Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8169660 - 04/13/15 02:03 PM Learn me on flashes
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So the little one means I'm taking a lot more indoor shots, and with her propensity to move, it can be hard to capture. More aperature works in some cases, but too shallow of DOF is limiting, and ISO of course comes with issues.

So I use the built in flash sometimes, but it's harsh, not powerful and dialing it down is limiting, plus it sucks on portrait mode.

Super casual photography just looking to get what amounts decent amateur shots, cannon 50D.

I'm thinking I want basic functionality, including off-camera? Shooting with a cannon. And what accesssories should I get?

First thoughts:
EX430
Lightsphere
Cowboy studio remote trigger

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8169705 - 04/13/15 02:31 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: ]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

430exii should be just fine for your needs.
Lightsphere gets good reviews.
Look at Yongnuo 622 transcievers. Dirt cheap and I havent had an issue with mine in about two years of semi-regular use.

#8169796 - 04/13/15 03:37 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: trench301]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
A 430 (mk1 is fine) and a stofen will be good enough.

Skip the triggers and off-camera stuff. You'll never use them chasing a kid around.

#8170854 - 04/14/15 12:12 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: eddie _82
A 430 (mk1 is fine) and a stofen will be good enough.

Skip the triggers and off-camera stuff. You'll never use them chasing a kid around.

This.

There are little devices that'll bounce the on camera towards the ceiling, that would improve the harshness a bit, but the 430 and a stoffen would be legit

The Stoffen will redirect light up and out. The up and out will diffuse and bounce the light making it more diffuse, which will improve the 'quality of light'. By bouncing off the ceiling and wall, you're making a larger light source for softer light, and also redirecting it, negating the 'need' for the remote triggers. It'll be a pain in the ass trying to place the light and keep positioning it as the tyke moves around. They're cheap, would be fun to play with, but not necessary.

Edited by chef (04/14/15 12:15 PM)
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8170901 - 04/14/15 12:25 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: ]
Kierf Offline
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

I have a Gary Fong Lightsphere I got about 8 years ago. It's a little big and unwieldy, but it works like a champ. I like that I can easily switch out the white top for a yellow top for different light.
http://www.garyfongestore.com/flash-diffusers.html

#8170902 - 04/14/15 12:26 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: chef]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Seems like some reviews say the stoffen is shit, that it's still quite hot/non diffuse and still cuts total output a lot.

Thoughts? Don't stress the minor shit on $12 part? The lightsphere isn't $40 better for what it does?

#8170919 - 04/14/15 12:32 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: ]
busfare Offline
tickets plz
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dark Side of the Moon
most simple setup...just get a 430 and bounce it off a white wall/ceiling. it'll soften it up enough for what you're looking for.

i've even held up a 4x6" index card at 45° in front of my old 20D popup flash to bounce it up to the ceiling. works in a pinch.

in terms of how hard or soft a light is...it's the size of the light relative to the size of the subject.

the tiny popup flash is tiny compared to a person = harsh light. bounce that up into the ceiling and the light source effectively becomes as big as the pool of light on the ceiling = softer light.

the far away sun is tiny and makes harsh light and hard shadows during a bright day. but stand close and the same sun is ginormous compared to you... and it'll produce all sorts of soft light/soft shadows.

stofen doesn't do much b/c it doesn't really change the size of the flash.

#8170945 - 04/14/15 12:45 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: ]
chef Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Seems like some reviews say the stoffen is shit, that it's still quite hot/non diffuse and still cuts total output a lot.

Thoughts? Don't stress the minor shit on $12 part? The lightsphere isn't $40 better for what it does?
Yeah the deal is that you're trying to spread out the size of the light source, make it larger, to make it appear softer on the subject. You can put a small cap on it for $60 or whatever the fong is, or you can put a little smaller cap on it for $12. Incremental gains I guess? You're spreading the output of the light around to more areas, so now the light is lessened, but bouncing around from multiple directions to fill in shadows. With both products. In my case, it'd be a lot more likely to be used if it was something small that I could just leave clipped on and not pack separately or something. I'm going to be doing some testing soon with my cheap modifiers and a friends slightly more expensive modifiers, and hopefully I can get ahold of some expensive modifiers. It'd be kinda fun to test these bits too.

I had the stiffen's for some older flashes, now I have the one that comes with the SB-910's. I also have that Rogue panel that velcro on and you can sort of direct it with the bendy wires inside. there's mini beauty dish bullshit things you can put on a speed light. You could look at the ring light attachments. I'd like to play with one of those

Edited by chef (04/14/15 12:48 PM)
Order my photo prints (New files uploaded)

#8170999 - 04/14/15 01:17 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: chef]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
There's a metric million flash modifiers out there. Some are better than others, and costs vary.

You can get a Sto-fen knock-off for about $10. It's small and effective versus a bare flash. You can spend more and get more complex systems, but they're bigger, take more time to set up (since most are adjustable in some manner) and odds are you'll never notice the difference.

KISS

#8171779 - 04/14/15 10:49 PM Re: Learn me on flashes [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

Get the stofen if you plan on pointing the flash at your subject. If you plan on bouncing it (which in general will look better), the stofen will just reduce your light dispersion and is not recommended.

Any hot shoe flash should work just fine.

If you want to do any off-camera lighting, look into the yongnuo flash guns and triggers. I've had mine for about 4+ years now and they're still working great.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads