Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8279397 - 07/07/15 08:38 AM Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded.
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Thanks Toronto!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...rticle25334122/

Ontario's credit rating downgraded over heavy debt load, budgeting

JANE TABER

TORONTO — The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Jul. 06, 2015 10:22PM EDT

Last updated Monday, Jul. 06, 2015 11:50PM EDT

Standard & Poor’s is downgrading Ontario’s long-term credit rating, saying the province may be tackling its deficit but a multibillion-dollar 10-year plan for infrastructure spending will exacerbate its debt load

The downgrade, from double-A-negative to A-plus, comes because of a combination of “very high debt burden” and “very weak budgetary performance,” the major credit-rating agency says.

Since being re-elected last year, Ontario has been moving to cut the province’s deficit – projected to fall to $8.5-billion this year – by squeezing health care and education spending. But S&P is focusing, among other things, on the government’s intention to spend $130-billion over the next 10 years on transit and other infrastructure.

In addition to raising a red flag on the province’s long-term infrastructure plans, the rating agency chastised Queen’s Park for not being stricter on reining in its spending.

“Ontario has been slow to fully roll out the spending controls and revenues needed to eliminate its structural operating deficit, which has caused its tax-supported debt level to approximately double since fiscal 2008,” according to the analysis accompanying S&P’s decision.

Douglas Porter, chief economist at Bank of Montreal, characterized the downgrade as “a fairly significant move by Standard and Poor’s.” Mr. Porter called it “more of a report card on what has been than a look forward.”

“To some extent it reflects the fact that Ontario has had a relatively large buildup of debt since the recession hit,” he said. “In fact, by some measures, we have had the fastest buildup of debt among the provinces and that’s even as a share of the economy, that’s not just in dollar terms.”

This is the first Ontario downgrade by S&P since October, 2009, and it has been 27 years since the agency has given the province its highest rating, which is triple-A.

Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa was quick to issue a statement, putting a positive spin on the downgrade. He noted that S&P characterized the province’s economy as “very strong” and it said that “despite recent slow growth remains well-diversified and wealthy.”

In his spring budget, Mr. Sousa projected the deficit to fall further, to $4.8-billion next year, and then to be eliminated in 2017-18.

Ontario Progressive Conservative finance critic Vic Fedeli says the move by S&P shows the government has a “spending problem.”

As a result of the downgrade, says Mr. Fedeli, the province’s borrowing costs will rise. The consequence is that interest costs to finance the debt, which are already at $11.4-billion a year, will “now eat into the budget.” Ontario’s debt is $284-billion.

“It takes money away from services we enjoy,” he said, including education and health care as services that could be affected by higher borrowing costs.

PC Leader Patrick Brown issued a statement, adding to the list of services that could be affected by higher borrowing costs. He said it “means less money for long-term-care beds, improving transportation corridors or making crucial investments to lower hydro rates.”

This latest downgrade follows last December’s decision by another agency, New York’s Fitch Ratings, to lower Ontario’s rating to double-A-negative from double-A. At that time, Fitch warned the province may have difficulties balancing its budget by 2018.

But, in its analysis, S&P says that it expects Ontario to “remain on track” to eliminate its deficit by then.

Mr. Porter says Ontario has had some improvement in cutting the deficit, although he described that process as “achingly slow.”

“The main message to Ontario is that they have to keep their nose to the grindstone in terms of controlling costs and bringing that deficit down,” he said.

In the past year, Mr. Porter says, there has been a significant shift in the fiscal balance. For the first time, he says, the provinces’ combined debt is more than that of the federal government.

This is in contrast to the mid-1990s, when the federal government would have had twice the debt levels of the provinces combined, said Mr. Porter. But the federal government is now in much better shape compared with the provinces, which have not seen much improvement.

“Really, when we look at the fiscal issues of this country, we really have to look at the provinces first,” he said.

#8279442 - 07/07/15 09:08 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Greece here we come \:D

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8280570 - 07/07/15 06:40 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Wynne is too busy spending money on gender reassignment surgeries to care...
#8280664 - 07/07/15 08:10 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
the ontario politicians disgust me.

they only care about padding their pockets.

#8280937 - 07/08/15 05:35 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: zaius]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...rticle25348882/

Been saying it all along

#8280949 - 07/08/15 06:16 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/skyrocketing-electricity-rates-wreaking-havoc-with-ontario-businesses/article25348882/

Been saying it all along

You don't need to remind me. I'm a living example who lost a job BC the cost to run a production facility is too high in Ontario. I found out they're moving most of the equipment to Quebec and the Midwest. Anything left over is being scrapped for metal.

#8280953 - 07/08/15 06:23 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Dude, look at this

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-commen...ar-for-humanity

3% raise and signing bonus, stock in the company.

#8280955 - 07/08/15 06:26 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Dude, look at this

To this day, I struggle to understand why the torontoians gave the liberals the majority. To talk sense to toronto folks, and they'd call me foolish. Go figure.

#8281043 - 07/08/15 08:29 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Originally Posted By: c2k
Dude, look at this

To this day, I struggle to understand why the torontoians gave the liberals the majority. To talk sense to toronto folks, and they'd call me foolish. Go figure.

because you use generic terms like "toronto"

Toronto ranges from new immigrants struggling to make ends meet to bankers that makes more in one bonus than you would in a lifetime.

but the HydroOne move is to incentivize their workforce, what's wrong with that? someone who's vested in their company's performance will likely work harder/smarter/better

#8281072 - 07/08/15 09:01 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
Dude, look at this

because you use generic terms like "toronto"

Toronto ranges from new immigrants struggling to make ends meet to bankers that makes more in one bonus than you would in a lifetime.

but the HydroOne move is to incentivize their workforce, what's wrong with that? someone who's vested in their company's performance will likely work harder/smarter/better

Where's that?

As for the Hydro? At my dime when the hydro is already at the most expensive and inefficient?

#8281138 - 07/08/15 09:45 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Dude, look at this

Simple: UNIONS!

They were so afraid that the conservatives would take away their golden parachutes that they voted for the party that gave them those golden parachutes in the first place.

The other problem is that everyone else stayed home and didn't bother.

So if you're suffering right now and you didn't vote; you can blame yourself... a bit.

#8281476 - 07/08/15 12:01 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Just A Troll]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Which Union specifically? I know outside of Toronto its not the teachers and I can vouch for a few other government sector workers as well.

Having said that..... I did vote and it still blows my mind there are that many stupid people in the GTA to allow this to happen.

#8282910 - 07/09/15 11:40 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Police, Hydro, Teachers, Government etc. pretty much every public sector union came out in force to vote AGAINST the conservatives.

And you know that these unions have most of their membership in the GTA.

#8282911 - 07/09/15 11:44 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Just A Troll]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Good

#8282933 - 07/09/15 11:58 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
Good

#8283030 - 07/09/15 12:55 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Just A Troll]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: J.A.C.N.
Police, Hydro, Teachers, Government etc. pretty much every public sector union came out in force to vote AGAINST the conservatives.

I work in the government sector in the GTA and we were told not to vote for the liberals.

#8283038 - 07/09/15 12:57 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
You shouldn't be getting told to vote for anyone

#8283043 - 07/09/15 01:00 PM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
You shouldn't be getting told to vote for anyone

bruh, we r just sheeps. we otta do what dat union sez or we will lose dat package doe.

BAAAAA....

#8284251 - 07/10/15 10:08 AM Re: Thanks Toronto for the liberals! Credit Downgraded. [Re: c2k]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: J.A.C.N.

I work in the government sector in the GTA and we were told not to vote for the liberals.

Did you not see the OPP Union publicly telling their cops NOT to vote for the conservatives? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnxYkXwSv7U

Lots of other public sector unions did something similar.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads