store
nfl store
huarache sneakers
longchamp bags on sale
Negozi Pandora
Nike Roshe Run Sale
nike joggesko
Boutique Ugg
moncler outlet
TOMS SHOES OUTLET
nike air
abercrombie and fitch store
Jordan Shoes Air
nike shoes
Doudoune Moncler Pas Cher
zapatos de futbol nike
chaussure basket homme
Canada goose dam
Nike Air Huarache For Sale
billige nike sko
Chaussure Nike Air Max Pas Cher
Nike Soccer Cleats Boots
Moncler Sale
Uggs Pas Cher Soldes
Michael Kors Outlet
Nike Air Max Goedkoop
botas de futbol
Pandora Official Website
louboutin heels
Ugg boots Sale
Yeezy Black
Hogan Outlet
cheap nike air max
Nike Factory Store
new pandora charms
Cheap Michael Kors
Vans Black Sneakers
Jordan Schoenen
Soccer Boots Outlet nike
prada outlet
canada goose jacket outlet
Nike Air Pas Cher
Scarpe Air Max
nike air jordan pas cher
nike sportschuhe
hogan scontate
Air Max Kopen
Air Jordan Retro Sale
Air max dam
Air max levně
Timberland Outlet
cheap uggs for women
newest lebron shoes
ugg factory outlet
Descuentos Nike
Yeezy Boost Sale Online
Nike Air Max Cheap
Pandora Store
Nike Shox discount Sale
nike sb stefan janoski
Ugg Pas Cher En France
nike sneakers
Ugg Outlet Online Store
Stone Island Outlet
Moncler Jackets Discount Marketplace
Moncler Outlet Online
scarpe nike
Doudoune Moncler Site Officiel
Nike Air Damen
womens nike air max
Air Max Femme
Boty Nike Air
Adidas Superstar
Bottes Ugg Femme Pas Cher
Yeezy Shoes Discount Marketplace
Adidas Superstar Sale Online
Moncler Outlet Store
Ugg Pas Cher Femme
nike tn pas cher
pandora beads
Nike Air 90
chaussures nike pas cher
Canada Goose Womens Coats
reebok running shoes
retro jordans for cheap
günstige nike schuhe
Yeezy Men
official NHL jerseys
Nike Store
Toms Outlet Online
uggs for women
vans shoe store
Nike Pas Cher Femme
Jordan Store
toms shoes outlet
coach factory outlet online
Uggs For Cheap

ypMs 2017.3.21

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads