Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8412480 - 10/23/15 12:22 PM Next topic.....Single blade razors
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
I know some of you guys use those single blade razors. I forget what they are called and where to buy one. I want to say goodbye to Gilette and canned shaving cream. I want to do it barber style. I know we've had this discussion before, I just can't find it. Was a few yrs ago I think.......
#8412693 - 10/23/15 01:40 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
i think all the cool kids uses this brand - http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur_bymfg_27-0-1.html
#8412714 - 10/23/15 01:46 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
It was a good thread in OT go search there and see. I was gonna do the whole safety razor thing but just stuck with my usual gillette 5 blade. But to improve things a lot now i buy Proraso (green one) shave cream (toothpaste thickness) and i bought a nice Old English badger hair shave brush from a barber supply store on yonge just south of major mack. they have them here too:

http://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/shaving-brushes?gclid=CKvY-auf2cgCFQ-RaQod7-kDAQ

so that brush, use proraso with it and that alone makes for a much nicer shave vs. canned foam stuff. even using a gillette 5blade. maybe go to safety razor one day but like the speed i can get it done with current blade, and it's consistent (if sharp). of course gillette blades are a HUGE ripoff so only buy on sale (or my dad would buy them from the US for me, stupid cheap).

or next option is this:
http://ca.dollarshaveclub.com/
but if you do the math the savings to be had over buying razors on sale is limited, depending how fast you go thru them i guess.

apologies to all our asian friends who cannot take part in this thread

Edited by Screamin DC2R (10/23/15 01:49 PM)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8412726 - 10/23/15 01:50 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
I'd never go single blade on my balls.

Oh wait... this isn't a metro thread...

#8412732 - 10/23/15 01:57 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: furball]
Post Master Supreme

dollarshaveclub FTW
#8412754 - 10/23/15 02:10 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
 Originally Posted By: Screamin DC2R

apologies to all our asian friends who cannot take part in this thread

Apologies for our South Asian friends who have to buy razors in bulk (especially for their backs)

#8412807 - 10/23/15 02:38 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I use the Merkur 39C HD, a little heavier then most and feels great in hand.

Get the biggest sampler pack of blades you can from WestCoastSaving.

As for soap, I use Proraso from Shoppers Drug Mart in the tube.

I paid a decent amount for a good badger brush (Does make a difference).

Be happy you'll never use a shitty Mach3 or similar razor again.

#8412953 - 10/23/15 04:04 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
dollarshaveclub FTW

nope. dorco FTW.

http://www.dorcousa.com/

cheaper than dollarshaveclub and these guys are their suppliers.

#8413218 - 10/23/15 08:05 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: zaius]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
i shave like once a week lol.
i like this dorco but our dollar is shit and shipping/duties prob suck right?

#8413546 - 10/24/15 07:11 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Thx LNX, imma try what you use.
Did you get the razor from westcoast too?

#8413589 - 10/24/15 09:10 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I use the Merkur 39C HD, a little heavier then most and feels great in hand.

Get the biggest sampler pack of blades you can from WestCoastSaving.

As for soap, I use Proraso from Shoppers Drug Mart in the tube.

I paid a decent amount for a good badger brush (Does make a difference).

Be happy you'll never use a shitty Mach3 or similar razor again.

I have the same DE razor except I bought 400 feather blades for like 29 bucks shipped directly from the mfgr 4 years ago. I still have a shitload left to use.

As for the brush I have a Simpson badger 3. I forger which one I have but I paid 300 bucks for it and it makes a huge difference. It lathers nice and easy for me.

I use the tabac shaving soap. It provides a nice lubricant when shaving and glides very easily with ease. A lot of folks aren't keen on it BC it contains tallow. But I don't give a fuck. It works for me.

#8413607 - 10/24/15 09:37 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Raocorp

I think I got the razor off Amazon or something, doesn't really make a difference the prices are pretty much the same.

Get your sampler pack at WestCoastShaving though, then you'll figure out the blade you like (I like Gillete 7'Clocks, Shark Super Chrome and the Astra Superior Platniums... Not a huge fan of the Feathers like everyone else)

Spend say $70-$100 on a brush you'll get something decent.

#8414061 - 10/24/15 11:17 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
I have been using the Double edge safety razor since 2010. I rotate between CO Bigelow (bought from US Bath & Body Work) and Proraso shaving cream (Amazon.com). I forgot the brand of my badger brush but it's made in Germany.

I am still using my sampler pack but once I am done with them, I am going to stick with Feather blades.

I can't imagine going back to the non-double edge safety razor.

#8414129 - 10/25/15 06:04 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
i shave like once a week lol.
i like this dorco but our dollar is shit and shipping/duties prob suck right?

there are usually discount coupons available for dorco. all I know is that I bought $40 worth of razor blades and I'm sure I'll last me for over five+ years easily lol

#8414207 - 10/25/15 09:39 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: zaius]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Once you figure out which blades you like, just jump on Ebay and buy the 100 packs.

Word to the wise, don't use the Merkur blade that comes with the razor

#8415662 - 10/26/15 11:19 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

I think I got the razor off Amazon or something, doesn't really make a difference the prices are pretty much the same.

Get your sampler pack at WestCoastShaving though, then you'll figure out the blade you like (I like Gillete 7'Clocks, Shark Super Chrome and the Astra Superior Platniums... Not a huge fan of the Feathers like everyone else)

Spend say $70-$100 on a brush you'll get something decent.

Wow, that much on a brush eh. Holy....
I saw one at Shoppers the other day and it was $15 and I thought that was what you meant by spend a lot, lol.
Gonna check the suggested sites and see. I still have a bunch of Mach3's that I'm not in a hurry to just throw away.

#8415704 - 10/26/15 11:34 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

That boar hair brush at Shoppers isn't worth $15. A decent brush makes a difference. I didn't think so until I got a great deal on a silvertip from Fendrihan.

Check some of these out.

http://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/shaving-brushes

#8465049 - 12/04/15 12:29 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

So I picked up a bunch of stuff and have been using for the last week or so and I do have to say FML this shit is amazing. I find it so much better.
However, I do find that just switching to the soap and continuing using a regular gilette razor is already better. The shaving cream in a can is total shit. It does nothing. I really enjoy shaving now, like really enjoy it its weird lol.

I bought the same 39C as you LNX and it is a great razor. I shave my head too but I find it difficult at the moment to use the Merkur on my head. Tired a couple of times and cut myself good so I'm going to have to get used to it on my face before using it on my head again.
I got all my stuff from Fendrihan, I compared prices but with the CAD dollar it doesn't make sense to buy from the US. Fendrihan ships fast too and my 2 orders met their minimum for free shipping anyway so I'm happy with them. I'm still on the blade that came with my Murker but I did buy a sample pack so I think I'll have enough blades for a long while.
I bought some Proraso but i've started with Mug shaving soap first. $1.88 for it which is what sucked me in. However, so far I have to say its quite good and I like it. It lathers quite good with my badger brush. I tired a cheap $6 boar brush at first while I waited for my order from Fendrihan and I thought it was ok. But the badger brush is just so much better. I bought a cheaper one just to try it out. Perhaps next yr I will get something more expensive to try.

Thanks for all the tips

#8465060 - 12/04/15 12:35 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm still on the blade that came with my Murker

You are very brave to use it.

#8465104 - 12/04/15 01:00 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: c2k]
Balhar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Gee Tee Ay
i use one of these
http://www.fendrihan.ca/products/parker-...iant=8133051457

not that exact one, but something like that.
it takes the same blades as the safety razor you go... you snap it in half and insert it into the slot.

i want to get a real straight razor http://www.fendrihan.ca/products/dovo-flowing-straight-razor-6-8-grenadille-handle

but im gonna wait till we get the new house and i have an en-suite bathroom...i dont want that thing in the same bathroom the kids use

#8465120 - 12/04/15 01:12 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Great news man! I dunno if I'd brave shaving my head with a safety razor, lol! You'll notice that the blade gets better after 2 shaves or so, is perfect for maybe 3-4 shaves, then starts to pull when you're on your 6-7th shave. This is when I usually chuck them and go with a new one. Brush also makes a big difference (Like you found)... Have you figured out the blades you like yet?

It's actually a lot of fun, I enjoy shaving a lot more since moving to a DE.

#8465144 - 12/04/15 01:26 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
For those who shave their head, how about http://www.headblade.com ?
#8466729 - 12/05/15 04:00 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Great thread and info.

I fall in the Asian category so I don't shave often, maybe once or twice a week when I want a nice clean shave but mainly use an electric shaver everyday to remove the stubble/hair that has grown over 24hrs. Was thinking of picking up a new electric shaver to replace my 10+ yr old one for a closer shave (advertised) but this thread has me interested in using something better than the usual off the shelf razors.

Seems like the merkur 34c HD is the way to go but my fear in using these razors is cutting myself \:D The merkur 700/701 (futur) seems a little safer but still has me worried.

How easy is it to nick/cut yourself with these razors? Any tips for a newbie?

Might ask the wife for a kit for Xmas \:D

#8467048 - 12/05/15 09:07 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: civic13]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: c2k

why do you say that?

Great news man! I dunno if I'd brave shaving my head with a safety razor, lol! You'll notice that the blade gets better after 2 shaves or so, is perfect for maybe 3-4 shaves, then starts to pull when you're on your 6-7th shave. This is when I usually chuck them and go with a new one. Brush also makes a big difference (Like you found)... Have you figured out the blades you like yet?

It's actually a lot of fun, I enjoy shaving a lot more since moving to a DE.

Ya its not that bad for the head. I've been shaving my head for almost 10yrs now so I'm used to it. Just need to get a feel for the safety razor. I really enjoy shaving too now and the soaps seem like they will last a long time as well. I'm still using the original blade that came with the Merkur and haven't even touched anything else yet. So far the Merkur blade is good, but obviously I have nothing to compare it to atm. I did notice the blade get better after the first couple of shaves. Not sure how many times I've used it but I find its still good.

Originally Posted By: civic13
Great thread and info.

I fall in the Asian category so I don't shave often, maybe once or twice a week when I want a nice clean shave but mainly use an electric shaver everyday to remove the stubble/hair that has grown over 24hrs. Was thinking of picking up a new electric shaver to replace my 10+ yr old one for a closer shave (advertised) but this thread has me interested in using something better than the usual off the shelf razors.

Seems like the merkur 34c HD is the way to go but my fear in using these razors is cutting myself \:D The merkur 700/701 (futur) seems a little safer but still has me worried.

How easy is it to nick/cut yourself with these razors? Any tips for a newbie?

Might ask the wife for a kit for Xmas \:D

I'm a noobie too so I find it quite easy to nick yourself. I bought a stypitc pencil today to help with the nicks. First couple of shaves I nicked myself a 3 or 4 times. Second shave maybe once. Third, none....other than a one or two on my head. I think its fine.

#8467070 - 12/05/15 09:38 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Were you doing anything that might have contributed to the nicking?

Is there a special technique?

#8467257 - 12/06/15 09:34 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: civic13]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Were you doing anything that might have contributed to the nicking?

Is there a special technique?

Maybe going to fast or using took much pressure. I think the special technique is just being careful.

#8467268 - 12/06/15 09:57 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah you really need to ease up on the pressure when using these things, you don't have to press hard at all (Compared to saw a Mach3 or similar). I cut myself to bits the first couple of times because of this

#8467864 - 12/07/15 12:45 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
Lost^
Unregistered

Rarelyyyyyyyy ever nick myself. Just let the weight of the razor do all the work and just be careful.

I like Feather and Shark blades personally.

#8467916 - 12/07/15 07:45 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: ]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
what about da tate doe?

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8475597 - 12/13/15 03:49 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Anyone shop at this place downtown?
http://menessentials.ca

Thinking of picking up an ej de89.

Will any badger brush do or a certain brand is better? What about bowl size and material (stainless steel, porcelain, etc)?

#8475647 - 12/13/15 09:33 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

why do you say that?

it's not a quality razor, compared to all the other razors i've tried, it's one of my least favourite next to derby.

my top 3 faves are feather black, feather, and astra

#8475719 - 12/13/15 11:55 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: civic13]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

it's not a quality razor, compared to all the other razors i've tried, it's one of my least favourite next to derby.

my top 3 faves are feather black, feather, and astra

Gotch, that makes sense. I just got into my first Asta blade and I do find it a lot better than the Merkur.

Anyone shop at this place downtown?
http://menessentials.ca

Thinking of picking up an ej de89.

Will any badger brush do or a certain brand is better? What about bowl size and material (stainless steel, porcelain, etc)?

Those guys have a couple of things that Fenhrehian don't have so I might pick up some stuff. I have a porcelain mug and I like it. I think steel would be more susceptible to drastic temp changes. Meaning it would warm up fast but would likely get cold just as fast.
I also think with brushes its personal preference but Boar hair is really hard. My first brush was boar but my badger brush is so much better, and mine isn't even all that high end either but it suits my purposes for now.

#8476274 - 12/14/15 09:35 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Raocorp]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

As long as it's not boar hair you're good. As for cups, all I use is a normal tea cup nothing fancy. I let that soak in the sink while I shower.

#8735121 - 07/24/16 02:31 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: LNXGUY]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Bumping this thread as I'm going to pick up some stuff.

What sampler pack of blades should I get? I don't want to buy the "everything" one as I'll probably not use them all.

For the East Asian \:\) brethren what blades do you like?

#8735258 - 07/24/16 05:29 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: civic13]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Dollar shave club starter is now a 90 millionaire...
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tn-dollar-shave-exit-20160722-snap-story.html

#8735460 - 07/24/16 10:07 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Gillette disposables in the shower. No need for some fancy shit. And Im a white guy with real facial hair.

You FOBs could prob shave with a ladies Venus.

#8735710 - 07/25/16 08:16 AM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: The Postman]
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Dumbass
Gillette disposables in the shower. No need for some fancy shit. And Im a white guy with real facial hair.

You FOBs could prob shave with a ladies Venus.

while i get what you're trying to say, but ladies venus is just as expensive, and i've always assumed it's the same razor with pink and light blue ones are slapped with the ladies branding, while the grey and black ones are slapped with the macho bro branding.

i got dollar shave club, banked a bunch of blades and put my account on hold. got like a year and half worth of razors for 30$

#8736257 - 07/25/16 03:07 PM Re: Next topic.....Single blade razors [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
I like the Feather DE razor a lot, they are very sharp doe

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads