Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8617496 - 04/09/16 10:25 AM I just ran a 5K ...
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Boston, MA
My 6yr-old's school ran a fundraiser and being busy parents, I had no time to get him to raise money so the day his form was due I looked at this and said "screw this I'll just sign up for the 5K myself" and paid the $30 pledge.

Only problem is I don't run! Especially not since ACL reconstruction 11 years ago. The only "cardio" I do on a regular basis is Krav Maga twice a week but it's more akin to interval training than sustained running.

Anyway, I officially clocked in at 26:31, but since I showed up late I got stuck at the end of the pack and had to work my way up so probably lost some time there. Then at mile 2 I had a nasty side stitch that I labored through until the end but I kept the pace (8:22/mile that Runkeeper was telling me).

Oh, average heart rate = 190, is that too high?

I'm sore as fuck now, popped two Advils and am sitting on the couch.

CN: Can't believe you guys do this for fun.

#8617514 - 04/09/16 11:12 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
That's amazing for a non runner, I would have guessed 10 mins slower, holy crap. I was 30m++ don't want to admit when I tried as an off-the-coucher

Good job man

#8617526 - 04/09/16 11:31 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Gab

I know every body's different but I don't think my heart has ever hit 190bpm, much less average it for a 5K \:o \:o

EDIT:

I had a couple false starts with running in college before it really took. I'd go out and run 3-5 miles and be absolutely beat and ask myself "how in the hell does anyone run marathons?? this is NUTS!" and I'd keep at it for a month or two and then just burn out because it was so freaking hard. Well the last time I did that I had one of those Nike+ things you tie to your shoe laces and it gives you distance/pace via counting strides. Anyway, according to that I was going out and running 7:30 miles for 3-5 miles each time and that's why it was so freaking hard and terrible. Running's a lot more fun when you're not gasping for air each and every run. Now I go out and do easy runs in the 11:00/mile range and it's wonderful

Edited by 2000SiRacer (04/09/16 12:14 PM)

#8617618 - 04/09/16 03:29 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: 2000SiRacer]
CrazeD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Diego, CA
I was supposed to do 5k today in Anaheim, but weather lady said rain was possible, so I didnt want to drive 100 miles and run in rain. But I did run here at home..

At least I hit a PR.. still about a minute slower than I'd like.

Unfortunately I completely ran out of gas at like the 2.85mile mark lol..

2020 BMW ///M550i
2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE

#8617621 - 04/09/16 03:34 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
CrazeD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Diego, CA
My 6yr-old's school ran a fundraiser and being busy parents, I had no time to get him to raise money so the day his form was due I looked at this and said "screw this I'll just sign up for the 5K myself" and paid the $30 pledge.

Only problem is I don't run! Especially not since ACL reconstruction 11 years ago. The only "cardio" I do on a regular basis is Krav Maga twice a week but it's more akin to interval training than sustained running.

Anyway, I officially clocked in at 26:31, but since I showed up late I got stuck at the end of the pack and had to work my way up so probably lost some time there. Then at mile 2 I had a nasty side stitch that I labored through until the end but I kept the pace (8:22/mile that Runkeeper was telling me).

I'm sore as fuck now, popped two Advils and am sitting on the couch.

Well that's pretty fucking good for never running and just going out there and going balls out for 3.16 miles. Really good actually. It's taken me like 3 months to just get down to the time you're starting out at!

Also yea, 190 is pretty high, but that's expected since you basically got off the couch and started running. At that HR, it's like you're a car running at WOT the entire time lol.. For me, 195-200 is max HR.. at that point your body will force you to slow down..

2020 BMW ///M550i
2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE

#8617756 - 04/09/16 07:35 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks everyone. I was telling my wife I don't think it would have been physically possible for me to run this thing any faster than I did! The crazy thing is that it didn't feel like I was running very fast, it just was very exerting although the cramp was the worse honestly. Just to think some people can run this in ~18 minutes, very impressive. I guess you do get used to it.

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

I know every body's different but I don't think my heart has ever hit 190bpm, much less average it for a 5K \:o \:o

I'm guessing it has something to do with my Krav training? We'll sometimes do stress drills, e.g. 2 on 1 multiple attackers where we go at it full throttle for 20 seconds, then 5 seconds rest (5 seconds! ) rinse and repeat for a total of three successive rounds. If you do it right, then at the end of the second round you're already completely maxed out and imagine an instructor yelling "FIND ANOTHER GEAR. IT CAN BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FINISHING THE FIGHT AND GETTING YOUR ASS KICKED!!! " so you learn to push through it and operate at those levels of heart rate. So I knew I could physically tolerate 190 bpm, I just didn't know if I could sustain it over a long period.

Anyway, looking forward to trying to run again next year!

#8617971 - 04/10/16 12:50 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nice job dude...that's a very respectable time for a non-runner! 5k's are supposed to hurt pretty much from start to finish. If not, you're not trying hard enough. \:D

#8619778 - 04/11/16 10:16 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Adam7
I've been hiking the bridge downtown a bunch lately and I'm probably averaging 18 minute miles lol. Its about an hour and a half to do 5 miles (I guess max incline is 4%?)

(With a weighted pack and hiking boots).

I could probably go faster but its with a group so you have to stick together.

What am I supposed to do with this information?

#8620010 - 04/12/16 08:20 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: stickaz_old]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Rich&VibrantUsername
I've been hiking the bridge downtown a bunch lately and I'm probably averaging 18 minute miles lol. Its about an hour and a half to do 5 miles (I guess max incline is 4%?)

(With a weighted pack and hiking boots).

I could probably go faster but its with a group so you have to stick together.

ROFL

good job OP

I should start running again

#8620334 - 04/12/16 12:31 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Risky Business]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I hope I can learn how to run a HARD 5k this year--more important than whatever the results are imo is learning to run the race. That's my actual goal /philosoraptor.

There's a lot of satisfaction in getting the best out of whatever you happened to bring to the table on a given day, and the OP post in this thread is probably an example of that it seems. I have no personal examples of a 'great' 5k, other than one in which I pace too conservatively and hang on [in hindsight] rather easily. Or, I've gone out too hard and blown up. Got to thread the needle much better than that.

#8620366 - 04/12/16 12:51 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Rich&VibrantUsername
I hope I can learn how to run a HARD 5k this year--more important than whatever the results are imo is learning to run the race. That's my actual goal /philosoraptor.

There's a lot of satisfaction in getting the best out of whatever you happened to bring to the table on a given day, and the OP post in this thread is probably an example of that it seems. I have no personal examples of a 'great' 5k, other than one in which I pace too conservatively and hang on [in hindsight] rather easily. Or, I've gone out too hard and blown up. Got to thread the needle much better than that.

fit it into a ruck sack!

#8620632 - 04/12/16 02:56 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
A 190 heart rate seems like an error. I don't think I've ever seen mine over 175 with the chest strap (I'm guessing there is a bit of lag/sampling on that too), let alone sustained for 26 minutes at 190.

My theoretical max is 183.

#8620697 - 04/12/16 03:46 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea maybe--I've had mine 'wig out' before [often right when you put it on] and it'll read like 190-200 or something until I flip it over [so it reads nothing] for a while then put it back on. it can get stuck like that for several minutes. One 5k I did it stuck at like 190 for the entire race and gave me useless data

eg: http://www.strava.com/activities/439861126
shows avg 182 HR [7 over my actual max] and from mile 0.2 to 1.9 or so it just sat at a perfectly flat 192 or something. It moved around and got lower after that but it's still all useless data. When it gets like that I have to basically moisten the pad, flip it over for about a minute or so, then put it back on.
not saying that happened to OP but my HRM does that probably 1 out of 5 or 10 times I run with it. Usually when its completely dry/not-sweaty is when it just gives these bogus pegged values

not sure if the link shares the HR data but its in there I swear

#8620905 - 04/12/16 07:57 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
A 190 heart rate seems like an error. I don't think I've ever seen mine over 175 with the chest strap (I'm guessing there is a bit of lag/sampling on that too), let alone sustained for 26 minutes at 190.

FWIW I ran a few miles on the treadmill at the gym last week at an 8 minute/mile pace in an attempt to practice ahead of the 5K and registered 185 at some point using the HR handles on the treadmill.

I also remember a work seminar I went to last November, I had an hour to kill so I went to the hotel gym and got on the elliptical and averaged 176 over a full 60 minutes. I was completely drenched in sweat by the end but I wasn't gasping for air

EDIT - Just looked in my old pics and I had taken a potato pic of the screen after the workout at the beginning of the 5 minute cool down period. It says I burned 727 calories, 176 average HR and max of 185.

Quote:

Edited by Gab (04/12/16 08:06 PM)

#8621031 - 04/12/16 09:16 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Somebody knows how to work

#8621445 - 04/13/16 11:39 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: stickaz_old]
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah for some reason I really enjoy kicking my own ass. Maybe I should seek counseling for that.
#8627196 - 04/18/16 10:27 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

I went for a 10k run, averaged 145/150. Ran/sprinted stairs until full exhaustion and couldn't get my heart rate above 170. OP is part hummingbird.

#8627303 - 04/19/16 07:23 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

My body starts falling apart before I can hit 180 with running, on the bike it's the other way around. I can hit 180 and I will basically be ready to fall off bike, body can handle, lungs/mentally/etc I am dead.
#8627406 - 04/19/16 08:59 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Risky Business]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, but OP says he's averaging 190 over a 26 minute run.

I think the highest I've ever hit (using a Garmin 305 monitor) was 175. I'm not sure if there is a damping/sampling error, but stairs seems to be the best way for me to get there - might happen in hockey, but I don't record it. I can function in the 160+ range, but it's not going to be for long periods.

#8627444 - 04/19/16 09:22 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

FWIW I tested my resting heart rate and it was in the 52-54 bpm range.

But you guys have gotten me curious and I think I'll start monitoring my heart rate more closely during workouts. Currently eyeing one of these: http://www.wareable.com/sport/wahoo-tickr-x-review

I don't like wearing a watch so of all chest straps, it seems to be a good compromise and apparently it's pretty accurate.

#8627455 - 04/19/16 09:31 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
I just raced a sprint tri and no idea on HR in the water [probably lower than what I'm about to post about bike/run heh], I was 140 avg on the bike and 147 avg on the run [which is supposedly about equivalent as HR on bike doesnt get quite as high equivalent effort on the run]. So once again I failed to push myself sufficiently lol. I just kinda hit an 8/10ths level [or is it 7/10ths?] and kinda crumble mentally unfortunately. Given the short duration of the event [just over an hour] I should have been able to hit the mid 150s on the run as an avg and not just at the end as I did. Meaning I left a bunch of time on the table as always , I told myself I was just waiting to see if anyone in my AG was creeping up on my and holding a reserve to out-kick them in the last mile or so but in truth I was just being a pussy

fuck.gif

my resting HR I choose 45 to work with [sometimes as low as 40 in the morning but usually around 45] and I've seen 177 in a workout but I use 175 as my peak because I like round numbers. Getting to 160 is a big deal to me in a track workout or similar usually only achieved on the last set of an interval. I need to learn to work I'm afraid if I want to improve/race people.

I do the chest strap thing, I don't even know its there.

I'm gonna do a track/interval workout [mile repeats] in 2 days and my goal is to hit 160s on EACH interval. Mentally the only way I can do this I think is to promise myself sufficient rest between to recover [~say 5 mins]. I assume in 2 days I will be back to report I have failed to hit 160s except for the last interval as always \:\( [thats where my zone 5 begins]

#8627480 - 04/19/16 09:49 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Gab Offline
Post Master Supreme

I was watching this documentary called "The Truth About Exercise With Michael Mosley" last Friday night (Apparently it's been popular so you guys might have seen it).

At one point, he exercises in a room where oxygen levels have been decreased to 14%. He gasses out rather quickly and after performing some tests, they show that it's in fact his brain that shut him down early because it's out of its comfort zone and doesn't like it.

Viewed through that prism, this would suggest that one of the biggest barriers is your own mind playing tricks on you.

#8627512 - 04/19/16 10:03 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Gab]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

My resting HR is usually between 50-60. It's dipped into the 40's, but usually when I measure at rest, it's in the 50-55 range. When I hit 170, it's at the end of my stair sprint and I'm gasping for air and my legs are done - it's not a sustainable period of exercise.

I haven't measured my biking heart rate in a long time, but IIRC, it's about 10 less than when running.

Theoretical max's for most of us should be in the 180-190 range.

#8627685 - 04/19/16 11:30 AM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Resting for me is low to mid 50s. During exercise I will hit 175 numerous times but still average 150ish. I've never ever hit 190 that's been recorded anyway. When I hit 180+ I am not moving for a minute at least after, basically temp KO

190 for 26 mis, I don't think that's possible for a weekend warrior. Maybe a guy like nato can but he is basically pro level.

#8627839 - 04/19/16 12:29 PM Re: I just ran a 5K ... [Re: Impulsive]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
 Originally Posted By: Impulsive

i avg 190 for 33 minutes before at nationals 2 years ago but that was cycling...not sure how running hr's compare,but i could see it if he flat out sprinted lol

Edited by nato2377 (04/19/16 12:29 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads