Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#8215949 - 05/19/15 09:14 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Between my back and legs hurting I wasn't quite holding a 3mph walking pace at that point, so decided instead of trying to get across the bridge and get pulled I'll just pull myself there and let myself and my crew get home.

Because pavement is the devil's dance floor. Seriously, fuck road running.

Looking forward to the longer write up - you'll knock 'em dead at Javelina

#8216210 - 05/19/15 12:05 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
Between my back and legs hurting I wasn't quite holding a 3mph walking pace at that point, so decided instead of trying to get across the bridge and get pulled I'll just pull myself there and let myself and my crew get home.

Because pavement is the devil's dance floor. Seriously, fuck road running.

Looking forward to the longer write up - you'll knock 'em dead at Javelina

This

#8216331 - 05/19/15 12:59 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: ]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
back-to-back marathons? damn that is impressive. Sad that you didn't make it to 4-back-back? lol \:D

#8216430 - 05/19/15 01:48 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Thanks guys.

I have decide if I want to try it again sometime. Maybe the 50. ;\) You're right road running sucks, lol. But I wasn't expecting the back pain, it isn't something I get even running 35 miles, and didn't really happen in the race until after about 45 miles, but it got bad quick.

Ultimately, of course I wanted to finish, but I'm super happy and proud of doing 53. It is a lot different to be there doing those miles than to train for it. \:\)

#8216533 - 05/19/15 02:48 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

soooo we'll see you doing the mass-start/corral half marathon waves with me soon enough den? \:D

#8216570 - 05/19/15 03:05 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks guys.

I have decide if I want to try it again sometime. Maybe the 50. ;\) You're right road running sucks, lol. But I wasn't expecting the back pain, it isn't something I get even running 35 miles, and didn't really happen in the race until after about 45 miles, but it got bad quick.

Ultimately, of course I wanted to finish, but I'm super happy and proud of doing 53. It is a lot different to be there doing those miles than to train for it. \:\)

Try it again meaning try Keys again? Or try another ultra again? I thought you had a whole 2015 plan mapped out.

#8216707 - 05/19/15 04:12 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I've done like a dozen halves and will continue to do them, I love halves.

I mean the Keys specifically. It is making me consider doing the JJ 100k instead of JJ 100m. Not sure what I'm doing through the summer though, not planning any races right now because of costs and also its so damn hot in Florida it would be nice to not have to continue doing a marathon every weekend in the heat. \:\)

#8217090 - 05/19/15 09:51 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Bummer dude...I was pulling for you.

No biggie though...50+ miles is something to be proud of for sure....and honestly, the buckle looked a little fruity anyways. \:D

#8217521 - 05/20/15 09:21 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

What do you think happened? I just looked back in this post and you did that 35 mile training run in 8:00 (moving time). But then on race day it took another 5h 30m to go an extra 15 miles?

Sounds like something was off compared to all the training you were putting down.

#8217904 - 05/20/15 12:38 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I will admit it isn't the best buckle around, but a buckle is a buckle, right? \:\)

Well the heat was even worse than what I trained in. And my plan was to walk a lot during the day to run more at night. My crew wanted to walk with me during the day, so they'd take turns walking with me for a few miles each. I liked it as it kept me going and talking and such, but it made my legs really sore. I tried running some and it felt better, so they ran a little with me, though couldn't run as much as me, naturally.

I think that hindered me as it got my legs way too sore. So next time I won't walk as much, I will mix in more running. I bet I literally walked miles 18 to about 40 without running at all. I was still doing fine on time and was figuring I'd be able to run better later, didn't turn out that way.

I'm not sure doing more running during the day would have necessarily made a big enough difference to finish, but hey first time I know better now. \:\)

I also stopped for an hour at the halfway point to get my body better, it really helped my back and feet but it made the legs terrible. I think if I would have stopped for maybe 10 minutes it would have been better.

By this weekend I will write up a race report/semi-DITL.

#8224680 - 05/26/15 08:13 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Posted my Keys 100 Race Report over in the Out There forum: http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/8224587

Will post here updates since the race soon. Talking with Liza tomorrow and will see what's coming up next.

#8248947 - 06/14/15 09:16 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Going to throw updates in here. Been 5 weeks of training since I last updated, so figured I'd just put in what my training has been just to update. I don't currently have a race scheduled until Javelina Jundred so it will be a boring few months. I am looking at doing some speed work before ramping up mileage again.

So, here's just a quick rundown of the training since last update:

Week 17 Recap: 64 miles total

Monday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Thursday: Off
Friday: 2 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Saturday: 100 miles [Keys 100]

(This was race week and we all know I only made it 53.45 miles.)

Week 18 Recap: 6 miles total

Monday: Off
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Friday: Off
Saturday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Sunday: Off

(Post race week, felt good on these runs, just nice and slow.)

Week 19 Recap: 17 miles total

Monday: 4 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Wednesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Saturday: 8 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Sunday: Off

(Another good solid week of making sure my body is ok and legs haven't fallen off. Trying to figure out what to do going forward for training)

Week 20 Recap: 24 miles total

Monday: 5 miles [SPEED: Warm up 1 mile then, 4x4s. 4 minutes moderate-hard effort, 4 minutes easy recovery jog. Do this 4 times. Remaining mileage easy effort.]
Wednesday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Friday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Saturday: Off
Sunday: 10 miles [LONG: Progression. Last 5k hard effort. Let me know the pace.]

(I only made it 7 miles Sunday, my body wasn't in it and the heat turned up really bad. I was running away from the neighborhood for once, though it was still on pavement, around a lake, with no shade, lol. I decided to do the 5k on Monday by itself instead.)

Week 21 Recap: 32 miles total

Monday: 3.1 miles (Finishing yesterday's run)
Tuesday: 3.2 miles (First of the summer beach runs)
Thursday: 5 miles [HILLS: Warmup 1 mile then run back and forth across bridge hard twice)
Saturday: 7 miles [RECOVERY: Easy effort]
Sunday: 14 miles [[RECOVERY: Easy effort - last mile faster]

I actually made up this week myself. Liza was still in Africa from Comrades (she paced her husband, they finished in 11:48 with a 12 hour cutoff, pretty awesome) and somehow our Google Spreadsheet didn't update with her stuff. I can manage running on my own for a week though. I did the 5k on Monday in 22:18 (PR 21:09) and super happy with that time. I did the beach run nice and slow, nice to run with a big group of people and on different terrain, lol. Wanted to run the bridge so did that on Thursday, its funny how from my watch the elevation profile going both ways is very similar, but the one way feels much steeper than the other way. Oh well, whatever. I actually did 5.33 miles on Thursday just for fun, since I had no specific amount I had to do. Weekend was just 2 nice slow runs. Saturday was around 10-10:30 pace and Sunday was 11:00-11:30 pace. Sunday got hotter, I stopped at the house twice to cool off and get fuel. Was my first run using ClifBlox since the Keys! I did the last mile in 9:40, so much for being fast, but hey it wasn't easy doing that speed in the heat.

So, there you go, that's what has been going on.

Plan is to do some speed work over Summer and build back into higher mileage for Javelina Jundred in the Fall. The running lately has been horrible. The weather here has gotten extremely hot, by 10am its over 80 and feels like 85+ and it doesn't let up until 10pm. I think I'm going to have to force myself to get up and run in the morning, at least some days. And anything that will take 2+ hours needs started before 7am at minimum. Other places people take off during Winter from running because of cold and ice and snow and such. Well this is Florida's offseason with extreme heat, so it sucks, lol.

#8249181 - 06/15/15 01:46 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I'll be registering for Javalina next week.

#8249827 - 06/15/15 01:23 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Nice! I haven't even registered yet. I still don't know who I might have for crew, no idea if I'll have a pacer either. I want to rent an rv for it because that would be pretty awesome, but still have plenty of planning to do.

Wonder who else we can get in on it. \:\)

#8249848 - 06/15/15 01:29 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

sjpotato3 is local /creepy strava-stalker

#8249900 - 06/15/15 01:42 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I figure looped course means no desperate need for a crew. Might be the whole family with me, might just be solo. Will likely haul the tent trailer out there either way. Should be a good time!

#8302105 - 07/23/15 07:45 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Whoa forever time since I updated!

Instead of showing all the runs, I'll just break down a little bit of what's been going on.

So running in the Summer in Florida sucks. No, you don't get it. It is just about the worst experience ever. By the end of June I was questioning my sanity of running outside, I hate the treadmill though. I couldn't see why I was out there doing this stuff, even 3 miles was torturous and I'd be drinking a good 8oz of Propel while running for a half an hour, if I could even keep a 10 min pace!

But now in July for some reason it just hasn't been quite as hot. 90, not 95, haha. So I feel better and been doing all my runs, right in the mid-30's a week and just now starting to climb.

Last two weeks or so I have been running with a HR monitor and keeping my runs at 145-150 HR when possible. I do a warmup and then run at that, if my body lets me. I'm not sure if its that much running at a pretty decent pace that's making my legs stay real sore or my step goal. I have a Garmin VivoSmart that gives me a step goal everyday and it goes up when you meet that goal, well I've hit it for 62 days in a row now and its over 15600 steps, which is like 9 miles. So I'm doing a ton of walking even on the days I'm off running. I might need to just cool off on that and have some real off days.

Just starting this week I am attempting to start doing fat adaptation. I'm doing no carbs (or as damn close as I can be) and will be doing that for 2 weeks. At that point I will incorporate back some good carbs, like having 1 banana a day type stuff. Its weird and not too easy to do so I kind of plan to ease back into a 20% carbs/calories a day max thing. If I can I'll keep it under 10% but I won't be super duper strict about it probably.

My long runs are just starting to pick up again, 14 last weekend, 16 this weekend and 18 the following weekend. Should build up through August and then peak in September. I don't think my body would handle 70 mile weeks, I topped out for the Keys with a couple 50s and a couple ~45s. Not finishing the Keys was less about my physical ability and more about me doing rookie mistakes. So even if I cap out again with sub-60 weeks I still feel like I can do it. I originally hoped to go sub-24 for great justice (buckle) and I still might go in the race with that mentality, however any finish will be a victory. I can "drop down" to the 100k for a finish if I have to, but am not thinking of that as an actual option, don't want to think of it that way, hey I can just give up and get this buckle, whatever. Even if I do think that, I need to finish the 100 miles to put in for Western States, and that's worth it!

So, after all this, I have been training continuously still, hitting 130 miles last month, at 110 this month with a projected 151 at the end of the month.

And, the exciting news........I just signed up for Javelina Jundred! I booked flights and rental car and hotel and such. Pretty excited about it. I figure no better way to get pumped for a race than to spend a small fortune! I have my Brother coming with me and in total it is just under $1500 for everything. I could have made it slightly cheaper, such as not getting a Javelina Jundred Joody and not doing priority boarding on Southwest, but screw it, I like the hoody and I want this trip to go easy, lol.

So I will be updating this weekly again soon since my training is getting longer and more focused on the race and also the new HR training and fat adaptation will be interesting...to me.

Hope you're all doing great on all your running/biking/etc adventures!

#8302162 - 07/23/15 08:37 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cool, I was trying to learn how to do that fat-adaption stuff by basically forcing myself to bonk on long rides and.... It's easy to force yourself to bonk I guess on a bike lol

It's true that ability will help Ina simple non-ultra regular marathon? The mile 21 wall?

#8302192 - 07/23/15 09:00 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I'm not positive. I've only read up and heard so much about it. Listened to some podcasts on Endurance Planet about it. Just look up fat adaptation on their site, the HR training I'm doing is linked to Phil Maffetone. He kind of does both of those things.

For me, I just want to try something different. I figure being better at burning fat while running can only be a good thing. Especially in ultras, where I don't have an iron clad stomach.

But, I'd imagine it would help to some degree. Even on my PR half-marathons I take energy in. If you do well with the fat adaptation stuff you "can" do marathons without taking in energy. So your body is better at it and it helps you not having to have 1 more thing to worry about.

Technically speaking you should be able to do a 100 miler without taking in food/energy, though I'm unsure on how possible that is in the real world, lol.

#8302370 - 07/23/15 11:30 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

that sounds like post-bonk crawl pace to me heh [~20:00/mi]

#8302528 - 07/24/15 06:34 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Right now I haven't done any real long runs with it. Last Sunday on the 14 miler I still took my Clif Blox. This Sunday on my 16 miler going to try to only take energy if/when I actually feel like I really need it and see how it goes.
#8330533 - 08/16/15 06:55 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

So figured I'd do another quick update. This was my 30th week of training with Liza Howard. Crazy how time flies eh? 11 weeks from Javelina Jundred and everything has been going pretty well.

So last time I was three weeks into my HR training and finally understanding it and getting it going pretty well. Honestly because of how we setup our spreadsheet she had the runs listed as [Recovery: Keep HR < 150] and I did a bunch of runs in the sub-130 HR range. I figured that was under 150, right? Well the idea was for me to run in the 145-150 range. My thought was I didn't want to get into that black hole area of too hard to be easy and not hard enough to be hard. So I got that corrected and moved forward.

On 7/15 I had my first HR test set as follows: [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Warm up for 1 mile. Then for 5 miles Keep HR 145 - 150 (as close to 150 bpm as possible but not over). Last 2 miles easy if necessary.] I did my warmup in 11:25 then my miles were 8:57, 9:15, 9:34, 9:34, 10:05, 10:03. This was in roughly 85* heat after work one day. Was happy with these times, though in reality this is no different than any other run I do, just this one is a "test".

Continue the ~35 miles per week plan with long runs hitting 14-18 range. Then yesterday I do another HR test that's 6 miles long and setup the same as last time. This time I do it Saturday morning and it was maybe 75*, warmup in 10:37 then do 8:12, 8:24, 8:40, 8:56, 9:04, a solid 40 seconds per mile faster per mile. Part of this can be due to better weather, but I'll take it.

Today was the first time I got crazy enough to get up at 5am to run. I had to do 19 miles and wanted to get some of it in while it was dark and also wanted it done before it was 90* out. I ended up doing the 19 miles in 3:10:09, inclusive of some walking and also my 2 stops to refuel water/food, so just funny it was within a few seconds of an exact 10 min/mile pace. I was happy with this timing and I had a lot of good miles early on, staying in upper 8's/low 9's for 16 miles. I had some abdomen cramps during the run and also my legs were pretty sore after about halfway. I ended up walking some during miles 17-19 just to loosen up the legs and get them feeling better.

I've been basically going out and doing these HR zone runs 5 times a week for a couple months. Just now adding in some hills. Really hoping this gets me into a good zone where I can just kind of go at Javelina. Right now its going pretty well and I am pretty well heat acclimated now, whereas the end of June I was feeling horrible out running I can kind of zone out on it now.

The only issue I'm having is with my HR monitor that came with my 910xt. It's the premium Garmin one and it has been glitching out on me a significant enough amount I need to replace it. Sometimes its after 5 miles, sometimes after 7 and sometimes after 10, but its almost a guarantee if I run double digit miles it will stop working. It stops reading briefly then it just goes down. I can be out doing a 9 minute mile and it says my HR is 60, after already doing 10 miles, lol. I'm unsure if I will just get another of the same one or not. Going to look into others, just not sure if Polar or something will work with my Garmin watch. Have to look into it because I "need" it to be reliable for the race. Though it is annoying as hell to wear so I might not wear it during all of Javelina, but that might be another good reason to get a different one as well.

Until next time! I said last time I'd update more often, but again the training isn't super exciting. Maybe once I start doing 20+ mile runs and/or more hills or something outside of run x miles at 145-150 HR lol.

#8330715 - 08/16/15 11:46 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
The only issue I'm having is with my HR monitor that came with my 910xt. It's the premium Garmin one and it has been glitching out on me a significant enough amount I need to replace it.

Is it this one:

If so, the Polar strap works just as well as the factory Garmin one, for a little less than the Garmin strap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XCLU66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

#8330859 - 08/17/15 09:30 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: SJP0tato]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Interesting, I didn't think of the strap itself as the problem so much as the unit. I might try picking up that Polar one and seeing how it goes.

But, yeah, that's the one I have, except the strap is different. This the one I have: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-.../prod15490.html

#8330922 - 08/17/15 10:34 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I was getting HR=[HR/2] more or less precisely for a while with my 'premium' garmin HR monitor

battery swap remedied the issue fwiw

also great job on the mileage D:

#8331302 - 08/17/15 01:53 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Maybe I will swap the battery then. Have to crack it open to see what it is. I just started using the HR monitor the past couple months but it is just over 1.5 years old.
#8331312 - 08/17/15 01:56 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

also my problems with mine started when I had it on for an ocean swim POST changing the battery. those little screws I stripped a couple [using a jewelers set I just suck] and I'm sure I didnt get the o-ring seal back on right post battery change

#8331499 - 08/17/15 04:16 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Ah yeah. I admit I don't do the care part at all. I don't wet it first, I don't rinse it off or anything. Though I do wash it with laundry every other week or so. I don't think any of that is the problem though, because I does work pretty consistently until ~7 miles then freaks out.
#8343096 - 08/27/15 09:06 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Going to do an old school style update.

Week 31 of training, total mileage scheduled was 36 but only did 33.

Tuesday: 6 miles [HILLS: 10-15 x Downhill repeats. Do these on the steeper downhill. Keep your HR at 145-150 on the downhills. Hike the uphillls as necessary to keep you HR < 145-150. ]

- This is the day I cut short, only did 3 miles. Did this after work and it had just finished raining when I got to the hill, did a warmup mile and it was decent out, but then the sun came out and cranked it up to 90 degrees instantly and was at least 175% humidity, just god awful ugly out. I did the 10 downhill repeats, which were tough. The hill is so short and steep I can't actually look at my watch to see my HR, I basically just bomb down it each time and walk back up, because even walking this hill back up I was a good 142 HR each time. I actually took the longer way twice to let my HR recover some. So, anyway, after the repeats I finished out the 3 miles and decided to call it quits. I was just exhausted, drank all my water, body was just done, and the weather on top of it was just the last straw.

Thursday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Another run after work in 90 degree and feels like 100+ weather. Took me 53 mins to do 5 miles from the weather and only had 2 of those miles even in my HR zone, the rest were lower. You'd be surprised how hard it is to run in this type of weather.

Saturday: 15 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- This was a tough run. Legs were really sore and mentally just wasn't in it. Though was spot on a 10 min pace which was nice, and weather wasn't horrible, did it early morning around 630am to 9am.

Sunday: 10 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- 1:35 timing on this, so under 10 min pace. This run was much better, after the initial warmup and getting my legs going it felt good. Was able to stay in my HR zone really well today.

So this wasn't a very long week, but was a very tough week. I had a lot of soreness in my legs this week and some extremely hot runs. I am visiting PA for the next 10 days or so and am VERY much looking forward to getting in some better weather runs.

I actually have a 10 mile race on Saturday morning, I've done the race twice before. 2012 in 1:52:49 and 2014 is 1:16:52, quite the improvement, but that 2012 one was my first over 5k race distance ever. I'm uncertain if I could do my PR right now, or even a 1:20. Good weather would help (it was 66 degrees last year) and also not sure how I want to do the race. Talking with Liza if I should either run the race 145-150 as usual the best I can, or perhaps try to go higher for a race pace and try to keep that, or even just run the race as hard as I can and afterwards see what my HR was. So when I update this again we'll see which way I go and how I do. \:\)

I will end August with 160 miles, not too bad, and the first week of September is scheduled for 44 miles, now that's serious, to me at least.

#8343255 - 08/27/15 10:47 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

isn't the 145-150 HR range a little high for 'base aerobic training' or no?

/noidea

#8343404 - 08/27/15 11:45 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: stickaz_old]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I guess it all depends on what your personal level is. I did some HR zone test runs and this is what I was told to run in. Therefore that's what I run in. ;\)
#8343413 - 08/27/15 11:48 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Oh, crap, I forgot. I bought a Polar chest strap and it is much nicer. I've only used it twice so far though. And only on my 7 and 5 milers this week, so nothing real long. But it is softer, stays in place better and all around just is better, lol. We will see if this fixes my issues with it not reading. It has worked flawlessly so far. I did have to trim the ends of where the HR monitor connects some for it to go in but seems good.

Also, I have always used my phone in my back pocket of my running shorts and just bought an armband. Used it twice so far and seems to work out really well. I think my sweat broke my phone and just had to buy a new one this weekend, hence the armband so that doesn't happen again lol.

Also, I bought some sun sleeves, they seem to work well. Again, only used twice so far, so no pro with them. But when I leave I can tell my arms are cooler and any time with any kind of wind or shade you can feel the difference, this is when is is 90+ out btw. Though, when I am directly in the sun it sometimes actually feels hotter, so we'll see after a few more runs what I think.

#8355944 - 09/07/15 01:00 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Back from a 12 day vacation to PA. The weather up there was close to perfect, makes me wonder how I ever run in the Florida heat! So here's an update since last one.

Week 32 of training was scheduled for 35 miles and I did 25. Ouch.

Tuesday: 7 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Ridiculously hot run after work, but did it.

Wednesday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Was above the HR zone the last 2 miles a lot, it was so hot that doing any movement that might be considered a jog would be above HR zone, so just did it and finished it. Also, a few hours after running my left calf cramped up something fierce, which sucked. I also noticed today I had some achilles tendon discomfort and it struck me that's happened a few times lately, so keeping an eye on that.

Thursday: Off (Flew to PA)

Friday: 3 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Yeah nice easy 3 miler in the morning in PA when it is 60 degrees, love.

Saturday: 10 miles [Rail Trail 10 miler race]

- Decided with Liza to just do this race semi-hard, try to negative split it, and don't pay attention to HR. We can look at what my HR was afterwards to kind of see how my body did. My watch was 9.87 miles and 1:19:39, my PR last year at this race was 1:16:52. Only a few minutes behind and I didn't give it 100%, so I was really happy with my time. I did negative split it but can't recall my halfway time off the top of my head, around 45 minutes, wasn't a huge negative split. Picked it up as it went on though, my miles were 8:22, 8:18, 8:22, 8:23, 8:21, 7:59, 7:57, 7:54, 7:40, 7:18 (full mile pace, but since my watch was at .87 it was actually only at 6:20).

Sunday: 10 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]
- Skipped this run. I was super busy over the weekend with fantasy football drafts, seeing friends, etc. I got home after midnight and had to get up by 7 for other stuff. So I would have had 4 hours of sleep to get up and run 10 miles in the dark. Just wasn't interested.

Week 33 of training was scheduled 44 miles and I ran...44 miles! Last 2 weeks were both under mileage, so doing full mileage was nice.

Tuesday: 8 miles [HILLS: 8-10 x 1/ 2 mile uphilll keeping HR 145-150 on the uphilll & downhill. Do your best to find a hill this long and about 8-10% grade in PA.]

- I did 2 long loops around a neighborhood on a hill, then 4 shorter loops around the top, then 2 final long loops and then finished the 8 miles. I have no idea what 8-10% grade looks like, looks like each mile I only got like 80 feet of elevation gain, which probably isn't enough, but coming from Florida those are big hills for me!

Wednesday: 7 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Hour long run in the morning with it being 63 degrees, freaking amazing. I had 1 mile over a 9 minute pace, and it was 9:01.03, lol. Total run was actually 1:00:40, would have gotten under an hour if I had actually looked lol.

Thursday: 9 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- This one was a little slower. Kind of tough, a lot of miles 3 days in a row along with lots of hills, I had one day with dedicated hills, but in PA every run has hills. Still enjoyed the run as the weather was good and just zoned out on podcasts.

Saturday: 20 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- I went to a local park for this one. 13 laps to hit 20 miles, all paved, very slight elevation. Total time was 3:13, including 2 stops at car for more propel/clifbloks. Moving time around 3:08. Happy with the timing. Weather could almost literally not have been better. 65-70 the whole time, major overcast with the sun out for maybe 5 minutes the whole time. Made it hard to try to keep up with the HR zone, I ran most of it in 140-145, with the weather so nice you have to run a lot faster and harder to get in that zone. And after this big mileage week my legs just didn't have that in them. I still only had 2 miles above 10 min pace, with them being 10:14 and 10:03, miles 18 and 19, so forgive me. Run was semi-tough on the mental side because of being out lapping the same place so much along with knowing I have longer runs coming up!

So there you go. That's a quick update on the past couple of weeks, just did 5 miles on the treadmill this morning so I wasn't out in rain. Liza updated the training plan and the long runs step up each week, the 20 I just did to 25, 25, 30, 40. So we'll see if my legs fall off or what. Unsure how I can possibly do 30+ miles in this heat, but I'll just go outside and run and the miles will stack up, lol.

#8356282 - 09/08/15 12:08 AM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Solid work man! Yeah, those long runs she's got scheduled for you would scare the shit out of me. A race? Sure no problem.....but a training run? Fuck that!

#8372301 - 09/20/15 07:02 PM Re: My road to ultras starts tonight. v. running blog (get it?) [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Another 2 week update and not as solid as I could have liked.

Week 34 of training, scheduled 47 miles of running and only did 32.1.

Monday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Did this on the treadmill due to lots of rain, treadmills suck, lol. First mile went from 6 to 6.5 to 7 to 7.5 to 8mph. Then ran 2 miles at 8mph and dropped it back to 7 and felt good and HR was in zone so left it there.

Wednesday: HILLS: Treadmill. Keep HR 145-150. Easy jog 2 miles. Then powerhike, increasing grade 1% starting at 8% for the next 5 miles.

- This was difficult, putting the treadmill at such a high angle I couldn't run and had to walk and hold onto the treadmill, which is totally cheating. But I couldn't get a good pace at such an odd angle and I had so much sweat on the belt any time I tried to run some I could feel my shoes slipping, lol.

Friday: 10 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- This was a shitty and fucking hot run, but I did it and it took me 1:49 to do it which is pretty slow.

Saturday: 25 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Only got 10.14 miles on this run. I was breathing really hard, couldn't even hit 145 HR and started getting some decent chest pain. Cut the run short, still had chest pain and went to a local urgent care place, got an ekg and showed an enlarged heart, of course I run so no surprise there, but no heart attack or anything. I went to the ER to get stuff checked out, blood work was good so I got sent to the "quicker" ER thing and it looks like it turned out to be pericarditis. Which is a good thing, nothing super serious. It was a take it easy for a bit and take Aleve type thing. So, luckily for me, I had the next 3 days off running anyway, so that worked out. Only hitting 10 miles instead of 25 sucked, but that run was ridiculously miserable, so I don't mind that much, lol.

Sunday to Tuesday I was off running because I drove to Atlanta for the Monday Night Football game! It was super awesome, did a decent amount of walking around but no running.

Week 35 of training, scheduled 51 miles, actually ran 40.4.

Wednesday: 6 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Warm up for 1 mile. Then for 5 miles Keep HR 145 - 150 (as close to 150 bpm as possible but not over)]

- This is supposed to be a sort of test of the HR zone training, though I ended up doing this on the treadmill instead. It was my first run since my issue on Saturday and the weather was rainy so I decided if I do it in the garage on the treadmill it is a more controlled environment in case I don't feel well and such. Well, I didn't have chest pains so that was great. Did decent on the run itself as well, did 6 mins at 6mph to warm up, then 6 mins at 6.3mph, 30mins at 6.5mph, 14mins at 6.7mph to finish in 56 mins for 6 miles. A nice smooth run that had me happy to be feeling good.

Thursday: 5 miles [RECOVERY: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150. Powerhike these hard.]

- Again, this says powerhike but I ran, considering my training got a little goofed up anyway, it is kind of whatever. I did this run harder than I should have, ran the last 2 miles above HR zone a lot, but it was in between normal work and more work later, so was pressed for time.

Saturday: 25 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Actually did 24.38, I ran with a group training for a marathon, they were doing a 24 mile run, so I just had my watch on the whole time that's why a random distance. I always leave mine on the whole time to simulate race experience, if only aid stations didn't count for your time! Lol. This run was insane because I got up at 3am to meet them at 3:45am, it was fantastic to be done by 8:30am though. And in Florida, even now, after 9am it gets ugly out. So the first half of this went really well, the second half (also good) I was above my HR zone the whole time almost. Instead of 145-150, it was 150-155. I wanted to keep up with them though and so had to push more to do that. The run was a million times better being with a group and in some areas I never ran before as well. Total time for 24.38 was 4:32, the others hit 24 miles in just under 4 hours (9:51-9:55 pace) so I am super happy with this time. This run means I'm going to do a sub-20 hour 100 miler right? Lol.

Sunday: 15 miles [LONG: Aerobic base training. Keep HR 145-150]

- Actually did 5 miles. Yeah, I suck. Not excuses, but the reasons are because my legs were pretty beat up from yesterday pushing harder (the last part was up and over a bridge, did 170HR coming down it and that was probably dumb, lol), I only have 1 other 20 miler lately as my longest runs and also no motivation. I have really lost all of my motivation for my long runs, got it done Saturday with the group but today was very meh. I was not in the space for it, worried about doing some stuff at home, shopping, football, etc. So, yeah, I suck.

So my thoughts right now are if I manage to finish the JJ100k I am going to be stoked. If my body/mind allows I will attempt the full JJ100m though. I am currently not wanting to even attempt these 30 and 40 mile runs taking 6-10 hours in Florida in heat on pavement looping my neighborhood and going insane. It has absolutely no appeal to me, I have really lost all motivation on this long stuff. I still want to go out and do the race, and will absolutely be under-prepared for it which I accept. I'm sure it makes sense to you guys that I don't want to go out and run 30 miles on pavement myself, but if there was a local 50k next weekend I could get myself into that mindspace to go do it.

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads