Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8278354 - 07/06/15 01:09 PM Getting Hosed, Fack
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Took my 328i in for some maintenance. It needed a bunch of small things and as much as I would have liked to tackle them myself, someone familiar with the work would require the better part of the day to complete them. Therefore it would take me a couple of days plus any issues along the way. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of time to allocate for the work and so I took it to a highly reputable shop as per a local BMW Board that I am a member of on Facebook.

Timeline was as follows:

Thurs:
- They said to bring it in early on Friday as they would need 5 hours
- I drop it off late Thursday evening so that they can get cracking first thing in the morning

Friday:
- I touch base at 4pm and they said they're still working on it and it will be ready 8-9pm
- at 9:15pm I get a call indicating there is a problem

- Part of the work performed required the valve cover to be removed. According to the shop they found a small hairline crack on the outside of the cover. I was not informed. They applied high temp gasket sealer on the inside and outside of the cover where the crack would be in an attempt to prevent further spread of the valve cover crack however during installation the valve cover piece had separated. Now I need a new valve cover which retails for $588 +tax

- Personally I think they fucked it which is why they didn't tell me about the patch job and then when it was deemed unusable they decided to inform me. They stated that the hairline fracture was probably the result of a previous job but to my knowledge the valve cover has never been removed (I have a folder full of history from the original owner). Secondly wouldn't a leak be apparent even if it were just a hairline crack?

- I told them not to do anything as I have a contact at BMW who can get me a discount on parts.

Saturday:
- I told them my guy was out of town for the weekend and he would get me a price on Monday. They proceeded to replace the valve cover anyway (without telling me). When they informed me of this they said that I could pay my guy for the cover, give it to them and they would return it with their invoice.

- I picked up my car on Saturday and only paid (in cash) for the agreed upon services with the notion that I owe them a valve cover on Monday.

Monday:
- I called my contact and despite getting me 50% off in the past, for this item he could only do 32% so its still going to cost me $400 +tax.

What say you?

#8278383 - 07/06/15 01:29 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Violent Spectre Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Niagara Falls, ON
If you did not give them written/verbal approval to replace the VC then you owe them nothing. Unfortunately they just gave you a free VC.
#8278409 - 07/06/15 01:40 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Violent Spectre]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
that's REALLY shady. You do not owe them a valve cover.
You even told them not to do anything, as you have a contact for discount parts...but they went ahead anyway.

XD XD XD XD

#8278414 - 07/06/15 01:41 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Violent Spectre]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
That's a tough one.

Although they shouldn't have done shit once they found the vc had cracked except for calling you.

#8278419 - 07/06/15 01:45 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: 4age]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I'm a strong believer of Karma. I don't like screwing people over. However this story doesn't seem to line up. It seems as though they tried to cover something up (they didnt tell me about the crack) and now since there is no turning back I am out $400 +tax

Having said that, this guy is REALLY reputable. Tons and tons of people vouch for him. But for all I know, he wasn't the actually person working on the car.

#8278425 - 07/06/15 01:47 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Did he return the cracked VC? (update: err, return the cracked VC to you.)

Not sure what to think re: him returning the VC you would buy using his receipt... \:\|

Edited by furball (07/06/15 01:50 PM)

#8278429 - 07/06/15 01:48 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Options are

1) deliver the valve cover. Having said that, what if I give them a used one? They went ahead with the new cover themselves.

2) Don't deliver anything. Simply dont go back. However, there are of course other problems that could arise from this.

3) ???

#8278430 - 07/06/15 01:49 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: furball
Did he return the cracked VC?

Not sure what to think re: him returning the VC you would buy using his receipt... \:\|

No, the thought is he paid for a new VC upfront. When I deliver him mine (that I will have purchased at a discount) he will return it with his invoice, essentially getting his money back for paying for it upfront.

#8278432 - 07/06/15 01:51 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
They stated that the hairline fracture was probably the result of a previous job but to my knowledge the valve cover has never been removed (I have a folder full of history from the original owner). Secondly wouldn't a leak be apparent even if it were just a hairline crack?

I'm stuck on this

#8278434 - 07/06/15 01:53 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I would be to, that's just too shady.

They should have called you and asked what you wanted to do.

#8278437 - 07/06/15 01:56 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: LNXGUY]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I would be to, that's just too shady.

They should have called you and asked what you wanted to do.

When I mentioned that, they said they were just trying to save me money. They said there were only two options, try to fix the crack or replace the cover ($$$)

#8278454 - 07/06/15 02:06 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Rocco has been in shit before but he has made right with ppl iirc from my maxbimmer days. From an objective point of view I don't think he would be maliciously trying to screw a customer over as the backlash would be bad.

I would try to talk to him first hand with all the facts (in person) and leave the ball in his court. If he says get lost then you can reassess.

Also buy a used valve cover...

#8278455 - 07/06/15 02:07 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah but in the process they made a semi functional VC into a completely non-functional VC, lol.

#8278464 - 07/06/15 02:11 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Rocco has been in shit before but he has made right with ppl iirc from my maxbimmer days. From an objective point of view I don't think he would be maliciously trying to screw a customer over as the backlash would be bad.

I would try to talk to him first hand with all the facts (in person) and leave the ball in his court. If he says get lost then you can reassess.

Also buy a used valve cover...

Its not Rocco

#8278468 - 07/06/15 02:14 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I don't think he would be maliciously trying to screw a customer over as the backlash would be bad

I posted this issue on the FB group's page without naming names. Everyone was pretty much in line saying that its their fuckup and they were trying to cover it.

Having said that I posted on the group's page because I wanted the shop owner to see people's comments. He actually came out and said that it was his shop that I was referring to, again I didn't name names.

At that point people were saying that he wouldn't risk his reputation over something like this

#8278469 - 07/06/15 02:16 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

But fack, valve covers don't just crack on their own without having other major mechanical issues ... do they?
#8278472 - 07/06/15 02:22 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Since it boils down to his word against your gut, no one wins here. You can argue and battle him on it and maybe he'll fold, but you'll need to decide how much your time, and proving yourself right, is worth. In that case, you likely won't be going back to him for future work.

Or you buy the replacement cover now, end this transaction and move forward. In that case, you likely won't be going back to him for future work.

Time vs. money is the only variable here. And only you can decide which is worth more.

#8278478 - 07/06/15 02:31 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

I'd err on the side of just 'fuck it', chalk it up to bad luck/choice, and move on...
#8278481 - 07/06/15 02:33 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
Since it boils down to his word against your gut, no one wins here. You can argue and battle him on it and maybe he'll fold, but you'll need to decide how much your time, and proving yourself right, is worth. In that case, you likely won't be going back to him for future work.

Or you buy the replacement cover now, end this transaction and move forward. In that case, you likely won't be going back to him for future work.

Time vs. money is the only variable here. And only you can decide which is worth more.

I agree, but the question is, can I even prove I am right? Like you said its his word versus mine. No matter what I say there will be no proof.

#8278485 - 07/06/15 02:34 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: furball]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Valve covers cracking is quite common for e90s... I guess this is why we have a few in stock and when techs find cracks in them, they swap them out instead of trying to band-aid fix it.

also, not sure which dealer would give you an exact % off flat across the board when everything varies in margins.

#8278488 - 07/06/15 02:34 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: furball
I'd err on the side of just 'fuck it', chalk it up to bad luck/choice, and move on...

And just fork over $452?

But again what other option do I have? Simply not pay/deliver?

#8278489 - 07/06/15 02:35 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: phoenixrage]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
Valve covers cracking is quite common for e90s...

also, not sure which dealer would give you an exact % off flat across the board when everything varies in margins.

You're right, its not a percentage off. I was just using it as a measurement. It does vary from product to product.

#8278512 - 07/06/15 02:50 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Yea, small shit like plastic clips and screws have 70-80% markups, big items usually only 25-40%.

#8278518 - 07/06/15 02:51 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: phoenixrage]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
man i thought bmw was the be-all-end-all of cars and dealerships doe?!?!?!

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8278568 - 07/06/15 03:11 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
Damn that sucks OP, hope everything works out for you. I wouldn't go back to the shop but that's just me

#8278595 - 07/06/15 03:23 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: iamfob]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

^ you mean for future work or to deliver a new valve cover?
#8278600 - 07/06/15 03:24 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: iamfob]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
Wow. Tough call. Either way its potentially a spoiled relationship. Wtf was he doing work for without consent? Maybe offer to split it and nobody is out full cost. Also was his cost really lower than yours? Why make you go through all the work of getting another and then returning. Should have started at offering you his cosy. Since he outed himself elsewhere will you enlighten us as well, or link us?
#8278678 - 07/06/15 03:52 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: 87ZCSi]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Phoenix confirmed that valve covers crack often (why they do is another discussion but I would be curious to know) so maybe the shop didn't actually break it, however gluing it and ordering a new one is Mickey mouse shit. How good of a shop can it really be if they tried to fix it like they were on the side of the road in Baghdad. Fuck
#8278718 - 07/06/15 04:19 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
So which shop is it?
#8278776 - 07/06/15 05:08 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: phoenixrage]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
Valve covers cracking is quite common for e90s... I guess this is why we have a few in stock and when techs find cracks in them, they swap them out instead of trying to band-aid fix it.

+1

Once I read hairline crack on VC I wasn't surprised at all. What's shady is the shop going ahead even though you said not to. What place is this???

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8278855 - 07/06/15 06:13 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Well I guess I wouldn't be outing him as he outed himself on FB.

If by any chance you're a member of the BMW True North group on FB, here is a link to the thread: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwtruenorth/838883356208111/

His name is Leslie Du. I have spoken to him before and he seems like a nice guy. He comes highly recommended amongst many people in the group. He has been doing work (including walnut blasting) from his home garage but recently setup shop in Markham with another member in the group. Not sure if they have an actual name, they have two bays/hoists at a Petro-Canada location and specialize in BMWs.

#8278897 - 07/06/15 07:12 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Ok, yeah he's a decent guy. A little green since he's young and just started off. I've had good experience with him before.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8278898 - 07/06/15 07:16 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Sounds like some mickey mouse shit.

See if he will split the valve cover cost with you. ? In a perfect world he will eat the vc cost.

#8278914 - 07/06/15 07:31 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

See if he will split the valve cover cost with you. ? In a perfect world he will eat the vc cost.

Why should Leslie eat the cost of the VC? This is a known issue with these cars. I suppose Leslie should have informed the OP first that VCS are known to crack on these cars and by removing it, it might crack.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8278945 - 07/06/15 08:00 PM Re: Getting Hosed, Fack [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

Why should Leslie eat the cost of the VC? This is a known issue with these cars. I suppose Leslie should have informed the OP first that VCS are known to crack on these cars and by removing it, it might crack.

As odd as that might sound yes, he should have. If he specializes with these cars and is aware of the issue, he should have said "oh by the way, these things are very finicky and there is a chance that i might break your valve cover resulting in an additional $600". At that point I would have stood over his shoulder watching the removal and installation.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads