Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8083590 - 02/08/15 05:01 PM anyone use ooma voip here?
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
seems to get good reviews, buy adapter and just pay the necessary services fees per month (mandatory like E911 etc) but still it comes to like $4 a month

my contract is coming up and I'm looking at other options for home phone since we still use it a lot.

anyone have ooma here?

#8083710 - 02/08/15 06:52 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
Is there any other phone or voip providers that will let you use your existing bell number? My parents pay like $60/month just for bell home phone which is fucking ridiculous. I called teksavvy to see about getting their phone service or voip but they said bell will not let them use their existing number.
They've had that same number for 35+ years, they can't go changing it now, but would obviously liek a cheaper alternative.

/threadjack

#8083783 - 02/08/15 07:58 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: robbbby]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't see why not. Ooma lets you port the number over for $40 one time charge. My parents also ported their number over from Bell to Rogers home phone when they switched without issue.
#8084122 - 02/09/15 07:41 AM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Parents are on iTalkBB ... It's like $7/mth, ported their old 416 number no problem.
#8084261 - 02/09/15 10:19 AM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: furball]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
I'm curious is this even possible....

Can you port a residential number to a cell phon?

#8084575 - 02/09/15 01:07 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: loudsubz
seems to get good reviews, buy adapter and just pay the necessary services fees per month (mandatory like E911 etc) but still it comes to like $4 a month

my contract is coming up and I'm looking at other options for home phone since we still use it a lot.

anyone have ooma here?

bro in law and parents both use it. happy thus far. seems pretty clear to me when i call too.
i think costco has the cheapest deals on the kit.

#8084641 - 02/09/15 01:39 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: c2k]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
 Originally Posted By: c2k

don't think so

#8085074 - 02/09/15 05:07 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: c2k]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: c2k

if you have a voip plan you can get a softphone app and use your same credentials to receive and place calls from your phones

#8086063 - 02/10/15 10:08 AM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
SilverSiR2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

My parents have it, doesn't seem to be as reliable (powercycle every now and then) as Rogers but it's much cheaper and the quality is the same.

#8086150 - 02/10/15 10:48 AM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: SilverSiR2]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

voip.ms is like $2/mth ...

You have to purchase your own hardware...

#8149282 - 03/28/15 02:21 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

BUMP ...

I've finally went about setting up VoIP.ms at home... WITH A NEW NUMBER.

Holy shit the quality is good. The setup was rather simple, once you get past a few things...

Newbie Tip: If you're purchasing the Cisco SPA122, and you cannot connect to it via http, connect directly via the WAN port, and not via wifi. Then, log in and enable remote management. ... This got me stuck for like 1-2 hours. \:\|

General Steps
- Go to CanadaComputers, and pick up the Cisco SPA112 or SPA122. I picked up the SPA122 for $10 more, but will probably never use the extra features.
- Differences, read this: http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/02/cisco-spa112-spa122-voip-ata-whats.html
- Read the manual briefly, and know you can get to the VoIP menu by pressing **** ...
- Go to VoIP.ms, and sign up. Pay $25USD.
- I opted for a 'DID' (i.e. phone number) for $0.85 USD/mth \:o You can also opt for a 1-800 number
- Caller ID lookups are $0.008/lookup.
- I also opted to pay per minute, at $0.009xx/min, i.e. 1 penny/min. There are flat monthly plans as well.
- Follow this HowTo: http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/02/configuring-cisco-spa112-ata-with.html

It was one of the better 'install experiences' I've had in a long, long time. Wasn't stressful.

Newbie notes
- On the SPA122, there are 2 ports. Think of them as 2 separate 'lines'. If you want 2 land phones to ring, you'll need an old-school splitter, connected to LINE1. (Trust me, I've been thru this portion already)
- So technically, you can have 2 separate phone lines. One for the family, and another for the Bat Phone.
- VoIP.ms has 'Premium' and 'Value' quality plans. It defaults to Premium. Value is roughly half the price of Premium (half a penny/min vs a penny) ... People have said Value is noticeably shit. So I've left it at Premium.
- You can 'fake' your caller ID number to another number, it's a simple configuration value.
- Voice mail is free, and I've configured it to email me the voice mail.

In terms of overall RELIABILITY, that's a different story ...
- Momma's iTalkBB line dropped dead for a few days, and she doesn't know to reboot/etc the box...
- Mine went into a fritz when the Rogers modem dropped; I needed a full-blown reboot of the Rogers modem, and then a reboot of the phone line itself...
- So, while it's 'ok' if you're savvy, it's not exactly brain-dead reliable like a Bell/Rogers phone...

A buddy is opting to go via FreePhoneLine.ca .... Which as far as I can tell, the 'unlock code' is pretty much a pre-paid SIP account, for a one-time cost of ~$60 ... that lasts 'forever'...

Stuff to do:
- Wire tucking/etc..
- firmware upgrade
- static IP
- Finding a free PC and iOS app that can use my SIP credentials

Edited by furball (03/28/15 02:40 PM)

#8149324 - 03/28/15 03:25 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: furball]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

I too signed up with voip.ms when my vbuzzer account expires. So far have been really impressed with it but only used it with the 3cx soft phone app on my iPhone

The best voip adapter out there is the obi hai units but they are $$ I plan to buy one to replace my pap2

#8149331 - 03/28/15 03:44 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I signed my parents up for ooma, I fucking regret it, been nothing but hell so far.
#8149334 - 03/28/15 03:53 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: robbbby]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Really? That blows. I read good things about it...but that doesn't mean all the setups are flawless ... What issues so far?
#8149342 - 03/28/15 04:27 PM Re: anyone use ooma voip here? [Re: loudsubz]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I cannot put my cerdit card on file so that they can bill me, and I need it to be there so I can start the process to port an existing number. I've tried multiple credit cards without luck, i've called them 3 times now and they've tried manually entering different credit cards with no luck. They just keep telling me the billing department will call me, it's been a fucking week now.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads