Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8269759 - 06/29/15 12:46 PM Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body...
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well I decided to start cutting 2 weeks ago...no real reason other than going on vacation in July and want more definition in my abs.

Starting weight: 190lbs
Goal weight 180lbs

Today it's been 2 weeks...I'm down 7 pounds and have really changed nothing else in my life....he claims you can lose up to 5-8 pounds per week without even working out...I bet you can if you are super diligent...I'm like 95% on it these two weeks with a few minor tweaks based on how my body responds to certain foods.

If you have never heard of it...read the 4-hour body. Super interesting book and theories on training and body transformation...many of which fly in the face of conventional thinking which I personally love.

If you dont want to read the book here are the basics:

1. Dont eat anything white or that was white (made of flour)
2. Eat the same foods over and over - dont shop in the middle of the store
3. Dont drink calories
4. Don't eat fruit
5. Take a cheat day once per week and eat anything and everything you want.

more here: http://www.4hourlife.com/2011/10/24/tim-...andouts-guides/

And here: https://medium.com/@erinfrey/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-slow-carb-diet-a67062761d92

Thought I'd share as I been seeing a lot of weight-loss threads in here. Worth a shot for anyone trying to lose weight IMO...

#8269875 - 06/29/15 01:48 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Detox
Water
#8269884 - 06/29/15 01:52 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

What about it?
#8269891 - 06/29/15 01:56 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Water... Weight
#8269901 - 06/29/15 01:58 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
if I've got a good crap bottled up in me that's a solid 3# of real gainz

#8269913 - 06/29/15 02:01 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: stickaz_old]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I might have passed an organ earlier

Thanks Starbucks blonde roast!

#8269921 - 06/29/15 02:04 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: stickaz_old]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

7 pounds of water weight...meh.

I've been 188-190 for 6+ months with few changes in my diet and water intake. Occasional miss given work travel but that comes back to regular day after I return usually.

Everything has stayed the same (including water consumption) except these new eating rules. I always see fluctuations 3-4 pounds per day...like today...weighed myself at the usual time was 183.4...I bet I'll be 185-86 by the time I go to sleep no doubt.

But this is over 2 weeks with all other things being equal weighed in at the same time each day. Call it water weight if you want...but my body measurements tell a different story.

This has been an experiment largely - based on what I've read people are having serious transformations with this...throwing it out there for those interested.

#8269992 - 06/29/15 02:41 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
So...pretty much like Atkins? \:D

#8270025 - 06/29/15 02:50 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

More or less.

This is nothing new, just packaged in a new way that is easy to digest for the average person.

Is it sustainable...I don't know. I don't plan to eat like this forever but rather incorporating elements of it into the way I already eat...which is basically this diet + fruit and booze.

#8270776 - 06/29/15 11:41 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I get it...and I usually do something similar whenever I want to cut out whatever pounds Im carrying that the runnning doesn't take care of. For me it's a super easy way to cut out all those shit calories that I know are doing me no favors (but fucking love anyways.) \:D

#8270958 - 06/30/15 08:34 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
You didn't lose shit because of a diet based on some unique thinking/science. You lost some water and likely a few pounds by not eating junk. I mean, don't drink calories just means if you did, not doing it cuts calories. We all know fruit juice, liquor and soda can pack some decent calories.

And any diet prohibiting fruit is fail.

I also don't like a cheat day per week. You can ruin gains pretty quick in a day of gluttony. Keep it to a meal if you must.

#8271048 - 06/30/15 09:35 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
WNDYCTYone Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CHICAGO
Interesting. But if I wanted to cut a few pounds in a somewhat-short amount of time I'd probably just do IF for a stretch.

PS4 - ChicagoGOBLUE

#8271078 - 06/30/15 09:48 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Impulsive]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
You didn't lose shit because of a diet based on some unique thinking/science. You lost some water and likely a few pounds by not eating junk. I mean, don't drink calories just means if you did, not doing it cuts calories. We all know fruit juice, liquor and soda can pack some decent calories.

I also don't like a cheat day per week. You can ruin gains pretty quick in a day of gluttony. Keep it to a meal if you must.

Meh...so far its working...and this is not about maintaining gains, this is simply about weight-loss...down another 1.5 pounds as of this morning to 181.8 - total of 8.2 pounds in 15 days...thats pretty damn good and beyond just water weight IMO. Especially if you consider that I am not counting calories and not limiting food intake whatsoever...simply changed a few of the inputs. Never claimed it was unique..this is basically Atkins diet with a twist.

I eat pretty damn well to begin with. The major change with this 'diet' has been eliminating fruit and going nuts 1 day per week to eat whatever I want...I used to do this but it was much less structured. In terms of the fruit...its hard for sure. But the way I think about it...my ancestors in Eastern Europe weren't eating Florida Oranges in December and somehow my genes were passed on just fine. The last 2 cheat days I ate a shit ton of it.

I did the cheat day I Saturday and I gained 5 pounds in 24 hours...by my Monday morning weigh in I was back to where I was before the cheat.

This flies in the face of convention and the thinking I had before I tried it as well...like someone else posted, In the past when I wanted to lose some weight quick I would fast and call it good....this has had the same results but I'm eating a bunch, my training has not suffered and all other variables have stayed the same.

For reference I was 190 pounds and about 18-20% bodyfat (tested via BodPod a in April), 350 pound back squat, 400 pound deadlift, etc......trying to get closer to that 10% mark just for shits and giggles.

I don't understand all the controversy/hate, lol. Its just something to try and see if it works...why not?

#8271630 - 06/30/15 01:41 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I'm all for whatever works for ya.

That said, never really been a fan of any regimen claiming a loss greater than 2 lbs/wk. For the average guy, they often fail to stick with it, unless it already compliments their strict lifestyle.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8274405 - 07/02/15 05:48 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
SharpSpoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
 Originally Posted By: HotHB
 Originally Posted By: Impulsive

Meh...so far its working...and this is not about maintaining gains, this is simply about weight-loss...down another 1.5 pounds as of this morning to 181.8 - total of 8.2 pounds in 15 days...thats pretty damn good and beyond just water weight IMO. Especially if you consider that I am not counting calories and not limiting food intake whatsoever...simply changed a few of the inputs. Never claimed it was unique..this is basically Atkins diet with a twist.

I eat pretty damn well to begin with. The major change with this 'diet' has been eliminating fruit and going nuts 1 day per week to eat whatever I want...I used to do this but it was much less structured. In terms of the fruit...its hard for sure. But the way I think about it...my ancestors in Eastern Europe weren't eating Florida Oranges in December and somehow my genes were passed on just fine. The last 2 cheat days I ate a shit ton of it.

I did the cheat day I Saturday and I gained 5 pounds in 24 hours...by my Monday morning weigh in I was back to where I was before the cheat.

This flies in the face of convention and the thinking I had before I tried it as well...like someone else posted, In the past when I wanted to lose some weight quick I would fast and call it good....this has had the same results but I'm eating a bunch, my training has not suffered and all other variables have stayed the same.

For reference I was 190 pounds and about 18-20% bodyfat (tested via BodPod a in April), 350 pound back squat, 400 pound deadlift, etc......trying to get closer to that 10% mark just for shits and giggles.

I don't understand all the controversy/hate, lol. Its just something to try and see if it works...why not?

What does a typical day of food look like for you now?

#8274624 - 07/02/15 09:35 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: SharpSpoon]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

This is what I ate yesterday..again, no calorie counting or portion control. I eat till I am full.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 2 pieces of organic bacon, some black beans all mashed together on top of greens. I added a little salsa to it this morning for flavor.

Mid-morning snack: cup of pre-cut veggies (peppers, carrots, celery, etc.) and 'green juice' (kale, chard, carrots, some other shit and a scoop of plant protein).

Lunch: Black beans, roasted beets, roasted broccoli and large chicken breast

Snack: handful of almonds and cup of cottage cheese

Dinner: Zucchini noodle salad, plus greens, avocado, peppers and large chicken breast.

I admit...its fucking boring and pretty bland....but I was basically eating this same stuff before just mixing in fruit and carbs (bread, tortillas, etc.).

If you eat well its easy to do...just cut out the carbs and eat exactly what you ate before more or less. Getting used to this has not been hard.

Weigh in as of this morning is 181.1 - down 9 pounds in 17 days with two cheat days in between where I drank a bunch of beer and ate a while Pizza to myself.

I feel good overall and continue to train 5-6 days per week with no noticeable performance decline

#8279542 - 07/07/15 09:56 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hit my goal of 180 pounds the other day...Saturday morning. 10 pounds in 19 days without a single calorie counted or portion controlled meal.

Oh...and yesterday I hit a new PR on my backsquat... But i think it was just water weight... ;\)

#8282130 - 07/08/15 07:58 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
Agent Orange Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Suburbs of Colorado
Sounds pretty Paleo to me.

#8282401 - 07/09/15 07:10 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Agent Orange]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
I fucking hate these diets...

And yeah you've essentially lost a bunch of water, possibly some fat (depending if you've been in a calorie deficit)...

You cut out your carb sources, and you will drop water fast...

The "cheat meal"... eat whatever, however much you want is a fucking joke too... cause you can easily add 6-10lbs in a day by binge eating...

#8282625 - 07/09/15 09:45 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: DieZel]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

agreed, OP sorry about those fat gains. Better luck next time?

#8282673 - 07/09/15 10:01 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: stickaz_old]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Meh...its kind of the point to gain 6-10 pounds that day. The science and personal testing seems to indicate that it acts as a reset...I was under the same impression as you till 3 weeks ago. I just tried it and its been working.

Last week I gained about 5 pounds on the 'cheat day' - I was back to the same weight I was cheat day morning by Monday.

Maybe its water weight, but my body measurements tell a different story...but I hit the goal I wanted quickly and more or less without any issues or heartache. I was never hungry, never had to count calories, etc.

I'm leaner everywhere with no dip in performance which I have never experienced with a fast....you guys crack me up. Make sure you drink that protein shake the second you are done lifting to hit the metabolic window, brah ;\)

#8283691 - 07/09/15 06:23 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

uses broscience to discredit broscience
#8284711 - 07/10/15 01:46 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

OP is clearly doing it right, why we gotta be all negative nancy up in here? Sure it is PROBABLY ~/= impossible to lose more than 1-2# of actual fat/week, but who the fuck cares?

#8284802 - 07/10/15 02:51 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: stickaz_old]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

178.6# this morning ;\)
#8284938 - 07/10/15 04:02 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Good work. I don't think slow carbs had shit to do with it, just eating better.

#8288455 - 07/13/15 08:37 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Impulsive]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
sounds just like ultimate diet, carb night, carb backloading. all it is, is a niche way to shift things around to produce desirable results while giving you a small window to maintain responsibility over your mouth and then giving you a day to go hogwild within reasonable means not knowing how much of a fatass you can truly be in one day.

Depending on the person it can go the way it's supposed to or it can go to shit. In any case if it works for you then great, but long term it won't be sustainable. Eventually the reward is going to become more desirable than the work and you'll start calorie shifting and develop an eating disorder.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.

#8288469 - 07/13/15 08:45 PM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: 137]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
UD is sustainable if you do a more modest calorie decrease instead of doing what I did and aim for less than half of your TDEE.
#8289032 - 07/14/15 10:18 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: 137]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 137
sounds just like ultimate diet, carb night, carb backloading. all it is, is a niche way to shift things around to produce desirable results while giving you a small window to maintain responsibility over your mouth and then giving you a day to go hogwild within reasonable means not knowing how much of a fatass you can truly be in one day.

Depending on the person it can go the way it's supposed to or it can go to shit. In any case if it works for you then great, but long term it won't be sustainable. Eventually the reward is going to become more desirable than the work and you'll start calorie shifting and develop an eating disorder.

Clap.gif

The cheat days wreck me

#8289041 - 07/14/15 10:25 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: 137]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 137

Totally agree on the sustainability piece...

Honestly so far it has not been that hard. The cheat days i don't feel like i gorge...i just eat stuff that I want to.

I like the 'diet' - its had a nice impact so far and I intend to stick with elements of it long term with like a 80-90% commitment...i have no desire to eliminate fruit long-term and or pass on the burger bun.

This has simply been an experiment - going on vacation next week and looking/feeling cut ;\)

Have leveled off this week...I think like you said given I just need a certain amount of calories to keep up training levels and energy...

176.4 this AM...4 pounds below my goal weight. total weight loss = ~14 pounds in less than a month.

Don't care who you are..thats pretty nuts IMO....especially since performance has not fallen off...(PR'd my back squat last week...)

#8578468 - 03/05/16 08:50 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
colopop Offline
Poster

update?
#8578513 - 03/05/16 10:29 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: colopop]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Not eating fruit to lose weight \:\|
#8579834 - 03/07/16 09:54 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: colopop]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: colopop
update?

This shit works...haters gonna hate.

I'm steady at 180lbs sticking to this ~80-85%...I've modified it a bit and added in more carbs after training sessions, but thats it (aside from Cheat day which for me is Saturday).

I've been at this for almost 9 months and its just normal now...I dont miss carbs, fruit, cheese etc.

Weight has remained steady at 180 - abs are super visible and I feel great...performance continues to increase as well.

More here for those that are interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/4hourbodyslowcarb

#8579920 - 03/07/16 11:13 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: HotHB]
MurderHornetVR6 Offline
Post Master Supreme

9 months to lose 10 lbs

Seems legit

#8579944 - 03/07/16 11:24 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: Risky Business]
WNDYCTYone Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CHICAGO
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Not eating fruit to lose weight \:\|
Diabeetus from all them apples tho.

PS4 - ChicagoGOBLUE

#8580044 - 03/07/16 11:57 AM Re: Tried the Tim Ferriss Slow-carb diet from 4-hour body... [Re: MurderHornetVR6]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: killerOBee1
9 months to lose 10 lbs

Seems legit

I lost 15 pounds in the first month and gained lots of definition in my mid section...goal was not about weight loss but rather about definition...

I've leveled out as I find my body to perform best at ~180 pounds...I've never been able to stick at that weight in the past, always moved up to 185-190 no matter what I did...all else being equal and working out regularly. this has helped me maintain the 180 mark (cut easily for competition if needed).

I feel good, and performance continues to rise - measured by Front squat, back squat, and deadlift.

I believe in this and think its super easy for the average person...its simple science

1. Limit insulin spikes
2. burn fat
3. ???
4. profit

But CSi knows better...a calorie IS a calorie after all, right...? ;\)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads