Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8222791 - 05/25/15 05:11 AM spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Was your universitiy degree or college educatio worth the debt? Did it open doors for you and are you working in your filed and getting paid appropriately?
#8222807 - 05/25/15 07:41 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
GimpCivic Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
My university degree is not in the field I am working in but it was used as a stepping stone to post graduate designations; so yes, it did in fact open doors and was worth the investment imho.
#8222822 - 05/25/15 08:43 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: GimpCivic]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
No but the course gave me the tools to jump right in And adapt to the field I went into
#8222826 - 05/25/15 08:46 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: loudsubz]
Big Tasty Online   pandAr
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
The last college course may have helped me get into the company I am in now but was not worth the cost imo.
#8222833 - 05/25/15 08:50 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Big Tasty]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Back then.. it got me a job right away in the field, and since back then I didn't have much in terms of bills to pay, most of the debt was paid off before the industry took a dive. But my jobs after that didn't really have anything to do with what I went to school for, other than some side projects within the company.

#8222845 - 05/25/15 09:02 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
Was your universitiy degree or college educatio worth the debt? Did it open doors for you and are you working in your filed and getting paid appropriately?

The way you are asking the question it puts the onus on education to do the "work" instead of individual effort. Whether or not education is "worth the debt" will be determined by the individual not vice versa.

#8222853 - 05/25/15 09:08 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

read the original thread in OT. Crazy how much debt people wrack up with little chance of getting a good job to pay it off.
#8222866 - 05/25/15 09:20 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Lots of questions in there.

I'd say it was worth it for everyone who did it.
While school debt can add up here thankfully it's not on a level most would see at top tier schools in the US.

Outside of specialized schooling(lawyer,healthcare jobs) most will likely end up side stepping to some extent.

Is op encouraging kids to drop out of school ? That's a sound idea. I love it.

#8222868 - 05/25/15 09:22 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Yes and No to a degree. My current job is completely unrelated to what I went to school for but my degree landed me a job though.

if I had to do this all over again - I'd go into skilled trades.

#8222908 - 05/25/15 10:00 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: c2k]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
I've never officially worked within my field with anything I've ever learned in school, however being able to tell people I have the designation which has never been verified has allowed me to build trust. I left school with no debt whatsoever. My parents provided me food and shelter.

Canuck, what about you?

#8222918 - 05/25/15 10:03 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: 87ZCSi]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
No debt out of school (I paid rent, parents paid for tuition)

I wish I would have taken that co-op with OPG though!

#8222958 - 05/25/15 10:38 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: 87ZCSi]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
I've never officially worked within my field with anything I've ever learned in school, however being able to tell people I have the designation which has never been verified has allowed me to build trust. I left school with no debt whatsoever. My parents provided me food and shelter.

Canuck, what about you?

Never worked in my field, however the process of learning to learn was invaluable. That said, I certainly won't encourage my kids to get liberal arts degrees. Even the big professions are hard to break into now. Risky posted about the lengthened path to make partner in Accounting, even things like law, there are fewer articling positions open.

#8222961 - 05/25/15 10:42 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: LNXGUY]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
No debt out of school (I paid rent, parents paid for tuition)

I wish I would have taken that co-op with OPG though!
Neighbour is journeyman, not sure what kind. He's worked on CAMH and the Cambridge Toyota plant. Last year he got full time employment with OPG. They are working 7 days a week on some project. He's said that he';s never made so much money before . He has a 2002 in the garage, lime green, and drives a rusted out golf to work , DINK, no kids. Keeps talking about buying a 1970s porsche.

#8222995 - 05/25/15 11:45 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
off course not, i went to u of t \:\(

#8222996 - 05/25/15 11:47 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
yes and no.
college got me a good paying job during co-op and after grad to pay my college debt.
university gave me the job that made me realize where I really wanted to be while paying off the debt.
when debt free made moves out of my education field but came out with experience in transferrable fields. I think I could have done without university but you never know...

#8223231 - 05/25/15 06:03 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
I was booted out of university, not worth the debt.
#8223273 - 05/25/15 07:43 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: robbbby]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
I was lucky, before i got the job in the ER i was working part time (but getting full time hours) in locating at the hospital. this gave me two perks, 1. i got 19% in lieu of benefits and 2) let me take advantage of the education grant my hospital gives, they pay 1/2 of your school fees as long as you pass, and then my tax return every year covered the rest. add to that the good money i was making part time (almost $30/hr) and i didn't have any school debt. finished school, got the permanent full time position in the ER, and there you go.

Edited by titty sprinkles (05/25/15 07:43 PM)

#8223427 - 05/25/15 09:59 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: titty sprinkles]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Worth the debt, yes. Paid that off quickly, land a job in my field yes & no. The most recent return I landed a job, but quickly found it was a lot of positions without any growth, being a deadend path.

Took up work with a buddy that had his own company, while doing my own thing. Currently building on both before the kid requirements become overwhelming where I have to cutback on hours.

#8223483 - 05/25/15 11:19 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada

No debt. I lived at home; my parents helped me with my first year tuition. I paid for the next 3 years from my Summer job money (2 years at UofT; 1 year at the bank I'm currently back in. Also did part time in 4th year at UofT). Saved a shit ton by making my own Pacific Mall special of text books; then bulk sell to my friends / classmates so my expenses were virtually free. \:D

Opened doors? I'd consider that I squeezed on by (instead of having the perverbial door slam shut in my face). I graduated in '01 - the beginning of dot bomb / post y2k. so the stories of signing bonuses and crazy starting salaries were dwindling. Out of my friends; I was one of the first ones to land a job (2 months after graduation; some struggled with a year or so before finding work). Starting salary was not what I expected; but was able to put away enough to get started in life (continued to live at home until '03).

Definitely not working in the field that I studied in -- my rationale for my degree choice was if an employer has to flip through a pile of resumes; the # of B.A. Sc. / B. Eng. is fewer than say a B. Art / B. Math degree - would figure that'd get me higher in the pile.

In terms of pay - I'm definitely getting dogged; especially when catching up with classmates / coworkers that have moved on (to contracting). I'm not aggressive enough with my career [to me, moving up doesn't necessarily translate to more pay -- especially the "slight" increase may mean a lot more responsibility].

I'm pretty sure I've turned into a lifer about 5 years ago -- but I'm riding out the perk of coming and going pretty much whenever I want so I can maintain some work-life balance (and bail from the office at the drop of a hat if / when I have to deal with kid(s) on a sick day, etc.).
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8223595 - 05/26/15 07:36 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: hyper-s2k]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
University was a waste of time, but it's one of those things that you must do/have if you are going to work in a white collar job. Check it off the list and move on. I wouldn't say that it opened any doors for me other than to pass the screening list.

Like many Asian kids, my parents paid for all of my school, and I lived at home for free. I was working part time making some decent money, relatively speaking, but I spent a lot of my money on cars, going out, etc. My kids will have it the same way, except maybe I will make them pay a little rent that I will invest for them and give back.

My view on university for my kids is that, unless they are going into a trade, they must go to university and either take something professional (eg. medicine, engineer, etc) or just take business. None of this arts stuff that is worth nothing in the real world.

I took business at UofT and work in product management, so I guess what I took is related.

#8223610 - 05/26/15 07:49 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh

for me yes, not that it was anything crazy over the top but still req'd for the job i ended up in. mind you, for myself speaking French helped tons for jobs, so it was always easy to find an opening if i needed to. pay, can't complain.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8223815 - 05/26/15 10:28 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Goddamn frog!!^^^^
#8223841 - 05/26/15 10:37 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: SW20_MR2]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2

My view on university for my kids is that, unless they are going into a trade, they must go to university and either take something professional (eg. medicine, engineer, etc) or just take business. None of this arts stuff that is worth nothing in the real world.

So much this!! Otherwise its just wasted money and time

#8223847 - 05/26/15 10:40 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

While an arts degree doesn't necessarily translate directly to a job (fuck what does now a days anyways ?) I wouldn't call it useless at all. It's good for society overall. Lots of jobs out there Tha t don't require specific schooling , but benefits from having an educated person doing it and being part of the company.

#8223900 - 05/26/15 11:07 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, well good for society means diddly when it comes to paying the bills.
#8223927 - 05/26/15 11:21 AM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8224006 - 05/26/15 12:09 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Euphoricuck]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
In general,

Professional degree/trades > business degree > arts degree > college diplopa > nothing

For white collar jobs at least, you must have university, so having an arts degree at least gets you through the minimum requirements. So you`re right. I should rephrase my comment to say, the content in an arts degree is useless for your future career, but having the piece of paper and going through the process to hone skills (eg. organization, networking, etc) will provide value in the future.

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
While an arts degree doesn't necessarily translate directly to a job (fuck what does now a days anyways ?) I wouldn't call it useless at all. It's good for society overall. Lots of jobs out there Tha t don't require specific schooling , but benefits from having an educated person doing it and being part of the company.

#8224031 - 05/26/15 12:22 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: SW20_MR2]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
 Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
In general,

Professional degree/trades > business degree > arts degree > college diplopa > nothing

For white collar jobs at least, you must have university, so having an arts degree at least gets you through the minimum requirements. So you`re right. I should rephrase my comment to say, the content in an arts degree is useless for your future career, but having the piece of paper and going through the process to hone skills (eg. organization, networking, etc) will provide value in the future.

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

jump from high school straight to Trades

or go to an "easier" univ, get good grades and post grad...

or as above + CFA, FRM, PMP blahblah blah

#8224054 - 05/26/15 12:34 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: f22b-dohc]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Get certified in Scrum.
#8224168 - 05/26/15 01:40 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Not sure if serious re: scrum.

I just got CSM + CSPO, will apply for CSP in about a month. Not very helpful.

I came out of uni with a rather large debt load, despite free room + board at the time. Paid 50% of it back at graduation (internship saved my ass), and the rest over 3-4 years.

While my uni did help, it was the internship that really launched my career. One thing I didn't have as much as I'd like was direction; I didn't have that... big brother/mentor role.

I was stuck on a few concepts as to why this or that WOULDN'T work, or that it was too hard, etc... I didn't have anyone to bounce those ideas off of, that those things stopping me were simply DETAILS that were to be overlooked. \:\(

Drive to succeed/change is important; so is your support network, i.e. mentors.

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
Get certified in Scrum.

Edited by furball (05/26/15 01:41 PM)

#8224334 - 05/26/15 03:31 PM Re: spin off from OT - College or Uni debt and job prospects [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie _82
Get certified in Scrum.

+1, that's what I would do.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads