Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8458309 - 11/30/15 11:56 AM Really Honda? v. TPMS
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
People (not me) spend so much on an Odyssey and it can only store one set of TPMS sensors? I bought a set of sensors for my winter tires/rims only to find out that I have to get them reprogrammed every time I swap rims/tires.

Looks like some people opt to purchase the programming tool themselves ($200?) or go halfsies. Anyone have one of these tools themselves?

#8458316 - 11/30/15 12:02 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
one set?

#8458328 - 11/30/15 12:09 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
run without them.

/who cares about the dash light and/or warning bong at start up.

#8458329 - 11/30/15 12:09 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I'd deal with the TPMS light for the winter.

#8458337 - 11/30/15 12:12 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: LNXGUY]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I previously had a CRV and ran without them in the winter, it was no big deal, one little light on. Not sure how the Odyssey handles it. A previous car I had would display 3 lights and a warning. The cluster would light up like a Christmas tree. Luckily it was able to store two sets.
#8458403 - 11/30/15 01:00 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Are they OE sensors? I was told that if they are Honda/Acura sensors, they car wont need to relearn them. Its the aftermarket sensors that require a reprogram.
#8458455 - 11/30/15 01:28 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: The Postman]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

They are OEM sensors. In actuality I haven't gotten them installed yet, so you may be right, but from all that I've read, I was under the impression that they will need to be programmed.
#8458505 - 11/30/15 01:52 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Fuck TPMS. Couldn't bother with them on the wife's car. Upon startup the display warns about it and then goes off, and then an amber warning on the side. Worse fucking safety feature ever.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8458508 - 11/30/15 01:53 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Hatorade]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
but the dash light omg I cant deal

#8458512 - 11/30/15 01:57 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Glad the e90 uses abs as TPMS.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8458551 - 11/30/15 02:19 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: The Postman]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Dumbass
Are they OE sensors? I was told that if they are Honda/Acura sensors, they car wont need to relearn them. Its the aftermarket sensors that require a reprogram.

Weird with the Odyssey, just ordered some winters for the RDX, with TPMS, and was told to just drive slowly for a few hundred meters and the RDX will "learn" the new TPMS sensors.

#8458555 - 11/30/15 02:20 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
the TLX has self-learning sensors, i'm surprised since every other honda you have to get them re-programmed every time.

#8458559 - 11/30/15 02:21 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Hatorade]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Fuck TPMS. Couldn't bother with them on the wife's car. Upon startup the display warns about it and then goes off, and then an amber warning on the side. Worse fucking safety feature ever.

I wish more people had them. I see too many people with tires that are WAAAAY too flat. Followed one for about 30 km on the 401 and sure enough... BANG! Flat tire. Great going asswipe, now you're causing a traffic hazard. Get TPMS and pay attention to flashing dashboard lights!

#8458593 - 11/30/15 02:36 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
there are 2 types of sensor systems and 2-3 suppliers (soon to be 1 supplier which wont be friggin TRW anymore lol). man the QC and warranty crap we see for these fucking things, i'm over here like

anyways, yes you have to get them reprog. each time, many manf's same issue. but yeah having that tool is a nice option in order to do yourself. if can't reprog and dont wanna pay just drive with the light on for the winter.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8458760 - 11/30/15 04:19 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

profit??

#8458848 - 11/30/15 05:17 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: c2k]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Honda is a bunch of greedy pricks. The old Odyssey Touring used to be able to handle multiple sets of sensors. None of the models in the current model can. It's just a cash grab for dealers.

#8458888 - 11/30/15 06:04 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: SW20_MR2]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
What reprogram? Easy peasy. Go to car settings and recalibrate the sensors.

No need for dealership

#8458890 - 11/30/15 06:04 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Denis Si]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Seems like user error.
#8458935 - 11/30/15 06:53 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Just A Troll

I wish more people had them. I see too many people with tires that are WAAAAY too flat. Followed one for about 30 km on the 401 and sure enough... BANG! Flat tire. Great going asswipe, now you're causing a traffic hazard. Get TPMS and pay attention to flashing dashboard lights!

or they could just stop being lazy and check their car more often.

one thing I have found by riding a motorcycle is you really check your vehicle more often as you get into that routine all the time, and it's a good habit.

#8459074 - 11/30/15 08:12 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: loudsubz]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
lol, that too. it's scary how many under inflated tires i see on many new and old cars (usually older) driving around - it's usually an older person but not always. people should be checking these things manually but with how pampered we are today by cars expecting to do everything include wipe our ass, nobody takes ownership of such aspects anymore.

also yeah i forgot to mention, the system on OP's pimpmobile is prob direct style tpms. newer cars (our 2015 crv ex) has indirect tpms, that uses the wheel speed sensors to calibrate and 'read' the tire. once you've changed a tire or say adjusted the pressure, you just hold the tpms button on the dash, it flashes and it recalibrates after 20mins of driving or so. done. but of course this system kinda defeats the purpose of warning someone since they can just override the sensor telling them something's wrong lol. also all 4 tires have to be at the right pressures. dat tech doe. ppl bitch/moan about both but i believe the direct system usually is preferred by ppl.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8459224 - 11/30/15 11:13 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Euphoricuck]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
run without them.

/who cares about the dash light and/or warning bong at start up.

and

Fuck TPMS. Worse fucking safety feature ever.

+1

#8459226 - 11/30/15 11:17 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: iamfob]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
Also the car manufacturers should have automatic headlights setting turn on in every single car they built.
So many retards are driving at night without turning on their headlights. Just because the cluster is automatically illuminate 24/7, it doesn't mean their headlights are also turn on automatically as well

#8459377 - 12/01/15 08:05 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: iamfob]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Anecdotal stories online show that the TPMS bomb, while a great idea, doesn't work that well ... i.e. loses pressure, etc.

Also read some guys who deflate their spare tire, shove them in there, then pressure it back up. Seems rather dangerous when you ultimately do need to use the spare....

#8459513 - 12/01/15 10:03 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Denis Si]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Denis Si
What reprogram? Easy peasy. Go to car settings and recalibrate the sensors.

No need for dealership
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si
Seems like user error.

Do you have a current generation Honda Odyssey? Do you work for Honda? Can you provide a step-by-step?

No? Didn't think so.

#8459535 - 12/01/15 10:33 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: loudsubz]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

How long have you lived in Toronto? Still didn't clue in about all the idiots out there?

#8459906 - 12/01/15 02:00 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

How long have you lived in Toronto? Still didn't clue in about all the idiots out there?

You assume I live in TO
Still doesn't address laziness

#8459995 - 12/01/15 02:48 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: loudsubz]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Don't try to avoid the issue, you know exactly what my point was.

And yes, people shouldn't be lazy... and the government shouldn't be wasting our money. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

Welcome to the REAL world Neo.

#8460308 - 12/01/15 06:15 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sorry didn't know you had a point.

Unless you're one of them who solely rely on the dummy light.

#8460926 - 12/02/15 10:28 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: loudsubz]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Quote:

History
Initial adoption
Due to the influence tire pressure has on vehicle safety and efficiency, TPMS was first adopted by the European market as an optional feature for luxury passenger vehicles in the 1980s. Some claim the efficiency gains are negligible. The first passenger vehicle to adopt tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) was the Porsche 959 in 1986, using a hollow spoke wheel system developed by PSK. In 1996 Renault used the Michelin PAX system for the Scenic and in 1999 the PSA Peugeot Citroën decided to adopt TPM as a standard feature on the Peugeot 607. The following year (2000), Renault launched the Laguna II, the first high volume mid-size passenger vehicle in the world to be equipped with TPM as a standard feature. In the United States, TPMS was introduced by General Motors for the 1991 model year for the Corvette in conjunction with Goodyear run-flat tires. The system uses sensors in the wheels and a driver display which can show tire pressure at any wheel, plus warnings for both high and low pressure. It has been standard on Corvettes ever since.

Firestone recall and legal mandates
The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation.

On July 13, 2010, the South Korean Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs announced a pending partial-revision to the Korea Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (KMVSS), specifying that "TPMS shall be installed to passenger vehicles and vehicles of GVW 3.5 tons or less, ... effective on January 1, 2013 for new models and on June 30, 2014 for existing models". Japan is expected to adopt European Union legislation approximately one year after European Union implementation. Further countries to make TPMS mandatory include Russia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Israel, Malaysia and Turkey.

After the TREAD Act was passed, many companies responded to the market opportunity by releasing TPMS products using battery-powered radio transmitter wheel modules.

Run-flat tires
The introduction of run-flat tires and emergency spare tires by several tire and vehicle manufacturers has motivated to make at least some basic TPMS mandatory when using run-flat tires. With run-flat tires, the driver will most likely not notice that a tire is running flat, hence the so-called "run-flat warning systems" were introduced. These are most often first generation, purely roll-radius based iTPMS, which ensure that run-flat tires are not used beyond their limitations, usually 80 km/h and 80 km driving distance. The iTPMS market has progressed as well. Indirect TPMS are able to detect under-inflation through combined use of roll radius and spectrum analysis and hence four-wheel monitoring has become feasible. With this breakthrough, meeting the legal requirements is possible also with iTPMS.

Benefits of TPMS
The dynamic behavior of a pneumatic tire is closely connected to its inflation pressure. Key factors like braking distance and lateral stability require the inflation pressures to be adjusted and kept as specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Extreme under-inflation can even lead to thermal and mechanical overload caused by overheating and subsequent, sudden destruction of the tire itself. Additionally, fuel efficiency and tire wear are severely affected by under-inflation. Tires do not only leak air if punctured, they also leak air naturally, and over a year, even a typical new, properly mounted tire can lose from 20 to 60 kPa (3 to 9 psi), roughly 10% or even more of its initial pressure.

The significant advantages of TPMS are summarized as follows:

Fuel savings: According to the GITI, for every 10% of under-inflation on each tire on a vehicle, a 1% reduction in fuel economy will occur. In the United States alone, the Department of Transportation estimates that under inflated tires waste 2 billion US gallons (7,600,000 m3) of fuel each year.

Extended tire life: Under inflated tires are the #1 cause of tire failure and contribute to tire disintegration, heat buildup, ply separation and sidewall/casing breakdowns. Further, a difference of 10 pounds per square inch (69 kPa; 0.69 bar) in pressure on a set of duals literally drags the lower pressured tire 2.5 metres per kilometre (13 feet per mile). Moreover, running a tire even briefly on inadequate pressure breaks down the casing and prevents the ability to retread. It is important to note that not all sudden tire failures are caused by under-inflation. Structural damages caused, for example, by hitting sharp curbs or potholes, can also lead to sudden tire failures, even a certain time after the damaging incident. These cannot be proactively detected by any TPMS.

Decreased downtime and maintenance: Under-inflated tires lead to costly hours of downtime and maintenance.

Improved safety: Under-inflated tires lead to tread separation and tire failure, resulting in 40,000 accidents, 33,000 injuries and over 650 deaths per year. Further, tires properly inflated add greater stability, handling and braking efficiencies and provide greater safety for the driver, the vehicle, the loads and others on the road.

Environmental efficiency: Under-inflated tires, as estimated by the Department of Transportation, release over 26 billion kilograms (57.5 billion pounds) of unnecessary carbon-monoxide pollutants into the atmosphere each year in the United States alone.

Further statistics include:

The French Sécurité Routière, a road safety organization, estimates that 9% of all road accidents involving fatalities are attributable to tire under-inflation, and the German DEKRA, a product safety organization, estimated that 41% of accidents with physical injuries are linked to tire problems.

The European Union reports that an average under-inflation of 40 kPa produces an increase of fuel consumption of 2% and a decrease of tire life of 25%. The European Union concludes that tire under-inflation today is responsible for over 20 million liters of unnecessarily-burned fuel, dumping over 2 million tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere, and for 200 million tires being prematurely wasted worldwide.

And this last point is weird. How's that of any concern about privacy when people have licence plates that are picked up by traffic cameras?

Quote:

Privacy concerns regarding TPMS
Because each tire transmits a unique identifier, vehicles may be easily tracked using existing sensors along the roadway. This concern could be addressed by encrypting the radio communications from the sensors but such privacy provisions were not stipulated by the NHTSA.

#8469514 - 12/08/15 06:42 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Just A Troll]
jesguerra Offline
Jr Poster

Yea it's weird that the new accord/crv has the new tpms system and the odyssey you still have to reprogram every time. We charge a half hour to program, when really it takes all of 30 seconds.
#8469515 - 12/08/15 06:46 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: jesguerra]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Jay, did you leave BMW for Honda?
#8469523 - 12/08/15 07:06 AM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
jesguerra Offline
Jr Poster

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck

Yea, I went back to the Honda dealer that I started at. Pfaff bought out the BMW dealer I was at, and then canned 7 of us (the same 7 that attempted to start a union earlier that year).

#8470130 - 12/08/15 02:37 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: jesguerra]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
no way bro what honda dealer are you at now?

#8470256 - 12/08/15 04:05 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: jesguerra]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: jesguerra
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck

Pfaff bought out the BMW dealer I was at, and then canned 7 of us (the same 7 that attempted to start a union earlier that year).

No comment...

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8470572 - 12/08/15 08:04 PM Re: Really Honda? v. TPMS [Re: titty sprinkles]
jesguerra Offline
Jr Poster

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
no way bro what honda dealer are you at now?

mississauga honda

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads